Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:51:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 84 »
  Print  
Author Topic: www.BITSTAMP.net Bitcoin exchange site for USD/BTC  (Read 231196 times)
klabaki

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 12:53:54 AM
Last edit: July 01, 2013, 01:27:44 AM by klabaki

Fuck yeah, money math precision is an ass pain of all financial amateurs running bitcoin services. Looks like only gox using int64 for internal money calculations. All others use some shitty rounding or floating point math.

Of course, this is pennies and I don't care. But small or daily traders should.
Bitstamp uses fixed-point arithmetics, just like they ought to do. The orders are executed with the precise BTC amount that they were posted for. The transaction's USD amount is calculated as BTC amount times price, rounded like the following:
  • x.499999.... rounds down to x
  • x.50000....1 rounds up to x+1
  • exactly x.5 triggers a randomness, rounding to x or x+1 with a 50/50 chance.
Seems fair to me.

The fee is calculated as USD amount times your personal fee rate, the result is rounded up, minimum 0.01 USD. I think this is what kakobrekla is complaining about.

Ƶ = µBTC

Wer den Satoshi nicht ehrt, der ist den Ƶibcoin nicht wert.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:22:43 AM

Fuck yeah, money math precision is an ass pain of all financial amateurs running bitcoin services. Looks like only gox using int64 for internal money calculations. All others use some shitty rounding or floating point math.

Bitstamp uses fixed-point arithmetics, just like they ought to do. The orders are executed with the precise BTC amount that they were posted for. The transaction's USD amount is calculated as BTC amount times price, rounded like the following:
Seems fair to me.

The fee is calculated as USD amount times your personal fee rate, the result is rounded up, minimum 0.01 USD. I think this is what kakobrekla is complaining about.
Where did you find this information?
klabaki

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:47:37 AM

Seems fair to me.

Where did you find this information?
In my transaction history.

Ƶ = µBTC

Pompobit

Activity: 736
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:57:52 PM

what's the point to use google authenticator if using the trading API anyone that steals my username and password can empty my account?
klabaki

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:02:49 PM

what's the point to use google authenticator if using the trading API anyone that steals my username and password can empty my account?
If I remember that correctly, I had to enable API access in my account settings before I could start using the API.

So it's disabled by default, i.e. only API traders will have it enabled, and those should know what they are doing.

Ƶ = µBTC

maco

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:37:52 PM

5th transaction with BITSTAMP and still happy.

I love the security feature which requires (EMAIL CONFIRMATION) during transaction.  This is a great security feature/mechanism just in case...

Question for Bitstamp:
How often does this email confirmation occur? or is it when I am not doing too many transactions
when email confirmations kick in? or is it random? what is the going rate for email confirms.
juhakall

Activity: 657

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 09:41:12 PM

I love the security feature which requires (EMAIL CONFIRMATION) during transaction.  This is a great security feature/mechanism just in case...

Question for Bitstamp:
How often does this email confirmation occur? or is it when I am not doing too many transactions
when email confirmations kick in? or is it random? what is the going rate for email confirms.

Unless I'm mistaken, confirmation emails are only sent when you withdraw USD or BTC. That should deter most attackers, since they can't directly steal anything if they have access to the account.

I'm currently developing an experimental social AI platform
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:11:43 PM

I love the security feature which requires (EMAIL CONFIRMATION) during transaction.  This is a great security feature/mechanism just in case...

Question for Bitstamp:

Unless I'm mistaken, confirmation emails are only sent when you withdraw USD or BTC. That should deter most attackers, since they can't directly steal anything if they have access to the account.

Correct, if the featured is activate on an account (it is on by default) then all USD or BTC withdrawals and API key activation require email confirmation.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
maco

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 01:34:08 AM

Yes, during withdraws. Okay perfect! Thanks for your response.

Question for Bitstamp:

maco

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 01:35:37 AM

Okay Thanks for the info on that, hazek.

I just wanted to get that cleared up to make sure myself and others know its in our best interest.
I actually think this is very important just in case. Good work on this feature.

And keep up the good work in the value you offer here to the community!

I love the security feature which requires (EMAIL CONFIRMATION) during transaction.  This is a great security feature/mechanism just in case...

Question for Bitstamp:

Correct, if the featured is activate on an account (it is on by default) then all USD or BTC withdrawals and API key activation require email confirmation.

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:11:23 AM

While it's not new, if at all possible please also make sure to use the two factor authentication security feature with the email confirmation security feature for the most possible security for your account. You can download a guide how to set it up here: https://www.bitstamp.net/s/documents/bitstamp_2_factor_authentication_guide.pdf

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:22:14 PM

Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, but I couldn't find it on the site: Are there any fees for converting USD to EUR during withdrawal or deposit?
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:30:32 PM

Only the banks exchange fees:
http://www.unicreditbank.si/tecajna_lista/?t=1&id_menu=&language=ENG

What i was wondering for qquite some time:
Bitstamp is a majotr player in Europe, why not offer a EUR exchange???
There are already plans for other Exchanges to focus more on EU customers.
Why is this not implemented, which doesnt take a genius to copy and you guys are loosing money daily.
IG0BR0KE

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:36:11 PM

sry if the question have already been posed but i would like to know how many days it takes to get his account verified on bitstamp? thank for your answer.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:38:42 PM

Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, but I couldn't find it on the site: Are there any fees for converting USD to EUR during withdrawal or deposit?

There are no fees, the funds get converted automatically by our bank's daily exchange rate spreads which you can examine here: http://www.unicreditbank.si/tecajna_lista/?t=1&id_menu=&language=ENG

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:48:29 PM

sry if the question have already been posed but i would like to know how many days it takes to get his account verified on bitstamp? thank for your answer.

It's usually the same or the next day.

dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 02:35:17 PM

I am very sad about the API change. Skip, offset? And limited to a max request of 100 trades?

Tell me, how do I fetch "all trades since 1st june" now? Iterate over and over again with a limit of 100 results and proceed with a smallish offset like 60 to avoid missing new trades, because there is no relation between offset and anything else?

The old fetch wasn't optimal, but this is dissatisfying and will create way more requests and an even bigger overhead. Suggestion: from, since time or TID.

And please create a newsletter for developers or publish a PSA for further changes.

Edit: limit and offset isn't even working.

https://www.bitstamp.net/api/transactions/?offset=1500&limit=10

juhakall

Activity: 657

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 02:54:01 PM

I am very sad about the API change. Skip, offset? And limited to a max request of 100 trades?

Tell me, how do I fetch "all trades since 1st june" now? Iterate over and over again with a limit of 100 results and proceed with a smallish offset like 60 to avoid missing new trades, because there is no relation between offset and anything else?

The old fetch wasn't optimal, but this is dissatisfying and will create way more requests and an even bigger overhead. Suggestion: from, since time or TID.

And please create a newsletter for developers or publish a PSA for further changes.

Quote from: God
Kids with css skills learning entrepreneurship on your teeth.

You're welcome, kakobrekla.

I'm currently developing an experimental social AI platform
klabaki

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:46:38 PM

Looks like I have to do some coding again Undecided (I am lazy.)

But we can all admit that the old API wasn't optimal either, was it?

The problem with the new API is that "offset" is counted from the latest transaction backward, while you can't know what the latest transaction is, as you haven't queried it, yet.

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe it works using POST parameters? The server used to be very distinctive about GET and POST parameters.

Ƶ = µBTC

dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 04:09:35 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2013, 04:48:38 PM by dexX7

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe it works using POST parameters? The server used to be very distinctive about GET and POST parameters.

+1

POST instead of GET did the trick. Limit = 300000 works very fine, higher numbers will probably too. Thanks! Wink

The problem with the new API is that "offset" is counted from the latest transaction backward, while you can't know what the latest transaction is, as you haven't queried it, yet.

Very accurate.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 84 »
  Print  

Jump to: