Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:53:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 [1229] 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
Ola

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:27:24 AM

Good evening everyone, Good job to the guys in miami moving things forward inch by inch and everyone else contributing to the community...been in the cave working on something racing against nexern psychologically

I think having Joe as the voice of the NXT minute would be a good idea if he's doing the community show about it.   You want to be the voice of NXT joe?

I have an idea, anyone opposed to the idea of hiring Stephanie Murphy from LTB as a voice and special liason to crypto community in general? she is quite embedded in the crypto world and she has an authoritative and sexy voice which people listen too..I don't know how she pulls it off. If anything, we can dedicate some funds to her involvement if she chooses to. I think she will easily see the value which Nxt brings to the table and will be able to present Nxt in an objective way, from my impression of her at least. An objective presentation of Nxt is a very compelling message, Nxt naturally is superior to anything out there even bitcoin. Bitcoin is a dinosaur compared to NXT, its just that no one knows this yet...this is not bias, its just a fact.

Edit: together with Joe of course

Nxter,Bitcoiner,Ether highlevel developer working to improve the world.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rickyjames

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:31:50 AM

i hate to sound sexist but it would be difficult to find a female who was capable of sounding authoritative.

I wish I had that problem.  At least my second wife is nice to me. Cheesy
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:39:28 AM

I would love some type of NXT podcast   Grin

Get both male and female NXT podcasters along with maybe a live stream and chat feature Smiley

Who is NXT's most prominent female NXTer Huh

i hate to sound sexist but it would be difficult to find a female who was capable of sounding authoritative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Defensor_Santiago

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:40:37 AM

Totally agree. Fees adjusted to voting power are absolutely necessary.
IMO the best way with voting is to make the fee for the vote proportional to the stake.
What fee?  Huh
If transaction fee then stakeholders would return them by forging own transactions in own blocks. Roll Eyes
If fee to some voting address with somewhat redistribution after voting then it is gamed again by creating many accounts. Tongue

The more I think about it the more I think it may be a good idea for you to to be forced to forfeit fees you pay in blocks you generate, specifically for reasons like this.  Not sure where they would go, maybe just send to a random account that had a recent outgoing transaction.  That would be sort of cool, actually.

the whole gaming thing though, it why like I said before Im sort of predisposed against global voting as a method of implementing NXT operations though.  so far no one has come up with anything bulletproof, so maybe it is just impractical...  the only thing I can think to even come close to penalizing for gaming by using multiple accounts would be to make voting cheaper the more NXT you have.  but then that is very unfair for the people with not much NXT!  so maybe no solution at all?
opticalcarrier

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:43:02 AM

The more NXT someone has, the more right he has to decide. It's natural. Someone with 50% ownership on a company has a 50% right to decide something..

It's so easy. So why do you fighting over this so much?
I agree too, but this is only under the assumption that large stakeholders will always do things in the best interest of the currency's growth and health. However, I am sure at some point there could be large NXT stakeholders that would vote for something just not acceptable by a majority of the community and it would be interesting to see how that would play out in the actual decision making process.
Well, they are the majority. So let it be.

They're not the majority. That's the point here.
They are. If you have 50$ and the other guy 1$ then you have the majority of wealth. So you are should be allowed to say more.

Fortunately, our democratic systems do not work this way (not yet, I fear).

You should be allowed to say more if you spend more of you wealth:
Say, if you spend 1/10 of your wealth it's more than if somebody spend 1/10000 of theirs. It appears it's not so important to them.

NXT is an economic ecosystem, not a state. In PoS 1 NXT is equivalent to 1 person (like SSN, birth certificate, or whatever) because this is the only way to truly account for the validity of each NXT, so 1 NXT = 1 Vote. All other methods will be gamed by the rich to make the poor poorer. For example, using 1 account = 1 Vote, a large stakeholder can create 10k accounts easily, while a small stakeholder will go broke doing it. No matter what you do, the rich can always afford more accounts than the poor can. Thus voting on an account basis is unrealistic.

I think a good analogy would be (within the NXT ecosystem), 1 NXT = 1 Person, Account Owner = Representative. So if you own 10k NXT, you are their representative and represent their "views", but you cannot speak for all the NXTs under other representatives.

I can understand your point of view. But do not make the Nxt ecosystem for Nxt. We do it for the people. And when people don't like it because it does not seem fair they won't support it.

There are more different methods as only these two (1 Vote = 1 Nxt and 1 vote = 1 account) and variants of them.

The problem with these two is, there is nothing at stake. You can vote whatever and whenever you want.

If you have to pay for each vote and the amount of what you pay directly influences the voting power, you really think of voting when and what and how much is it worth to me.

So, something is at stake now. I cannot simply pay 10.000.000 to simply outvote everyone else. Because, in the next voting session would won't have any coins left.

Can you produce any valid argument against fee-based voting? I would really like to hear them as I want Nxt to thrive because people love it.

Technically, everyone who votes, as a stakeholder, has something at stake. Large stakeholders won't vote for things that would destroy the value of their NXT, correct? They will not also vote to harm small stakeholders, because that would hurt or prevent new users from coming into the system, thus hurting their own stake.

Perhaps, like others have mentioned before, we should have different voting methods for different things.

1) For bigger things like deciding decimal points, which feature should be prioritized, etc. then we can use 1 NXT = 1 Vote. On these issues, everyone should care, but the larger stakeholders technically have more at risk, so they should have more say in what direction NXT should follow. This will also encourage everyone in the NXT ecosystem to vote because there is no fee, plus they wouldn't want to hand all the power to large stakeholders. Additionally, with the wealth dispersion that is on-going, not all the large holders will vote for the same thing all the time, so I think it'll work out.

2) For more trivial things like banners, logos, etc. we can use 1 Cost = 1 Vote. The idea is that since these things are not as important, people only will pay as much as they care, which makes sense. Plus, if someone really wants a particular banner and pays 10000's of NXT... let them and redistribute NXT to everyone else.

My only concern with 2) is that it may be abused, or that many stakeholders will end up not voting because they will think, "oh, I'll let other stakeholders fight it out with their NXT, not mine." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect) So I still feel 1) is the best course of action because everyone is voting with their stake, at stake.

and the one thing everyone keeps ignoring the "james bond villian" scenario where large stakeholders DONT behave the way you expect.
opticalcarrier

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:44:12 AM

On the plane home from Miami. Thank you to everyone for the kind words, it was a great experience and I look forward to helping with the next steps.

dude, thanks a TON for ally youve done.  Hope you had a blast!
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:46:00 AM

Get both male and female NXT podcasters along with maybe a live stream and chat feature Smiley

oh wow. she looks and sounds like hitler the way she points and moves her arms and body, and the way the tone of her voice rises and falls. scary

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Thingamajig

Activity: 497
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:48:22 AM

oh wow. she looks and sounds like hitler the way she points and moves her arms and body, and the way the tone of her voice rises and falls. scary

I don't think he means Authoritative; I think the words he's looking for is confident/assertive. But not to an extent thats rude or otherwise facist, lol.
rickyjames

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:49:35 AM

anyone opposed to the idea of hiring Stephanie Murphy from LTB as a voice and special liason to crypto community in general? she is quite embedded in the crypto world and she has an authoritative and sexy voice which people listen too..I don't know how she pulls it off.

I'm sure she is a good choice but this discussion of female voices has reminded me of the Christmas present I have been enjoying tremendously over the past few weeks that my wonderful wife got me - a boxed DVD set of the Emma Peel episodes from that classic British TV series, The Avengers.  I loved that show as an adolescent and I am enjoying it all over again all these decades later.  The Avengers is a timeless show.  So while I am sure Stephanie is an excellent choice purely on your recommendation, it would just be so cool if we could get a British female voice, I think they are just so awesome....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4g3zvz8fgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJSpUFnSsB0

http://www.amazon.com/The-Avengers-Complete-Emma-Megaset/dp/B00E5G03I4

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:50:19 AM

I don't think he means Authoritative; I think the words he's looking for is confident/assertive. But not to an extent thats rude or otherwise facist, lol.

yes that is what i meant but i thought thats what authoritative meant. i often have a very different idea of what words mean than other people so im used to this Tongue

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
xyzzyx

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

I don't really come from outer space.

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:57:06 AM

Totally agree. Fees adjusted to voting power are absolutely necessary.
IMO the best way with voting is to make the fee for the vote proportional to the stake.
What fee?  Huh
If transaction fee then stakeholders would return them by forging own transactions in own blocks. Roll Eyes
If fee to some voting address with somewhat redistribution after voting then it is gamed again by creating many accounts. Tongue

The more I think about it the more I think it may be a good idea for you to to be forced to forfeit fees you pay in blocks you generate, specifically for reasons like this.  Not sure where they would go, maybe just send to a random account that had a recent outgoing transaction.  That would be sort of cool, actually.

the whole gaming thing though, it why like I said before Im sort of predisposed against global voting as a method of implementing NXT operations though.  so far no one has come up with anything bulletproof, so maybe it is just impractical...  the only thing I can think to even come close to penalizing for gaming by using multiple accounts would be to make voting cheaper the more NXT you have.  but then that is very unfair for the people with not much NXT!  so maybe no solution at all?

It could be made so that an account that has a transaction in the current block is disallowed to forge the current block -- if the account forges the block and has one or more transactions contained in it, the block will just be rejected by the peers and the next account in line gets the opportunity to forge.

"An awful lot of code is being written ... in languages that aren't very good by people who don't know what they're doing." -- Barbara Liskov
opticalcarrier

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:14:29 AM

It could be made so that an account that has a transaction in the current block is disallowed to forge the current block -- if the account forges the block and has one or more transactions contained in it, the block will just be rejected by the peers and the next account in line gets the opportunity to forge.

I had thought about that also and then decided I didnt like it - I dont like the idea of preventing transactions at all.  Some things are just going to be mission-critical and the idea that you can be blocked out would be bad for NXT as a currency.  I say just let the transaction go, but you still pay the fee.  The fee just gets distributed according to some algorithm that uses accounts that paid fees from the past few blocks as candidates to receive the fee.  It would be a cool random way to receive NXT that also rewards people who sent transactions.

So maybe if you wanted to send a transaction in your own block and you set a fee of 1 NXT you would be allowed to do this - you would just also be forced to also include a sendMoney transaction in the amount of that fee (in this case 1 NXT) to an account that sometime in the past 100 blocks paid a fee for something (if it paid a fee then the passphrase for that account is known) to send a transaction.  It could not be arbitrary - it would have to have some set algorithm that would be followed to choose that account - that way it could be enforced.

With transparent forging, lets face it, many people are going to get free transactions.  A block forger could even choose to not send ANY transactions except its own, a block chock full of only his own transactions, and do so for free while ignoring everyone elses transactions...[/i]  Do we want this behavior?  May be a good idea for us to discuss this more.

And actually, I think similar logic could be used for a fair voting system.... let me think on that a bit.
joefox

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 05:23:41 AM

Hi everyone.

How about these for a couple of proofs of concept?  Two one-minute spots I recorded this evening:

General Nxt intro: https://soundcloud.com/whatsupnxt/nxtminute-0001
Nxt minute: https://soundcloud.com/whatsupnxt/nxtminute_0002

I welcome feedback.

I admin the Nxt Wiki at http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/ Please support my work by donating to Nxt account #1234567740944417915
wwtree

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:26:50 AM

NXT can't sync. please help

always no active peers.

Blacklisted peers [2]

Recent blocks [1]

0      1739068987193023818      24/11/2013 22:30:00   
73      1'000'000'000 + 0      9'344 B   
-1      2680262203532249785      100 %   

Framewood

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:29:31 AM

Hi everyone.

How about these for a couple of proofs of concept?  Two one-minute spots I recorded this evening:

I welcome feedback.

Love it! Works for me Smiley
colorfish

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:42:26 AM

Update 13: Bitcoin Conference Miami

This one is a big deal; we had a great meeting with Eric from ZipZap. JustaBit has talked with Zipzap quite a bit in the past for Peercoin, providing what they needed to make an informed decision about adding it to their platform. Today, Eric, myself, JustaBit and eB101 talked about how to move Nxt forward with Zipzap. Fantastic information, Eric is a straight shooter which I appreciate.  JustaBit is willing to help facilitate this the same way he did with Peercoin. Once we're added to Vircurex and/or Cryptsy, we'll provide liquidity information to help push this forward.

Update 13b

It hasn't been made public yet, but JustaBit will be leaving the Peer community at the end of the month on great terms to work on a company we've been developing called CoinTropolis. He'll have much more bandwidth available for Nxt. If you're not familiar with ZipZap, you might want to start reading up now. Zipzap will allow us to get coins into the hands of Joe User for cash. This is the big leagues in crypto.

It was great to have eB101 with us during the meetings, I know he'll do a great job helping coordinate the International Nxt community.
Good job!
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:49:46 AM

Hi everyone.

I welcome feedback.

all and all not bad. if nothing else it gives a pretty decent fall back plan. listening to this makes me feel more comfortable about the proposition in general. Smiley

mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 05:50:51 AM

Hi everyone.

I welcome feedback.

I left one comment on the audio itself, basically make sure you identify what NXT is in a short and easily understood way as I described there.

Beyond that, I love these.  This is exactly what I want.  

For music for the main show, I really like http://www.generalfuzz.net/tunes.php both The Jam and the arrival.  

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
opticalcarrier

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:50:59 AM

NXT can't sync. please help

always no active peers.

Blacklisted peers [2]

Recent blocks [1]

0      1739068987193023818      24/11/2013 22:30:00   
73      1'000'000'000 + 0      9'344 B   
-1      2680262203532249785      100 %   

your best route for help is in nxt forums.  try forums.nxtcrypto.org or nextcoin.org  first though, try to make sure PC clock is accurate and you arent manully changing the clock itself for timezone or daylight savings.  if this isnt it, then post in one of hte NXT forums
bithic

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:53:42 AM

Hi everyone.

I welcome feedback.

Good stuff. Week two is great. Week one has good content, but it sounds like a corporate advertisement. I think it needs to communicate the exciting community-driven nature of it somehow. It should make people feel like they want to get in on what's happening. I think it would benefit from a slightly more conversational tone too. Can you post the text, or send it to me?
Pages: « 1 ... 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 [1229] 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: