Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:42:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 ... 216 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [888] [SCRYPT] OctoCoin ◦ The Power of Eight ◦ Don't Blink  (Read 297647 times)
cryptoxx

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:31:09 PM

The devs do NOT care about this community. They're making that clear. And that's f-ing ridiculous considering how much better this one is than so many other crap coins.
shellbunner

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:39:56 PM

I might not be very smart, but I'm gonna keep buying. I'm all in baby!!! Maybe the devs will show up, or maybe not.  Cheesy
joshycoin

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:54:38 PM

Less that 100 votes away from Dougcoin (whatever the hell that is) on MintPal, KEEP VOTING!!!

GWCalvert

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 08:18:41 PM

I might not be very smart, but I'm gonna keep buying. I'm all in baby!!! Maybe the devs will show up, or maybe not.  Cheesy

I'm still buying, and holding, as well.

There are a few things that we should remember before laying all of the blame at the developer's feet:

1. They have investors who are probably making demands on them to show them something for their investment. When you are operating a start-up (which this is), your first priority has to be your investors, especially if you are planning to ask for more money for other projects down the road.

2. The devs have said in previous posts that the all have full-time jobs outside of OctoCoin. Taking care of your IRL job will, at times, take away from the time you have planned to put towards a project.

3. The devs have also hinted that some of their ideas require a big time exchange (I believe they said MintPal was the preferred exchange) to be implemented, and they would not be releasing them until OctoCoin was listed there.

4. Most other coin communities have people, within that community, developing projects for that coin and not waiting on the developer's to come through with their plans. Edric and thenotfatguy are doing some things, but I do not see a lot of activity from others. If we all started doing little projects to promote the coin, instead of belly-aching about the devs being slow getting their things done, this coin would grow.
Here are a few ideas:

A video or meme contest featuring OctoCoin.

An OctoCoin bank that loans BTC on Octo deposits.

An online RPG that accepts Octos for buying upgrades or "game gold".

A Wordpress Plugin for retailers wanting to accept OctoCoin. (I really think this one would be a big help)

The possibilities are endless. What are your ideas?

888: 8TSFGEFRSXc7fjWt9RPQF1iGUe7T3J2GL1  Emerald Crypto Thread
frameLAlife

Activity: 378

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 08:22:09 PM

The devs do NOT care about this community. They're making that clear. And that's f-ing ridiculous considering how much better this one is than so many other crap coins.

lol well that's taking it a bit far. the devs do care about this coin and the community. we don't know what they are up against. i think it sux that we still don't have the wallet update and the fork on time. but hey, maybe they saw something that needed to be worked on and changed. you don't want a fork to go bad. that's bad news for EVERYBODY.

besides... we've waited this long....

www.ptcrypto.com YOUR Bitcoin consultants!
BTC 13TQitBTzADXpYsDMRjDqFuGaw8m1JZ2YE
frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 08:22:57 PM

Less that 100 votes away from Dougcoin (whatever the hell that is) on MintPal, KEEP VOTING!!!

WORD!

Stonerboy

Activity: 344

ALL IN!

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:26:59 PM

As long as there are no businesses or projects etc. Octo would also be just one of those crapcoins.

In the moment they just hold back everything. They don't want to have this coin on an big exchange in the moment (like they stopped the cryptsy voting etc., but why had an investor of them talked to cryptsy about adding this coin bypassing the votingsystem?).
They use no Twitter, they use no facebook. -> They want to get more time.

Maybe there are some Investors that want to have a big part of the coins (logical) and they collect and collect.
Maybe they finish most of their projects first, so there will be a steady flow of new softwares etc.

I'm still sure this coin will be big.

If my rig wasn't dead in the moment i would keep on collecting!

Wink
cryptoxx

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:29:06 PM

@GWCalvert: I hear what you're saying, but IMO it's unfair to expect us to give, when the dev won't give us the simplest thing - either the wallet update as promised (based on the timeline THEY supplied) or an explanation why it hasn't been released. And it's crap that they're PMing some people in this thread but not posting generally.

@frameLAlife: yeah don't want code out before it's ready - but why no communication?
frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 08:34:52 PM

There are a few things that we should remember before laying all of the blame at the developer's feet:

1. They have investors who are probably making demands on them to show them something for their investment. When you are operating a start-up (which this is), your first priority has to be your investors, especially if you are planning to ask for more money for other projects down the road.

2. The devs have said in previous posts that the all have full-time jobs outside of OctoCoin. Taking care of your IRL job will, at times, take away from the time you have planned to put towards a project.

3. The devs have also hinted that some of their ideas require a big time exchange (I believe they said MintPal was the preferred exchange) to be implemented, and they would not be releasing them until OctoCoin was listed there.

4. Most other coin communities have people, within that community, developing projects for that coin and not waiting on the developer's to come through with their plans. Edric and thenotfatguy are doing some things, but I do not see a lot of activity from others. If we all started doing little projects to promote the coin, instead of belly-aching about the devs being slow getting their things done, this coin would grow.
Here are a few ideas:

A Wordpress Plugin for retailers wanting to accept OctoCoin. (I really think this one would be a big help)

That's a very good point. But I think the hardest part about doing some of those things is you are risking putting a lot of time and effort into a coin who's history is shaky at best. I mean I still have faith that the devs will get this all figured out and Octo will do big things but that doesn't mean i'm going to put too much effort into other things. I already invest a lot of time here, on Reddit, buying Octo, mining Octo, etc.

Now, I think you are correct and that the devs probably work full time, have families, etc. You cannot fault them because RL comes first. If a few of us disappear from here for a few days it means nothing really. But when you have an announcement about a fork and a new wallet and disappear it promotes uncertainty....

For those of us that have been around since March 8th, honestly, I'm used to it and it doesn't freak me out. But, then again, I don't have any issues with the wallet and transactions like some of the community do.

I'm simply waiting for them to show up and fix it and they will.

The other issue with the community doing stuff is it's kinda hard to do something like a video about Octo when you don't have to many ideas of what applications they are making and a date they may be released. You'd be making a video with information that they already have from the website and this thread.

I will say that thefatguy has done a great job with the weekly news updates on Reddit.

I will also say that Joshycoin and I are roommates and we both buy/mine Octo. We are starting a bitcoin/crypto consulting and training business soon. We have started on the website and we will have a featured  coins section and Octo will be the one featured coin that is a mainstay on our website that we will try to refer our customers to buy.

But at this point we don't have anything to put on the website to promote the coin other than what we pulled from page 1 on here and from the website. See what I mean? You can't tell a customer, "oh buy Octo because the devs said they are going to create business apps in the cloud and launch them when we hit a larger exchange platform." You have to have what the applications are, what they will do, why that is good and will affect the price of the coin positively and at least a potential launch date (even if it's not a hard date).

I could go on. I'm excited about Octo. I have enjoyed my time talking to people here and will continue to stay and do so. I'll continue to mine and buy.

GWCalvert

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 08:46:26 PM

All I am saying is that we can do things on our own. We do not have to rely on the devs for the applications/websites for this coin. Community driven effort is what has made BitCoin, LiteCoin, and DogeCoin successful, not what their developers did.

Anything that the devs come up with will be added perks to increase the use and demand for OctoCoin, if the community creates a need for Octos.

And yes... the wallet update would be nice.  Wink

cryptoxx

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:56:16 PM

All I am saying is that we can do things on our own. We do not have to rely on the devs for the applications/websites for this coin. Community driven effort is what has made BitCoin, LiteCoin, and DogeCoin successful, not what their developers did.

Anything that the devs come up with will be added perks to increase the use and demand for OctoCoin, if the community creates a need for Octos.

I'm just pissed off it's come to this. The devs promised so much and have delivered so little.

But I hear ya. That's true about those other coins. Maybe will be true here.
frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 09:03:25 PM

I'm just pissed off it's come to this. The devs promised so much and have delivered so little.

But I hear ya. That's true about those other coins. Maybe will be true here.

I would think so. I mean it feels like forever but if you look at the launch date of March 8, it really hasn't been that long. That's only just over 2 months.

The current amount of Octo in circulation is 19,534,239. That's nothing for a coin that's almost a cap of 89 million. According to their web page the whole bonus block system would mint 31 million in the first 6 months. We are only 2/3 of the way there. The 888/soon to be 188 blocks will be gone soon and then it will be 88. Then before you know it 6 months in it will be only 80 per block.

I think that we are on the front end of a good coin. This is the time to get as much Octo as you can for as cheap as you can and when the devs get their shit going, it will all work out in the end.

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 09:04:18 PM

Here are a few ideas:

That's a very good point. But I think the hardest part about doing some of those things is you are risking putting a lot of time and effort into a coin who's history is shaky at best. I mean I still have faith that the devs will get this all figured out and Octo will do big things but that doesn't mean i'm going to put too much effort into other things. I already invest a lot of time here, on Reddit, buying Octo, mining Octo, etc.

Now, I think you are correct and that the devs probably work full time, have families, etc. You cannot fault them because RL comes first. If a few of us disappear from here for a few days it means nothing really. But when you have an announcement about a fork and a new wallet and disappear it promotes uncertainty....

For those of us that have been around since March 8th, honestly, I'm used to it and it doesn't freak me out. But, then again, I don't have any issues with the wallet and transactions like some of the community do.

I'm simply waiting for them to show up and fix it and they will.

The other issue with the community doing stuff is it's kinda hard to do something like a video about Octo when you don't have to many ideas of what applications they are making and a date they may be released. You'd be making a video with information that they already have from the website and this thread.

I will say that thefatguy has done a great job with the weekly news updates on Reddit.

I will also say that Joshycoin and I are roommates and we both buy/mine Octo. We are starting a bitcoin/crypto consulting and training business soon. We have started on the website and we will have a featured  coins section and Octo will be the one featured coin that is a mainstay on our website that we will try to refer our customers to buy.

But at this point we don't have anything to put on the website to promote the coin other than what we pulled from page 1 on here and from the website. See what I mean? You can't tell a customer, "oh buy Octo because the devs said they are going to create business apps in the cloud and launch them when we hit a larger exchange platform." You have to have what the applications are, what they will do, why that is good and will affect the price of the coin positively and at least a potential launch date (even if it's not a hard date).

I could go on. I'm excited about Octo. I have enjoyed my time talking to people here and will continue to stay and do so. I'll continue to mine and buy.
+188 Wink
technically it's still 888.... you can pull that +188 when the devs show back up Smiley

thenotfatguy

Activity: 96

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:04:49 PM

While I want to agree with this statement. The devs need to set a foundation and kick things into gear before the community can develop its own projects, services, etc.

I would have to be a ballsy mother with no fear of losing thousands of fiat to be able to open a business that runs on Octo, It is just not a reality at this point, seeing as we have no real volume that could come close to replicating a stable payment processor, a small community meaning no real "market", and no real credibility behind Octo as of yet.

As with everything cryptocurrency related - it is a gamble. However, making informed decisions is key to success.

Nobody is making you mine or buy OctoCoin, therefore there is no need to spread FUD without actual proof of anything.

@Edric

You still enjoy pizza, or has making it on a daily basis diminished your love for it? Cheesy

888 - 8bse7MESKBNGz9BixUCo5Z1cKJKVV5tZC7
frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 09:17:42 PM

@GWCalvert: I hear what you're saying, but IMO it's unfair to expect us to give, when the dev won't give us the simplest thing - either the wallet update as promised (based on the timeline THEY supplied) or an explanation why it hasn't been released. And it's crap that they're PMing some people in this thread but not posting generally.

@frameLAlife: yeah don't want code out before it's ready - but why no communication?

I think that's the biggest gripe from us all.... the communication factor.... i mean the dev showed up and said that by a certain block we would do the fork then they say they are running behind then nothing for a few days.

I think we all agree that is annoying and can be unnerving when you are financially invested.

We'll see Smiley

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 09:18:54 PM

While I want to agree with this statement. The devs need to set a foundation and kick things into gear before the community can develop its own projects, services, etc.

I would have to be a ballsy mother with no fear of losing thousands of fiat to be able to open a business that runs on Octo, It is just not a reality at this point, seeing as we have no real volume that could come close to replicating a stable payment processor, a small community meaning no real "market", and no real credibility behind Octo as of yet.

As with everything cryptocurrency related - it is a gamble. However, making informed decisions is key to success.

Nobody is making you mine or buy OctoCoin, therefore there is no need to spread FUD without actual proof of anything.

@Edric

You still enjoy pizza, or has making it on a daily basis diminished your love for it? Cheesy

Yessir it is a gamble.... see ya on Saturday!

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 09:59:18 PM

I think that's the biggest gripe from us all.... the communication factor.... i mean the dev showed up and said that by a certain block we would do the fork then they say they are running behind then nothing for a few days.

I think we all agree that is annoying and can be unnerving when you are financially invested.

We'll see Smiley

Which is precisely my point.  I'm afraid its the devs who are creating FUD unnecessarily.  OK, they have busy lives, don't we all.  I run a business, that involves me in a full time Consulting role and looking after the 10 guys that work for me doing the same as well as spending all my weekends doing book-keeping, accounts, etc etc.  Oh and did I mention the 6 kids and 3 dogs?  The point being, we're all busy and find time to come here, it takes 5 minutes to scan the daily posts and post a quick update every 2 or 3 days.  Fatguy manages to make a whole article on a weekly basis with frankly very little material to work with because the devs are so silent.

I asked them to have a word with FusionHash about misappropriated funds, they've done it before, yet I get the silent treatment.  I invested in 3 Gridseed blades for no reason other than to mine this coin because I believed in what they said.  True, nobody is forcing me to mine, in fact right now I've stopped.  Maybe the devs want me to dump 5% of their coin onto Mintpal as soon as it hits, well I'll say right now I'll send it to a dead wallet address before I do that.

As far as it being the community that makes the coin, I agree, that happens with a lot of coins.  However, right from the start the devs have made it very clear in everything they've said that they want control, they have investors to please and projects to fulfill.  "OctoCoin will begin moving altcoins out of basements and into skyscrapers", so what's our role in this? What if we as a community due to ignorance of what's planned start moving things in the wrong direction? There is no cohesion and no engagement from the dev's with this community and quite frankly we are it's most ardent supporters, outside of these pages nobody else in the alt world gives a shit.  So, unless they want this coin to fall flat on its arse they need to start talking to us, or delivering, or preferably both.

Yeah I definitely see your point. And to an extent I agree. I work full time in the IT industry, Joshycoin and I are both trying to launch our consultant biz and we are still always checking in here.

I hope they get your shiz fixed soon. Specially for someone who truly has been here on these boards and you see their name in the top 15 all the time on FusionHash... gotta take care of your people.

I think they will come through though.

good luck!

GWCalvert

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 10:43:52 PM

And yes... the wallet update would be nice.  Wink

@Edric

I have been around the cryptocurrency world for a few years (even though I am a newbie on this forum). I do not mine coins, as the computers that I have capable of mining are busy doing my IRL work. (I'm thinking about setting up a Raspberry Pi with some ASICs as a test miner, soon) I invest in coins that show promise. And I believe that OctoCoin does.

I trade many different cryptocoins and only hold onto the ones that I feel will make a significant return in the future. I churn some coins that I like long term, just to keep the BTC flow going by making a few satoshis here and there. The only coin that I have never sold is OctoCoin. I may be a fool, in the end, but I believe there is a bright future for this currency.

While others complain about the devs taking too long, I want them to release something that works the first time instead of rushing something to market with a bug. If you push out a bunch of apps that do not work right, then that creates FUD. I have no problem with the amount of time being taken, if it is being taken for the right reasons.

That being said... more updates would be nice.  Wink

I am not suggesting, in any way, that anyone take over this coin. The developer's long-term plans are what will drive the price through the roof. I am proposing that we do more to create uses for this coin, now. When the dev's apps come online, there will be a larger community waiting and the demand will skyrocket.

There is no reason to invest lots of fiat to create interest in OctoCoin. Simple websites with games, giveaways, etc are not expensive to create or operate. Doing simple things will draw more awareness to the project and increase activity, not only in this thread but in the mining pools and at the exchanges.

There is interest out there. I have witnessed conversations in trollboxes at exchanges where OctoCoin is not listed. The consensus seems to be that they mined it early and are holding to see what comes about. There are those outside of this thread who like this coin. Hell, it took me nearly two months after the launch to finally break down and join the forum just so I could add my two-cents worth here and there, even though I had been buying Octos from the beginning.

@thenotfatguy - You said you are probably the youngest person posting in this thread. Well, I'm probably the oldest and most experienced. I've been an entrepreneur my whole life. I started my first business when I was 10 years old. I've made stupid money, and I've lost my ass. Every business venture is a gamble... that is what makes it so exciting!  Wink

-------------

BTW... My birthdate is August [8] 8th [8] 1964 [8x8=64] What can I say? I like 8's.  Tongue

thenotfatguy

Activity: 96

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:56:56 PM

@thenotfatguy - You said you are probably the youngest person posting in this thread. Well, I'm probably the oldest and most experienced. I've been an entrepreneur my whole life. I started my first business when I was 10 years old. I've made stupid money, and I've lost my ass. Every business venture is a gamble... that is what makes it so exciting!  Wink

I didn't get a start off that early, When I was 17-18 I had invested close a few thousand into liquidating a large amount of electronics electronics which I sold to friends, as well as locally. ROI came within two-three weeks and when I had gotten rid of the majority of my stock, I had enough to buy a high end gaming desktop, and pay this semester of college comfortably.

However, at one point or another I had an easy $1500 on hand lying around. What it would have been to buy ~30BTC at the time... Unfortunately at that moment in my time I was only an active observer, no mining and no investing.

Here's hoping I don't miss another coin with the potential to be a big hit Smiley

888 - 8bse7MESKBNGz9BixUCo5Z1cKJKVV5tZC7
GWCalvert

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 11:42:01 PM

And yes... the wallet update would be nice.  Wink

@Edric

I have been around the cryptocurrency world for a few years (even though I am a newbie on this forum). I do not mine coins, as the computers that I have capable of mining are busy doing my IRL work. (I'm thinking about setting up a Raspberry Pi with some ASICs as a test miner, soon) I invest in coins that show promise. And I believe that OctoCoin does.

I trade many different cryptocoins and only hold onto the ones that I feel will make a significant return in the future. I churn some coins that I like long term, just to keep the BTC flow going by making a few satoshis here and there. The only coin that I have never sold is OctoCoin. I may be a fool, in the end, but I believe there is a bright future for this currency.

While others complain about the devs taking too long, I want them to release something that works the first time instead of rushing something to market with a bug. If you push out a bunch of apps that do not work right, then that creates FUD. I have no problem with the amount of time being taken, if it is being taken for the right reasons.

That being said... more updates would be nice.  Wink

I am not suggesting, in any way, that anyone take over this coin. The developer's long-term plans are what will drive the price through the roof. I am proposing that we do more to create uses for this coin, now. When the dev's apps come online, there will be a larger community waiting and the demand will skyrocket.

There is no reason to invest lots of fiat to create interest in OctoCoin. Simple websites with games, giveaways, etc are not expensive to create or operate. Doing simple things will draw more awareness to the project and increase activity, not only in this thread but in the mining pools and at the exchanges.

There is interest out there. I have witnessed conversations in trollboxes at exchanges where OctoCoin is not listed. The consensus seems to be that they mined it early and are holding to see what comes about. There are those outside of this thread who like this coin. Hell, it took me nearly two months after the launch to finally break down and join the forum just so I could add my two-cents worth here and there, even though I had been buying Octos from the beginning.

-------------

BTW... My birthdate is August [8] 8th [8] 1964 [8x8=64] What can I say? I like 8's.  Tongue

All fair and valid points.  It's just the fact that there's complete radio silence, blind faith demands a trust relationship and that trust has been tested by the promise of a wallet update to make the distribution fairer which didn't come and there's been no word of why or revised timeline.  A comment on it would be polite courtesy if nothing else. Somebody mentioned earlier about going stir crazy, I guess I am.  I want to keep the faith in Octo, I really do, but the devs seem to be deliberately testing that.  I should probably get more sleep and be less tetchy.

BTW, you only have 4 years on me.

@JaggedMiner - I guess I'm not the only old fudder around here then...

I agree there needs to be more updates and explanations.

I also understand that the way the altcoin industry is these days, that any new idea that is proposed and not released immediately is added (poorly) to the latest shitcoin as a feature and can create a bad image for that particular idea that reflects poorly on others who may implement it later. Even if implemented properly by the other coin, they become first and you are no longer an innovator, but a copy-cat; even though it was your idea in the first place.

Being cryptic about your new apps and features is not always a bad thing. Giving your supporters a general idea of what is in the works doesn't hurt, either.

There are very few new ideas or apps being released for cryptocoins. Coins are pumped out daily that are clones of some other coin that had some success. When something new does come along, 20 new coins will feature something similar within a month. We are seeing it now with the proliferation of POS coins and the X11 algo. A few of these coins have been a moderate short-term success, but have never reached the levels of the coins they were cloned from because they really offer nothing new.

Anyhow... It is good to see lively discussions taking place here. This is the most active I have seen this thread since launch day. Having an active thread with mostly positive discussions generates interest from new people and keeps it near the top of the AltCoin Announcements.

Pages: « 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 ... 216 »
  Print  

Jump to: