Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:52:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
nxtgt

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:53:25 AM

The more NXT someone has, the more right he has to decide. It's natural. Someone with 50% ownership on a company has a 50% right to decide something..

It's so easy. So why do you fighting over this so much?
I agree too, but this is only under the assumption that large stakeholders will always do things in the best interest of the currency's growth and health. However, I am sure at some point there could be large NXT stakeholders that would vote for something just not acceptable by a majority of the community and it would be interesting to see how that would play out in the actual decision making process.
Well, they are the majority. So let it be.

They're not the majority. That's the point here.
They are. If you have 50$ and the other guy 1$ then you have the majority of wealth. So you are should be allowed to say more.

Fortunately, our democratic systems do not work this way (not yet, I fear).

You should be allowed to say more if you spend more of you wealth:
Say, if you spend 1/10 of your wealth it's more than if somebody spend 1/10000 of theirs. It appears it's not so important to them.

NXT is an economic ecosystem, not a state. In PoS 1 NXT is equivalent to 1 person (like SSN, birth certificate, or whatever) because this is the only way to truly account for the validity of each NXT, so 1 NXT = 1 Vote. All other methods will be gamed by the rich to make the poor poorer. For example, using 1 account = 1 Vote, a large stakeholder can create 10k accounts easily, while a small stakeholder will go broke doing it. No matter what you do, the rich can always afford more accounts than the poor can. Thus voting on an account basis is unrealistic.

I think a good analogy would be (within the NXT ecosystem), 1 NXT = 1 Person, Account Owner = Representative. So if you own 10k NXT, you are their representative and represent their "views", but you cannot speak for all the NXTs under other representatives.

A larger holders vote should have weight proportional to their stake, but they should also pay a proportional fee to their total stake. That could be a significant cost, preventing impulsive, foolish or uneducated voting. It is the stake holders responsibility to vote in a responsible and educated manner. It is those who are pushing the changes (or dissenters) to make sure they are educated on what is being changed and why it is important/needs to be done. I can't see how anything else matters or why all these complicated, gameable voting systems are even being brought up.

not saying you are wrong but i just wanted to point out that a large stake holder already has a strong incentive not to make a bad decision. if he does it will lower the value of his stake.

i have stayed out of all the VS stuff until now voting on stuff really concerns me.  unless tere is something to prevent someone from making a vote to steal money from someone, or something along those lines, it shouldnt be done at all.

IMO the best way with voting is to make the fee for the vote proportional to the stake.

I am in favor of 1 vote : 1 NXT. I disagree with tacking on a progressive tax for voting purposes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bithic

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:54:05 AM

We are simultaneously building a podcast for all things Nxt, and there is a possibility that full segments from that cased could be featured on the "Beyond Bitcoin" podcast that the LTB team is hoping to launch.

Great!
bithic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:55:19 AM

Find a community member with a good "radio voice". Write up a paragraph introducing Nxt and covering one major feature. Mention the best informational resource (Nxt wiki?) at the end for them to lookup info and see what it's all about. Have him record it. There's your ad spot. Mention your Nxt resource at the end of every ad. Next ad spot, quick recap of what nxt is and cover another major feature, etc, etc. Make it like a series style thing. Then when you're all caught up with the existing features, cover some soon to be implemented features. The big important stuff. Having the one voice for all ads is important. It's builds familiarity and comfort (as long as its nice voice to listen to and not screech, lol). They recognize it right away and associate it with Nxt so you have them primed. You could use these recordings you've requested as castings to pick the right person. Just my thoughts on it.

Good ideas.
pandaisftw

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:10:50 AM

Technically, everyone who votes, as a stakeholder, has something at stake.
Technically yes, but history has proven otherwise. You are takinginto account an oversimplified view that assumes and implies that everyone wants what is best for the network. This is false, and it is safe to assume that there are no angels walking on this earth.

No, I'm saying that everyone wants what is best for themselves, which means large stakeholders will not want to harm their stake, thus they will not want to harm the network. If they grow the network, they are growing the value of their stake. Stakeholder votes for good things for NXT = his stake goes up = interests are aligned.

But if a vote coming out of a 10milnxt account has 10mil times  more fees than a vote coming from a 1nxtacc then there is actually something at stake
How can we believe that Nxt can bring on something different to the table, if we stick to old tricks?

What would Satoshi do?

A 10mil account has 10mil at stake. He won't want to vote for something that will cause him to lose his value, right? If he votes for something that causes him to lose even 1%, that's 100k NXT worth right there, so the incentive is heavily biased to vote for good things that will help the network.

Additionally, I mentioned in my previous post:

My only concern with 2) is that it may be abused, or that many stakeholders will end up not voting because they will think, "oh, I'll let other stakeholders fight it out with their NXT, not mine." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect)) So I still feel 1) is the best course of action because everyone is voting with their stake, at stake.

If we introduce fees per vote, people are less likely to vote because they want other people to vote in their place and pay the fees. This will lead to only a small portion of the network voting, and thus easier to manipulate.

NXT: 13095091276527367030
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 02:12:38 AM

Quotable?:

It's really interesting watching this community - you guys are the only "headless" metalayer, lacking a founder or team and yet delivering with real working software.   

Keep up the good work Smiley

If you're asking for my permission, feel free - everything I do is creative commons, attribution + noncommercial

For the minute spots maybe we're overthinking this, maybe it should really just be the NXT Minute on LTB, and twice a week listeners of LTB get updated to the most important thing "This is the NXT Minute, this week saw the release of the new client that does blah blah blah" you have enough room for about 65-72 words in a minute of human speech, you'll want to pick out some music (I can help with that) and leave a little space on either side to allow for the fade in and out.

Would someone be willing to take up that task?   I think the NXT minute with occasional experiential spots shared by members of the NXT community would go over really well.  Then you could have something that would always be different, always be useful and informative, and whenever a really good community submission comes up you just run that instead of the update.  You get the best of both worlds, informational, timely and cheap while community spots provide the emotional and real world context.   It would probably be good to have people write these and then have them voiced by members of the community who are a) good at that, and b) have good mics, it makes a big difference.

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
bithic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:25:53 AM

For the minute spots maybe we're overthinking this, maybe it should really just be the NXT Minute on LTB, and twice a week listeners of LTB get updated to the most important thing "This is the NXT Minute, this week saw the release of the new client that does blah blah blah" you have enough room for about 65-72 words in a minute of human speech, you'll want to pick out some music (I can help with that) and leave a little space on either side to allow for the fade in and out.

I love this idea.

Would someone be willing to take up that task?   I think the NXT minute with occasional experiential spots shared by members of the NXT community would go over really well.  Then you could have something that would always be different, always be useful and informative, and whenever a really good community submission comes up you just run that instead of the update.  You get the best of both worlds, informational, timely and cheap while community spots provide the emotional and real world context.   It would probably be good to have people write these and then have them voiced by members of the community who are a) good at that, and b) have good mics, it makes a big difference.

I have very good recording equipment. My voice isn't a classic radio voice, but I can send a sample recording of me reading something to everyone who's involved in organizing this or whoever is interested to see what you think. I'll do this tonight. Who should I send it to?: mindtomatter, joefox, salsacz... anyone else?
bithic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:30:30 AM

Or joefox could be "the voice", which might be really good because it will introduce him (and his show) to listeners of LTB.
erik__

Activity: 38

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:38:10 AM

Does anyone know how I can call an account balance in PHP?

I need something like...

Code:

$TokenResponse = json_decode(file_get_contents("http://localhost:7874/nxt?requestType=decodeToken&website=" . $rand . "&token=" . $token"));

$balance = json_decode(file_get_contents("http://localhost:7874/nxt?requestType=getBalance&account=". $TokenResponse[account]"));

pass account ID not token.
Code:
http://localhost:7874/nxt?requestType=getBalance&account=6669070404060812420

remember results are "multiplied by 100"

also, you'll probably be interested more in guaranted balance:
Code:
http://localhost:7874/nxt?requestType=getGuaranteedBalance&account=6669070404060812420&numberOfConfirmations=10

Right I understand the API, I was just giving an example -- what I meant was connections are refused when I send json requests, and curl is returning "NULL".

Echo the url and enter it into the browser.   Is the connection still refused?  Can you use a public node?  This seems to work for reading the balance:
http://node10.nxtbase.com:7874/nxt?requestType=getGuaranteedBalance&account=6669070404060812420&numberOfConfirmations=10

mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 02:41:58 AM

I think having Joe as the voice of the NXT minute would be a good idea if he's doing the community show about it.   You want to be the voice of NXT joe?

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
joefox

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 02:59:28 AM

I think having Joe as the voice of the NXT minute would be a good idea if he's doing the community show about it.   You want to be the voice of NXT joe?

Of course I'm willing, and it's a responsibility I'm happy to share.  Especially if people have good recording gear (ahem, bithic).

I admin the Nxt Wiki at http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/ Please support my work by donating to Nxt account #1234567740944417915
bithic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:08:46 AM

you'll want to pick out some music (I can help with that) and leave a little space on either side to allow for the fade in and out.

What kind of license do we need on the music?
MarvellousMutant

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:15:31 AM

For the Radio-Spots, try to get some girls to talk about NxT. It always feels more natural if both genders are present.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:33:41 AM

I love this idea.

I have very good recording equipment. My voice isn't a classic radio voice, but I can send a sample recording of me reading something to everyone who's involved in organizing this or whoever is interested to see what you think. I'll do this tonight. Who should I send it to?: mindtomatter, joefox, salsacz... anyone else?

it really isnt a bad idea. there are 2 big advantages here. one is that it wont sound overly commercial, very important indeed since you dont want your decentralized movement to sound like its run by a corporation. also each episode would be different, thats also hugely beneficial, people arnt going to want to listen to the same commercial twice.

still the first episode atleast should be dedicated to explaining what advantages nxt offers over bitcoin and other copycoins.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
joefox

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 03:46:28 AM

Maybe someone in the community has the talents to put something together so license isn't an issue.

For now, I have some good royalty-free and Creative Commons music we can use.  But I'm sure there are musicians in the mix and we'll get some original content soon enough!

I admin the Nxt Wiki at http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/ Please support my work by donating to Nxt account #1234567740944417915
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:48:58 AM

Maybe someone in the community has the talents to put something together so license isn't an issue.

For now, I have some good royalty-free and Creative Commons music we can use.  But I'm sure there are musicians in the mix and we'll get some original content soon enough!

i think general fuzz is creative commons and general fuzz is awesome

*edit* listen to "the arrival" on this page http://www.generalfuzz.net/tunes.php

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
shinkansen22

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:51:29 AM

I would love some type of NXT podcast   Grin

Get both male and female NXT podcasters along with maybe a live stream and public chat feature Smiley

Who is NXT's most prominent female NXTer Huh
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:53:18 AM

Get both male and female NXT podcasters along with maybe a live stream and chat feature Smiley

i hate to sound sexist but it would be difficult to find a female who was capable of sounding authoritative.

Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:57:34 AM

Bah, these are the times I hate it to have too much of a Dutch accent for English  Speaking radio  Tongue

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:59:48 AM

Get both male and female NXT podcasters along with maybe a live stream and chat feature Smiley

i hate to sound sexist but it would be difficult to find a female who was capable of sounding authoritative.

You are not sexist. You need a: nice, attractive and firm female voice to persuade people, especially other male investors.

This is evolution and the tricks of the sub-conscious. This happens in marketing and business everyday.
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:11:30 AM

not sure what these are all about:

Code:
[2014-01-26 18:21:46.114] DEBUG: Error in block generation thread
java.lang.NullPointerException
at Nxt$Block.getLastBlocks(Nxt.java:1353)
at Nxt$Account.getGuaranteedBalance(Nxt.java:579)
at Nxt$Account.getEffectiveBalance(Nxt.java:516)
at Nxt$8.run(Nxt.java:6574)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:304)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:178)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
[2014-01-26 18:21:47.119] DEBUG: Error in block generation thread
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:178)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
[2014-01-26 18:21:48.121] DEBUG: Error in block generation thread
[2014-01-26 18:21:49.125] DEBUG: Error in block generation thread
at Nxt$Account.getGuaranteedBalance(Nxt.java:596)
[2014-01-26 18:21:50.128] DEBUG: Error in block generation thread
[2014-01-26 18:21:51.144] DEBUG: Error in block generation thread
[2014-01-26 18:21:52.147] DEBUG: Error in block generation thread
[2014-01-26 18:21:52.583] Re-scanning blockchain...
[2014-01-26 18:21:57.305] Generated an incorrect block. Waiting for the next one...
[2014-01-26 18:21:59.210] ...Done
Pages: « 1 ... 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: