Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:23:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 [853] 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722525 times)
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:44:26 PM

I would like to ask the devs to make it compulsory to include the blockchain as part of the supernodes, and have it as 'read by anyone'.
I think that once we have the supernodes up and running with a readable blockchain that is accessible by anyone, different services might evolve independent of the darkcoin devs on top of this, such as the thin wallet described by TS.

Personally, I'm thinking less about smartphone wallet, and more about symbian wallet for third world countries.
These countries enjoy a huge influx of remittances by workers sending money back home, traditionally via Western Union.
We have in our village Thai and Filipino students/workers. I heard how much they are charged for transfers and almost fell to the ground.

This is  huge market of more than $0.5 TRILLION PER YEAR.

I think this also bundles well with the Darkcoin gift-card that the devs are working on.

Mandatory is a bit heavy, it would lessen the network's integrity. But it CAN absolutely be a perfect gateway to sub GPRS networks, and PERFECT for Africa, as it is already the norm in Kenya and Tanzania. People trade cellphone minutes for eggs, literally! Using the M-Pesa, its quite literally current daily currency over there.

Would spread like wildfire as it would be... waaaaaait fooooor iiiiiit... decentralised.

HUGE market cap!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-Pesa

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aleix
Legendary

Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:45:23 PM

I would like to ask the devs to make it compulsory to include the blockchain as part of the supernodes, and have it as 'read by anyone'.
I think that once we have the supernodes up and running with a readable blockchain that is accessible by anyone, different services might evolve independent of the darkcoin devs on top of this, such as the thin wallet described by TS.

Personally, I'm thinking less about smartphone wallet, and more about symbian wallet for third world countries.
These countries enjoy a huge influx of remittances by workers sending money back home, traditionally via Western Union.
We have in our village Thai and Filipino students/workers. I heard how much they are charged for transfers and almost fell to the ground.

I think this also bundles well with the Darkcoin gift-card that the devs are working on.

This is a great idea.

This is something that Andreas Antonopoulos is always talking in his conferences. I think we must focus in real "third world" problems instead of western world merchants.

We must beat Western Union first, then other FIAT currencies
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:49:38 PM

Another dump without much expression so far! Look at that order book on mintpal!

This coins is going to be huge
Simcom

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:57:55 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2014, 06:15:47 PM by Simcom

I spent a fair amount of time thinking about the discussion with dime, humanitee, luigi1111, camosoul and others yesterday about the anonymity of Darksend.  I suspected that the logic behind darksend as currently implemented was not sound, and I thought it would be best to determine how exactly darksend was working, and do an in-depth analysis of a mixing cycle and the transactions that follow mixing.

This analysis appears to have confirmed my suspicions.  There is a flaw in darksend as currently implemented that removes virtually all anonymity from the mixing.  Luckily there are many steps that can be taken to remedy this, as I describe at the end of the post.

Let me start by describing how darksend is currently implemented, I did all of my testing on RC1, so any changes made in RC2 will not be reflected in this analysis:

Let’s pretend A,B,C etc. are addresses.
John wants to darksend 2 coins from address A to D
Fred wants to darksend 3 coins from address B to E
Bob wants to darksend 4 coins from address C to F

The masternode inputs are:
10 coins from A
10 coins from B
10 coins from C

The masternode outputs are:

2 coins to D + 8 coins to X
3 coins to E + 7 coins to Y
4 coins to F + 6 coins to Z

X,Y, and Z are “change” addresses, these are the addresses that are used to send back coins to A,B,C – instead of sending them back to the same address they are sent to a different “proxy” address in the same wallet.

As you can see, it is obvious which change address pairs to which darksend recipient address.
2+8 = 10, 3+7 = 10, etc.

But it appears (at this point at least) to be impossible to determine if someone is sending 2 coins to D and receiving 8 back in change or vice versa (sending 8 and recieving 2 back).  Later I will show you how this can be determined by analyzing the blockchain.

If we are given only this much info the transactions remain anonymous, as there are still 3 possibilities for each darksend:

A sent D&X, or E&Y, or F&Z
B sent D&X, or E&Y, or F&Z
C sent D&X, or E&Y, or F&Z

Now here is where the problem arises:

Let's pretend John has 500 coins at address A, he darksends 2 coins to address D, his wallet is deducted 10 coins.  The masternode sends John his “change”, 8 coins, which he receives at new address X. At the end of the darksend transaction everything is fine and dandy.  Johns has 490 coins at address A, and 8 coins at address X there is no way to link address A and X so he is safe, he might even have other addresses in his wallet that contain coins.

So far, so good.  BUT, John decides to buy something shiny, it costs a lot of coins (550 coins to be exact). So he sends 550 coins to address G, when he does so his wallet looks at the available addresses in his wallet and sends out 650 coins to address G.  On the blockchain it looks like this:

Input
490 coins from address A
52 coins from address F
8 coins from address X

Output
550 coins to address G

So this is the problem with the logic behind darksend as it is currently implemented.  The transaction itself is fine, the problem lies in the fact that a "change" address is created “address X” which acts like a ticking time bomb, capable of exposing darksend transactions well after they were conducted.  The transaction above exposes address A (with 100% certainty) as the sender of 2 coins to address D above.

Now I’m going to walk through an example on the blockchain to show you how one can analyze the chain to unravel the darksend mixing. Here is what the mixing step looks like on the blockchain:

http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/tx.dws?249282.htm

And if we map out John’s transactions (just by looking at the blockchain with no other info)

A: http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/tx.dws?249273.htm
This is the initial step when darksend is initiated.  All of the coins (22) from the address XbaY4 are subdivided into three pieces and assigned a new address. Only the piece of size 11.889 will be carried through towards the mixing transaction, the other two pieces will sit dormant in the user’s wallet.

B: http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/tx.dws?249281.htm
In this step 11.889 coins are divided into three pieces, the piece of size 10 will enter the mixing reaction, the two smaller pieces (1.778 and 0.11) are returned to the users’ wallet with a new address.

C: http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/tx.dws?249282.htm
This is the mixing step that is performed by the masternode John’s 10 coins from address XvGuC are sent into the pool with two other 10 coin inputs. 2 coins are sent to the darksend receiving address (Xpahw), and 7.999 coins are sent back to john’s “change” address XvitP.  Up to this point everything is anonymous and working well, the problem though is that address XvitP will at as a “ticking time bomb”, potentially acting as the key to unlock John’s contribution to the mixing step at some point in the future if this address is ever used in another transaction.

D: http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/tx.dws?249706.htm
Here the ticking time bomb goes off.  John sends 19.997 coins to address XjE6N.  The wallet uses 5 different inputs from three different addresses.  XfsVr, XvGuC are both linked to the darksend address Xbay4, these are packaged together with the dirty “change” address XvitP, and sent to XjE6N.  Looking back at the green box C, we can see that this outs John's address  XbaY4 as the initial darksender of 2 coins to to destination address Xpahw.  This is the essence of the problem.

Ok, so how can we solve this problem?

Here are my suggestions, not a comprehensive list for sure, listed by order of importance (IMO).

A) Randomized Serial Mixing
Darksent coins (both change and non-change) must be mixed more than once.  Importantly, the number of mixing cycles CAN NOT be fixed, as this would allow someone to know when a given input is expected to be finished mixing.  This is not good, it would defeat the whole purpose of mixing multiple times.  I propose that the number of mixing cycles be a random number, generated by the client, roughly between about 5 and 20 cycles.   Alternatively, this number could be set as a user-defined variable in an advanced settings menu.

B) More uniform pools
Each decimal place get’s its own pool.  Period.  Long decimal transactions can be divided into multiple pools.

C) Boost pool size and increase the number of duplicate inputs
The masternodes (or potentially even normal nodes that volunteer) could monitor the darksend pools, and automatically darksend transactions into the pool that match darksend amounts currently being washed. 2 coins, or 8 coins, for example to help keep John anonymous.   Also, if the pool size is 10, the wallet should attempt to send from an address that is as close to 10 as possible. If an address of exactly 10 is used, this removes the risk of exposing oneself in a later transaction.

D) Divide up change addresses
Instead of just address X (or in John’s case XvitP), break it into 8 addresses, each holding 1 coin.  Combine this with randomized serial mixing – wash each address a random number of times to maximize anonymity.

E) Smart wallet distribution of coins
If the change is 8 coins, the wallet should try NOT to send all 8 coins at once in a transaction – it should break up these coins when sending later transactions as much as possible.

F) Random transaction fees
Pay the masternode a small fee, and also increase anonymity in the pool at the same time.  Only the masternode knows how much fee you’ve paid.  This would help anonymize the smaller pool sizes (.01 pools and below)

E) Let's Brainstorm
There are other solutions I’m sure..  If everything above is implemented the anonymity of darkcoin will be extremely high, but there might be other great solutions I didn't think of, this is where you and our talented devs come in. Throw out your best ideas to increase anonymity

It's also worth mentioning that I haven't sold any of my coins since discovering the flaw, the future of Darkcoin is still extremely bright.  Evan is an amazing dev that should be able to fix this issue in no time. Sorry for the long post (:  

Best,
Sim
xwortel

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:00:43 PM

Wow you did some really good research... awesome!
conf

Activity: 284

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:01:56 PM

This is a great idea.

This is something that Andreas Antonopoulos is always talking in his conferences. I think we must focus in real "third world" problems instead of western world merchants.

We must beat Western Union first, then other FIAT currencies

Agree

Another dump without much expression so far! Look at that order book on mintpal!

I have no doubt!

,╓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄╓                
            ╓▄█████████████████▄╖           
         ╓▄█████▀▀'▒,,,,,╠'▀▀█████▄,        
       ,▓███▀╜,▄▄███████████▄▄,╙▀████╖      
      ▄███▀ ▄█████▀▀"``╙"▀▀█████▄ ▀███▄     
     ▓███╜╓████▀ ,▄▄█████▄▄, ▀████,╙███▌    
    ▓███`╔███▀ ╓▓███▀▀▀▀▀████╖ ▀███@"███▌   
   ]███▌┌███▌ ▐███         ███▄ ▐███ ▐███,  
   ▐███ ▐███ .███           ███  ███▌ ███▌  
   ▐███ ▐███ '███           ███  ███▌ ███▌  
   ]███@╙███@ ▀██▌        ,▄██▌ ▐███ ▐███`  
    ▓███ ▐███▄ ╙██▀╩     9███╜ ╔███▀,███▌   
     ████,╙███▌               ▓███╜,████    
      ▀███▄ ▀╜                 ▀▀ ▄███▌     
       ╙████▄,                 ╓▄████╜      
         ╙█████▄▄╓,       ,╓▄▄█████▀        
            ▀▀█████████████████▀▀           
                '▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀'

CloakCoin |  Trustless Anonymous Cryptocurrency |  PoSA3
Forum | Bitcointalk | Twitter | Slack |  Facebook |  VK |  Reddit |  CloakTV |  Instagram |  IRC-Chat |  Faucet
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 05:04:18 PM

This is all normal. Traders are having their fun with the coin. You shouldn't worry short-term about the price.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:25:18 PM

Search for the discussion between Evan and AnonyMint earlier this month to not waste your time trying to reinvent the wheel.
eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:30:43 PM

I spent a fair amount of time thinking about the discussion with dime, humanitee, luigi1111, camosoul and others yesterday about the anonymity of Darksend.  I suspected that the logic behind darksend as currently implemented was not sound, and I thought it would be best to determine how exactly darksend was working, and do an in-depth analysis of a mixing cycle and the transactions that follow mixing.

I pointed this out in mid-March and never got a response. It needs to be addressed.

DarkSend question:

After a DarkSend, the change is sent back to a hidden change address to which I own the private key, but no one knows it's mine. But what if I later had to send an amount large enough that my wallet is forced to source it from multiple addresses including this change address? This could then reveal that the original sender address and the change address are connected. With the change amount known, the sent amount is also known and the recipient can be guessed more easily. Is this correct?
CryptoGuy

Activity: 524

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:32:45 PM

So if the masternodes are required to keep 1k DRK on them, why do any of sender A's coins even need to be used for the change? It would make more sense if it went something like this:

10 People send transactions which use the default 10 DRK. The master node parks the 100 coins and uses 100 of the 1000 DRK that are just sitting there with absolutely no tie to anyone's wallet addresses in the current block transactions. This way there will be a several block disconnect between you sending the coins and the coins actually getting to a recipient. If you try to analyze the block chain you'll see the coins go to a wallet, sit there for X number of blocks then it gets sent to another address. Neither the sender nor the receiver will receive the coins that they actually sent, but the same value of coins that other users have sent.

I hope that makes sense.

<Insert favorite coin here>
chompyZ

Activity: 291

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:34:10 PM

Thank you for the time you put into it. Awesome.
This is why I love this coin and community.

Now that I understand how it works, I hope i'll be able to go back and grasp some of Anonymint and Evan's chat.

Edit- if someone finds these messages between Evan and Anonymint, can you plz post the quotes in one post for easy reading/tracking/referring.
Simcom

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:39:29 PM

I pointed this out in mid-March and never got a response. It needs to be addressed.

DarkSend question:

After a DarkSend, the change is sent back to a hidden change address to which I own the private key, but no one knows it's mine. But what if I later had to send an amount large enough that my wallet is forced to source it from multiple addresses including this change address? This could then reveal that the original sender address and the change address are connected. With the change amount known, the sent amount is also known and the recipient can be guessed more easily. Is this correct?

Yep, that is the exact scenario, I must have missed your post earlier. I am kinda late to the party here and have missed a lot of the early discussion.  Hopefully we will get a response from Evan on this issue.
eizh

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:45:31 PM

Yep, that is the exact scenario, I must have missed your post earlier. I am kinda late to the party here and have missed a lot of the early discussion.  Hopefully we will get a response from Evan on this issue.

My question didn't result in any further discussion or a response from the dev so I'm glad you pointed it out with a bigger post. This time we should get an answer.
blajde

Activity: 364

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:48:24 PM

E) Let's Brainstorm
There are other solutions I’m sure..  If everything above is implemented the anonymity of darkcoin will be extremely high, but there might be other great solutions I didn't think of, this is where you and our talented devs come in. Throw out your best ideas to increase anonymity

It's also worth mentioning that I haven't sold any of my coins since discovering the flaw, the future of Darkcoin is still extremely bright.  Evan is an amazing dev that should be able to fix this issue in no time. Sorry for the long post (:  

Best,
Sim

Wouldn't the best solution be that the change payment to be randomized in amount and time, leading to multiple change sends and in different amounts. This would look like a bucket where you can increase the users and randomly select (with some priority protocol parameters). Like 10 people in a bucket? If the bucket even has internal addresses to do the same thing stated above for even more shading?
Simcom

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 06:02:13 PM

E) Let's Brainstorm

Best,
Sim

Wouldn't the best solution be that the change payment to be randomized in amount and time, leading to multiple change sends and in different amounts. This would look like a bucket where you can increase the users and randomly select (with some priority protocol parameters). Like 10 people in a bucket? If the bucket even has internal addresses to do the same thing stated above for even more shading?

I don't think randomizing the amount would help because the numbers will still add up to one of the change addresses.  

Ie
1+1+1+1 = 4
1.2+1.5+.3+1 = 4

So in either scenario if the dirty change addresses are spent at the same time with one of the other addresses linked to the darksend transaction it would be possible to do the same analysis.

I do think randomizing the amount of time that the coins spend in repeated washing cycles will help solve the issue, see A) , but alone A) will only help - it needs to be combined with some of the other ideas to really fix the problem.  Really C) is super important.  There need to be other 8's and 2's in the pool to mathematically hide John's address.
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 06:11:03 PM

There was a bunch of questions on the development around here +/- about 5 pages

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg6025211#msg6025211
blajde

Activity: 364

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 06:22:14 PM

E) Let's Brainstorm

Best,
Sim

I don't think randomizing the amount would help because the numbers will still add up to one of the change addresses.  

Ie
1+1+1+1 = 4
1.2+1.5+.3+1 = 4

So in either scenario if the dirty change addresses are spent at the same time with one of the other addresses linked to the darksend transaction it would be possible to do the same analysis.

I do think randomizing the amount of time that the coins spend in repeated washing cycles will help solve the issue, see A) , but alone A) will only help - it needs to be combined with some of the other ideas to really fix the problem.  Really C) is super important.  There need to be other 8's and 2's in the pool to mathematically hide John's address.

Well all you need to do is to sever the link. Different timing will solve that? And if it is in a waiting list and sent internally between mixer addresses before sending back prioritized?

What happends if there's two inputs from one user and how would the change back look like then?
freeworm

Activity: 297

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 06:24:49 PM

Darkcoin has been added to Bter.com 's BTC market

Deposit at

https://bter.com/myaccount/deposit/DRK

and Trade at

https://bter.com/trade/drk_btc

eltito

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 06:25:06 PM

E) Let's Brainstorm

Best,
Sim

Ie
1+1+1+1 = 4
1.2+1.5+.3+1 = 4

Couldn't you just clean XYZ wallets by sending yourself dummy transactions between legit ones (or having the client automate it)?  Anonymint talked about this I believe.  The more you send yourself the better.  Also wasn't there talk of having some sort of injection nodes churning out constant dummy transactions?
eizh

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 06:25:57 PM

Darkcoin has been added to Bter.com 's BTC market

Deposit at

https://bter.com/myaccount/deposit/DRK

and Trade at

https://bter.com/trade/drk_btc

About time. BTC38, are you watching?
Pages: « 1 ... 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 [853] 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: