Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:56:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 [239] 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058407 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 02:28:51 PM

Bots are generally closely guarded secrets because they're so powerful. They take away the emotions of trading, so you can set a strategy and just let it go

I am seriously uncomfortable with the entire thing, to write for Devtome forces me to become a currency trader, something I wouldn't do in any other environment to get paid for my work.  I suspect a lot of newcomers are going to be challenged by it as well so a bot would be awesome and might make this just a little less traumatic for some of us Smiley

If you are able to make one for commercial sale, would it ever be affordable for a writer or developer being paid in DVC?

I may be able to write up a quick PHP implementation of the EMT volatility bot, and people could deposit their devtome DVC and the bot could trade their DVC online.  Shares of the trading profit could be sold as well, which would give Hunterbunter another six shares too!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dalamar96

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 02:43:50 PM

Bots are generally closely guarded secrets because they're so powerful. They take away the emotions of trading, so you can set a strategy and just let it go

I am seriously uncomfortable with the entire thing, to write for Devtome forces me to become a currency trader, something I wouldn't do in any other environment to get paid for my work.  I suspect a lot of newcomers are going to be challenged by it as well so a bot would be awesome and might make this just a little less traumatic for some of us Smiley

If you are able to make one for commercial sale, would it ever be affordable for a writer or developer being paid in DVC?

I may be able to write up a quick PHP implementation of the EMT volatility bot, and people could deposit their devtome DVC and the bot could trade their DVC online.  Shares of the trading profit could be sold as well, which would give Hunterbunter another six shares too!

I would rather have a python version myself so I can watch it in a console rather then having to rely on a web server and connection to it through a browser or what not to run it.

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
DVC:   1ARHF6HmFL87Rw29qZi1x5TGTDzFDQxMFH
BTC:   19w38CCB8YaxmJHkNH8gMjZYjw64SkQCcM
DODG: DNzDJTJrPEsSYpDGmD2iCFUfK8iJjeqm7C
melodiem

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:22:45 PM

Yes and it's get paid in devcoins, not $.

There are a lot of those ads yes but also heap more saying just "get paid" or "make money writing". Even the review on Money and Potatoes starts off with "Freelance Writer? Earn Some Extra Money With Devtome".

I am trying to suggest that more people ARE going to come for that reason and its worth looking at ways to make it simpler because that will generate more interest.

You keep referring to 'traders' but I also don't get that point. DVC is obviously global. If you found a job that paid in £ then you'd want to exchange it to A$ at a bank, or turn it down because it's too complicated. It's the same for devcoins. It seems what you mean by 'trading' is risk of losing money compared to what you expected. Well that risk is down to you and every other devcoiner working to support it.

I am not trying to argue, just trying to clarify my perspective but I accept other currencies for work already and pay out in other currencies, it either goes through an online gateway or by direct debit to my bank - there is no complicated, just a fee. BTC has to be exchanged for FIAT but even that is not complex, localbitcoins and word of mouth works well enough.

It seems what you mean by 'trading' is risk of losing money compared to what you expected. Well that risk is down to you and every other devcoiner working to support it.

I know its down to me, I really am doing my best to contribute and I hope, when I actually get to "trading" something I get it right because getting it wrong seems to be causing everyone else problems .. (going by the previous conversations on here re: newbies dumping and selling at the wrong times etc so value drops)

If writers in particular find the process difficult then it should be writers who find a way to make it easier and more efficient.

I am trying and I am 1 writer Smiley

A few questions:
1) Did you buy dvc before earning them because you valued the work you saw?
2) Have you bought any since for similar reasons (not speculative)?
3) Have you personally traded your dvc for fiat with others who valued your work specifically?
4) Or to anyone who just appreciated the general concept?

No, but I am not sure they are necessary steps to joining or contributing to the community are they?

If you're not that concerned about price stability then why all the talk of of trading risk and prices?

Undecided I thought I explained...the stability of the price is not in my control so I cant screw it up but I can screw up the trading part ..

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:19:44 PM

There are a lot of those ads yes but also heap more saying just "get paid" or "make money writing". Even the review on Money and Potatoes starts off with "Freelance Writer? Earn Some Extra Money With Devtome". I am trying to suggest that more people ARE going to come for that reason and its worth looking at ways to make it simpler because that will generate more interest...

...I am trying and I am 1 writer Smiley

...No, but I am not sure they are necessary steps to joining or contributing to the community are they?

Undecided I thought I explained...the stability of the price is not in my control so I cant screw it up but I can screw up the trading part ..
I was referring to devcoin conceptually, I don't know about ads or what they say. Simpler is good, pandering to one-sided trade flow or interest isn't.

I'm not criticising you, this is just a discussion. I have views, and find inertia/perceptions that I think are counter-productive grating. But that seems to be my viewpoint as the outlier because counterpart opinions over time haven't changed, and is certainly not annoyance at you. Your ideas and input have been positive and I try to give constructive criticism.

No they're not necessary steps to anything except the sustainability of devcoin. Either devcoin buyers are real interest, or just speculators/charity. If earners are perpetually selling to the latter then at some point this stops working. That's not how I understood the project; if it's a sustained dynamic I don't think it works.
Flam

Activity: 368
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:37:24 PM

Only few cryptos can be traded against fiat actually (BTC-E list). I don't think that DVC is actually reaching anyone outside the crypto sphere. I don't think many writters will be annoyed if they have to trade vs btc first. In the other case there is some lobby to do with BTC-E. melodiem for you; is the problem the conversion into fiat or the delay to get paid ?

▄███▄
        ▄█████████▄
     ▄██████████▀  ██▄
  ▄████████▀█▀   ▄██████▄
█▀▀▀███████   ▄████████▀▀▀█
██▄   ▀████▄▄▄▄█████▀   ▄██
█████▄   ▀███████▀   ▄█████
████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
▀██████████▄   ▄███████████
   ▀████████▌ ▐█████ ██████
██▄   ▀█ ███▌ ▐████   ▀████
█████▄    ██▌ ▐███▄▄ ▐█████
████████ ▄██▌ ▐█████ ▐█████
████████▄███▌ ▐█████ ▐█████
  ▀█████████▌ ▐█████ ▐██▀
     ▀██████▌ ▐██████▀
        ▀███▌ ▐███▀
           ▀███▀

╲╲╲╲╲╲╲╲▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
THE FIRST OF ITS KIND
SELF-GOVERNED ECOSYSTEM

╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱
JOIN THE ICO - 18th OCTOBER
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬╲╲╲╲╲╲╲╲

▄███▄
        ▄█████████▄
     ▄██████████▀  ██▄
  ▄████████▀█▀   ▄██████▄
█▀▀▀███████   ▄████████▀▀▀█
██▄   ▀████▄▄▄▄█████▀   ▄██
█████▄   ▀███████▀   ▄█████
████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
▀██████████▄   ▄███████████
   ▀████████▌ ▐█████ ██████
██▄   ▀█ ███▌ ▐████   ▀████
█████▄    ██▌ ▐███▄▄ ▐█████
████████ ▄██▌ ▐█████ ▐█████
████████▄███▌ ▐█████ ▐█████
  ▀█████████▌ ▐█████ ▐██▀
     ▀██████▌ ▐██████▀
        ▀███▌ ▐███▀
           ▀███▀

smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:10:14 PM

Only few cryptos can be traded against fiat actually (BTC-E list). I don't think that DVC is actually reaching anyone outside the crypto sphere. I don't think many writters will be annoyed if they have to trade vs btc first. In the other case there is some lobby to do with BTC-E. melodiem for you; is the problem the conversion into fiat or the delay to get paid ?

We probably could open a request in their support page.
Juan Taun

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

Me llamo Juan Tuan. Quiero comida China.

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:14:53 PM

I haven't received a reply from the person I messaged to sign up.  What should I do?

And what do you mean by I can propose a bounty?

Can I just say "I suggest we make a solar farm and supply electricity to kids in Malawi!"?

melodiem

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:24:08 AM

Simpler is good, pandering to one-sided trade flow or interest isn't.

I dont quite understand, by one sided trade flow? I think maybe it means everyone selling and no one buying or the other way around? I agree totally, and from conversations on this forum I thought that was one of the existing issues: everyone selling at the end of the round? I looked at ways to address that but I dont think my ideas were useful.

I'm not criticising you, this is just a discussion. I have views, and find inertia/perceptions that I think are counter-productive grating. But that seems to be my viewpoint as the outlier because counterpart opinions over time haven't changed, and is certainly not annoyance at you. Your ideas and input have been positive and I try to give constructive criticism.

I am so glad, if you were criticising I missed it and Id hate to be rude and not respond Wink

You have been really helpful and ask really good questions Weisoq, and I appreciate it. I learn by being involved; I hated school and studying but loved the moment I could start work and DO something and that attitude has carried over my whole life. Added to hyperactivity and an IQ I will never make real use of, it can make life interesting lol

I already know this about me but I realise anyone who doesn't already know this about me, when confronted with "ok, whats next, where do I start ..oh look! I could do that!!" is probably left scratching their head at who this bizarre woman is and what drugs is she on lol

I am not going anywhere, so people will work that out over time but for now, I truly appreciate the  time and effort taken to read, consider and respond to my posts.

No they're not necessary steps to anything except the sustainability of devcoin. Either devcoin buyers are real interest, or just speculators/charity. If earners are perpetually selling to the latter then at some point this stops working. That's not how I understood the project; if it's a sustained dynamic I don't think it works.

I think you are talking about the Fund idea I spoke about in PM and (tried to discuss) on the other forum? I have pretty much given up on it as viable after all the negative feedback. It was a community concept but there is no point if the community cant see a need for it. The work Ive done so far at least gives some discussion points/considerations and maybe in the future the idea will have more reason to exist and someone else will pick it up. I am still going to try to find the expert advice I need to analyse it and complete it as a discussion paper so it isn't a half done job, and then at the least it adds to the existing knowledge/data around DVC etc.

As for getting me a bot and leaping into the shark infested money market... now THAT has got me just a little bit less terrified of trading, and a little bit inspired to be exploring something new Wink

I am putting an IRC chat module up on devcoinproject.com (If I dont completely spaz out at Melbourne IT before they sort the DNS crap they have going at the moment) it can be entered from anywhere and I registered the channel under MelodieMuse. (so you can find it from anywhere, no need to use my interfaace if you  have an IRC client. #Devcoin

The channel is already there, will get the site sorted today and post a link

melodiem

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:26:57 AM

melodiem for you; is the problem the conversion into fiat or the delay to get paid ?

I quote for all my web work which never pays until the job is done...this can be 3-6 months on a big project. The time to wait does not bother me, its the conversion.  Smiley

Edited: quote

novacadian

Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 01:02:49 AM

I think you are talking about the Fund idea I spoke about in PM and (tried to discuss) on the other forum? I have pretty much given up on it as viable after all the negative feedback.

Only two people have posted to the thread, Melodiem. Mine was a vane attempt at humor which fell flat. There is a follow up, which you may have missed, trying to explain the joke. Guess there is no future for me as a stand up if my jokes need explanation. Wink

So please jump in again and try to explain your idea in layman's terms. After reading through the intro on your DevTome entry it still had me scratching my non-economist trained head.

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
melodiem

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:21:34 AM

Only two people have posted to the thread, Melodiem. Mine was a vane attempt at humor which fell flat. There is a follow up, which you may have missed, trying to explain the joke. Guess there is no future for me as a stand up if my jokes need explanation. Wink

So please jump in again and try to explain your idea in layman's terms. After reading through the intro on your DevTome entry it still had me scratching my non-economist trained head.
- Nova

I appreciate your response Nova, I did see it and I am sorry if you feel your joke at all responsible because it wasn't.

I abandoned the discussion because anyone following it, would get the immediate impression the moderator thought it a waste of time and possibly even some dodgy scam.

Like it or not, newcomers to a forum place more value on a moderators response than a newbie like me so in the interests of my own integrity/credibility/reputation I abandoned it. I am happy to continue the discussion in PM or via email, or to answer any thing posted on the discussion tab of the article. I think it would be more constructive in the long run.

I also asked the moderator to take the HUGE image in the middle of the discussion down (or at least make it smaller) as I felt it distracted from the conversation for anyone following. I suspect the reason it is still there, is that it supports the moderators comments, not your joke. (which by the way, I would have found funny if I wasn't already feeling like I had to defend my honour as NOT a scammer hitting people up for money, over a discussion I tried to start)

unclejed613

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:33:36 AM

when i was doing stock trading years ago, i actually took some classes to learn some of the basics. one of the things i learned about trading was"wouldn't it be better having your money working for you, rather than always working for money?" it was a point of view that was new to me... rather than just cash out when i get paid for articles on devtome, i will take a portion of it for trading, and make my money work for me. another portion i will leave in my local wallet, and another portion i might cash out.... i will continue writing on devtome, but i will also continue my day job, which most of the time, i enjoy.... i'm an audio engineer, and i work as an audio technician repairing receivers, which, as an engineer is usually quite enjoyable, because i get to see how other engineers think, and i get to listen to music all day.....
melodiem

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:55:27 AM

I also asked the moderator to take the HUGE image in the middle of the discussion down (or at least make it smaller) as I felt it distracted from the conversation for anyone following. I suspect the reason it is still there, is that it supports the moderators comments, not your joke.

Quoting myself sorry, I just re-read that and I need to clarify...the image was posted in illustration of your joke, I dont mean to suggest it was posted with any other intention. I am only referring to the moderators response.  I had no problem with the image, just the sheer size of it makes it an unnecessary distraction...sorry if I implied otherwise

melodiem

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:13:44 AM

Sorry for triple posting, I have set up a Devcoin chat room here: http://devcoinproject.com/index.php/devcoin-chatroom

It is IRC, so the channel can be accessed with any client. (The web page just makes it simpler.)

The idea being somewhere to communicate/discuss devcoin related projects. Enjoy Smiley

I am also happy to put up chat rooms for those of you will projects under way, as a communication tool if it is any use. PM me if this is any use to you.

eeh

Activity: 185

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:21:36 AM

Any one having issues with blocks not processing?
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:15:24 AM

I just processed registrations for several new writers who contacted me. If I missed anyone, please feel free to PM me again and I will take care of you.

Edit: Also, when you do contact your signup admin, please allow up to three days for a reply, as sometimes we get swamped. Everyone's patience is greatly appreciated.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:15:53 AM

Uploaded 1.0.14 win32 binary for those who can't compile: https://sourceforge.net/projects/devcoin/files/?source=navbar

Upgraded from 1.0.8 to 1.0.14, is running fine.

[img]

Test payment sent to weisoq.

Hey guys Im gonna change the dust stuff to match in android wallet.. I changed cent back to cent instead of 5 coins.. so ill upload a new version later to sanity test.

Hey I uplaoded a new devcoin android wallet to match the new client.

Please test that the new android wallet works sending/recieving coins... ill do a test maybe later tonight as well.

I updated the source too.

The devcoinj is now 1.0.4 here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/devcoin/files/devcoinj/

I will test payment this evening.

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:19:25 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 06:46:00 AM by sidhujag

Uploaded 1.0.14 win32 binary for those who can't compile: https://sourceforge.net/projects/devcoin/files/?source=navbar

Upgraded from 1.0.8 to 1.0.14, is running fine.

[img]

Test payment sent to weisoq.

Hey guys Im gonna change the dust stuff to match in android wallet.. I changed cent back to cent instead of 5 coins.. so ill upload a new version later to sanity test.

Hey I uplaoded a new devcoin android wallet to match the new client.

Please test that the new android wallet works sending/recieving coins... ill do a test maybe later tonight as well.

I updated the source too.

The devcoinj is now 1.0.4 here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/devcoin/files/devcoinj/

I will test payment this evening.

Ok might as well test 1.0.5 with 1.0.15 qt as I made it so minimum transaction matches bitcoin as 5430 satoshis

Hopefully it fixes the sending fees issue whilr maintaining a small minimum output and still do the dust fee stuff properly.

I been testing with this and sent myself 0.0001 dvc to and from the android wallet to qt.. and its stable, so far this is the best one. Now we just have to get the pool operator to switch to this latest version and test that the mining works.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:23:27 AM

Any one having issues with blocks not processing?

Which client version? What happened?
jdlrexy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:53:04 AM

Thanks Smeagol,

I'll make some changes when I get a second over the weekend.

I was wondering if I can claim one of the remaining Investment Plan Bounties for this plan I put together. (http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_engine) My intention was to write up a business plan that can be invested in by using devcoins that would benefit the whole devcoin community. Just wondering if my interpretation of business plan fits the description required by this bounty...

I wrote it last week, but just finally found some time to figure out how to properly post it on devtome. For a future article I might write up a noob's guide to Devtome in very simple English.

Hey jdlrexy,

How can one make money by investing?  I'd suggest you add a section where "shareholders" of the Devcoin bounty fund could have weighted votes based on the stake, and the shareholders would get a portion of a bounty the contributed too, etc.

That's all you need to do to get the six shares!
Pages: « 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 [239] 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: