Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:24:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722525 times)
visual111

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:12:11 PM

I downloaded the wallet and can't get any active connections. What's the config I should be using? 0.10.7.3 wallet

Could someone point me in a direction? This happened with peercoin and I just added some nodes to fix it. With this wallet though the only file I get is the -qt
Do wallets for other coins currently work fine on the same box? What OS? Firewall issue?

Yeah 2 other wallets have synced today

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

INTRODUCING WAVES
ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
videos4pictures

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:15:56 PM

ok FINALLY! someone who isn't just pushing crap around like a dung beetle. this is what i want to talk about!

So as far as i know, there's still money laundering which happens with both the USD and Bitcoin, but since they're both traceable (serial numbers on bank notes, and the blockchain on bitcoin). The argument has been made that as long as there's fiat dollar bills in circulation, you can't fully clamp down on things like crypto, as dollar bills are just as easy to move around. ok, everyone still with me?

I've also read that a bitcoin transaction can ultimately be traced. That some people at gawker bought weed from the silkroad publically, and asked if anyone could trace it. it was hard, but they found someone smart at a university who could ultimately trace the transaction back to them. This is the crux of my argument, if say the government wants to trace something badly enough, then they can using the blockchain, if large amounts of fiat turn into crypto, then there's a record of that transaction, it can ultimately be traced back.

With darksend, if i'm not mistaken, this ability to ultimately be traced back gets extinguished. much to the joy of annonymous supporters, and much to the dismay of law enforcement officials.

I'm not saying that every bitcoin transaction is traceable, infact it looks like you have to expend a fair amount of energy and resources to actually do a proper trace on funds moving around with crypto, but it is *mostly* possible. i can't help but think that this is what is keeping a high value on crypto at the moment.  and that if this suddenly vanished, and you COULDN'T move fiat into crypto as easily, nowhere as easily at all, then it would not cause the price to "explode" cause you could never do anything with it. value comes largely out of market cap which is tied to liquidity. am i wrong?

also, as a side note. i asked in here clear as day what the best alternative to DRK was which used X11. I had read about HIRO in another thread, which made me come here. Everyone knows that DRK is the x11 originator, obviously i'd come to the source, to the originator of the algorithm for clues as to a master list of other coins using the same algorithm. I have not seen a full list of all available X11 currencies yet, so far the only thing anyone has told me in here is to look at HIRO. All i want is X11, and maybe DGW, that's it. If anyone can post a link to all the available X11 currencies i'd be very happy to read it, as i have 7MH which is sitting around because my building hasn't turned the AC on yet, and i'm tired of walking around butt nekkid xD

i'm honestly baffled at why you would want a list of copycoins that will likely cost you money in the long-term, and equally baffled at the fact that you think darksend somehow makes darkcoin more illegal than cash. darkcoin is just e-cash. there's nothing more to it.

do your thing, tho
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:16:00 PM

RE: all replying to me:

I never said that it would be de-listed from all places, obviously you can never fully kill crypto, that's what makes it great. what i was saying is that it could very well be de-listed from ALL MAJOR EXCHANGES. which won't kill the coin, but it will greatly affect it's value.

The reason i think that there's a strong chance for it to be de-listed is for the same reason that you all think is so amazing, darksend. darksend is a direct threat to many establishments in the world. setting aside my own beliefs as to weather this is a good thing or not, the trader in me is seeing the big picture. and in that big picture i simply do not see all of the different organizations worldwide which try to stem the corruption of money laundering to simply turn a blind eye to darksend, if it proves successful.

I think that it's simply hippy naivite which keeps people chanting that darksend is so amazing, without the perception that there will be large forces at work who would not want to see something like darksend succeed. and as much as i've like to see crypto take over the world, trust me darksend will "stir the pot" one hell of a lot more than i am here on this thread simply trying to talk rationally.

DRK is great for X11, and DGW. there is a large possibility that darksend could be detrimental.

you don't have to agree with me, but try to understand the point i'm making.

If you look here, I have covered the position under 'regulations'

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=579976.msg6335710#msg6335710

The US has already given an early indication on anonymous crypto. Their initial indicators are that moving around crypto is ok, moving between crypto and fiat is going to be regulated like any other money transmission. That is where you get ID checked.

So the degree of anonymity is a matter for the individual, just like cash. If you want to use an exchange to interact with fiat, you have to give them ID, but the block chain doesn't get to know who you are. If you don't want to give them ID, that's a matter for you and any private arrangements you make to get access to fiat, just like regular cash.

I've done the homework for you, you just have to read it.

ok FINALLY! someone who isn't just pushing crap around like a dung beetle. this is what i want to talk about!

So as far as i know, there's still money laundering which happens with both the USD and Bitcoin, but since they're both traceable (serial numbers on bank notes, and the blockchain on bitcoin). The argument has been made that as long as there's fiat dollar bills in circulation, you can't fully clamp down on things like crypto, as dollar bills are just as easy to move around. ok, everyone still with me?

I've also read that a bitcoin transaction can ultimately be traced. That some people at gawker bought weed from the silkroad publically, and asked if anyone could trace it. it was hard, but they found someone smart at a university who could ultimately trace the transaction back to them. This is the crux of my argument, if say the government wants to trace something badly enough, then they can using the blockchain, if large amounts of fiat turn into crypto, then there's a record of that transaction, it can ultimately be traced back.

With darksend, if i'm not mistaken, this ability to ultimately be traced back gets extinguished. much to the joy of annonymous supporters, and much to the dismay of law enforcement officials.

I'm not saying that every bitcoin transaction is traceable, infact it looks like you have to expend a fair amount of energy and resources to actually do a proper trace on funds moving around with crypto, but it is *mostly* possible. i can't help but think that this is what is keeping a high value on crypto at the moment.  and that if this suddenly vanished, and you COULDN'T move fiat into crypto as easily, nowhere as easily at all, then it would not cause the price to "explode" cause you could never do anything with it. value comes largely out of market cap which is tied to liquidity. am i wrong?

also, as a side note. i asked in here clear as day what the best alternative to DRK was which used X11. I had read about HIRO in another thread, which made me come here. Everyone knows that DRK is the x11 originator, obviously i'd come to the source, to the originator of the algorithm for clues as to a master list of other coins using the same algorithm. I have not seen a full list of all available X11 currencies yet, so far the only thing anyone has told me in here is to look at HIRO. All i want is X11, and maybe DGW, that's it. If anyone can post a link to all the available X11 currencies i'd be very happy to read it, as i have 7MH which is sitting around because my building hasn't turned the AC on yet, and i'm tired of walking around butt nekkid xD

Maybe you should actual click coins101's link because what you are asking is there...
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:18:00 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 10:49:30 PM by toknormal

I find these discussions about anonymous vs transparent blockchains a bit superfluous.

Authorities aren't going to give 2 flying sods whether a particular blockchain is anonymous or not. They're not going to "love one and ban another". As soon as one is untraceable they all will be as far as regulations are concerned. There are going to be millions of "cryptos" out there in a few years of every conceivable singing and dancing technical description.

Anonymity is important in any financial system to protect commercial interests and competitiveness. Nothing to do with criminality. How would everybody feel if all their bank statements were available down at the public library ? Or if I was a clothing retailer and could check up on all my competitors cash sales movements ?

But threat to the mainstream financial system is nothing to do with transaction anonymity (although that does make it commercially attractive). It's the fact that cryptocurrencies are unlevered BASE MONEY.

Base money has been kept out of the hands of the public since the days of before the Federal Reserve, because the general public having access to base money of any type or value basically amounts a run on the banking system. Base money is a definition. It doesn't imply value - the market gives it value - it implies that it's the end of the line in a chain of trust managed by counter parties (in this case, central and commercial banks).

The anonymity thing is a total distraction as far as regulations go. If cryptocurrencies ever gain a substantial foothold in the mainstream economy they will melt the debt based banking sector like lava to a waxwork. It's just simple arithmetic because of the massive leverage that has built up over base money during the last 50 years. Why do you think the Chinese are so desperately trying to plug the holes in their system ? They've not been able to touch cryptos - they have had to do it by regulating fiat. But if people actually start using cryptos for goods and services then they're screwed because you can't stop them passing strings of letters and numbers around or block every single Port 8333 on every PC in the world.

Regulators are basically clueless about cryptocurrencies and will probably never have a chance to catch up with them before it's too late. You only have to watch those videos on the New York hearing to see that.

The idea that they "like" cryptos because the blockchain's transparent is ridiculous. All you have to do to launder money is to pass it through an exchange and maybe through another crypto and back.

Darkcoin is getting valuable because it has the ONE thing that cryptos are missing which the fiat system does have - commercial privacy. That's why it's out-growing everything and IMO will probably end up as the first alt ever to rival Bitcoin's valuation. I know thare's other stuff out there that can do the technology - it doesn't matter. What matters is which one the market picks and that's where DRK now has a home straight in sight.
janos666

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:18:30 PM

the trader in me is seeing the big picture. and in that big picture i simply do not see all of the different organizations worldwide which try to stem the corruption of money laundering to simply turn a blind eye to darksend, if it proves successful.

I had a very different fear and it is yet to be revealed by the market if I was right but it will be obvious relatively soon.
I have never thought DarkSend could do more harm than good.

---

Haha. I just noticed the date of the masternode payment fork is my birthday. Cheesy
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:26:00 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 10:48:07 PM by BCwinning

Is the RC2 windows-qt messed up for anyone else?  Refuses to sync.
I've tried and cant get it to synch myself.  From reading some comments from different threads on here; Attempted some command line args, created a conf file which I never had to for other wallets. *shrug*
Using version 0.9.0.0-unk-beta *scratch head* 1st wallet to not work.
edit to add ports are open
edit to add it is now synching; used addnode in the console and added several nodes which seemed to kickstart it.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
WaffleMaster

Activity: 966
Merit: 546

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:27:42 PM

Wallet is still ballsed up  Shocked
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:31:16 PM

Did you seriously believe that djslick didn't know about the other coins using X11 ? And that old debate about the cons of anonymity... Smell like trolling. (For what X11 coin ?)  Roll Eyes
djslick
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 10:31:27 PM

I find these discussions about anonymous vs transparent blockchains a bit superfluous.

Authorities aren't going to give 2 flying sods whether a particular blockchain is anonymous or not. They're not going to "love one and ban another". As soon as one is untraceable they all will be as far as regulations are concerned. There are going to be millions of "cryptos" out there in a few years of every conceivable singing and dancing technical description.

Anonymity is important in any financial system to protect commercial interests and competitiveness. Nothing to do with criminality. How would everybody feel if all their bank statements were available down at the public library ? Or if I was a clothing retailer and could check up on all my competitors cash sales movements ?

But threat to the mainstream financial system is nothing to do with transaction anonymity (although that does make it commercially attractive). It's the fact that cryptocurrencies are unlevered BASE MONEY.

Base money has been kept out of the hands of the public since the days of before the Federal Reserve, because the general public having access to base money of any type or value basically amounts a run on the banking system. Base money is a definition. It doesn't imply value - the market gives it value - it implies that it's the end of the line in a chain of trust managed by counter parties (in this case, central and commercial banks).

The anonymity thing is a total distraction as far as regulations go. If cryptocurrencies ever gain a substantial foothold in the mainstream economy they will melt the debt based banking sector like lava to a waxwork. It's just simple arithmetic because of the massive leverage that has built up over base money during the last 50 years. Why do you think the Chinese are so desperately trying to plug the holes in their system. They've not been able to touch cryptos - they have had to do it by regulating fiat. But if people actually start using cryptos for goods and services then they're screwed because you can't stop them passing strings of letters and numbers around or block every single Port 8333 on every PC in the world.

Regulators are basically clueless about cryptocurrencies and will probably never have a chance to catch up with them before it's too late. You only have to watch those videos on the New York hearing to see that.

The idea that they "like" cryptos because the blockchain's transparent is ridiculous. All you have to do to launder money is to pass it through an exchange and maybe through another crypto and back.

Darkcoin is getting valuable because it has the ONE thing that cryptos are missing which the fiat system does have - commercial privacy. That's why it's out-growing everything and IMO will probably end up as the first alt ever to rival Bitcoin's valuation. I know thare's other stuff out there that can do the technology - it doesn't matter. What matters is which one the market picks and that's where DRK now has a home straight in sight.

good read, and i see where you're coming from. I do believe in commercial privacy, but equating a non darksend crypto currency to "having my bank records available at the public library" is a tad hyperbolic.

and yes, the hearing was fucking looney tunes, and it's easy to see how ignorant many people are, alot of whom are in political power as to the true relevance of crypto in today's world. however just because they're big slow and dumb, doesn't mean that they aren't beginning to take an interest, that they aren't beginning the long road to understanding, and at the end, revelation as to the true significance, and in my mind, the true threat of things like %100 anonymous currencies.

china clamping down on bitcoin didn't kill it, but it did hurt it's value. DRK has the same potential to piss off other organizations worldwide, we'd have to be living in a dream world to believe otherwise. weather things like DRK become triumphant or not is for the fates to decide, but to think that it's a slam dunk one way or another is delusional. there's people on both sides that will want to see this either succeed or fail.

*edit and i still haven't seen a list of the other X11 currencies, anyone care to share? I mean i assume that you're all invested in DRK for posting here, so you probably don't want anyone to mention any other alt as a potential competitor. there is no competitor to DRK, you're the only one doing everything that you're doing. stop being so melodramatic. i just want to know of other X11 coins that i might not totally miss the train on Smiley

*** STUMP THE TRUMP *** SPURN THE BERN *** VOTE BILLARY! ***
-= www.Billary.rocks | https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1439754 =-
visual111

Activity: 493

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:35:38 PM

The anonymity thing is a total distraction as far as regulations go. If cryptocurrencies ever gain a substantial foothold in the mainstream economy they will melt the debt based banking sector like lava to a waxwork. It's just simple arithmetic because of the massive leverage that has built up over base money during the last 50 years. Why do you think the Chinese are so desperately trying to plug the holes in their system. They've not been able to touch cryptos - they have had to do it by regulating fiat. But if people actually start using cryptos for goods and services then they're screwed because you can't stop them passing strings of letters and numbers around or block every single Port 8333 on every PC in the world.

Thanks, I got a lot out of this post

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

INTRODUCING WAVES
ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM

oblox
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:39:14 PM

*edit and i still haven't seen a list of the other X11 currencies, anyone care to share? I mean i assume that you're all invested in DRK for posting here, so you probably don't want anyone to mention any other alt as a potential competitor. there is no competitor to DRK, you're the only one doing everything that you're doing. stop being so melodramatic. i just want to know of other X11 coins that i might not totally miss the train on Smiley

Do you even bother to read? This has been answered already. Always amuses me when people that have no interest in a coin continue to troll the threads.
djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 10:40:51 PM

Do you even bother to read? This has been answered already. Always amuses me when people that have no interest in a coin continue to troll the threads.

what post? did i miss it? one guy said hiro, then everyone yelled at me for a few pages, that's all i read lol

oblox
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:41:28 PM

what post? did i miss it? one guy said hiro, then everyone yelled at me for a few pages, that's all i read lol

Your list is in coin's link he provided...
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:44:30 PM

china clamping down on bitcoin didn't kill it, but it did hurt it's value. DRK has the same potential to piss off other organizations worldwide, we'd have to be living in a dream world to believe otherwise. weather things like DRK become triumphant or not is for the fates to decide, but to think that it's a slam dunk one way or another is delusional. there's people on both sides that will want to see this either succeed or fail.

Totally agree. Except the people that it "pisses off" won't see it as "Darkcoin" is bad. They probably won't even know it's name because it's all the same thing to most people. Anonymous blockchain technology is just another bit of progress in this whole landscape. It's not going to "piss anyone off" more than anything else because it isn't any more of a threat than any other aspect of cryptos - the whole damn shooting match is one big bulldozer if and when it gets mainstream.
blajde

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:45:54 PM

good read, and i see where you're coming from. I do believe in commercial privacy, but equating a non darksend crypto currency to "having my bank records available at the public library" is a tad hyperbolic.

and yes, the hearing was fucking looney tunes, and it's easy to see how ignorant many people are, alot of whom are in political power as to the true relevance of crypto in today's world. however just because they're big slow and dumb, doesn't mean that they aren't beginning to take an interest, that they aren't beginning the long road to understanding, and at the end, revelation as to the true significance, and in my mind, the true threat of things like %100 anonymous currencies.

give me one transaction you have made with bitcoin and I will have a copy of your ID-card in 40 min tops.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:50:38 PM

China didn't clamp down on anything, some rumours were started so that idiots would panic and the rumourmongers could buy shitloads of BTC on the cheap. Nobody can effectively clamp down on any cryptocurrency any more than they can bittorrent.

Click this and actually read it this time:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=579976.0
Most of those other X11 trains are going exactly nowhere fast, but enjoy the ride.
P2PHash

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:55:48 PM

Updated to the new wallet! Now with Cryptsy price displayed Smiley
Address: drk.p2phash.com

P2Pool benefits:

* No registration required
* Distributed hashrate
* Immediate payouts after a block is found
* Higher payouts with transaction fees paid to miners
* No account hack possible

Fee: only 0.5%
Start mining within seconds! Just point your miner to p2phash.com:7903 and use the Darkcoin address from your wallet for username, the password doesn't matter.

You can now follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/P2PHash
djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 10:56:10 PM

Totally agree. Except the people that it "pisses off" won't see it as "Darkcoin" is bad. They probably won't even know it's name because it's all the same thing to most people. Anonymous blockchain technology is just another bit of progress in this whole landscape. It's not going to "piss anyone off" more than anything else because it isn't any more of a threat than any other aspect of cryptos - the whole damn shooting match is one big bulldozer if and when it gets mainstream.

Well, i'm not sure that the mainstream is the would-be rallying force behind the disruption of anonymous currencies. The mainstream hasn't even really discovered bitcoin yet, let alone the existence of an altcoin. The mainstream will help push for the adoption of such things, once they are savvy to them...

it's the privileged few who watch the development of this scene from on high, the ones with real power to influence crypto's course which i'm worried about. you know, scary men in black suits and sunglesses etc =p these people:

http://www.techspot.com/news/56643-us-government-to-study-bitcoin-as-possible-terrorist-threat.html

this is the threat to crypto as a whole, but especially alts which make a big stink about the characteristics which government officials don't like. it's just prodding goliath with a stick.

fernando

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:58:56 PM

Quite late where I'm now and quite tired, so I'll just write a couple quick thoughts that came to my mind when reading your posts:

1. You keep saying that cash has serial numbers, but they don't get associated in every transaction they are used in. If they were so useful to trace back, cash would not be the number one illegal activities payment method.

2. Every day that passes the chance to regulate cryptos is further away for politicians.

3. Even if mayor exchanges delisted DRK (extremely unlikely in my opinion) there are so many ways to get it that I don't believe it would harm. As others have pointed, it could even be beneficial for the publicity. So many exchanges, so many cryptos... no way they can stop someone that wants to get DRK.

4. Money laundering was invented long before cryptos. There are many tools that can be used and cryptos is just one of them. As toknormal said, the value in Darksend is commercial privacy embedded in the coin without the need to do weird things to get it. A couple of weeks ago there was an article in The Economist that explained how trade is increasingly being used to launder money (http://www.economist.com/news/international/21601537-trade-weakest-link-fight-against-dirty-money-uncontained). It may account up to 15-20% of Mexican exports to the US, so are you also worried about the US closing the border to trade?
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:05:20 PM

this is the threat to crypto as a whole, but especially alts which make a big stink about the characteristics which government officials don't like. it's just prodding goliath with a stick.

Yes indeed. Except - as I said - the 'stick' is not anonymous transactions.

They are irrelevant in this regard.

Rather, it's the monetary nature of cryptocurrencies themselves. So if you're arguing for a policy of appeasement then you'd better forget cryptos altogether cos there 'aint none that goliath isn't going to feel'  Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: