Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:44:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... 216 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [888] [SCRYPT] OctoCoin ◦ The Power of Eight ◦ Don't Blink  (Read 297646 times)
syncsam

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 09:48:42 PM

i'm closing in on 100k, i've been mining AND buying since the beginning. SlickCorp is headquartered in Canada =p sold pretty much everything else i had to get more octos. i was half-considering buying the rest all the way to 6000 satoshis when i saw it start to skyrocket yesterday ^_^

and btw, can whoever has sell orders for 0.00913000 can you PLEASE pull them!? it makes the bittrex chart impossible to read, and completely useless. i know we all want this coin to be worth $10, but ti's not, and right now you're ruining the party for alot of traders who would like to see the TRUE order volume graphs.

PLEASE TAKE IT DOWN, i asked about a month ago, and to no avail. come on, do the right thing.

I'm in nZED, been mining for a couple weeks now, unfortunately with the increase in hash rate, not mining as much as I would have liked
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GWCalvert

Activity: 167

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2014, 09:49:58 PM

i'm closing in on 100k, i've been mining AND buying since the beginning. SlickCorp is headquartered in Canada =p sold pretty much everything else i had to get more octos. i was half-considering buying the rest all the way to 6000 satoshis when i saw it start to skyrocket yesterday ^_^

and btw, can whoever has sell orders for 0.00913000 can you PLEASE pull them!? it makes the bittrex chart impossible to read, and completely useless. i know we all want this coin to be worth $10, but ti's not, and right now you're ruining the party for alot of traders who would like to see the TRUE order volume graphs.

PLEASE TAKE IT DOWN, i asked about a month ago, and to no avail. come on, do the right thing.

There was someone who had a sell order for 250K Octos for somewhere around 26 BTC total. I had some blockers up there to keep it off the charts, but most were, unfortunately, bought up during last evenings run up to 3588 satoshi... Looks like there are plenty of sell orders now that they are a ways off the chart, but another big buying spree could cause them to show up again.

I really thought those blockers were high enough to be safe from sale... Now I need to buy some more Octo to replace those that sold... or rent some hash power... Maybe a little of both!  Grin

888: 8TSFGEFRSXc7fjWt9RPQF1iGUe7T3J2GL1  Emerald Crypto Thread
Bluestreet
Legendary

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 10:02:43 PM

Looks like the voting has dropped off by a lot in the last 2-3 days on mintpal? Everyone must be enjoying the weekend, hopefully it picks up again during the week.
th0ms0n

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 10:04:45 PM

Ok, I'm currently at about 250k but as a student this is already far above my money risk threshold. Now I'm just not sure if I should bet my last shirt on this coin...
IF the market cap reaches a value of say 10m, which is a realistic number IMO, then I'll be sorry not to have bought some more octos, when I had the chance.

On the other hand, if I take the profit then, spot another octocoin-like promising coin in the future and reinvest, this would be much safer.

What do you guys think: all in and hope this will be a one shot, one hit? Or play it safe?

If something is a above your risk threshold you are in effect gambling, and the game could go every which way, because you have intense feelings about it, and are bound to make mistakes and panic moves. Sort of. Unless you are a brilliant chess player.

If you are not sure if you want to bet your last shirt, then you really don't want to do it ! You have plenty of Octo already, so you should be happy.

Never bet more than half of what you can afford in a single purchase. I recently was tempted to go "all in"... I almost put everything in on "sure thing" investment.. however, even though I was tempted to go all in, i didn't, because I had my rule " never bet more than half of what you can afford", and guess what.. the investment turned out to be dud, and I lost 1/3 of that investment... boy was I happy that I followed my own rule...

I think you should diversify your alt coin investments a bit more. It just makes sense, because in alt coin land strange things can/will happen between eye blinking. - so don't blink   Roll Eyes

Just try to find a coin that gives you the same vibes as Octo (hard), or you think that has some untold potential ? (many)

Good luck!

I agree.  I have been advising people financially for a very long time and have always maintained a 20% rule.  Having more than 20% of your portfolio in any one investment is very risky.  If you have outside holdings to balance out your "all in Octo", that would help.  I have been an Octocoin holder from day one (my son mined and I bought).  I have a few coins that I think have a good chance of going the distance, but Octo is only the second one that gave me that 'chill up the spine, holy crap, this one is really different - it actually sounds professional' feeling.  If you are looking to diversify in another coin that has a business plan mapped out for years down the road, extremely active developers, and a very well behaved community, then check out DNotes.  That was the first coin that gave me that feeling.  

p.s. At this point I would not sell your Octocoin to diversify - find the money elsewhere, like selling the neighbour's barking dog!

Hi, I guess I will stick with your 20% rule. sounds pretty reasonable!

Actually I wanted to buy some more, but there were almost no sell orders left. And with the current hashrate I would need to rent some very big farms on betarigs.

Anyway, I'm visiting the coin calendar everyday, in the hope that some promising new coin will appear before my eyes Smiley I guess thats the best strategy: patiently waiting for real coins with a serious vision.
Though I'm a bit hesitant about coins with a completely new architecture, as I know how hard it is to create a completely secure system, when there are so many smart people around searching for security breaches etc.
MEGAman

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I'm gonna clean up this town

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 10:11:10 PM

Guessing the bitcointalk thread isn't as big of a priority for these guys as it is to other coins since they're all software developers. They seem to tweak it every week at most. I know the P2Pool was working for me as recently as two days ago.

Also... hey Jay! I'm starving over here! ETA on the jerky?

what is your order number, the last 4 digit on your invoice?

I saw you are supposed to allow up to 7 business days on that jerky delivery. I doubt the delivery guy is munching on your jerky.
cornfed82

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 10:13:35 PM

Nice Cool
djslick
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2014, 10:15:44 PM

Hey, another Canadian!

Ontario, Canada here and Im closing in on 20K (lol)

Not a whole lot, but to me its an impressive amount for just a 300kh/s card Cheesy

I'll do you one better: Toronto, Ontario, Canada =p

figures it's another canuck who's so great at community organizing, sigh* TYPECAST

*** STUMP THE TRUMP *** SPURN THE BERN *** VOTE BILLARY! ***
-= www.Billary.rocks | https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1439754 =-
thenotfatguy

Activity: 96

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 12:57:43 AM

Hey, another Canadian!

Not a whole lot, but to me its an impressive amount for just a 300kh/s card Cheesy

figures it's another canuck who's so great at community organizing, sigh* TYPECAST

Damn Slick, you live (kinda) nearby!

I live in the city across the lake with the better view =p, and its only a 45mins -4 hrs away, depending on the "usual" QEW/Gardiner traffic of course.

If the Vegas meetup is out of reach, one in Toronto could be doable although nobody would show Grin

Also, not a canuck... I'm not really into sports... at all

888 - 8bse7MESKBNGz9BixUCo5Z1cKJKVV5tZC7
djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 02:09:39 AM

Hey, another Canadian!

I live in the city across the lake with the better view =p, and its only a 45mins -4 hrs away, depending on the "usual" QEW/Gardiner traffic of course.

If the Vegas meetup is out of reach, one in Toronto could be doable although nobody would show Grin

heh, don't worry i hate sports too. entirely. my whole family (even sister) played hockey. i play competitive battlefield lol. I have nothing to talk to people about in bars, it's great.

so you're from Hammertown i guess? I used to do a live-to-air from 100.7FM from club BarCode saturdays in that town. And i promise you that my view is not obstructed from the gardiner Wink

doubtful that we have enough for a Tdot meetup, but truth be told i'm moving to Washington in a couple months, girl got a job, woo!

thenotfatguy

Activity: 96

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:20:18 AM

Hey, another Canadian!

heh, don't worry i hate sports too. entirely. my whole family (even sister) played hockey. i play competitive battlefield lol. I have nothing to talk to people about in bars, it's great.

so you're from Hammertown i guess? I used to do a live-to-air from 100.7FM from club BarCode saturdays in that town. And i promise you that my view is not obstructed from the gardiner Wink

doubtful that we have enough for a Tdot meetup, but truth be told i'm moving to Washington in a couple months, girl got a job, woo!

Yeah that sounds like my case too, CS:GO or League is way more fun than watching a game.

Correct on the Hammer, It has its shadier parts, but doesn't every city? Thankfully I live on the much more quiet side of the escarpment Cheesy

888 - 8bse7MESKBNGz9BixUCo5Z1cKJKVV5tZC7
Nutzfleisch

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:22:56 AM

Damn. I was waiting the whole time to buy the coin for 888 satoshi. Seems that I´m too late for that.  Cry
djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 03:16:50 AM

get in before 8888 satoshi Wink

yeah, if i had CS:GO i'd play a round with ya, had fun playing the hardline demo *coughshamelessselfpromocough*

http://www.twitch.tv/boomyak alot of my vids are 60 FPS on twitch, but the buffering is often awful, click the youtube button on my profile to see youtube versions of the same stuff.

djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 05:21:30 AM

ok i know that nobody cares, but i just read on ars that youtube is going to be implementing 60 FPS video!!!!!

this. is. incredible. been waiting since the dawn of youtube for this. always made me mad that other services which supported 60FPS all went the way of the dinosaur. and twitch's servers can't keep up, on peak hours can take an hour to load a 5 minute 60 FPS video, but it looks like you're right there playing the game yourself!

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/06/youtube-announces-60-fps-support-tipping-and-creator-studio-app/

And trying to keep this thread more on-topic: To me the holy grail of adoption for crypto is being able to bet on games. Not just poker or blackjack, the kids these days would rather bet on the outcome of their starcraft, or counter-strike match. and a decentralised digital currency fits the bill perfectly for that. I'd be comfortable letting my graphic card mine for an hour and bet the proceeds on a match. I wouldn't feel as comfortable moving $1 from my bank account to a site to be able to bet on a match.

The issue is the implementation of anti-cheat. and famously one of these services which did fiat betting on counterstrike matches, (it had to be running in memory all the time while you played) well turns out it was actually mining bitcoins, happened about a year ago. so that left a shitty taste in people's mouths, but the connection of these two worlds is no accident, they're made for each other.

The future is e-sports, they're the great equaliser. Someone's success is derived from their cunning and quickness, not from their biological dice-roll. I always wanted to be a basketball player, NOPE! but I can put all of those mental skills to work playing co-operative competitive matches in an FPS game. the only thing that can beat that is games for the disabled in the future where they plug a cord into your ear and you control everything with your braaaaaaaain.

Litesire

Activity: 458
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:24:37 AM

Looks like the voting has dropped off by a lot in the last 2-3 days on mintpal? Everyone must be enjoying the weekend, hopefully it picks up again during the week.

I am always looking at the coins in the top 20 on mintpal voting list, I think Octo gained 4-5 places on Mintpal even though it also had votes removed but also noticed the voting rate by the community has dropped off 90% over the weekend.

bholzer

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 07:39:32 AM

I am always looking at the coins in the top 20 on mintpal voting list, I think Octo gained 4-5 places on Mintpal even though it also had votes removed but also noticed the voting rate by the community has dropped off 90% over the weekend.

I have a feeling they are just removing a certain percentage from all of the coins... even if there is no evidence of fraudulent voting... to discourage fraudulent voting. If somebody is trying to cheat the system and sees votes removed it may discourage them even if it's basically a bluff. Obviously MintPal is hoping more people will pay for votes directly.

I noticed Murraycoin even had hundreds of votes removed at some point last week; Murraycoin only received about 7 votes in the past 2 weeks total so obviously there was no foul play going on (yet it was penalized). Don't let the removed votes discourage you from voting but do make sure you are only voting once/hour per IP address. It's ridiculous that MintPal uses the IP to determine uniqueness and penalties since, for example, several people in my office have been voting for OctoCoin and we're all on the same IP address. Since the penalties hit I just told them they might want to take a break on voting from the office (until I realized everything appears to have been penalized).

Annoying but as long as we keep grinding it out that's all that matters. Honestly MintPal will surely cause a massive price spike so for people looking to unload a few coins it's more important than for people like myself who are just looking for more stability and ease of acquisition. If the devs hadn't made a statement a while back about requiring MintPal for one of their services I'd probably still be voting for Murraycoin (despite already trading on Cryptsy) - I kind of like the fact that 888 is still flying somewhat under the radar despite being one of the most promising coins there is right now. Have to wonder if that's by design as distribution is getting wider and wider every day.

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
SquidsIn

Activity: 236

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:19:47 AM

I have a feeling they are just removing a certain percentage from all of the coins... even if there is no evidence of fraudulent voting... to discourage fraudulent voting. If somebody is trying to cheat the system and sees votes removed it may discourage them even if it's basically a bluff. Obviously MintPal is hoping more people will pay for votes directly.

I noticed Murraycoin even had hundreds of votes removed at some point last week; Murraycoin only received about 7 votes in the past 2 weeks total so obviously there was no foul play going on (yet it was penalized). Don't let the removed votes discourage you from voting but do make sure you are only voting once/hour per IP address. It's ridiculous that MintPal uses the IP to determine uniqueness and penalties since, for example, several people in my office have been voting for OctoCoin and we're all on the same IP address. Since the penalties hit I just told them they might want to take a break on voting from the office (until I realized everything appears to have been penalized).

Annoying but as long as we keep grinding it out that's all that matters. Honestly MintPal will surely cause a massive price spike so for people looking to unload a few coins it's more important than for people like myself who are just looking for more stability and ease of acquisition. If the devs hadn't made a statement a while back about requiring MintPal for one of their services I'd probably still be voting for Murraycoin (despite already trading on Cryptsy) - I kind of like the fact that 888 is still flying somewhat under the radar despite being one of the most promising coins there is right now. Have to wonder if that's by design as distribution is getting wider and wider every day.

Sadly, it seems Mintpal, like so many others of these pop-up exchanges, is inherently corrupt.  Maybe it didn't start out that way, maybe the money they made turned them that way but either way it stinks, this is ALL about a drive for paid votes and your observation with Murraycoin proves it.  Somebody recently posted a bot voting script in our Reddit pages and suggested Reddcoin voters have been encouraged to use it.  I actually don't see the problem with this, you are allowed one vote per hour, it's not possible for a human being to be awake long term for a part of every hour of every day without running into serious health problems.  Believe me as a sufferer of both central and obstructive sleep apnoea I know! 

IF somebody found a way to make their vote count whilst they slept why is that such a problem?  if it is, give 24 votes per 24 hours or make it one vote per 24 hours and then there is no excuse for randomly removing several hundred votes from a coin.  Some of those votes will have been paid for so in a normal walk of life users who have paid for them may well have a case for fraud in a court of law.  If any of these exchanges have regulators it would be interesting to run that by them.

They should either move to full paid votes in which case they will get every shit/scam coin under the sun passing through their books and make a fortune but have a business that lasts 6 months tops OR they should make it properly democratic.  One way to do that would be to take a random sample of the user base and send them out an e-vote with the option to choose one coin from the available list (or maybe a 1/2/3 weighted preference), count the returned votes after 12 hours and add them, then repeat for the next round.  Take the top coin each week as usual.

Users aren't perfect, but neither are exchanges, users want 'their' coin to win of course so that they can individually make money.  Who is the bigger evil here? Cunning users or a gluttonous exchange?  either way, something has to change.

Since getting into Cryptocurrency I've had many bags, all but two have varied over time.  Those are the two I see in the mirror where my eyes once shone.
LeFiste

Activity: 157

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:44:53 AM

Just did a manual payout on Edric's pool and had a 4 Octo TX fee. Pretty high Shocked ...when did this change? I remember the TX fees being something like 0.1

wartywarlock

Activity: 208

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:08:58 PM

Just did a manual payout on Edric's pool and had a 4 Octo TX fee. Pretty high Shocked ...when did this change? I remember the TX fees being something like 0.1

That's the pool I use mostly, definitely not seen a fee like that before. How much did you withdraw?
th0ms0n

Activity: 66

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:17:40 PM

nice, more action on octohub.org!

ps: is the spinning stuff new? saw it on my smartphose some days ago, and there was only the logo
edric

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:25:44 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2014, 08:36:33 PM by edric

The OP Pools could do with an update.

Only Fusionhash (beware their password reset doesn't seem to work) and Fedaykins are still working the others are either down or 888 is disabled.

I second this, this is the most simple to fix problem the coin has (which says something!). Coinmine.pw has octo too, tho it is currently under maintenance.

I'm always working on my pool, trying to make improvements here and there. Since the switch to NOMP's stratum implementation I believe people are much happier with their hashrates.

Octo-Chance has been updated to latest version, with a couple of bugfixes that were causing intermittent crashes as well as an issue where some addresses were improperly flagged as invalid.

Edit: Anyway, as for my other projects, I'm taking as much of a DIY approach as I can. Starting with exchange API's and working my way up, I'm working on an app right now to interface with a few exchanges, do trading, etc. Pretty heavy stuff but now that I'm really into it I am making steady (though slow) progress!

Pages: « 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... 216 »
  Print  

Jump to: