Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:56:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 [631] 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312492 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 02:50:24 PM

Bear in mind that all the XMR contributors added way more code in the last 1-2 years than the DASH contributors did.

Hi Debruyne, just wanted to clarify this part of your comment ^^^^. A huge amount of development work has been done in Dash. This was clarified with Smooth a couple of months back.  Now this comparison does not mean anything in terms of the choices of development or the quality of work so I don't think one should compare at all.  It just felt like you were trying to say "less development work is done at Dash that is why they do promotion" which is simply not true.  We do just as much development or more.

I really don't know why people insist in trying to compare this two projects, but for whatever reason they do. It is pointless, Monero is a great project and it will be successful or not on its own merits. Regardless, of anything that is happening with Dash.

This comparison is pretty much meaningless imo but in case you want to continue it's better to compare similar branches. For Dash corresponding Bitcoin branch is 0.10, not master.

So difference is somewhere around 2100 commits currently

Thank you for the correction. That seems an impressive number, and indeed somewhat an indication of a lot of development work being done that is independent of Bitcoin. If you look back in the actual commits there were indeed many commits for clean ups, tweaks, etc., especially during the summer (around the time of the version 12 release), so the 2000 number seems to pass a quick reality check.

Are you no longer merging new Bitcoin commits, or is it planned to freeze for a while and then catch up at some point?

Yep, the idea was to freeze v12.0 in some stable state (which we hopefully achieved) and release new fixes and improvements (as well as merge latest commits from Bitcoin 0.10) in v12.1 somewhere before v13. v12.1 still require more work to be done (still having issues with locks sometimes) and community testing before launch for sure (few important things changed there including tx creation and budgeting rpc) so not going to happen very soon imo. Moreover we are mostly concentrated on developing ideas and implementation of v13 now.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 03:13:29 PM

I really don't know why people insist in trying to compare this two projects, but for whatever reason they do.

People compare cars, cell phones (and network operators), cloud computing services, economic theories, laundry detergents, hospitals, stocks, etc.

It would very surprising if people didn't compare cryptocurrency projects.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 03:29:05 PM

Price is more reasonable now.  I will resume accumulation, slowly.  I continue to believe that coned determines the marginal supply of crypto generally, and the long run on XMR has reinforced that notion all day every day.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 03:41:07 PM

Price is more reasonable now.  I will resume accumulation, slowly.  I continue to believe that coned determines the marginal supply of crypto generally, and the long run on XMR has reinforced that notion all day every day.

con edison? you obscurantist. 80% of americans wouldn't get that reference, let alone this international crowd.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 06:12:23 PM

When I started looking into altcoins XMR was around .00105 & Dash was .0061  Now it's .00128 XMR & .0128 Dash....Dash team went places in different countries and doing massive PR while the only PR that Monero did is spamming bitcointalk threads with an online game that most of us do not understand or care about and making useless threads by it's supporters.

Let alone the slow development that goes with XMR developers with no clear time limit or even a time guess from the developers, even if they tell us we will be finishing (insert what ever they are developing now) in 2017 this gives people something to look forward to at least.

The devs? Well they are flocking together on IRC on a weekly base, hang around and do some slow developments. Lazy bums all of them, but acting as a team. Compare that to this top notch Bitcoin Dev team and their splits and their tantrums, pulling a Hearn and whatsnot.

However from an "investment perspective" I am still shocked by the last Atrides discovery. Things like that need to get fixed. And the blockchain split last month. I've been degraded into a spectators position, watching further future unfolding from the sideline.
Tacheless, if Monero had been preceeding Bitcoin, nobody would even talk about Bitcoin, as beeing hillariously outdated from technology alone. Monero base design is showing the future path. This will take some time, however.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4927

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 06:34:22 PM

When I started looking into altcoins XMR was around .00105 & Dash was .0061  Now it's .00128 XMR & .0128 Dash....Dash team went places in different countries and doing massive PR while the only PR that Monero did is spamming bitcointalk threads with an online game that most of us do not understand or care about and making useless threads by it's supporters.

Let alone the slow development that goes with XMR developers with no clear time limit or even a time guess from the developers, even if they tell us we will be finishing (insert what ever they are developing now) in 2017 this gives people something to look forward to at least.

The devs? Well they are flocking together on IRC on a weekly base, hang around and do some slow developments. Lazy bums all of them, but acting as a team. Compare that to this top notch Bitcoin Dev team and their splits and their tantrums, pulling a Hearn and whatsnot.

However from an "investment perspective" I am still shocked by the last Atrides discovery. Things like that need to get fixed. And the blockchain split last month. I've been degraded into a spectators position, watching further future unfolding from the sideline.
Tacheless, if Monero had been preceeding Bitcoin, nobody would even talk about Bitcoin, as beeing hillariously outdated from technology alone. Monero base design is showing the future path. This will take some time, however.

WTH do you mean by "last Atrides discovery"?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 07:30:24 PM

It is a discovery of something already discovered and to my ignorant eye it doesn't seem to be much and will no longer be anything at all soon.  The following are all the relevant posts from the ANN thread.

I made rescan_spent, xmr were reflected in a purse, was updated till 0-9-1-0, in attempt to send xmr wrote Error: transaction <feb341ebc7e9ed474ee1041a61dd82a67152f5ba07c6f2bc10f8cb8f8e1d2d93> was rejected by daemon with status: Failed, made once again rescan_spent, writes again that on balance these coins aren't present, and in show_transfers there is pending out 113.800000000000 f9e2551e60ec55c0caca725dd07c6e23c48175398387edfc35289f369d2cea08 0000000000000000 0.340000000000 how to return them? or to make that reached the destination?
prompt, please, how to return coins?
Try this
1. Exit simplewallet
2. Make sure your wallet.bin.keys file is securely backed up
3. Delete the wallet.bin file.
4. Exit daemon
5. Remove poolstate.bin file
6. Restart daemon
7. Restart simplewallet.
8. Wait for wallet to rescan (may take some time).
9. Check balance and resend coins
EDIT: Added steps 4-6

Thanks a lot, coins are displayed in a purse now, but I can't send them a purse Error answers: transaction &lt;6643070e524e0fbde6cb6107fe8faacacb18f9ce7f1ea43c15a126fe0c2a4513&gt; was rejected by daemon with status: Failed
demon writes [RPC0] [on_send_raw_tx]: Failed to process tx
prompt, please, as to correct it?

Currently it's a bug in Monero. Your coins are frozen until it will be fixed.
In source code exist "pending_timeout", but not realized, therefore pending coins are pending forever.

Even with rebuild wallet file and with deleted poolstate, you cannot send your coins.
The daemon gets new poolstate from other daemons (and they have you old transaction, overall) or if daemon try to send forward, get rejects from other nodes.

Doesn't that get fixed in this PR? -> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/630

EDIT: Atrides, could you link us to the source code where "pending_timeout" exists?

Currently it's a bug in Monero. Your coins are frozen until it will be fixed.
In source code exist "pending_timeout", but not realized, therefore pending coins are pending forever.

Even with rebuild wallet file and with deleted poolstate, you cannot send your coins.
The daemon gets new poolstate from other daemons (and they have you old transaction, overall) or if daemon try to send forward, get rejects from other nodes.

There's no such thing as pending_timeout, are you thinking of something else?

Transactions fall out of the mempool 24 hours after the local node's receive_time for that tx, the issue is that a handful of these transactions are perpetually stuck because, as you correctly state, you'll receive the transaction again if it's out your mempool and a node rebroadcasts it (there are various conditions under which this can occur).

The larger issue was a bug that allowed valid post-March-fork transactions to enter the mempool in its pre-March-fork state. That has been fixed, and we will put out a point release this week pending one other fix, as discussed in the Monero Dev Meeting this past Sunday.

Doesn't that get fixed in this PR? -> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/630

EDIT: Atrides, could you link us to the source code where "pending_timeout" exists?

Yes, that fixed issue.
2Mutovin, you need to compile from source, 9.1.0 has still this bug.

"pending_timeout" was here "bitmonero/external/unbound/services/outside_network.h"
But only as "struct", I thought it was planned to implement in the future.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2016, 07:31:26 PM

A huge amount of development work has been done in Dash.

I really don't know why people insist in trying to compare this two projects, but for whatever reason they do. It is pointless

You built an overpriced (way over budget) soda machine and hired a stripper to stand in front of it.  That's sleazy marketing, not "development work."

Comparing two products competing to supply the same demand for private e-cash is not "pointless."

Evaluation of competitive advantage is how markets work; it's why they exist.  But I'm not surprised to find economic illiteracy in Minitaur26, who is Duffield's #1 minion.

You obviously wish to create some kind of truce, such as the one Darkcoin and XC had, where we ignore your scam and stop saying fraud when we see fraud.  That truce served to perpetuate (aid and abet) the XC scam, which caused dozens or hundreds of people to lose BTC when it died.

Why does it still take hours or days to mix Dash?  Where is the masternode blinding that was supposed to have been in the latest version, released last summer?

Even your most brainwashed cult members are starting to wonder WTF is in the Kool-Aid at the Evan's Gate compound.

I want to point few major issues why we are still not in production:

1. there is not a way to sendmanyIX
2. there is not a way to mix coins trough dash-cli
3. there should be a better way to get notification if transaction came trough IX or normal.

Moving the goalposts to the hopelessly ambitious Evolution roadmap of blue-sky unicorn projects does noting to finish the previous tasks.

Evolution is an exercise in creative writing and marketecture, not "development work."

There are entire, fully funded projects solely working on distributed storage. Then there are entire, fully funded projects working on social networking type applications. Then there are entire, fully funded projects working on API building.

Given that background, any self respecting investor is going to conclude that Dash has bitten off more than it can chew trying to do all this to a high technical standard with only 1 or 2 core developers. They will wonder where the efficiency gain is in development (i.e. what is it that those projects are doing that Dash doesn't need to do).

Comparing zero-sum, conflict-inducing "DASH budget proposals" (which are paid for by fiat Dash made up from nothing) to Monero's open-ended, pay-what-you-want Forum Funding System is an entirely valid exercise.

The only reason you seek to discourage such comparisons is because Dash looks terrible when measured by the Monero benchmark.

Monero has exposed Dash's snake oil and bad crypto, now it's time for Decred, a professional/fair/honest PoS coin, to finish off your instamined HYIP scam for good.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4927

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 11:46:09 PM

It is a discovery of something already discovered and to my ignorant eye it doesn't seem to be much and will no longer be anything at all soon.  The following are all the relevant posts from the ANN thread.

[/quote]

You mean the bug that was found immediately and patched immediately? That was the Big discovery? Did he discover how to finish the work he was paid for?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 11:56:47 PM

Bear in mind that all the XMR contributors added way more code in the last 1-2 years than the DASH contributors did.

Hi Debruyne, just wanted to clarify this part of your comment ^^^^. A huge amount of development work has been done in Dash. This was clarified with Smooth a couple of months back.  Now this comparison does not mean anything in terms of the choices of development or the quality of work so I don't think one should compare at all.  It just felt like you were trying to say "less development work is done at Dash that is why they do promotion" which is simply not true.  We do just as much development or more.

I really don't know why people insist in trying to compare this two projects, but for whatever reason they do. It is pointless, Monero is a great project and it will be successful or not on its own merits. Regardless, of anything that is happening with Dash.

I genuinely got a bit carried away by the obvious troll post from days. In my initial post I meant lines of code. Anyway, I don't feel the need for comparison as well, but days kind of provoked that with his comment.

Regarding bolded, let it be clear that I didn't meant that. Again, I don't feel the need for comparison, but others obviously do.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 11:59:00 PM

It is a discovery of something already discovered and to my ignorant eye it doesn't seem to be much and will no longer be anything at all soon.  The following are all the relevant posts from the ANN thread.

You mean the bug that was found immediately and patched immediately? That was the Big discovery? Did he discover how to finish the work he was paid for?

The bug was patched before he publicly posted about it.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
birr

Activity: 869
Merit: 585

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 12:16:16 AM

con edison? you obscurantist. 80% of americans wouldn't get that reference, let alone this international crowd.

Ha ha.  I would like to know what he meant.  Has anybody figured it out?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 12:21:37 AM

Price is more reasonable now.  I will resume accumulation, slowly.  I continue to believe that coned determines the marginal supply of crypto generally, and the long run on XMR has reinforced that notion all day every day.

Ha ha.  I would like to know what he meant.  Has anybody figured it out?

I presume he is talking about the marginal supply getting less and less everyday. In other words, daily inflation is getting lower everyday, thus lowering available daily supply (marginal supply). Just think about the shape of a cone and how the (daily) supply (and distribution) of a cryptocurrency would fit into that.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 12:43:22 AM

Price is more reasonable now.  I will resume accumulation, slowly.  I continue to believe that coned determines the marginal supply of crypto generally, and the long run on XMR has reinforced that notion all day every day.

Ha ha.  I would like to know what he meant.  Has anybody figured it out?

I presume he is talking about the marginal supply getting less and less everyday. In other words, daily inflation is getting lower everyday, thus lowering available daily supply (marginal supply). Just think about the shape of a cone and how the (daily) supply (and distribution) of a cryptocurrency would fit into that.

con edison is a power company, so I guess he means the price of electricity affects how many coins miners must sell (rather than hlod) to pay the bill, thus 'coned determines the marginal supply.'

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 01:06:49 AM

Yes Consolidated Edison is the electric and steam company in New York City.  Yes they use generated steam.  Their electric rates have to be among the highest in the nation.  If aminorex and Monkey are mining there, I imagine they ain't selling.

And so goes the obscurantist Cool

pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 04:29:06 AM

Several positive mentions of Monero on Slashdot: http://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/02/06/1958255/ask-slashdot-time-to-get-into-crypto-currency-if-so-which
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 05:52:27 AM

Yes Consolidated Edison is the electric and steam company in New York City.  Yes they use generated steam.  Their electric rates have to be among the highest in the nation.  If aminorex and Monkey are mining there, I imagine they ain't selling.

And so goes the obscurantist Cool

Nice Grin and featuring a Steampunk touch.

Regarding New York citizens they could still trade on Bittrex or somewhere else to sell some mining revenue.
koryu

Activity: 681
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 01:13:27 PM

interesting pattern for monero. break out up of the falling wedge would bring a higher low for a possible parallel channel.

medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:03:38 PM
Last edit: February 07, 2016, 04:20:10 PM by medusa13

looks like a good call to me @koryu.
market seems to agree for now.  to go all the way up again would be crazy  Grin

at least there wont be a fight for 145k this time..this war is over it seems

XMR Monero
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 11:36:42 PM

looks like a good call to me @koryu.
market seems to agree for now.  to go all the way up again would be crazy  Grin

at least there wont be a fight for 145k this time..this war is over it seems

the war? I think pump finished from last week or so. So xmr, is back to regular trading volumes.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
Pages: « 1 ... 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 [631] 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: