Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:26:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984065 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
MrFring

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:14:24 PM

I'm stakeholderlist, but haven't heared anything more from the developers. how do I get my coins on launch? I must be more active maybe
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:21:39 PM

@all. Qora had a troll that ceased activities after being reported for spamming in a fashion that made debate rather impossible. CfA does make consecutive posts, is being redundant, and makes multiple topics on the same issue. I could imagine that a couple of reports could make a mod convince CfA to go easy on the reply/create new topic button.  

Meanwhile. I'm very happy to see that NEM didn't suffer too much damage from UP's mistake. IMO UP's case is more like Bill Clinton's than Trendon D. Shavers'...

But since all has been said and done already: huge high five to everyone for handling this like grown-ups. Brilliant future ahead Smiley

burp...
CoinsInTheCan

Activity: 240
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:26:22 PM

A couple of suggestions regarding the profit of 156 auction stakes, todays price about 468 BTC (coul be more) :

1. Use it for corporate desing and big marketing bomb soon after launch.
2. ...or devs could quit their dayjobs and consetrate to just NEM for a while to get even more work done.
3. ...or use it to send a marketing group to many bitcoin-conferences and payexpo's etc. to advertise NEM and get some contacts and make deals. (It worked great for NXT)

Those are exactly the kind of things all funds that are allocated for the future of NEM will be used.

Ok, not much choice either, because the extra stakes added up to stakeholders current stakes coud be problematic, because there is allready million NEM/stake sales been done in NXT-AE   Grin
mr smith

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:33:08 PM

@mr smith, Absolutely agree to hire Pro marketing.
This is really great sounds, Marketing is the first priority after coding.

Yes hopefully Beta won't be to long after Alpha. The auction will also generate a significant buzz.
US Marshals are to auction 3000 BTC about $17m worth on the 27th. That would buy a lot of marketing !
Problem is you need to deposit $200,000 and provide ID.

The ID side of things puts me off  Smiley
Will hodl my Nem instead !

New Economy Movement
Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism
solix

Activity: 180

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:46:36 PM

A couple of suggestions regarding the profit of 156 auction stakes, todays price about 468 BTC (coul be more) :

1. Use it for corporate desing and big marketing bomb soon after launch.
2. ...or devs could quit their dayjobs and consetrate to just NEM for a while to get even more work done.
3. ...or use it to send a marketing group to many bitcoin-conferences and payexpo's etc. to advertise NEM and get some contacts and make deals. (It worked great for NXT)

Those are exactly the kind of things all funds that are allocated for the future of NEM will be used.

Ok, not much choice either, because the extra stakes added up to stakeholders current stakes coud be problematic, because there is allready million NEM/stake sales been done in NXT-AE   Grin

why not start sending people to conferences straight after the alpha? ethereum goes to them, why not us? could sell stakes at the conferences! give a couple away to major crypto companies like exchange ceos payment processors ect. i read somewhere that the api will be released after alpha so im guessing much more technical details will be available. if people buy a stake at them they can choose to just give details to claim later or if they know about nxt, an account could be set up for them and send the stake to their account their and then!

^ This: There will be a time and place for donations. But anything that helps increase liquidity and get coins in to the hands of the every day Joe and not crypto nerds is our mission if we are to uphold "new economy movement". Anything else is a disservice to the people stuck using fiat that governments print at will.

Your Ad here! PM us now if you'd like to advertise here.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:51:12 PM

The costs.  Tens of thousands for flights / hotel rooms / booth rental only to advertise to the hundred or so people who show up, most being from other coins.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
solix

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:00:34 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 07:17:32 PM by solix

The costs.  Tens of thousands for flights / hotel rooms / booth rental only to advertise to the hundred or so people who show up, most being from other coins.

I don't want the developers to get intertwined in politics & socializing.  BTC's stuff isn't hosted by Satoshi or even the foundation, third parties do it.

I'm sure we could find volunteers local to the area? Who said it had to be devs? Socialization is everything for cryptos don't you think? We can't rely on people seeking this stuff out for themselves on the net. You have to put it in front of them. I'm not saying it needs to be a trade show necessarily, but we need folks socializing this stuff. Just be smart about it. Pay for a booth, use a local NEM person willing to travel out of their own interest (I'd consider it for example) armed with prepared material by the community. It doesn't have to be lavish.

Edit: I think my point here is that I talk to a lot of people daily that don't quite get this whole "bitcoin" thing. When I explain things like frictionless transactions and native currency exchanges from buyer to seller their eyes light up and they say "yeah my brother has to wire money to his daughter in university over seas and it's such a total drag! that sounds great". Then give them a way to easily do that from their mobile, and they are hooked and they tell a friend and so on. So maybe while not trade shows (those people already get cryptos right?), we need some sort of community awareness thing. Maybe parents attending university orientations or something... put a booth up next to the Greek community and give them a QR code for the app in the app store Tongue.

The task we are charged with is helping people see the relevance to their lives. Why should I use this if I can just use the money in my pocket today? To show them this has use, and isn't just some funny Internet money. Libertarians get it, and underworld figures get it, and certainly the governments and banks get it. Everyone is fighting for the hearts and minds of the common man who ultimately is the one that decides what is to prevail. What useful functions can it serve for mere mortals? This is a cultural shift. People have to trust it. They can trust it when they can see how easy it is to move between fiat and nem. Banks and governments won't make that easy for us. Things like VirWox / SLL, Cryptsy, and the 10 other sites you need to jump through to move between the two is one of our big headaches. I know my mom would never be willing to deal with any of that. I don't think you can move to people using it exclusively until they feel at ease moving between what they do today and something new. I could be wrong.

fragout
Legendary

Activity: 1279
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:39:46 PM

WP on the new thread.
mr smith

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:02:17 PM

Can anyone explain API in simple terms what is API ? Also Fiat notes have a serial number>
cryptocurrency coins , do they all have a unique serial numbers ?

New Economy Movement
solix

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:10:26 PM

Can anyone explain API in simple terms what is API ? Also Fiat notes have a serial number>

Application Programming Interface

It tells other people that might use or interface with your system how to do it. So if some other person or entity wants to write some other application, say a mobile app, that talks to NEM (let's say an auction house that uses NEMs Asset Exchange under the covers), it tells them how to write code to interface with it. I'm sure others can do a better job than I did.

As for serial numbers, I think it comes down to your philosophical belief in things like Dark coin. Should people be able to transact anonymously? In a Libertarian sense I say yes, but it would also make black markets and illegal activity much more difficult to police. It's a double edged sword. Again, crypto geeks will probably have a better idea about the block chain and what the analogy is there with respect to a coin being minted. I'd guess not since the denominations are not pre-set.

crackerhead

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

My Head is a Ritz

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 08:24:18 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 08:37:22 PM by crackerhead

Edit: I think my point here is that I talk to a lot of people daily that don't quite get this whole "bitcoin" thing. When I explain things like frictionless transactions and native currency exchanges from buyer to seller their eyes light up and they say "yeah my brother has to wire money to his daughter in university over seas and it's such a total drag! that sounds great". Then give them a way to easily do that from their mobile, and they are hooked and they tell a friend and so on. So maybe while not trade shows (those people already get cryptos right?), we need some sort of community awareness thing. Maybe parents attending university orientations or something... put a booth up next to the Greek community and give them a QR code for the app in the app store Tongue.

The task we are charged with is helping people see the relevance to their lives. Why should I use this if I can just use the money in my pocket today? To show them this has use, and isn't just some funny Internet money. Libertarians get it, and underworld figures get it, and certainly the governments and banks get it. Everyone is fighting for the hearts and minds of the common man who ultimately is the one that decides what is to prevail. What useful functions can it serve for mere mortals? This is a cultural shift. People have to trust it. They can trust it when they can see how easy it is to move between fiat and nem. Banks and governments won't make that easy for us. Things like VirWox / SLL, Cryptsy, and the 10 other sites you need to jump through to move between the two is one of our big headaches. I know my mom would never be willing to deal with any of that. I don't think you can move to people using it exclusively until they feel at ease moving between what they do today and something new. I could be wrong.

I completely agree with this point. IMO Bitcoin would have reached way more people by now if the marketing stopped focusing on the tech side, and focused much more on the usability side.

A lot of people are happy letting banks hold onto their money simply because it's the most convenient option for them, once a crypto is proven to be as convenient as online banking, I think we will see a huge adoption rate (honestly there is no reason that it shouldn't be way more convenient than online banking, there's no BS signup and verification process with NEM).

NEM.io         blog.NEM.io        r/ourNEM
mr smith

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 09:09:21 PM

Application Programming Interface

It tells other people that might use or interface with your system how to do it. So if some other person or entity wants to write some other application, say a mobile app, that talks to NEM (let's say an auction house that uses NEMs Asset Exchange under the covers), it tells them how to write code to interface with it. I'm sure others can do a better job than I did.

As for serial numbers, I think it comes down to your philosophical belief in things like Dark coin. Should people be able to transact anonymously? In a Libertarian sense I say yes, but it would also make black markets and illegal activity much more difficult to police. It's a double edged sword. Again, crypto geeks will probably have a better idea about the block chain and what the analogy is there with respect to a coin being minted. I'd guess not since the denominations are not pre-set.
Thanks i kinda get it, will give it some thought whilst meditating over a football match  Smiley

New Economy Movement
Thingamajig

Activity: 497
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:51:14 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 11:54:34 PM by Thingamajig

That, in bold.

In order to get NEM to have a wider adoption outside of those already familiar with crypto's, things like youtube and facebook would be my first port of call.

I completely agree with this point. IMO Bitcoin would have reached way more people by now if the marketing stopped focusing on the tech side, and focused much more on the usability side.

A lot of people are happy letting banks hold onto their money simply because it's the most convenient option for them, once a crypto is proven to be as convenient as online banking, I think we will see a huge adoption rate (honestly there is no reason that it shouldn't be way more convenient than online banking, there's no BS signup and verification process with NEM).

Actually, i think the rationale behind alot of the "average joe" user goes a bit like this:

1. They read FUD in mainstream media which in often cases only reports on stories that are controversial or negative (on the subject of crypto's that is) - negativity is frequently good clickbait as people are more inclined to express outrage or negativity then they are praise. It's a human trait. (Although granted, Bitcoin deserves criticism in many respects, if it didn't, i wouldn't invest in non-PoW coins, however mainstream media tends to literally spread FUD when it deals with Cryptocurrency, largely through ignorance and a agenda, this leads to outright scorn, not criticism. )

2. The corresponding opinion as a result of mainstream media makes them uninterested or inclined to believe Crypto's are scams or unsafe - and in many respects, they're right. This forum is full to the brim of scamcoins. Even bitcoin, being still rather young, is volatile in terms of valuation -this makes it unsafe to stash away your hard earned savings/money in it.

With the above things in mind, NEM will likely struggle to make it into mainstream adoption unless it's able to market itself like Bitcoin did; on the allure of "money for nothing" or "mining". I for one think a few viral video's and some well placed, timed Facebook marketing is in order - but obviously on more honest and transparent principles.

The biggest thing going for NEM right now is it's rather large initial distribution - this gives it more security, and the more who already join in, the more secure it will become.
chris.capossela

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:43:00 PM

Moderated threads scare me a bit.
Or we need a certain level of generosity I think.
gvans

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:12:39 AM

Go see the non-moderated where the shit hits the fan and you will see there is reason Undecided

BTC 1Mye3mqB9WQdCj3uFwx6zcRArnzbUiq6Ro  ★ [NXT] NXT-RA49-RXFR-V6WE-97HT9
★ [ORA] LOGO  ★ [NEM] LOGO  ★ [NXT] MONOLITH  ★ [EXO] LOGO  ★ [FIMK] LOGO  ★ [NODE] LOGO
makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 12:31:39 AM

I oppose pre launch public auction, as that means 400 BTC IPO is going into someone pocket  at current prices.

If developers want 400 BTC more, why they also need 15% stake too  (which is 600 million Nem)

Money is used to pay for ecosystem dev, etc. Those stakes are only worth 400 BTC because of our efforts, so what is the problem?

Everyone has equal opportunity to get more NEM by joining in and helping us build and promote NEM and NEM services: https://trello.com/b/GEWEPSZJ/nem-promotion

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 12:33:50 AM

I oppose pre launch public auction, as that means 400 BTC IPO is going into someone pocket  at current prices.

If developers want 400 BTC more, why they also need 15% stake too  (which is 600 million Nem)

Im thinking quite same, what is the purpose for collect more BTC ? Otherwise, could we use that money to big marketing campaign or made bounties to new devs ? Or just share all btc with old stake holders  Grin

It's basically designed to collect even more money.

So first we had an IPO (which we are not supposed to call "IPO") that collected 60+ BTC and several thousand Nxt.

Then we will have a second IPO where 200 more stakes are "auctioned" again for even BTC, this time at muh higher prices (potentially 400 BTC).

Double the fun.

Then 15% developer stakes and 10% more reserved for future (25%) -- and no answer on what will happen to unclaimed stakes that could be as high as 25% more (making 50% controlled by "developers")

I agree that things are a little bit too shady now about how the funds will be used. Many things have been decided by "the community", but in the end only a handful of people have had any influence to the decisions made.

I think that the decision making should be much more transparent. More voting on the official NEM forums (there should be more urging here on BTT to register there) and let the stakeholders have a say on how these reserved NEMs should be used in NEM's benefit. I agree on that we need a big fund to promote NEM, but we also need to be much more transparent about the use of this fund.

Also, how will be the BTC collected from the auction be used? Will this go to promotion fund, too?

How funds will be used is explained here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/makoto1337/NEMlogos/master/handout/page3.jpg

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌

Sora
|
XOR
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:35:53 AM

Go see the non-moderated where the shit hits the fan and you will see there is reason Undecided

It was brought in because one person made 550 posts since Friday and almost all of them were directed at NEM.  His posts were full of terrible and annoying english.  99% of it was lies, he impersonated being the leader of NEM, tried to scam money by pretending to be in charge of tokens, regularly claimed to had owned a lot of NEM stakes, annoyed newcomers, et cetera.  He was also preventing, due to his volume and annoying posts, any actual discussion about NEM.

Either the guy is an unemployed lunatic or someone hired him because who frankly has time to make 550+ messages within a few days, of which 500 were directed at NEM?

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 12:37:47 AM

The auction as you may remember emerged as an idea from the community(while NXT AE wasn't around and wasn't even a though) with the purpose to attract a good deal of attention and helping a lot of other people to join before our official launch(There was a high demand for it). After we did the NXT AE listing the auction remained in place because of the same reason and because it is still relatively hard for new people to buy NEM via NXT AE.

There is a big difference. Nxt AE trades are done among users. The auction money will again be controlled  by the "developers". Why so much centralized money controlled by just a few people? That's in addition to 25% Nem that they will control and nothing yet known about what will happen to unclaimed stakes (could be 25% more -- potentially making total 50% controlled by a just a few).

If they want to do auction, how about doing it with their 15% of the stake (which is equal to 600 stakes a very big chunk)

If auction will be held, i hope that collected money will be used for the development process before the launch. In this case we need transparency and puplic vote system to determinate how the money will be spend and who is in charge of the process.

Until V1, funds are in control of the core dev team: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/makoto1337/NEMlogos/master/handout/page3.jpg

I think it is important to do this so that we have clear direction and can get things off the ground. Around V1 launch, the community should step in and start to lead everything.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 12:43:15 AM

Let me address some of the issues.
When it comes to me (and I think I express view of other devs too), I'm here for NEM, not for btc.
Whether public auction will be held (I think it should as it was promised), and how many stakes
will there be, is TBD. We will definitely take Eadeqa's fears and doubts into consideration.
(Give us few days time for some internal discussion)

Regarding 15%, keep in mind there is 400/100/100 split there, so it's not only dev but also promotion and ecosystem.

The 10% reserve, is supposed to go for FUTURE projects and it will be LOCKED (using NEM business rules).

Very reasonable IMO. I am an early investor in Nxt and a stake holder in NEM and allow me to chime in my perspective here: Eadeqa's FUD is widely off the mark.

When Nxt was out of the genesis block there were a radom 8 people who held 5% of the total coin each. There were at least two other peope who sent the Btc twice or more and they had 5% of the total coin each too. Comparing to NEM current scheme in which the core dev. get about 2% for doing allmost all the works up to V1 blockchain (which is up to current Nxt blockchain specification as I understand).

I am questioning this Eadeqa's motive. He doesn't care that a random person holding 5% of Nxt but worry so much that a NEM core developer getting 2%? Isn't is suspicisous ? I would demand his explanation before considering any of his FUD request.

As a business owner and a technocrat myself, I believe in hardwork being rewarded. As a regular investor (in other businesses), I am always looking for the clues that the key people of that entities having proper incentives for doing a good job of running the show. As a NEM stakeholder, I think it is the best for NEM that the core dev. and other key peope in marketing and business having a sizeable chunk of NEM so that they have an interest in developing and building NEM for a longer term success.

Add: As a community, we have to treat our developers well. They are NEM founders and deserve to be treated as such.

Please join in and help us build things! Feel free to come on trello.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: