Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:19:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 216 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [888] [SCRYPT] OctoCoin ◦ The Power of Eight ◦ Don't Blink  (Read 297646 times)
edric

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:58:48 AM

Hey guys, I've tried to give the last few pages a quick skim over but I'll definitely have to read back up tomorrow. It's getting hard to keep up with the thread, moving quick! I'm sure I've missed out on some stuff but I try to stay current-ish! I saw the word hardfork a few pages back and had to do a double take and make sure I didn't miss an update. I sure would be mad at myself. It's 5:20AM and I'm just about to turn in for the... morning... so I'm a little rough around the edges. I try to give semi-regular updates on the goings-on on my end here, no bad news, at least! I've been talking quite a bit about getting my multipool up and running, but after lots, and I do mean lots of poking and prodding, testing things, writing a whole bunch of API stuff, driving myself nearly nuts, I'm just not happy with what I'm coming up with. There are, however, certain projects underway that I think are going to fit in much nicer with my overall vision of things (and my overall budget and development abilities, being a solo operation and all :b), so I think I'm just going to hold onto the happy thought "if you build it, they will come", and keep this thing on the back burner a bit whilst waiting for some other projects to take shape. Meanwhile, there's a great deal of other stuff going on behind the scenes, lots of tweaks and some security enhancements to all my servers, and tons of little projects I've picked up here and there that I've been playing with on my test server. Some of the guys were chatting in octo-chance the other day about wanting a slot machine. I just might actually have one soon! Much of the code I've been messing around with is Node.js (which is still new to me), so I've been trying to educate myself as quickly as possible, mostly through trial and error and breaking things in my test server, but I'm finally at a point where I've gotten my head around it so there should be some new toys for ya'll in the near future. One thing I'm very excited about is the LiveCode to HTML5 Kickstarter campaign, basically taking LiveCode and porting its runtime to Javascript so that any existing LiveCode app can run directly in the browser, its going to enable me to do all sorts of things I would've found too costly or time-consuming to do before, and if you're guessing that it has extremely serious implications for the future of my multipool plans or my love of setting up games for you to play, you'd be -mostly- right!

The pool has been chugging along pretty well lately. I don't watch the overall net hashrate too closely alot of the time, but we usually are running a decent chunk of the overall net hashrate some of the time so that's great! I haven't had any reports of anyone's payouts or shares getting eaten lately, which is good. Has anyone noticed improvements since I switched over the stratum to node? I'm running it on 2 pools and it seems to be working awesome for me. As always, I'm open to any suggestions or criticism, so fire away!

I'm finding there's been a strange pattern to the way things have been getting done lately. If I tell myself I'm going to get this, that, and the other thing done tonight, it doesn't get done. I get distracted and end up reading a CloudFlare blog or watching weird movies. If I decide I'm going to watch a movie or maybe play something tonight, I get distracted and get a ton of work done. What's up with that?

I need to remember to order some of that jerky, darn it, but its gotten me to thinking about a couple of batches I made about a year ago. Maybe I'll make a batch of mine someday soon. Its mostly crushed bhut jolokia, garlic, and marinade. And yes, you'll experience gastric distress, but if you love spicy stuff, pure ecstasy as well.

Anyway, I'm going to turn in. I can barely sleep without tylenol-PM, but the benadryl hangover tomorrow always sucks.

Good night! Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SquidsIn

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 01:16:28 PM

Somewhat enigmatic statement on Mintpal...

Important: Please be aware that we are phasing out the voting system. We have removed the option to make payment votes and will stop taking voting winners from 1st September onwards. The system will continue as normal until then.

Maybe this is a good thing, perhaps exchanges are starting to realise that the endless cycle of P&D's is harming alt-coins?

How are those plans / developments coming along devs?  Since democracy didn't work out for us maybe lobbying and diplomacy is the way to go?

Since getting into Cryptocurrency I've had many bags, all but two have varied over time.  Those are the two I see in the mirror where my eyes once shone.
joshycoin

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 01:37:28 PM

@TheNotFatGuy

As always, awesome Reddit post this past Saturday. Just wanted to take a second and say thank you for mentioning us at PTCrypto. Keep doin' watcha doin' and I'm sure we can give you the hook up on a T for that...  Wink
Winky

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 01:49:29 PM

I would like to hear something from the devs, they wanted to release the updated clients last week  Lips sealed
thenotfatguy

Activity: 96

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 02:00:56 PM

@Joshycoin

Not a problem on the mention, while hooking me up on t for that would be great, at least let me pay for the shipping which i know will probably cost more than the shirt itself because Canada. We'll have to talk once they are done and you start shipping.

And you spelt my username correctly this time Cheesy

@Squidsin

While this change appears to be good for OctoCoin as there will not be coins like before that pay 8-14BTC for an instant top 5 spot, it will definitely start encouraging users to manipulate the votes in any way possible. I sure hope that Mintpal is at the top of their game and paying close attention to votes coming from a botnet.

888 - 8bse7MESKBNGz9BixUCo5Z1cKJKVV5tZC7
SquidsIn

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:14:37 PM

@Joshycoin

Not a problem on the mention, while hooking me up on t for that would be great, at least let me pay for the shipping which i know will probably cost more than the shirt itself because Canada. We'll have to talk once they are done and you start shipping.

@Squidsin

While this change appears to be good for OctoCoin as there will not be coins like before that pay 8-14BTC for an instant top 5 spot, it will definitely start encouraging users to manipulate the votes in any way possible. I sure hope that Mintpal is at the top of their game and paying close attention to votes coming from a botnet.

How would you get a bot to solve a captcha though?  Actually, I guess it could be hacked.

Anyhow, the more pressing concern is that there will only be 9 coins taken between now and when voting stops for good.... and we are 12th.  Based on current observed voting patterns we should be able to take PolishCoin easily as it's pretty much static.  Probably GridCoin too.   That would leave is with one more place to make up, assuming of course that nothing comes up from below us.  But... the others around us are breaking away faster (EnergyCoin, Aiden, Kittehcoin, Stability Shares).

Since getting into Cryptocurrency I've had many bags, all but two have varied over time.  Those are the two I see in the mirror where my eyes once shone.
joshycoin

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:47:15 PM

@Joshycoin

@Squidsin

haha! For the record, it was always Frame who spelled your name wrong  Wink

P.S. - Because of that, I double checked before I typed it out
joshycoin

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:51:57 PM

@Joshycoin

@Squidsin

How would you get a bot to solve a captcha though?  Actually, I guess it could be hacked.

Anyhow, the more pressing concern is that there will only be 9 coins taken between now and when voting stops for good.... and we are 12th.  Based on current observed voting patterns we should be able to take PolishCoin easily as it's pretty much static.  Probably GridCoin too.   That would leave is with one more place to make up, assuming of course that nothing comes up from below us.  But... the others around us are breaking away faster (EnergyCoin, Aiden, Kittehcoin, Stability Shares).
I was reading this: https://support.mintpal.com/index.php?module=announce&sec=view&id=16

and I'm hoping this section from MintPal's update will play in our favor:

"After that we intend to adapt the voting system as a way of monitoring the current public demand for a coin by factoring in more for recent votes and allowing us to make decisions based on that."

We certainly always have "recent votes" as our numbers rises everyday with very few paid votes.
swainzag

Activity: 209

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:52:25 PM

@Joshycoin

@Squidsin

Kittehcoin being above Octo just makes me shake my head. It's a coin with 25 billion coins, down from 50 billion as it's re-launch, which will be worth nearly nothing if it gets added.  It's worth less than 1 satoshi on Cryptsy and has shown nothing innovative since it's launch in Feb.  How they have so many votes, I have no idea.  A coin with no future and a ton of coins being added over a quality coin with a future and great community would just be a tragic event IMO.

That being said, I just picked up another 4900 OCTO and voted on Mintpal.

murrayCOIN - The Only Currency Worthy of the Name
frameLAlife

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 03:57:07 PM

@Joshycoin

@Squidsin

Kittehcoin being above Octo just makes me shake my head. It's a coin with 25 billion coins, down from 50 billion as it's re-launch, which will be worth nearly nothing if it gets added.  It's worth less than 1 satoshi on Cryptsy and has shown nothing innovative since it's launch in Feb.  How they have so many votes, I have no idea.  A coin with no future and a ton of coins being added over a quality coin with a future and great community would just be a tragic event IMO.

agreed. there are so many bs alt coins out there. sad that you have to wade through all the bs to find decent ones.

www.ptcrypto.com YOUR Bitcoin consultants!
BTC 13TQitBTzADXpYsDMRjDqFuGaw8m1JZ2YE
swainzag

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:00:08 PM

@Joshycoin

@Squidsin

agreed. there are so many bs alt coins out there. sad that you have to wade through all the bs to find decent ones.

I would hope that is one of the reasons they are doing away with the voting system.  I know after adding a few P&D coins on Poloniex, they say they take a look at the coins source code and community before adding anything now.  Hopefully MintPal will do that as well.  Community votes only tell you so much about a coin and it's future.  Hopefully after the "hubs" on OctoHub start to come out, MintPal will look and say wow....this looks big, let's add it.

joshycoin

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:04:43 PM

@Joshycoin

@Squidsin

I have always said to frameLAlife that I feel like the tons of stupid alt coins, makes cryptocurrency lose its credibility from "would be investors", who may not know about cryptocurrency but are interested. If it is to be taken seriously you can't have things Pot, Sex, and Kittehcoin as options. While I have nothing against the first 2 coins as RL things to enjoy (I'm a dog person) its still hard to be taken seriously when frame and I want to talk to potential clients for our business and they see these as options. Anyway, my point is I agree and I apologize for the mini rant.
swainzag

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:10:10 PM

@Joshycoin

@Squidsin

I have always said to frameLAlife that I feel like the tons of stupid alt coins, makes cryptocurrency lose its credibility from "would be investors", who may not know about cryptocurrency but are interested. If it is to be taken seriously you can't have things Pot, Sex, and Kittehcoin as options. While I have nothing against the first 2 coins as RL things to enjoy (I'm a dog person) its still hard to be taken seriously when frame and I want to talk to potential clients for our business and they see these as options. Anyway, my point is I agree and I apologize for the mini rant.

I wouldn't consider that a rant at all, but more about the actuality of the alt-coin world right now.  I hate to call a good portion of alt-coin investors stupid.....but it's the truth.  I have talked with bholzer a few times about the alarming scammy alt coins being pumped out everyday.  It takes BTC away naive investors looking to get rich quick and puts the money in the pockets of a scammy developer and takes away value from truly good coins.

Hopefully long standing coins with active devs and good communities, like this one, can ride out this period of fly by night scam coins and survive in the end.  I believe in the OCTO. 

SquidsIn

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:19:49 PM

@Joshycoin

@Squidsin

I would hope that is one of the reasons they are doing away with the voting system.  I know after adding a few P&D coins on Poloniex, they say they take a look at the coins source code and community before adding anything now.  Hopefully MintPal will do that as well.  Community votes only tell you so much about a coin and it's future.  Hopefully after the "hubs" on OctoHub start to come out, MintPal will look and say wow....this looks big, let's add it.

That's why preulde/moolah added Octo in their 1.0 release I'm sure.  I guess they got fed up waiting for the features which is a shame.

Looking forward to the first hub release and the progress indicator.  Really appreciate that the devs are thorough and professional and want everything to be right but hoping you don't fall into the trap of wanting everything to be perfect and letting the scope creep to constantly add more features.  Otherwise, you'll never finish.  As a developer accursed with perfectionism I know this well.

swainzag

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:29:42 PM

@Joshycoin

@Squidsin

That's why preulde/moolah added Octo in their 1.0 release I'm sure.  I guess they got fed up waiting for the features which is a shame.

Looking forward to the first hub release and the progress indicator.  Really appreciate that the devs are thorough and professional and want everything to be right but hoping you don't fall into the trap of wanting everything to be perfect and letting the scope creep to constantly add more features.  Otherwise, you'll never finish.  As a developer accursed with perfectionism I know this well.

I think you described the problems in the alt-coin world perfectly.  Everyone is in such a rush to release their coin and get it out to the public that coins start trading with absolutely nothing but a blockchain, wallet and big dreams.  Yesterday was OctoCoin's 4 month anniversary.  For most companies in the world, 4 months is nothing.  No one creates a business or product that has immediate effect in 4 months, and if they do, it would have been in development a heckeva lot longer than 4 months. 

Create the coin, build the community, build trust in dev team, launch projects with community support.  It HAS to take time for alternate crypto-currency to gain adoption.

shellbunner

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:41:20 PM

^^^^^^
Everything you guys/gals have said is exactly how I feel. The slow growth of 888 is just what I'm looking for in a coin/dev/community.
dimfot

Activity: 275

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 07:00:52 PM

are there any active dice games for octo?

swainzag

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:06:34 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2014, 07:25:41 PM by swainzag

I believe the only game available for OCTO is:

Octo-Chance: http://octo-chance.fedaykin.us:3000/

But it looks like on the Octohub that there is a gambling option in the works for the coin! https://octohub.org/

djslick
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 07:12:03 PM

8 weeks to climb up 12 spots if we want any of our voting for the past few months to be worth anything.

and you'd better believe that other coins are going to turn up the heat on their community outreach programs to "get the vote out", especially in the final weeks, when coins become desperate.

brings me back to the point I've been making for a month now, we need a serious concerted "get out the vote" effort. not just us solving puzzles every few hours, that clearly isn't going to cut it, we do not have critical mass. so something has to be done about it. and it will be ALOT easier to do that earlier, than wait till late august.

it's a simple numbers game, either we do and take it in the next month, or don't and all of our votes will have been for nothing.

prove me wrong.

*** STUMP THE TRUMP *** SPURN THE BERN *** VOTE BILLARY! ***
-= www.Billary.rocks | https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1439754 =-
dimfot

Activity: 275

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 07:22:51 PM

I believe the only game available for OCTO is:

Octo-Chance: http://octo-chance.fedaykin.us:3000/

But it looks like on the Octohub, that there is a gambling option in the works for the coin! https://octohub.org/
i don't see any kind of activity on octo chance. gonna try out octohub

Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 216 »
  Print  

Jump to: