Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:53:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 [402] 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 ... 494 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Qora | Released 16 May | 100% POS | New Source  (Read 748196 times)
rlh

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 04:47:44 PM

I originally voted to keep the source closed, but as the weeks have passed on I have had a change of heart. It's not about price, as low price means I buy more and that goes for any crypto I choose to have a stake in.

My reasoning is simple, "Innovation".

I know many of you are so excited about the AE, but for me, it will not help Qora at all, or any coin for that matter. An AE is a great concept, but it lends itself to scammers way too easily. The effect the AE will have on an every day adopter is null. I could be wrong, but I believe our resources should be focussed in other areas. The fact that buyers have no recourse nullifies any potential benefit, but that is my opinion and I could be wrong.

Qora should solely focus on:

• Re-establishing our node count
  • Multiple clients to choose from - must be OS for this ( I suggested we have a client that supports themes, kind of like personalized checks)
  • Attract developers from other coins - trust me, good talent pool is low right now with the influx of all these new alts - must be OS for this.
  • Whitepaper release
  • Full or Partial Code release, put the skeptics to rest
  • Javascript Buy Now Button ( Can also be used for tipping, reputation votes etc..)
  • Mobile Applications

I pretty much agree with everything mentioned in this post.  We can't forget that when a coin is open-sourced, people who want to develop on top of the coin can now get their questions answered about how the software operates, and how to interact with the API, by inspecting the code, rather than bugging the developer(s) about knit-picky questions.

Furthermore, Qora could be one of the greatest developers in the world but we ALL need a second pair of eyes to look at our code.  Quality will sacrifice, otherwise.  When dealing with money, we need this to be thoroughly reviewed.

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rabbiter

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:31:34 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 05:41:46 PM by rabbiter

I originally voted to keep the source closed, but as the weeks have passed on I have had a change of heart. It's not about price, as low price means I buy more and that goes for any crypto I choose to have a stake in.

I know many of you are so excited about the AE, but for me, it will not help Qora at all, or any coin for that matter. An AE is a great concept, but it lends itself to scammers way too easily. The effect the AE will have on an every day adopter is null. I could be wrong, but I believe our resources should be focussed in other areas. The fact that buyers have no recourse nullifies any potential benefit, but that is my opinion and I could be wrong.

• Multiple clients to choose from - must be OS for this ( I suggested we have a client that supports themes, kind of like personalized checks)
  • Attract developers from other coins - trust me, good talent pool is low right now with the influx of all these new alts - must be OS for this.
  • Whitepaper release
  • Javascript Buy Now Button ( Can also be used for tipping, reputation votes etc..)
  • Mobile Applications

I almost don't want to post and agree cause I have been labelled as someone who is try to FUD. All of the points I agree on but the main one is going Open Source. This coin needs a community it's needs people to come in.

The main objection to OS is almost completely invalid. People believe loads of clones will come in and push Qora out of the way but it isn't going to happen. The truth is this I hope we get a few clones but I doubt apart from Ora junk we will even get one. The reason is new coins are turning up now and the new wave of coins almost have to have new source code in the title to even get any interest the era of Clones have probably finished at least the era where they are taken seriously. So the biggest objection to OS is stupid and unlikely to have any negative affect on Qora.

So what exactly are we waiting for?

*Remember the big clones of NXT? NEM and NXTL, NAS, etc all the serious one knew they couldn't survive as straight clones so they recoded from scratch. I have my suspicions they they are still ripping off NXT but still my point is clones cant achieve much these days. And straight clones like NAS are forgotten in days.

And please don't anyone say the community has voted so it's all decided. A few vocal people on this thread greatly influence the conversation and so the voting. I would argue they are the real FUD spreaders because they have made everyone think people are hiding in corners desperate to steal Qora code and destroy the coin. It's not based on reality but on ignorance and fear of how coins and even clones affect the original. What annoys me is those vocal minority are now all over other coins cheerleading them on while leaving Qora to flounder.
eli_lyd1

Activity: 422
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:40:20 PM

New site Alive now.
http://lingyong.me:3002/about
rabbiter

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:44:42 PM

great work! Are you getting a bounty for this? You should.

I think the more simple wording works much better but you are going to hate me now but maybe 'What is Qora' needs a ? After it, maybe it's ok though?

It's a small thing but under block explorer I might not have top 100 richest cause it's misleading as the first few are exchanges. maybe others disagree. Otherwise it shows a decent even distribution.
PilotofBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:47:36 PM

When on the "resources" tab the "community" tab is highlighted.
lyynx

Activity: 380
Merit: 275

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:40:53 PM

Looks great. 2 questions.

1. Can you add text-shadow to "Innovative From The Core Simple, Fast, New Code" on the main image as it gets lost on dark parts of image.

2. Did you mess around with a dark version as well, perhaps #333?

rabbiter

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:00:04 PM

Looks great. 2 questions.

1. Can you add text-shadow to "Innovative From The Core Simple, Fast, New Code" on the main image as it gets lost on dark parts of image.

2. Did you mess around with a dark version as well, perhaps #333?

Instead of text shadow that looks crap I would jus move the text up into the space in the sky.Maybe it slipped cause the top line looks low as well.
Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:02:01 AM

Congrats bro ! Nice !
eli_lyd1

Activity: 422

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 02:56:32 AM

I don't know how to descript the features. Such as Password Protected Wallets,New Proof-of-Stake Algorithm,Colored Coins/Assets,Data Storage,Chat....
This col, I leave it empty. Hope you can text the description about these features in english and send to me .

http://lingyong.me:3002/
rabbiter

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 09:30:59 AM

Qora said recently that if he does the wallet how he wants to then Qora will be unique.

Anyone want to speculate on what he might be talking about?
Viper1

Activity: 686
Merit: 320

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 09:41:32 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2014, 11:00:51 AM by Viper1

Qora said recently that if he does the wallet how he wants to then Qora will be unique.

Anyone want to speculate on what he might be talking about?

No idea really, but I hope he thinks more about what regular people are used to.  I've seen some other wallets lately and they're very nice.  In particular, the leaked Panda wallet that treats it more like a persons bank account type thing which they'd be used to.  The screenshots looked pretty promising.

BTC: 1F8yJqgjeFyX1SX6KJmqYtHiHXJA89ENNT
LTC: LYAEPQeDDM7Y4jbUH2AwhBmkzThAGecNBV
DOGE: DSUsCCdt98PcNgUkFHLDFdQXmPrQBEqXu9
notsoshifty

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 10:56:11 AM

• Whitepaper release
  • Mobile Applications

If source won't be released, I would put focus on the whitepaper release.

The proof of stake algorithm is perhaps the most important part of the coin, as ultimately it defines how secure the network can be, and yet we know almost nothing about how it works technically. The Nxt algorithm, at least it its present incomplete form, has been studied in detail, and this gives investors some confidence in what they are buying.

If Qora doesn't have time to write a whitepaper, then we could schedule a Q&A session where we get technical details on the implementation, and describe it ourselves. If timing was right I'd be happy to join that - anyone else in?

Regarding multiple clients: does it really need to be OS for this? It can be run in server-only mode (no GUI), and it has an API which should support everything an external client needs. If it turns out that clients need this API extended to work fully or efficiently then I'm sure Qora would be able to support that.

flankliu

Activity: 334

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:11:34 PM

• Whitepaper release
  • Mobile Applications

The proof of stake algorithm is perhaps the most important part of the coin, as ultimately it defines how secure the network can be, and yet we know almost nothing about how it works technically. The Nxt algorithm, at least it its present incomplete form, has been studied in detail, and this gives investors some confidence in what they are buying.

If Qora doesn't have time to write a whitepaper, then we could schedule a Q&A session where we get technical details on the implementation, and describe it ourselves. If timing was right I'd be happy to join that - anyone else in?

Regarding multiple clients: does it really need to be OS for this? It can be run in server-only mode (no GUI), and it has an API which should support everything an external client needs. If it turns out that clients need this API extended to work fully or efficiently then I'm sure Qora would be able to support that.

Great, hope to see QORA's whitepaper ASAP. Thanks.
My english is poor, cant help you in this project. But we will make a promotion plan in china when AE release. Let's work together for QORA's future. Wink

c4po

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:46:55 PM

When the Qora node registration registration will be available again?
rabbiter

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 02:27:18 PM

• Whitepaper release
  • Mobile Applications

A whitepaper needs to put across Qoras bigger vision and future plans and not just the POS algo. He quietly believes he has in his own words a coin that can overtake all the other coins.

If you think about it even the best Q & A neatly cut and pasted and presented won't be as good as a carefully set out Whitepaper in the long term. But what might be good is a separate Q&A after the Whitepaper that clears up any questions after.
peled1986
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 03:45:52 PM

On July 13 I asked qora if he read "On Stake" by "Vitalik Buterin" (https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/07/05/stake/) and about "Qora New Proof-of-Stake algorithm".
you can read the discussions here: http://coinia.net/qora/chat/logs/2014/07/13.html

[19:13:55] <peled1986> @qora did you read vitalik pos paper?
[19:14:18] <Qora> @peled1986: Partially not completely
[19:15:13] <peled1986> @Qora what do you think about "there is nothing at stake" problem?
[19:22:52] <Qora> @peled1986: Yes it is indeed possible to generate blocks on different altchains simultaneously. However I feel that as long as a certain percentage of the generators is honest this shouldn't be a problem.
[19:24:58] <peled1986> @Qora: can you give us a bit of info about "Qora New Proof-of-Stake algorithm" ?
[19:25:52] <dzarmush> @peled just wanted to ask the same ) something that doesn't reveal any secrets
[19:27:47] <Qora> @peled1986: If you look at the blog post currently Qora uses the "naive" pos.
[19:28:05] <dzarmush> what blog?
[19:28:51] <peled1986> https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/07/05/stake/
[19:29:11] <peled1986> @Qora thank you, I will read it again now.
[19:29:40] <Qora> @peled1986: If you look at the long-range attacks Qora solved this problem in a simple decentralized way.
[19:31:01] <Qora> Because of this we also solve the problem of needing decentralized checkpoints.
[19:31:26] <Qora> Basicly the solution lies in the differential block times.
[19:32:36] <dzarmush> now we need someone to rephrase it so everybody could understand, for example me )
[19:32:36] <Qora> When the total generating balance in the network becomes higher the time per block becomes lower.
[19:33:05] <Qora> This means that the chain with the highest generating balance will have the most blocks.
[19:34:36] <peled1986> @qora: "When the total generating balance in the network becomes higher the time per block becomes lower" - really?
[19:35:30] <Qora> Yes. This also helps preventing unnecessary blocks when the network activity lower.
[19:35:32] <peled1986> "1-5 minute block time depending on the network activity" = is effected by total generating balance in the network?
[19:36:04] <Qora> Yes because if there are more transactions more people will try and generate the blocks for the fees.
[19:36:22] <Qora> So more transactions should result in a bigger total generating balance.
[19:42:41] <dzarmush> @qora, could you write in one or two sentences why Qora POS algo is better/safer/faster/else then other algos?
[19:43:48] <dzarmush> there are some people working on a new press release which will be sent to different resources, it would be great to include this info
[19:44:21] <Qora> Currently the differential block times is what makes us different from other systems. Just know that the current algorithm is not final it can always be modified.
[19:45:04] <Qora> Also the fact that you can generate after only 10 confirmations is something not offered by other POS
[19:45:49] <peled1986> and the fact that you can split your holdings to different addresses in your wallet
[19:46:45] <dzarmush> what is the min block time possible if there's lots of activity in the network and huge forging amount?
[19:47:15] <Qora> 1 minute at 10Billion generating balance
[19:47:51] <dzarmush> sometimes it's 1 min with much less
[19:48:24] <Qora> That is part of the randomness.
[19:48:54] <dzarmush> sometimes it's even less than 1 min
[19:50:48] <spaw> @Qora: how does transaction boosting it in to all this?
[19:51:31] <Qora> @spaw: Well when generating a block you know exactly at which timestamp your generated block will become valid.
[19:52:28] <Qora> Explained very simply. That timestamp could be broadcasted in the network. This will allow the nodes to know which node will probably generate the next block.
[19:52:46] <Qora> So in that way they could send their transactions directly to that node without having to go through the network.
[19:53:23] <dzarmush> And in result there is what? )
[19:53:45] <Qora> less network load
[19:54:32] <Qora> In theory it is simple but making it work properly isn't.
[19:54:47] <dzarmush> which is good why? faster block generating?
[19:57:23] <Qora> This is for when the network would be very big and transactions volume high. To make the nodes require less resources to run.

Qorafan

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:13:55 PM

+1

• Whitepaper release
  • Mobile Applications

Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:29:25 PM

Nice interview  Grin
rabbiter

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:53:39 PM

Excellent interview but I think it's also shows what I'm worried about. That Qora is probably the best coin around at the movement, with coins like Etherium getting huge amounts of press and hype Qora seems to solve huge problems BUT gets no exposure.

Plus he should be posting on the thread cause Chat is hidden from the casual follower.

A Q&A is not enough we need a Whitepaper that people can easily access. It's stupid he knows his stuff, he just needs to write it down in the right place, ie not hidden in chat.

Oh and Qora is going to the moon once people wise up!
DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 3103

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 05:42:12 PM

Excellent interview but I think it's also shows what I'm worried about. That Qora is probably the best coin around at the movement, with coins like Etherium getting huge amounts of press and hype Qora seems to solve huge problems BUT gets no exposure.

Plus he should be posting on the thread cause Chat is hidden from the casual follower.

A Q&A is not enough we need a Whitepaper that people can easily access. It's stupid he knows his stuff, he just needs to write it down in the right place, ie not hidden in chat.

Oh and Qora is going to the moon once people wise up!

It's a catch-22 in a way.  It's all well and good people saying it's the best coin around, but until people can look at the source to see what makes it so good, we have to rely on opinion rather than fact.  But at the same time, no one wants other coins to copy the good stuff to use for their own benefit, so we don't get the source yet.  It's the outsider at the moment mostly because of this.  I like the sound of what Qora does in theory, so I've bought a little, but I'd buy more once it's fully unveiled and given a thorough inspection by people more technically minded than myself.  That's when people will start paying attention (imo).  A whitepaper might help a little, though.

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
Pages: « 1 ... 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 [402] 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 ... 494 »
  Print  

Jump to: