Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 04:10:32 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 118 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Storj - Decentralized Storage  (Read 389690 times)
Yanakitu Tenatako

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 06:24:10 PM

How much I could expect with 300Tb storage space?
Do I need fast upload link?

BitFinex, best trading platform ever.
Register here: https://www.bitfinex.com/?refcode=53wNhi4gTx
applesaucey

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:23:01 PM

It is pretty hard to predict what will happen to the price of the coin (SJCX) after launch. We all tend to price the GB/year plans, it has been compared to Dropbox costs, Amazon costs, and so on. The truth is, there is a market out there, and price is driven, as always, by supply and demand. However, the implementation details are very important, too. For a solution with a nice GUI, that is easy to use, people will be willing to pay a decent price. If it is going to be hard for them to figure out how it all works.. then not so much.

I feel that Dropbox is popular not only because it fills a need (for online storage), but also because it is also easy to use, and it looks good.

Totally. Dropbox has a dead-simple interface. It just works, and sharing files/folders are so easy. If the public can be taught why p2p storage is more secure, and Storj has a clean interface, it'll fly!
STORJX

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:27:21 PM

We can't really make any precise estimate on rewards until we actually enable them.
Test Group B will be able to provide stats and insight that should give everyone a better idea about rewards.
applesaucey

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:26:40 PM

It is pretty hard to predict what will happen to the price of the coin (SJCX) after launch. We all tend to price the GB/year plans, it has been compared to Dropbox costs, Amazon costs, and so on. The truth is, there is a market out there, and price is driven, as always, by supply and demand. However, the implementation details are very important, too. For a solution with a nice GUI, that is easy to use, people will be willing to pay a decent price. If it is going to be hard for them to figure out how it all works.. then not so much.

I feel that Dropbox is popular not only because it fills a need (for online storage), but also because it is also easy to use, and it looks good.

Yup, I agree it's less about the price and more about easy of use and attractiveness. Security and decentralization are great and all, but they're meaningless in terms of a successful business without a GUI that's clean and grandma-easy.
Un4givn85

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:54:13 PM

Happy 2015 to Storj!  I believe it's gonna be a prosperous year!
Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:58:21 PM

Is it possible to mine this coin?

No, you can't mine it. It is a Counterparty asset, and all SJCX have been generated and locked already. Some of the SJCX have been distributed in the crowdsale, you can buy them on exchanges (poloniex for example), and when the project launches, those who share their spare storage ("farmers") will be rewarded with SJCX. And if you need some storage in the cloud, you'll have to get some SJCX to pay for it.

Ah ok thank you
MemoryShock

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 09:34:29 PM

Yup, I agree it's less about the price and more about easy of use and attractiveness. Security and decentralization are great and all, but they're meaningless in terms of a successful business without a GUI that's clean and grandma-easy.

I think that an important aspect of the launch is going to be convincing people that storing other peoples data on their computers is safe and easy.  We know it will be.  But there is a large number of people who will see that notion and their initial reaction will be concern about viruses and other people accessing their information.  It's going to take a while for them to warm up to the idea after it has been implemented and they see other people are doing fine.  It's the sociological factors that are going to be interesting to watch through the early phases of this tech.

I also think that there is going to be an added hurdle regarding the method of payment.  In order to compete with Dropbox and others for adoption, people are going to need to bond with the idea of crypto currencies

I think the social factors will be interesting but in the end, it is the tech that will ultimately speak for itself...it just might take some time for it to bridge the gap between tech savvy and the everyday user.  Very exciting times...

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  I/O DIGITAL
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
iodigital.io & iocoin.io

█████████████████
███████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████
█████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
victerion

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 01:17:01 AM

I think that an important aspect of the launch is going to be convincing people that storing other peoples data on their computers is safe and easy.  We know it will be.  But there is a large number of people who will see that notion and their initial reaction will be concern about viruses and other people accessing their information.  It's going to take a while for them to warm up to the idea after it has been implemented and they see other people are doing fine.  It's the sociological factors that are going to be interesting to watch through the early phases of this tech.

I also think that there is going to be an added hurdle regarding the method of payment.  In order to compete with Dropbox and others for adoption, people are going to need to bond with the idea of crypto currencies

I think the social factors will be interesting but in the end, it is the tech that will ultimately speak for itself...it just might take some time for it to bridge the gap between tech savvy and the everyday user.  Very exciting times...

very true. eliminating misconceptions and false rumors is going to be crucial in order for Storj to truly gain traction in the public. we've seen how misinformation can ruin the appeal of a new tech to people.
MemoryShock

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 03:05:52 AM

very true. eliminating misconceptions and false rumors is going to be crucial in order for Storj to truly gain traction in the public. we've seen how misinformation can ruin the appeal of a new tech to people.

I'm not even sure it is misinformation that is a potential obstacle.  It's the learning new things.  People won't really understand right off the bat how this works.  I think that it will be a simple task to come up with infographics/tutorials for the average person but there is likely going to a learning curve.

That said, I wonder if there can be an exercise at launch where there is some kind of focus on getting people not in crypto exposed to simplified and friendly explanations - infographics, cartoons, et cetera.

Just an idea...

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  I/O DIGITAL
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
iodigital.io & iocoin.io

█████████████████
███████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████
█████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
applesaucey

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 03:14:09 AM

This is a great idea. Even just a little 40-second youtube cartoon embedded in the homepage that can be linked to in press releases, to break it down for the people who don't speak tech.
entharal

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 10:32:21 AM

Things will happen slowly at first, but once the network reaches a critical mass, the "tipping point", it is going to be self-sustainable and grow like an organic thing Smiley It is crucial to reach that critical mass first, and those part of it will probably be tech-savy.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 04:11:50 PM

We can't really make any precise estimate on rewards until we actually enable them.
Test Group B will be able to provide stats and insight that should give everyone a better idea about rewards.

What are your marketing plans as far as working with companies or communities that need lots of storage?  I could see there being far more sellers than buyers for storage. Have you guys been approached from anyone willing to buy massive amounts of storage?
zoro1

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 05:25:52 PM

i wouldn't expect some deals to be made beforehand. unless you have a working product which is cheaper than the others, big companies will not make a move Smiley
my main concern is if the offered space will meet the demand after the release Tongue

https://storjtalk.org/index.php
storj:decentralized cloud and much more!
super3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 07:29:07 PM

That is more of the goal of our corporate entity Storj Labs. That whole goal of that company is to bring the Storj tools to businesses and organizations, kinda like Bitpay or Coinbase.

I believe that abstraction is the most powerful tool we have. We mainly want to go after large data users way before we hit the Dropbox market. These guys will provide a large amount of demand, but would be happy with command line tools. From there we can scale and build the system.

This is a great idea. Even just a little 40-second youtube cartoon embedded in the homepage that can be linked to in press releases, to break it down for the people who don't speak tech.
What do you think of the 60 second one we already have?

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
duflobln

Activity: 17

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 08:56:15 PM

I really like the short video @storj.io. Its very comprehensible for the everyday normal guy.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 11:23:59 PM

That is more of the goal of our corporate entity Storj Labs. That whole goal of that company is to bring the Storj tools to businesses and organizations, kinda like Bitpay or Coinbase.

I believe that abstraction is the most powerful tool we have. We mainly want to go after large data users way before we hit the Dropbox market. These guys will provide a large amount of demand, but would be happy with command line tools. From there we can scale and build the system.

you guys should bring in a guy who is familiar with IT MSPs (managed service provider), and direct a back up product aimed the SMB market.

there are a couple large conferences and providers like CA and Kayesa, and a few others who would likely adopt this if you can show them the ROI.  and if they don't do it immediately you go directly to the MSPs that buy software from them.

i'm actually familiar with this market but i'm too expensive for you. find some guy in the US who is aggressive and can get deals done.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 12:36:08 AM

you guys should bring in a guy who is familiar with IT MSPs (managed service provider), and direct a back up product aimed the SMB market.

there are a couple large conferences and providers like CA and Kayesa, and a few others who would likely adopt this if you can show them the ROI.  and if they don't do it immediately you go directly to the MSPs that buy software from them.

i'm actually familiar with this market but i'm too expensive for you. find some guy in the US who is aggressive and can get deals done.
Sent you a PM
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 12:44:54 AM

Very good idea. I think Storj Labs could take a stab at that. If you have anyone you would like to refer us that would be appreciated.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
adamavfc

Activity: 36

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 12:49:36 AM

How can I get involved now if I have missed the buy in etc.?
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 12:57:52 AM

How can I get involved now if I have missed the buy in etc.?
See http://storj.io/earlyaccess

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 118 »
  Print  

Jump to: