Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:58:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 129 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board  (Read 286362 times)
hm

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 05:47:14 PM

I was a bit shocked to be unable to install the drivers under windows XP - the board was always being detected as "unknown usb device".
I tried every way of driver installation (source, list/have disk).

the solution was to not use the front usb ports but one of the ports on the back.

now drivers are installed, but cgminer has error (received 00000000, should be something) and even crashes... I'll come back later with a better error description.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 07:33:05 PM

About cgminer being default FPGA miner. Yes, it is not a default. Right now it's working and it's free so I don't believe there is any reason for anyone to give a free board for the Python based mining software developer.

Mr. Rampone. Stop that complaining. You have purchased that board knowing it's fpr developers. That literally means that you have to DEVELOP something to get it working . I don't see what's the problem here. Enterpoint is not serving you and bringing breakfast to bed? Some of us have ordered a lot more than one board and still don't even have them. You have yours so develop that bitstream and be happy.
rampone

Activity: 339

dafq is goin on

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 09:07:00 PM

Mmmhh, no development board bought here. those were shipped a week earlier with jtag cables?. Also I make no secret in that I dont know how to code. Also I did not order only one also. For just a pin mismatch towards an icarus board it is taking longer now. Either they are sweating, or (and my hopes go definitely in that direction) we might see a pretty perfect built system including up and down links for stacked boards, PowerDBoard, little software to exchange the bitstreams all at once.
Enterpoint themselves probably did not foresee this kind of trouble.

even though i totally believe in enterpoint, I just do not turn into a fan-boi quickly.
Whatever, I will shut up now saying this: a little more info towards the bitstream development status would be nice. Have a nice weekend, may the bitcoin rise

http://virwox.com - Bitcoins via CCard, Skrill, paysafe, paypal & SEPA
Convert your bitcoin into spendable fiat money in less than 2 days. Poker Players use this method to avoid "unnecessary trouble" with the country they live in ... PM me for details. +1:naz86,b4nana,tinua,smart1986,fhh
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 09:53:46 PM
Last edit: June 15, 2012, 10:17:42 PM by spiccioli

Hi,

I decided to use windows just to make a quick test given enterpoint cgminer is for win32 but no way for me either.

Downloaded and installed drivers, I have jtag, port A/B and com20-23.

cgminer.exe says it got 00000 instead of a number, all devices disabled and quits.

Standard cgminer.exe from forum does not even start, I'm on a vista 32bit SP2/ITA laptop which has not an OpenCL capable GPU onboard.

spiccioli.

ps. from the command prompt (cmd.exe) a

Code:
mode comNN:

with NN equal to 20,21,22 or 23

gives me

Code:
Stato del dispositivo COM20:
----------------------------
    Baud:                 57600
    Parità:               None
    Bit di dati:          8
    Bit di stop:          1
    Timeout:              ON
    XON/XOFF:             OFF
    Sincronizzazione CTS: OFF
    Sincronizzazione DSR: OFF
    Sensibilità DSR:      OFF
    Circuito DTR:         ON
    Circuito RTS:         ON

so virtual com ports seem to be working ok

edit: serial number of board: G2-0008
atsoat

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 10:31:23 PM

For what is worth. I received two boards and am running 64 bit Win7 and used the standard cgminer build (I got them before they put up their cgminer version).

First board worked OK after installing the drivers. Plugged in second and couldn't get it working. Kept getting the received 0000000 message.

Eventually, I rebooted and then they both worked fine first time after that.  There is something hypnotic about watching the blue light flash when it finds a share.

Not sure how you know which 2 of the 4 enumerated ports to give to cgminer, but for me it was the higher two ports for each board.

I'll add my voice to the praise for Enterpoint. Great performance to turn around the hardware for this product in such a short span of time - and when you have one in hand you'll see that it it feels a very robust professional offering (no offense to other vendors whose product I also have, but this actually does feel very industrial in quality).

Give them some time and the software side will follow.

rampone

Activity: 339

dafq is goin on

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 10:55:34 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2012, 12:18:33 AM by rampone

I have just watched you moan for 3-4 pages, its becoming tiring.

I received 4 boards today, what serial number is your board?

Moan moan Wink

62(g2?)-0016@about 100MH/s,W7x64,cgminer2.4.3 original, "middle" 2 comports

http://virwox.com - Bitcoins via CCard, Skrill, paysafe, paypal & SEPA
Convert your bitcoin into spendable fiat money in less than 2 days. Poker Players use this method to avoid "unnecessary trouble" with the country they live in ... PM me for details. +1:naz86,b4nana,tinua,smart1986,fhh
ebereon

Activity: 397
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 11:34:47 PM

62-0015  Cheesy
hm

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 11:48:36 PM

62-0017 hashing @ 55-60 MHash/s, win7x64
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 11:49:46 PM

There is a CGminer (Windows) for the 50MHz shipping configuration now on the support page.
Any change you guys could post a diff of the CGMiner code so we can port into the 2.4.x release of CGMiner
Wait WHAT?!?

Yohan - source link now please.

Breaking the GPLv3 license agreement is not an option thanks very much.
https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/blob/master/COPYING

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Keninishna

Activity: 556

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:34:54 AM

what does the enterpoint change do to cgminer? I'm getting 200mh/s outta my board now does it make it go faster?
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 03:25:28 AM

[ copy of email sent to support@enterpoint.co.uk ]

Dear Enterpoint

It has come to my attention that you are distributing a modified version of the cgminer code in binary only form from your support website here:
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk/cairnsmore/cgminer_windows.zip

As the maintainer of cgminer, I am pointing out to you that the codebase you are building on is licensed GNU Public License version 3.0. The terms of said license agreement are here:
https://raw.github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/master/COPYING
which can also be found here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

In violation of this license, you are releasing binary-only modified versions of cgminer which also include a binary only blob to be used with your hardware, as well as completely removing any reference to the original license agreement. I am going to assume this is a simple misunderstanding of the terms and conditions of the licensing agreement.

I hereby kindly request you stop distributing cgminer in this illegal manner. You are obliged to provide links to the source code for all modifications done to our code and the source code for the binary firmware you include with this archive, as well as the original licensing agreement, should you wish to further distribute this code.

If you wish to provide support for your hardware with cgminer, there are 2 broad options:
1. Provide modifications to cgminer code directly to the maintainer (i.e. myself) to be included in the master codebase upstream, add binary blobs to the code upstream and provide a URL link to where the original source for the binary firmware may be found. This will be the easiest to maintain long term and benefits everyone the most.
2. Maintain a fork of cgminer with your modifications to the source and the source for all dependent binary firmwares freely available for download.

I hope cgminer support for your products can continue to be provided in the appropriate manner for your company and client's benefit.

Regards,
Con Kolivas

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 03:28:46 AM

Dear Enterpoint

It has come to my attention that you are distributing a modified version of the cgminer code in binary only form from your support website here:

As the maintainer of cgminer, I am pointing out to you that the codebase you are building on is licensed GNU Public License version 3.0. The terms of said license agreement are here:

In violation of this license, you are releasing binary-only modified versions of cgminer which also include a binary only blob to be used with your hardware, as well as completely removing any reference to the original license agreement. I am going to assume this is a simple misunderstanding of the terms and conditions of the licensing agreement.

I hereby kindly request you stop distributing cgminer in this illegal manner. You are obliged to provide links to the source code for all modifications done to our code and the source code for the binary firmware you include with this archive, as well as the original licensing agreement, should you wish to further distribute this code.

If you wish to provide support for your hardware with cgminer, there are 2 broad options:
1. Provide modifications to cgminer code directly to the maintainer (i.e. myself) to be included in the master codebase upstream, add binary blobs to the code upstream and provide a URL link to where the original source for the binary firmware may be found. This will be the easiest to maintain long term and benefits everyone the most.
2. Maintain a fork of cgminer with your modifications to the source and the source for all dependent binary firmwares freely available for download.

I hope cgminer support for your products can continue to be provided in the appropriate manner for your company and client's benefit.

Regards,
Con Kolivas

I'm going to also have to chime in here. If you're shipping cgminer, you're also shipping the DiabloMiner kernel, which is also GPL3. Please comply with the GPL.

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:41:32 AM

Shoot, like a ton of bricks lol.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:43:41 AM

Dear Enterpoint

Regards,
Con Kolivas

Ok we have removed as the person that has the source is not available to provide it right now. It was only posted as a temporary development release to help customers that were complaining about the lack of materials. It will be put back with sources when we have completed the work and everything is available in a stable form. Apologies to customers who this affects.
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 01:33:03 PM

Thank you to those that support us and understand that we are still in a development phase still only 50 days since conception. To moaners you are free to cancel your pre-orders for whatever reason. We are also free not to supply either if we feel that the unit will not be of use to a customer and or the support of such a customer is detrimental to our other customers. We will strive to deliver what is best for the main base of customers and that will take a little time. I think I said right at the beginning I said the target to have most of the development done was the end of June and hence the early adopter pricing until then. I don't think we have seriously deviated from what we have said we would do in any aspect. We will also aim to keep you all informed about the good the bad and even any ugly as best we can and that is an ongoing part of our business ethics. Fundamentially I think we have the best FPGA hardware platform in the Bitcoin market. You are free to disagree on this this. It's just my personal opinion.

State of the Nation time:

CGminer will continue to be updated and we will release sources. We don't have any problem doing that or any commercial reason to withhold those. There is no commercial value in them to us as such. This might take a few days.

Bitstreams - Are on-going but hard to predict progress in any exact fashion. Our same staff working on this have been involved in improving our line and same goes for CGminer improvement and it is a compromise between spending time on one over the other. Generally this is improving and the design team are pulling back from manufacturing related tasks and more time is now going to the actual development stuff. So far there is no reason to expect that we won't have a unit into the 700-800+ Mh/s if not a lot better.

Hardware - We are switching over to the smaller heatsinks now in production. There are still a few units with the taller heatsinks to ship so you may get one of those. Results with the lower heatsinks are pretty much as expected and thermal perfomance is very good. We will try the option of additional rear cooling in a couple of weeks time and that is likely to be beneficial given what we have seen with our thermal imager.

We are hoping to have an alternative stacking pillar aimed a push-pull fan arrangements later this week or maybe the week after. We still need to source a fan bracket for that and it is on-going and no timeline on that as yet.

We are hoping to fit in the first simple power distribution board design this week and to make some shortly afterwards. The performance version with Ethernet support I don't have a timeline for as yet or a even full specification for as yet. It will come in it's own good time.

Shipping - We are maybe 1 week behind on our schedule but there is a reasonable chance we will catch this up in June and we are working to achieve this. Fundamentially we have made a lot of progress this week in moving to a smooth flow line which can deliver much more.

Yohan

jjshabadoo

Activity: 535

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:49:55 PM

I believe Enterpoint is providing top notch customer service in the development of Cainsmore so far. There are other FPGA vendors who have also provided excellent service and Enterpoint is at least up to or exceeding that standard.

It was made CLEAR that these first issue boards would not be shipped in a fully optimized condition. Therefore the $640 price point. Obviously those of us who are purchasing these will participate in the process of optimizing these boards. This is similar to receiving a beta version of a video game for free and providing feedback about bugs,etc.

Enterpoint DID NOT make you pay up front like some other vendors in the community. They asked for payment when the boards were ready to ship.

Enterpoint DID NOT suggest these boards would have a bitstream ready to go upon first batch of shipments.

Enterpoint DID make good on their development and delivery schedules within a reasonable margin of error.

Enterpoint DID keep all of us informed as to each point of progress during the manufacturing phase.

Enterpoint HAS continued to be open and honest in their communication about any problems/developments in the software/firmware.

I would hope the bitcoin community would be capable of showing a reciprocal respect by providing professional feedback as to what needs to be improved and continue to support this new vendor in a courteous manner.
roomservice

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:02:40 PM

I believe Enterpoint is providing top notch customer service in the development of Cainsmore so far. There are other FPGA vendors who have also provided excellent service and Enterpoint is at least up to or exceeding that standard.

It was made CLEAR that these first issue boards would not be shipped in a fully optimized condition. Therefore the $640 price point. Obviously those of us who are purchasing these will participate in the process of optimizing these boards. This is similar to receiving a beta version of a video game for free and providing feedback about bugs,etc.

Enterpoint DID NOT make you pay up front like some other vendors in the community. They asked for payment when the boards were ready to ship.

Enterpoint DID NOT suggest these boards would have a bitstream ready to go upon first batch of shipments.

Enterpoint DID make good on their development and delivery schedules within a reasonable margin of error.

Enterpoint DID keep all of us informed as to each point of progress during the manufacturing phase.

Enterpoint HAS continued to be open and honest in their communication about any problems/developments in the software/firmware.

I would hope the bitcoin community would be capable of showing a reciprocal respect by providing professional feedback as to what needs to be improved and continue to support this new vendor in a courteous manner.

Fully agree here!

johan you and your staff did an awesome job! Keep it going Smiley

I believe your products could get support from open source developer out there to add cairnsmore1 support on mining clients like cgminer or mpbm if enterpoint requests some help here.

Maybe this could help to concentrate on bitstream development.

Best regards,

a happy customer

"Tonight's the night. And it's going to happen again, and again. It has to happen. Nice night."
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:03:19 PM

I feel Con's notification of infringement was more than courteous. He could have instead demanded they immediately cease distribution and comply or face loss of all license and legal action, for contrast.

MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:08:39 PM

Yoan, could you give us your professional opinion about ASIC vs FPGA. I'm sure there are a lot of customers wondering if they should cancel their FPGA order.

Let's assume Cairnsmore will do 800Mhash/s. One needs 50 boards to achieve 40Ghash/s. This is 32 000$.
BFL claims they can deliver ASIC miner doing 40Ghash/s for 1300$.

If this is the case there is no point investing in FPGAs (or GPUs).

1) Is it possible to develop a working ASIC miner in 6 months?
2) Is it really that cheap?

I think they are just trying to scare customers to wait until they get the ASIC ready.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:09:48 PM

I feel Con's notification of infringement was more than courteous. He could have instead demanded they immediately cease distribution and comply or face loss of all license and legal action, for contrast.

I don't believe jjs post had anything to do with that. you are reading into his praise too much..

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 129 »
  Print  

Jump to: