Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:04:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058407 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:07:28 AM

Whoever is responsible (Unthinkingbit, twobits?) for the difficulty transition algorithm change in the devcoin source needs to explain to me why this was done, as this created an un-needed fork. Why do we need to do change difficulty transition logic away from bitcoin when bitcion doesn't even need it?

Bitcoin does not need it because it was the first coin made, and the biggest, so miners are always mining bitcoins. With altcoins, a miner can choose to mine the altcoin or not. What therefore happens is that if the coin value rises, then miners jump in, mining a lot of coins, way faster than one per ten minutes. Then the difficulty steps up, and at that block, it is no longer worth mining, so instead of a block every ten minutes, it can be hours between blocks. That's why most altcoins must have a short time difficulty algorithm.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jdlrexy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:34:26 AM

I was wondering if I can claim one of the remaining Investment Plan Bounties for this plan I put together. (http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_engine) My intention was to write up a business plan that can be invested in by using devcoins that would benefit the whole devcoin community. Just wondering if my interpretation of business plan fits the description required by this bounty...

I wrote it last week, but just finally found some time to figure out how to properly post it on devtome. For a future article I might write up a noob's guide to Devtome in very simple English.
melodiem

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:14:21 AM

For a future article I might write up a noob's guide to Devtome in very simple English.

If you type Devtome into the search on Devtome, it returns a heap of articles by everyone else has thought just that too Wink I decided not to rebuild the wheel but I did add a template page to help me keep my pages consistent. What are you having trouble with?

jdlrexy

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:23:41 AM

For a future article I might write up a noob's guide to Devtome in very simple English.

If you type Devtome into the search on Devtome, it returns a heap of articles by everyone else has thought just that too Wink I decided not to rebuild the wheel but I did add a template page to help me keep my pages consistent. What are you having trouble with?

Thanks. Don't need help with anything in particular. Actually, just took a glance at the boat load of articles that address devtome issues and suddenly feel like there is a need for more. Maybe this info needs to be organized and prominently displayed on the main page... just a thought
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:56:55 AM

Whoever is responsible (Unthinkingbit, twobits?) for the difficulty transition algorithm change in the devcoin source needs to explain to me why this was done, as this created an un-needed fork. Why do we need to do change difficulty transition logic away from bitcoin when bitcion doesn't even need it?

Bitcoin does not need it because it was the first coin made, and the biggest, so miners are always mining bitcoins. With altcoins, a miner can choose to mine the altcoin or not. What therefore happens is that if the coin value rises, then miners jump in, mining a lot of coins, way faster than one per ten minutes. Then the difficulty steps up, and at that block, it is no longer worth mining, so instead of a block every ten minutes, it can be hours between blocks. That's why most altcoins must have a short time difficulty algorithm.

Isnt the original one doing adjustments like once every few weeks? But ours is every single block?

With merged mining we have less of an issue with miners causing such a big change in hash to affect the difficulty no?

Its done now so only another fork will be able to improve/fix it anyway.
melodiem

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:55:07 AM

Are we able to suggest/add new categories to Devtome? I would like to see "opinion" as a category Smiley

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:09:02 AM

2)  This was becoming a concern for me as well.  It is imperative to reference factually based claims to differentiate between opinion and fact.  It also goes a long way in legitimizing devtome as a whole.

I am in the habit of having a reference section at the bottom of my factual articles and I was wondering if that was the preferred method or do the admins have a different way they want articles reference.  I have no problem altering my writing style to fit the needs of the community.  Thanks for any guidance with this.
It can be done via references, references and footnotes - will depend on the subject matter. The issue is that an increasing number of articles on alleged scientific and reference topics are amounting to unformatted word dumps or opinion. These articles need to be changed or at some point they may have to be removed because the value of a submission that provides incorrect 'factual' info is zero.

unclejed613: click 'edit' at top of front page - copy the text that you added to your own page to the top of the list there e.g. [[:New Article]]. You can't embed Video/HTML at this point (not activated, plugin not added - to avoid risk and because there's not yet anybody with the PHP skills to work on fixing any bugs on an ongoing basis), so yes via archive.org links. I think it's root.

smeagol: giftculturewriting said they're changing hosting or similar.

jdlrexy: There's a devtome section and link to those articles on the front page http://devtome.com/doku.php#topics although it has been explained that these things are more obvious to me than others so we do plan to work on changing the look/format when finished working through categorising/filing articles (another reason it would be great if all writers could get more involved with their own work and leave us more time for other)

melodiem : Unless that's tongue-in-cheek, what sort of opinion do you mean. Nice idea, but at this point most of devtome is already opinion and it might just prompt even less research/referencing of articles and more word dumps. Unless by 'opinion' you mean researched and justified opinion? There are categories for reviews, issues etc which offer a more-flexible venue for thoughts. In general though yes of course you can add new categories. It's very helpful if you do so to link that new category as subcategory to others (or let me/giftculturewriting know) or it could be lost in the devtome ether.
melodiem

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:41:37 AM

melodiem : Unless that's tongue-in-cheek, what sort of opinion do you mean. Nice idea, but at this point most of devtome is already opinion and it might just prompt even less research/referencing of articles and more word dumps. Unless by 'opinion' you mean researched and justified opinion? There are categories for reviews, issues etc which offer a more-flexible venue for thoughts. In general though yes of course you can add new categories. It's very helpful if you do so to link that new category as subcategory to others (or let me/giftculturewriting know) or it could be lost in the devtome ether.

I guess this is not a new issue from your comment. My concern was that having just posted a piece that fits very well in the economics category but is really just my opinion based on my observations and not a factual article, that having the option to include it in an opinion category would clarify this.

Thing is, if I set that bar and create the category, will anyone else do the same or will there be a little devtome category all for little old me?

I do think if people were willing to categorise their work this way it might lead to some overall clarity in the future.

Also, can I volunteer to help with categorising/filing so you mob are not so over worked? (Or is this the paid job I read about on Devtome?)

Oh...and I promise when it's tongue in cheek it wont be vague Wink

weisoq

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:34:06 AM

I guess this is not a new issue from your comment. My concern was that having just posted a piece that fits very well in the economics category but is really just my opinion based on my observations and not a factual article, that having the option to include it in an opinion category would clarify this.

Thing is, if I set that bar and create the category, will anyone else do the same or will there be a little devtome category all for little old me?

I do think if people were willing to categorise their work this way it might lead to some overall clarity in the future.

Also, can I volunteer to help with categorising/filing so you mob are not so over worked? (Or is this the paid job I read about on Devtome?)

Oh...and I promise when it's tongue in cheek it wont be vague Wink

This in general is an area for everybody to decide on, not me.

My opinion is that every non-fiction article should be sourced and referenced, otherwise it's not necessarily even non-fiction. As to then breaking that down to fact vs opinion, the problem is 1) Devtome is not wikipedia, and I don't think the world needs another wikipedia; 2) This would require a very high bar of proof and then comprehensive checks.

Therefore devtome is pretty much all opinion, because system methodology isn't yet able to prove otherwise, which makes having specific 'opinion' sections a bit pointless. Opinion is fine, but it still needs referencing. An opinionated rant or a incorrect spiel on 'science' though is not an article, again in my opinion. Basically claims should be justified.

Your article - if you're not sure about the justification via economic rationale but feel it correctly relates to Oz, you cuold put it in the australia, anthropology etc category instead - wherever you think it's most appropriate?

Volunteer - I think admin works on the basis of invites in the context of constructive input. You seem to show that, but it's not up to me.
melodiem

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 11:03:52 AM

This in general is an area for everybody to decide on, not me.

My opinion is that every non-fiction article should be sourced and referenced, otherwise it's not necessarily even non-fiction. As to then breaking that down to fact vs opinion, the problem is 1) Devtome is not wikipedia, and I don't think the world needs another wikipedia; 2) This would require a very high bar of proof and then comprehensive checks.

Therefore devtome is pretty much all opinion, because system methodology isn't yet able to prove otherwise, which makes having specific 'opinion' sections a bit pointless. Opinion is fine, but it still needs referencing. An opinionated rant or a incorrect spiel on 'science' though is not an article, again in my opinion. Basically claims should be justified.

Your article - if you're not sure about the justification via economic rationale but feel it correctly relates to Oz, you cuold put it in the australia, anthropology etc category instead - wherever you think it's most appropriate?

Volunteer - I think admin works on the basis of invites in the context of constructive input. You seem to show that, but it's not up to me.

Cheers Weisoq,

I can see what you mean, I guess its a personal thing too, according to how people feel about their work and I agree it isn't (and shouldn't be) Wikipedia.

You make a good point about the Oz category, I will do some work on the article and see how it works. (Of course a really organised writer would not have put it up without dealing with all this first I guess Tongue

Thanks for your patient reply.

Re: admin, I haven't been around long Weisoq and  Im still learning Devtome. I actually nailed the syntax off-line and got it right online with the last article, suitably chuffed  Cool but a long way to go to competent lol

dalamar96

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 12:13:22 PM

Re: admin, I haven't been around long Weisoq and  Im still learning Devtome. I actually nailed the syntax off-line and got it right online with the last article, suitably chuffed  Cool but a long way to go to competent lol

Melodiem,
  I would volunteer as well, but I knew it was invite only. I think that you volunteering is good though (and I probably should have earlier) as it shows interest and a willing to help out, though helping out on the forums shows that too. Oh well, just thought I would volunteer too! Smiley Glad to see a lot of people involved and interested in DevCoin! Smiley

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
DVC:   1ARHF6HmFL87Rw29qZi1x5TGTDzFDQxMFH
BTC:   19w38CCB8YaxmJHkNH8gMjZYjw64SkQCcM
DODG: DNzDJTJrPEsSYpDGmD2iCFUfK8iJjeqm7C
melodiem

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:20:32 PM

Melodiem,
  I would volunteer as well, but I knew it was invite only. I think that you volunteering is good though (and I probably should have earlier) as it shows interest and a willing to help out, though helping out on the forums shows that too. Oh well, just thought I would volunteer too! Smiley Glad to see a lot of people involved and interested in DevCoin! Smiley

There isnt a like button but if there was, I would click it, good on you for putting your hand up Cheesy

weisoq

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:35:55 PM

Cheers Weisoq,

I can see what you mean, I guess its a personal thing too, according to how people feel about their work and I agree it isn't (and shouldn't be) Wikipedia.

You make a good point about the Oz category, I will do some work on the article and see how it works. (Of course a really organised writer would not have put it up without dealing with all this first I guess Tongue

Thanks for your patient reply.

Re: admin, I haven't been around long Weisoq and  Im still learning Devtome. I actually nailed the syntax off-line and got it right online with the last article, suitably chuffed  Cool but a long way to go to competent lol
No worries. I think everything devcoin is a collaborative work in progress so questioning and questions are always good

On volunteering to help (you and dalamar)- that's cool. It's not 'invite-only' as some sort of exclusive club, it's just that there's a system built into devtome that brings up warnings when articles are edited by the non-originator (protecting people's work from trolls etc), with an exceptions list. Obviously the more people that get involved the better for everybody, only it needs those people to be added to the list first to avoid problems and knock-on earnings issues, which I guess is on the basis of trust. It's not any personal view on you or anyone else. I suppose offering is the first step then hopefully volunteering/admin help - but volunteering is a nice problem to have. Smiley
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 01:11:30 PM

No worries. I think everything devcoin is a collaborative work in progress so questioning and questions are always good

On volunteering to help (you and dalamar)- that's cool. It's not 'invite-only' as some sort of exclusive club, it's just that there's a system built into devtome that brings up warnings when articles are edited by the non-originator (protecting people's work from trolls etc), with an exceptions list. Obviously the more people that get involved the better for everybody, only it needs those people to be added to the list first to avoid problems and knock-on earnings issues, which I guess is on the basis of trust. It's not any personal view on you or anyone else. I suppose offering is the first step then hopefully volunteering/admin help - but volunteering is a nice problem to have. Smiley

I don't think we meant it like it was an exclusive club, just saying it is by invite. The warning thing (devtome-warnings.txt or whatever) is a little weird to read, don't know what it means by can't find byline in edit or whatever it says. I understand the one that is about someone else editing that isn't in the approved editors list. At any rate Smiley Just wanted to say we didn't think it was only a popularity contest or whatever Smiley

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
Bittzy78
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1019

I do not give financial advice .. do your own DD

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 01:15:59 PM

I have a general question about getting marketing shares on Devtome...

If you have a website or websites with links to Devtome, do you get the shares one time or are they each round as long as the sites are still up? I ask because last round my shares for marketing were 12/5 but they are 0/0 so far this round.

Bittzy78

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒█████████▀▀▀▀███████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████▀      ▀██████▀    ▀████▒░░
░░▒██████▄        ▀██▀       ████▒░░
░░▒███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Facebook | Twitter | Discord | Insane Hub
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 01:20:48 PM

I have a general question about getting marketing shares on Devtome...

If you have a website or websites with links to Devtome, do you get the shares one time or are they each round as long as the sites are still up? I ask because last round my shares for marketing were 12/5 but they are 0/0 so far this round.

Bittzy78

I have the same issue, just figured it would work itself out sooner or later Smiley

unclejed613

Activity: 49

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:40:57 PM

ok, next question.... how do i link to images i've uploaded to the Media Manager page?
melodiem

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:07:28 PM

ok, next question.... how do i link to images i've uploaded to the Media Manager page?

All the info is on this page for linking things and images: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:syntax&s[]=syntax

Ive got it bookmarked because I cant remember them all Wink

weisoq

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:31:25 PM

I don't think we meant it like it was an exclusive club, just saying it is by invite. The warning thing (devtome-warnings.txt or whatever) is a little weird to read, don't know what it means by can't find byline in edit or whatever it says. I understand the one that is about someone else editing that isn't in the approved editors list. At any rate Smiley Just wanted to say we didn't think it was only a popularity contest or whatever Smiley
I know, think that's my own tongue in cheek gone wrong there. Was just making the point that's the only thing stopping anyone helping out, otherwise I'd definitely appreciate it and we'd all benefit.

The byline...is just saying there's an article listed in that writer's page but the page doesn't exist (red link).
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:35:59 PM

Dev's in the toilet guys, how come it lost half its value in the last 2 weeks?
Pages: « 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: