Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:48:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312379 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
gulypz

Activity: 476
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 10:05:42 PM

Monero is one of my most trusted projects in the future. I'm thinking of investing in the first opportunity. I wish I had known so long ago. We still have the opportunity to have a solid project.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4896

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 11:46:03 PM

@KeyJockey seems to just want to yell it from the rooftops. Tongue

Heh... okay okay yah I disappear for almost a year then come back and can't fucking shut up, huh... LOL

Well it'll happen or it won't happen regardless of my whistling past the graveyard or screaming into the storm winds, right?  Heh...

Then, there's this, too... LOL

Grin  Cheesy  Tongue 

Hah, Great to see you posting!
Chart looks nice today. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 01:01:40 PM

In the absence of a black swan event - and ten years after the white paper it doesn't look like we will see one - there is only one conclusion you can make.

By this criterion, we can expect Bitcoin to survive about 10 years.

Taleb mentions, if I recall correctly, the term "at least" / "minimum" for non-perishable stuff. Thus, following the Lindy effect, a non-perishable good that has existed for 10 years is expected to at least exist another 10 years.

Now, I suppose Bitcoin is technically an implementation of something non-perishable, which somewhat weakens the Lindy effect.

But we should also consider that BTC is still the best implementation of a cryptocurrency.  And if there was something that's gonna outlive every coin in the space, it's still gonna be BTC imho.

The rest haven't really been tested at the same scale that BTC has.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2018, 02:24:55 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2018, 03:59:47 PM by generalizethis

In the absence of a black swan event - and ten years after the white paper it doesn't look like we will see one - there is only one conclusion you can make.

By this criterion, we can expect Bitcoin to survive about 10 years.

Taleb mentions, if I recall correctly, the term "at least" / "minimum" for non-perishable stuff. Thus, following the Lindy effect, a non-perishable good that has existed for 10 years is expected to at least exist another 10 years.

Now, I suppose Bitcoin is technically an implementation of something non-perishable, which somewhat weakens the Lindy effect.

But we should also consider that BTC is still the best implementation of a cryptocurrency.  And if there was something that's gonna outlive every coin in the space, it's still gonna be BTC imho.

scale of testing != best implementation

The bug recently found underscores that even BTC, with its obvious limitations, isn't flawless or vetted enough. Also, there's the well-known fact, at least in this neck of the woods, that Bitcoin's aim to be an "eletronic cash" hasn't panned out.

If you had one job to do and couldn't do it, would you consider yourself the best?

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 06:13:19 PM

The bug recently found underscores that even BTC, with its obvious limitations, isn't flawless or vetted enough. Also, there's the well-known fact, at least in this neck of the woods, that Bitcoin's aim to be an "eletronic cash" hasn't panned out.

If you had one job to do and couldn't do it, would you consider yourself the best?

I tend to fall on the small block (at least for now) side of that argument, and believe bitcoin will find it's way in the end. 

Montero does an interesting job of pointing to a lot of possible solutions though...
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 11:38:40 PM

But we should also consider that BTC is still the best implementation of a cryptocurrency.  And if there was something that's gonna outlive every coin in the space, it's still gonna be BTC imho.

https://medium.com/s/story/the-domestication-of-cryptocurrency-acc832a0ad1c

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 02:19:39 AM

The lasting legacy of Bitcoin will be the total market cap of the cryptosphere, this pool of wealth is only 10 years old, and unlike any other in human history, it is free of conventional control, growing over time, and can morph itself into other forms almost immediately with minimal costs. Bitcoin and all other current crypto tokens might not exist in 10 years, but the pool of wealth will, it will continue morphing into new tokens by new tech as long as humans exist.
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 09:51:56 AM

The lasting legacy of Bitcoin will be the total market cap of the cryptosphere, this pool of wealth is only 10 years old, and unlike any other in human history, it is free of conventional control, growing over time, and can morph itself into other forms almost immediately with minimal costs. Bitcoin and all other current crypto tokens might not exist in 10 years, but the pool of wealth will, it will continue morphing into new tokens by new tech as long as humans exist.

I liked your post, this is what I thought of after...

tokeweed
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 11:42:03 AM

^  Wtf.  Lol.

I tend to fall on the small block (at least for now) side of that argument, and believe bitcoin will find it's way in the end.  

Montero does an interesting job of pointing to a lot of possible solutions though...

Yup and I tend to agree with the 'if you wanna scale, you should go off chain' argument.  I think some Montereans would tend to agree too.

And generalizethis, Monero had its share of flaws too.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2018, 11:49:14 AM

^  Wtf.  Lol.

Yup and I tend to agree with the 'if you wanna scale, you should go off chain' argument.  I think some Montereans would tend to agree too.

But fungibility isn't one. I'm talking about the stated goal of being "electronic cash," which has been kick the can down the road problem for years with add on features that never address the issue head on. If anyone thinks that BTC will become cash in the next year, I'll take their bet.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 03:33:05 PM

^  Wtf.  Lol.

But fungibility isn't one. I'm talking about the stated goal of being "electronic cash," which has been kick the can down the road problem for years with add on features that never address the issue head on. If anyone thinks that BTC will become cash in the next year, I'll take their bet.

This is an interesting discussion.  Have you considered that fungibility could be pretty strong on layer 2?  Granted this leaves us with a completely transparant base layer which presents it's own challenges.

This is actually at the crux why I believe Monero has a very unique value proposition.  It is fundamentally something bitcoin may never be able to fundamentally be.
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 04:52:11 PM

^  Wtf.  Lol.

I'm not sure that 'electronic cash' is a problem that BTC can't or won't address - at least, not yet. No doubt the ideas surrounding the purpose of BTC have changed over the years, but if BTC is to follow the narrative as illustrated by, among others, Vijay Boyapati (see https://medium.com/@vijayboyapati/the-bullish-case-for-bitcoin-part-3-of-4-2e2c002593f1) then BTC must first become an established and trusted SOV before it can ever become a MOE. That will be some years yet - definitely not in the next year.

Baguette Holder.
elrippos friend

Activity: 1179
Merit: 210

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 06:53:45 PM

Mid of November going to be interesting  Grin Cheesy Wink

tokeweed
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2018, 02:05:18 PM

^  Wtf.  Lol.

This is an interesting discussion.  Have you considered that fungibility could be pretty strong on layer 2?  Granted this leaves us with a completely transparant base layer which presents it's own challenges.

This is actually at the crux why I believe Monero has a very unique value proposition.  It is fundamentally something bitcoin may never be able to fundamentally be.

It's actually something BTC must not be cos if it goes that route (if it can) then it's value proposition as a transparent and accountable blockchain would be lost.  I think there's value in everybody being able to audit and account everything with our own eyes than just trusting something to actually work (like Monero).  Not saying it's a bad thing...  As cAPSLOCK said, XMR has its own value proposition for a different class of people (good and bad). 

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
georgemamat

Activity: 476
Merit: 75

View Profile
November 07, 2018, 02:19:44 PM

Monero seems to have a much greater power in the future. It is a really impressive project and it performs well. Monero is one of the most solid projects in this market.
johnfoss

Activity: 126
Merit: 118

View Profile
November 07, 2018, 02:28:20 PM

The Monero Moon (Issue 9) is out now. Get your weekly Monero newsletter fix right here kids!
https://medium.com/@johnfoss/the-monero-moon-issue-9-f05526401aa3
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2018, 09:43:32 PM

Shit forgot a few old sells I had from when the price was .0145 @ .0172 for spikes and they got filled.

Now I gotta buy back in the dip. Smiley

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2018, 11:31:59 PM

Ha

https://blockmanity.com/news/bitcoin/early-bitcoin-adopter-gavin-newsom-gets-elected-governor-of-california/

There have been controversies this year over politicians accepting Cryptocurrency donations to their campaigns. Due to worries about foreign interference especially with the use of privacy coins like Monero,

phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2018, 02:31:37 AM

^  Wtf.  Lol.

Yup and I tend to agree with the 'if you wanna scale, you should go off chain' argument.  I think some Montereans would tend to agree too.

It's actually something BTC must not be cos if it goes that route (if it can) then it's value proposition as a transparent and accountable blockchain would be lost.  I think there's value in everybody being able to audit and account everything with our own eyes than just trusting something to actually work (like Monero).  Not saying it's a bad thing...  As cAPSLOCK said, XMR has its own value proposition for a different class of people (good and bad). 

Wait, regarding the bolded text, are you suggesting that Monero is not accountable? Because you can... Huh

And regarding "fungible layer 2" argument, I want to respond in the form of a question... Let's just say we are talking about Bitcoin.  What happens when the entire (>51%) Bitcoin economy goes off-chain?  Better yet, would you be ok accepting a payment for a good/service you were selling, only to have to go back on-chain in order to exchange for fiat, and then you find out that your Coinbase account gets frozen because your coins are tainted in some way not suitable for them?

Opt-in transparency is the only logical solution for fungibility
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 08, 2018, 12:48:47 PM

Mid of November going to be interesting  Grin Cheesy Wink

Are you referring to Bakkt? I don't pretend to understand much about this market but it seems there are conflicting opinions as to the effect of Bakkt on the price of Bitcoin. There seems to be little price appreciation so far and we're less than five weeks away.

Baguette Holder.
Pages: « 1 ... 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: