Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:19:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5908 5909 5910 5911 5912 5913 5914 5915 5916 5917 5918 5919 5920 5921 5922 5923 5924 5925 5926 5927 5928 5929 5930 5931 5932 5933 5934 5935 5936 5937 5938 5939 5940 5941 5942 5943 5944 5945 5946 5947 5948 5949 5950 5951 5952 5953 5954 5955 5956 5957 [5958] 5959 5960 5961 5962 5963 5964 5965 5966 5967 5968 5969 5970 5971 5972 5973 5974 5975 5976 5977 5978 5979 5980 5981 5982 5983 5984 5985 5986 5987 5988 5989 5990 5991 5992 5993 5994 5995 5996 5997 5998 5999 6000 6001 6002 6003 6004 6005 6006 6007 6008 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722683 times)
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 03:07:49 PM

It has it's Pro's and Con's...

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/25/a-florida-judge-has-ruled-that-bitcoin-isnt-money/

...so much for BTC. What about DASH....??

I think Dash (as any other cryptocurrency) will currently be in the same boat over there  
as it is really a lack of cryptocurrency law in general that is working against Florida State
prosecution in this case and future cases.

The solution for the Florida State prosecution will be simple (and the judge also hints at it) :
create more specific cryptocurrency related law and enforce it.

Till then there will be cryptocurrency regulations (Bitlicense) at one side and non-enforcement law at the other side.

Which is fine by me  Grin

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 04:12:38 PM

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/25/a-florida-judge-has-ruled-that-bitcoin-isnt-money/

She chose her criteria in a way that would yield the same result for all non-State-issued offerings. For example, "Is it issued by a government?... if not, it is not money".

Seriously?  She knows absolutely nothing about money then  Roll Eyes  However, I believe that's a good thing. I mean, at least for me, it's easier to just call it capital gains, LOL.

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 04:24:35 PM

So, there is currently a proposal for sponsoring the Jackalope Freedom Festival, and although it's faltering, it got a fine stamp of approval from Amanda Johnson.

Quote from DashWhale by Amanda B. Johnson:

Hi, all.

I think this proposal is a good idea. It may be a bit on the spendy side, but I've seen much more ridiculously expensive proposals get passed with flying colors.

Here is why I think it is a good idea: agorist-slanting libertarians have been *major* first movers in cryptocurrency -- major drivers of adoption. I experienced this first-hand when I lived in New Hampshire, where the Bitcoin adoption among "Free Staters" I knew was almost too high to be believed.

It was in that same crowd that I first met Alma. I invited her to speak on Bitcoin with me (about 2 years ago) at a New Hampshire's Liberty Forum. She fell ill and was not able to attend, but I was able to spend time with her and come to know that she is legit. I even wrote about her unbanked baby Neo for CoinTelegraph about a year later.

The branding of the van, which they may well take to other events, is a fantastic idea -- and unlike John Bush's proposal (which passed), it won't be a van with Dash AND Bitcoin AND Ethereum on it. It will be just Dash.

And also like Alma says, Dash's logo will be in the background for all the speeches by "celebertarians" filmed on the stage. These will continue to get views on YouTube well after the festival has ended.

So many libertarians thought Bitcoin had come to save them forever, and now they're a bit confused and wandering with its problems coming to light (or worse, they don't even know about its problems because they're just keeping their BTC in cold storage for "retirement savings"). Pointing them in a new and better direction -- the direction they *thought* Bitcoin was going to go -- will likely be profitable for us.

I'd encourage y'all to vote yes on this proposal. Thanks.

(cross-post from Dash forum, which includes video and article links to events discussed above: https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/proposal-dash-to-sponsor-the-fifth-annual-jackalope-freedom-festival.9823/)

Please have a look, and vote:  https://www.dashwhale.org/p/jackfest-sponsorship

And while you're there, please have a look at all the other proposals and vote!  Thanks Smiley

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 04:33:26 PM

She chose her criteria in a way that would yield the same result for all non-State-issued offerings. For example, "Is it issued by a government?... if not, it is not money".

Seriously?  She knows absolutely nothing about money then  Roll Eyes  However, I believe that's a good thing. I mean, at least for me, it's easier to just call it capital gains, LOL.

She acknowledged as much, according to another write-up about the case (which I haven't been able to retrieve and quote). She apparently said something like "this court is not an expert in economic matters but...."

The Miami Herald links in the techcrunch article don't work for me ("Access Denied"), but perhaps you could see her detailed ruling if you can make them work.

The techcrunch piece had its own version of ethnocentrism: "At some point state and federal lawmakers (and even those in other countries) are going to have to...." Imagine that - a world outside Florida, even outside Murica! I think the old systems are waaayyy out of their depth when dealing with global crypto. They are thrashing about though, so be careful out there.    Wink

Taylor05

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 06:31:15 PM

Proposal: Applications (Work Apps & Accounting)

https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/proposal-applications-work-apps-accounting.9883/
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2016, 06:52:03 PM

then you need to borrow money from them instead and ask for those negative interest rate LOL

...but what are the implications of negative interest rates ?

To me it's that the price of money has gone negative - that is that nobody wants it and money is now toxic. The reason banks want you to borrow is so they can swap their toxic liquidity for your secure assets (like your house) when you default, which is what they will make sure you do in the event of a banking collapse.

Free money = Honey pot.

Negative interest rates means banks are in the end game. That cannot be sustainable in any way I can imagine. For it to work they also have to ban cash and gold and bitcoin and dash. It also means most normal people will be fleeced
Johnny00

Activity: 896
Merit: 553

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 07:29:51 PM

Negative interest rates are used by governments to get those to invest the money. Another way to prop up the economy.

|
We plan to invest over
$1 billion in the regulated, licensed,
and legal businesses to build the IOB Mesh
|
Same Token,IOB
Multiple Regulated
Security Token
ICOs Across the World.
|
TELEGRAM
TWITTER
GITHUB
REDDIT
中文电报群
MEDIUM
BITCOINTALK
LINKEDIN
Walter_S

Activity: 310

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 07:34:33 PM

zero/Negative rates effectively means the value of assets could be considered infinite, no?

That's assuming all the economic theory holds true...

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 08:02:34 PM

LoL !

BrainShutdown
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 08:09:28 PM

The man himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4fSJEMymQ

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 08:30:56 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2016, 10:56:57 PM by Otoh

lol, literally everyone selling everything for ETC Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue Grin

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Walter_S

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 08:39:08 PM

Any community members running their MNs on IP6? What are your experiences?

I'm looking into moving my MNs to another datacentre (and beefing them up a bit) and figured I could save a few bucks opting for IP6 if it's working for people. I also want to reduce the amount of times my MNs crash as it seems to be happening every other week now, I can only put this down to performance issues on the current platform... Not so expensive a couple of years ago but at $20 a missed payment lost earnings are starting to rack up!  Cry

Walter

Not sure about IPv6, I didn't even know it worked in the current stable release. However, I am using OVH lowest tier VPS at only $3.49 a month. Crazy cheap, and my nodes have been up for months without any missed payments (only using cron job to monitor dashd, and to startup on reboot in case of unforeseen maintenance). 10gig SSD, 2GB ram, and ddos protection.

Yes, you can run your nodes with IPV6.  You may have trouble starting your nodes if your internet service is only IPV4 or doesn't tunnel properly.  Put your IP in [] in the config files and start with a windows machine and you will probably have no issues.  If you are trying to start from linux you may need to make a tunnel.

https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/ipv6-addresses.6061/  

As for keeping your nodes running, dashwhale.org has a notifier with a remote connection that can restart if stalled or node crashes.  Biggest thing is to make sure you have 750MB of RAM or more per node and to zero the debug log every few days.

Thanks for the info and help Smiley

Going to rig up a new MN farm with IPv6 and some beefier hardware. I'll also enable the restart thing in my dashwhale. A combination of the two should sort me out.

Cheers

Walter
megges

Activity: 371

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 08:41:27 PM

literally everyone selling everything for ETC Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue Grin

I'm not, i have the feelig i'm too late for that etc train :O

Instead i bought some DASH on that drop (after i sold them 4 days ago *happyme* - almost 10% more dash in 4 days wooohooo) Cheesy

I hope everyone is doing well, too, with these dips

tip me! Tongue XtSrWch1U3BsTBFBHj7acTTzxFo1fy5BMa
Walter_S

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 09:01:13 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2016, 09:33:22 PM by Walter_S

It's an astonishing sight for sure... I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before. I almost sold a few hundred dash and purchased a few thousand ETC yesterday (as a longshot punt with good odds) just because my fundamental view is that it boils down to a simple equation:

Ethereum universe = 100% support
Ethereum Hard Fork support supposedly 45%
Ethereum 65% against

* these numbers are all subjective but based on the Miner vote results (the results that matter). Some say that the community voted in favour somewhere in the region of 85% for and 15% against, although I have no empirical evidence of this (?).

Therefore ETC value would logically be 65% of pre-fork value of the whole. Circa $700m. At the time it's market cap was somewhere around the $50m mark. Even if we take the community vote numbers of 15% support we reach a value of around $150m, a healthy profit even at that level. My best guess is that we'll end up somewhere in the middle, such is the nature of game theory as stalemate sets in. My logic is clearly based on the assumption that 'value' and 'hash rates' are very much correlated and if 100% of the miners created a $1bn market cap then whatever percentage move over to ETC will 'take' that value with them.

By my logic purchasing ETC at levels of yesterday evening was a bet with little downside... But I sat on my hands because I don't gamble and - more importantly - it looked too good to be true...! So I figured I'd missed something in my calculations... Either way, for once it's one of those rare occasions where the market completely miss-prices an asset. It doesn't happen very often and rarely by such a large amount.

What do you make of it all OTOH? Kept your hands in your pockets?

Cheers

Walter

toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 09:37:25 PM

Therefore ETC value would logically be 65% of pre-fork value of the whole. Circa £700m. At the time it's market cap was somewhere around the £50m mark. Even if we take the community vote numbers of 15% support we reach a value of around £150m, a healthy profit even at that level.

Wow - nice bit of estimating ! I didn't even think that far. Just stuck a BTC or two into it plus about 60 Dash that I was pretty confident I'd get back.

Here's my take on the whole show. (Inspired by David Seaman's 'scam' rant. I find him incredibly nice but incredibly wrong about almost everything he comments on  Cheesy  I don't know - maybe he'll have the last laugh. I seem to think ETC is here to stay though).
AzzAz
Legendary

Activity: 1030
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 09:47:25 PM

I'm interested in your opinion?
Walter_S

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 09:52:06 PM

Nice work Toknormal, it's going to be an interesting few weeks to see how it pans out but I suspect we'll see ETC continue to rise until it reaches $650m, it may even overshoot in the short run. This is only based on my somewhat crude calculations. The reality is that the whole thing is a bit of a crap shoot at best!

I get enough fun out of this just spectating...  Tongue

Walter
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 10:08:43 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2016, 10:22:38 PM by toknormal

I get enough fun out of this just spectating...  Tongue

You're not the only one ! I'm sure half the industry is wiping its brow thinking "there but for the grace of God....". At least everyone's getting a whole pile of lessons in what to do and what not to do in various situations, accompanied by a load of real world empirical evidence.

I've noticed that markets way prefer authentic "warts an' all" stuff over sanitised offerings. It's the authenticity you see - with bitcoin being the most 'in our faces' example  Wink

This shows that Dash was right to stick with its path even though it had a flakey start. There is only one Dash and because of those early decisions there only ever will be one now. Markets like that. It's a huge value protector from clones. All last year's fud storms did was to add to that uniqueness through controversy, and consolidate its value along the lines of "what doesn't kill you..." basis.

Now...I'm off to get those 60 coins back  Grin
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 10:29:01 PM

Going back to the proposal from QuantumExplorer, https://www.dashwhale.org/p/anon-by-masternodes , Solid_snake_node just reminded me of a great benefit of doing this research and possibly implementing such a service.  If the Dash network provided extra services such as a TOR/VPN hybrid, it would attract a lot more people to Dash from "outside" and once they realize all the other services Dash has to offer as Digital Cash, we'll be increasing our user base.

So if you didn't understand the proposal, or if you were on the fence, or if you've already voted no, I ask you to please take a look at this proposal again.  I really think it would be an excellent addition to Dash.

Remember, this would be designed as an opt-in service.  People in countries that have laws against running TOR services, etc... could opt out at providing this service with their MNs.

I feel this service is directly in line with our stance on privacy and will enhance using Dash for private transactions.  Please re-read the proposal if you haven't seen the latest cleaned up iteration, and reconsider your vote.  Thank you very much!!!

moocowmoo

Activity: 263

bovine quadruped, professional loafer, dash dev

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2016, 10:38:34 PM

thanks for the reply, i removed the ~

question : i noticed dashwhale use a cron job as follows :

Code:
*/2 *  * * *   root /opt/dashwhale-updater/dwupdater
why is root used in there ? and should root be used in the above mentioned cron job code to clear de debug.log ?

They're showing you the system crontab syntax from /etc/crontab
I wouldn't recommend manually editing this file.

If you *need* to schedule a root crontab, just switch to root and add it to roots userland crontab
Code:
sudo su - ; crontab -e

But, in principle, I don't recommend running anything automatically as root that pulls updates.

And, no, clearing the debug log as root user is a one-size-fits-all approach to the problem.
It's better to perform maintenance as the user running the program.

sidenote : i tried to get their Dashwhale remote monitoring part to work this morning, but i have dashd running from my home/user directory
and it just wouldn't monitor it correctly. Problem was that i seem to have no rights to move files in the "opt" folder through WINSCP, so i ended up trying
to adjust their code to home/user settings (which didnt work as i hoped). So now i'm just using their cron job code and files to restart my masternodes
if necessary and disabled remote monitoring for now.

I haven't looked closely enough at the dashwhale code to have any advice, but a quick glance shows that it should be able to run from anywhere.  /opt is just a standard place (in some distros/schools of thought) to place "other" stuff.

I'm aware of your own monitoring software by the way Moocowmoo, but i was hoping to get something working in windows as i'm more comfortable in there.
If you some day could make your own monitoring software ready for windows use, that would be great.

Dashman doesn't do monitoring yet, only installs and updates.

Look for something comprehensive next year sometime, maybe early, maybe later. (Lots of other stuff to build first.)

But, fair warning, I don't know if I'm going to attempt supporting Windows.

tips: XmoocowYfrPKUR6p6M5aJZdVntQe71irCX | identity: https://keybase.io/moocowmoo
service: https://masternode.me -- The first automated masternode service. Ugly website, stellar uptimes and hands-on support. Over 150 nodes with 300+ days uptime!
Pages: « 1 ... 5908 5909 5910 5911 5912 5913 5914 5915 5916 5917 5918 5919 5920 5921 5922 5923 5924 5925 5926 5927 5928 5929 5930 5931 5932 5933 5934 5935 5936 5937 5938 5939 5940 5941 5942 5943 5944 5945 5946 5947 5948 5949 5950 5951 5952 5953 5954 5955 5956 5957 [5958] 5959 5960 5961 5962 5963 5964 5965 5966 5967 5968 5969 5970 5971 5972 5973 5974 5975 5976 5977 5978 5979 5980 5981 5982 5983 5984 5985 5986 5987 5988 5989 5990 5991 5992 5993 5994 5995 5996 5997 5998 5999 6000 6001 6002 6003 6004 6005 6006 6007 6008 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: