Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:32:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 197 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin Release - First Scientific Computing Cryptocurrency  (Read 687906 times)
masterOfDisaster

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:43:51 PM

Hi,

as the search function didn't show any matches I kindly want to ask, if someone can tell me whether IPv6 is supported by primecoin or not. I found out that it is supported by bitcoin since 0.7. Although i assume that a lot of the code has been forked from bitcoin, I would really like not only to assume, but to know if IPv6 is supported by primecoin...
"getpeerinfo" shows only IPv4 connections, but that might be due to the fact that my current internet access is IPv4 only. But that will change soon...

Kind regards

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:52:03 PM

Hi,

as the search function didn't show any matches I kindly want to ask, if someone can tell me whether IPv6 is supported by primecoin or not. I found out that it is supported by bitcoin since 0.7. Although i assume that a lot of the code has been forked from bitcoin, I would really like not only to assume, but to know if IPv6 is supported by primecoin...
"getpeerinfo" shows only IPv4 connections, but that might be due to the fact that my current internet access is IPv4 only. But that will change soon...

Kind regards

Yes if compiled with the USE_IPV6 flag.

Zalfrin

Activity: 401

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:53:19 PM

Here's a diff/patch I made off a freash git clone with the changes mentioned and some makefile changes I used.
<snip>

Thanks much, oroqen. Changes compile fine and make sense.
nmersulypnem

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:59:53 PM

Here's a diff/patch I made off a freash git clone with the changes mentioned and some makefile changes I used.
<snip>

Why  +USE_UPNP:=1 ?  I thought setting this flag to 0 made it embed PNP (hence faster and more distributable to other machines).
paulthetafy

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:00:13 PM

<snip>

ughn I've tried this several times with the same bugnum error shortly after launching Sad
ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 04:04:30 PM

It seems my blocks come in waves (3 in 1 hour) and then silence for 5-6 hours and again a wave of 3. And this keeps repeating for the last 24 hours.
Could this be an issue with the connection to the Primecoin network? Anyone having the same mining experience?

Precisely the same here. My last 6 have been 2 blocks of 3 within 40-odd minutes.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:05:27 PM

If people spent half the time trying to improve stuff as they do begging others to just give them the fruits of their work, they would be a lot wealthier - and wiser.

bidji29

Activity: 392

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:09:33 PM

Code:
CSieveOfEratosthenes(unsigned int nSieveSize, unsigned int nBits, uint256 hashBlockHeader, CBigNum& bnFixedMultiplier)
{
        this->nSieveSize = nSieveSize;
        this->nBits = nBits;
        this->hashBlockHeader = hashBlockHeader;
        this->bnFixedFactor = bnFixedMultiplier * CBigNum(hashBlockHeader);
        nPrimeSeq = 0;
        vfCompositeCunningham1 = std::vector<bool> (1000000, false);
        vfCompositeCunningham2 = std::vector<bool> (1000000, false);
        vfCompositeBiTwin = std::vector<bool> (1000000, false);
        nCandidateMultiplier = 0;
    }

// Get total number of candidates for power test
    unsigned int GetCandidateCount()
    {
        unsigned int nCandidates = 0;
        for (unsigned int nMultiplier = 0; nMultiplier < nSieveSize; nMultiplier++)
        {
            if (!vfCompositeCunningham1[nMultiplier] ||
                !vfCompositeCunningham2[nMultiplier] ||
                !vfCompositeBiTwin[nMultiplier])
                nCandidates++;
        }
        return nCandidates;

I think it's here where the code check 3 time the block.
But it's just an assumption

http://www.freebieservers.com/  100% FREE GAME SERVERS
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:09:41 PM

It seems my blocks come in waves (3 in 1 hour) and then silence for 5-6 hours and again a wave of 3. And this keeps repeating for the last 24 hours.
Could this be an issue with the connection to the Primecoin network? Anyone having the same mining experience?

Precisely the same here. My last 6 have been 2 blocks of 3 within 40-odd minutes.
I had some blocks arrive at the same time - I wondered if it had something to do with twin-primes.
Moebius327

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:13:05 PM

I had some blocks arrive at the same time - I wondered if it had something to do with twin-primes.

+1
dudeguy

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:19:26 PM

I think a lot of people are frustrated because they don't understand the difference between pooled and solo mining.

In pooled mining, (ie, what we all do with Bitcoin), the work is broken down into a ton of discrete chunks - each miner is compensated when a block is solved based on their proportion of work contributed - ie everyone gets a slow, steady and somewhat predictable payout.

Solo minings different - blocks don't get shared, so each individual gets a much greater payout, but whether they get it or not is a LOT more dependent on whether they're lucky enough to solve a block before someone else does. There have only been 8000 or so blocks solved so far. I've got the miner running on various computers at varying pps rates - during the first 17 hours or so, I solved no blocks at all. Then they started getting solved. And the thing was, the difference between the number of blocks solved from a computer running at 10 pps and another running at 150pps is much smaller than the difference in prime generation rate.

So, there are 8000 blocks awarded so far.

Lets say there are 500 people attempting to mine them and each person is using 3 computers to do so - on average, if they've all been mining since the beginning, each computer would have solved 5.333 blocks. But the distribution is a lot more random; some people will have gotten 5 blocks, others have gotten zero, and others have gotten 20+. But that's the thing with solo mining. And if, in the beginning, there were only 50 people mining during the first hour, 200 mining 6 hours later, and 500 24-hours later, of course there will be drop-offs in the rate that people see blocks get solved...

Given the newness of the coin, the lack of markets for it, etc, I'd be shocked if someone had already figured out how to have a GPU solve the problems - it's not just rewriting the existing SHA algorithm that bitcoin uses, changing a couple lines to make it primecoin ready, it's revising everything about the miner to handle a completely different type of work. Optmizing the CPU miner? Sure. But even so, I don't think they'ed be churning out coins in this environment, as, again, I think the payout has a lot more to do with luck at this point than anything else including raw horse power.

Putting together some charts to demonstrate the distribution of the rewards I've seen so far.... maybe someone will find it to be of interest, who knows?

But in the meantime, if people want to see more predictable coin generation, then maybe they should start a fund to pay a bounty to the first person to develop a mining pool? i assume it'll be a lot of work, because, again, the dynamics of this coin are much different than any of the others, including this time to "mature". Or, you could make an informal "pool" with someone you know and really trust - just have both of you mine to the same wallet.dat file, and, as you add machines, the randomness that a single miner sees will be evened out more and more...

That my two cents. Utterly useless, because I'm not a programmer. But so far, I'm pretty excited about this coin and I can't quite fathom why people are getting upset with it already?

People are getting upset because some people not sharing their compiled code are damaging their own reputation and the reputation of the coin. Also, it's just flat out unethical to steal blocks. 'Of course they are! This is the internetz where anything goes!' is the typical argument, however I'd like to think the crypto-community and particularly XPM miners are for the most part much better than the worst posters on the /b forums. Right now there are a lot of people proving me wrong. All you have to do is look at the statistics.
n4ru

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:24:52 PM

I think a lot of people are frustrated because they don't understand the difference between pooled and solo mining.

In pooled mining, (ie, what we all do with Bitcoin), the work is broken down into a ton of discrete chunks - each miner is compensated when a block is solved based on their proportion of work contributed - ie everyone gets a slow, steady and somewhat predictable payout.

Solo minings different - blocks don't get shared, so each individual gets a much greater payout, but whether they get it or not is a LOT more dependent on whether they're lucky enough to solve a block before someone else does. There have only been 8000 or so blocks solved so far. I've got the miner running on various computers at varying pps rates - during the first 17 hours or so, I solved no blocks at all. Then they started getting solved. And the thing was, the difference between the number of blocks solved from a computer running at 10 pps and another running at 150pps is much smaller than the difference in prime generation rate.

Lets say there are 500 people attempting to mine them and each person is using 3 computers to do so - on average, if they've all been mining since the beginning, each computer would have solved 5.333 blocks. But the distribution is a lot more random; some people will have gotten 5 blocks, others have gotten zero, and others have gotten 20+. But that's the thing with solo mining. And if, in the beginning, there were only 50 people mining during the first hour, 200 mining 6 hours later, and 500 24-hours later, of course there will be drop-offs in the rate that people see blocks get solved...

Given the newness of the coin, the lack of markets for it, etc, I'd be shocked if someone had already figured out how to have a GPU solve the problems - it's not just rewriting the existing SHA algorithm that bitcoin uses, changing a couple lines to make it primecoin ready, it's revising everything about the miner to handle a completely different type of work. Optmizing the CPU miner? Sure. But even so, I don't think they'ed be churning out coins in this environment, as, again, I think the payout has a lot more to do with luck at this point than anything else including raw horse power.

Putting together some charts to demonstrate the distribution of the rewards I've seen so far.... maybe someone will find it to be of interest, who knows?

But in the meantime, if people want to see more predictable coin generation, then maybe they should start a fund to pay a bounty to the first person to develop a mining pool? i assume it'll be a lot of work, because, again, the dynamics of this coin are much different than any of the others, including this time to "mature". Or, you could make an informal "pool" with someone you know and really trust - just have both of you mine to the same wallet.dat file, and, as you add machines, the randomness that a single miner sees will be evened out more and more...

That my two cents. Utterly useless, because I'm not a programmer. But so far, I'm pretty excited about this coin and I can't quite fathom why people are getting upset with it already?

People are getting upset because some people not sharing their compiled code are damaging their own reputation and the reputation of the coin. Also, it's just flat out unethical to steal blocks. 'Of course they are! This is the internetz where anything goes!' is the typical argument, however I'd like to think the crypto-community and particularly XPM miners are for the most part much better than the worst posters on the /b forums. Right now there are a lot of people proving me wrong. All you have to do is look at the statistics.
Behind ahead of the curve is now unethical? Ever hear of this thing called life?
dudeguy

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:30:32 PM

Behind ahead of the curve is now unethical? Ever hear of this thing called life?

So you pretty much outed yourself and someone not sharing your optimizations with the community. Can people please realize this and use the reputation button the way it was intended?
n4ru

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:36:02 PM

So you pretty much outed yourself and someone not sharing your optimizations with the community. Can people please realize this and use the reputation button the way it was intended?
I'm mining the coin just like everyone else. I looked into a GPU miner but realized I don't have the necessary skills to write this using CUDA. I have no issue with anyone who DOES have the skills and uses it to their advantage (because I'm not a five year old entitled brat). This isn't socialism.

But sure, keep deluding yourself that I have to be "cheating" myself to think that "cheating" is okay.
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:36:57 PM

Exactly where does your entitlement to the work of others spring from?  It's not clear to me why you appear to think you are owed something.

Stop typing these inanities and start studying the code and optimize it yourself.  If you then feel obligated to the rest of humanity, please feel free to give away your efforts to anyone you choose - but please stop asking others to do what you either cannot or will not.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
urubu

Activity: 87

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:40:51 PM

I can see how someone could get frustrated mining this.  luck of the draw can be a bitch.  I have 4 computers mining this, as of last night, 2500k has gotten 17 blocks, 4770k has gotten 11 blocks, 3570k has gotten 1 block, and a dual core Intel 1155 has gotten 1 block.  All are on w7 x64.
Moebius327

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:42:59 PM

I can see how someone could get frustrated mining this.  luck of the draw can be a bitch.  I have 4 computers mining this, as of last night, 2500k has gotten 17 blocks, 4770k has gotten 11 blocks, 3570k has gotten 1 block, and a dual core Intel 1155 has gotten 1 block.  All are on w7 x64.

Made any changes to the code ?
shakezula

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:43:41 PM

I can see how someone could get frustrated mining this.  luck of the draw can be a bitch.  I have 4 computers mining this, as of last night, 2500k has gotten 17 blocks, 4770k has gotten 11 blocks, 3570k has gotten 1 block, and a dual core Intel 1155 has gotten 1 block.  All are on w7 x64.

I've been mining since launch on an i7 with Debian, found 10 blocks no optimizations and an AM3-3300 which has found 2 blocks on Windows 7x64. All in all I'm satisfied with my ~240ish, its worth nearly 2BTC at the Coins-e rates.

~Edit, someone PLEASE make a Mac-QT of this Cheesy I'll donate a few XPMs!
paulthetafy

Activity: 820

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:44:56 PM

you have 30 blocks with those machines??  Shocked
Entz

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

I not use any kind of messenger beware of scammers

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:45:11 PM

I don't get the entitlement either.

FWIW I have 5 systems mining, my original unoptimized one has found 90% of my blocks. My optimized rigs have found only a single block. At this point it is all luck based. The optimizations are not giving you a 100x increase or anything like that.

This is about as silly as saying: Everyone with a CPU faster than a dual core atom is stealing my blocks. Please someone buy me a 3930k!

Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 197 »
  Print  

Jump to: