Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:34:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 [966] 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916327 times)
Franktank

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:14:55 AM

Where is the information about the rockminer solo farm?

Somewhere in rockxies ipo thread. IIRC theyhad a goal of selling 10ph.

Looks like hashratio solofarm is up to 115th. Soon to be 1ph:

Is their solo farm consisting purely of AM Gen 3 chips? Potential franchisees?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:59:50 AM

from 160 000 000 chips total of gen3.
whatt?! where did you get those numbers? Shocked

Its upper limit from :

1) What is the order of magnitude of 3rd generation chips ASICMiner anticipates to sell (total / first batch / first 3 months)?
re 1) Order of magnitude: Depending on fab capacity. Total target is 10k to 40k wafers, relying on competitors, Bitcoin price, and other factors. A wafer is rated at 40 TH/s.

also I see that you're calculating 0.5$ profit per Gh/s ... selling price is from 0.49$ (unlikely for first batches) to 0.99$ (more likely), production costs -0.2$ Gh/s, put this into sheet Wink

so basically, the lower and higher targets takes us between 1 and 4,1 BTC divs per share...   Cheesy Grin Shocked Cool Roll Eyes Tongue Kiss
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 09:54:39 AM

from 160 000 000 chips total of gen3.
whatt?! where did you get those numbers? Shocked

Its upper limit from :

1) What is the order of magnitude of 3rd generation chips ASICMiner anticipates to sell (total / first batch / first 3 months)?
re 1) Order of magnitude: Depending on fab capacity. Total target is 10k to 40k wafers, relying on competitors, Bitcoin price, and other factors. A wafer is rated at 40 TH/s.

also I see that you're calculating 0.5$ profit per Gh/s ... selling price is from 0.49$ (unlikely for first batches) to 0.99$ (more likely), production costs -0.2$ Gh/s, put this into sheet Wink

so basically, the lower and higher targets takes us between 1 and 4,1 BTC divs per share...   Cheesy Grin Shocked Cool Roll Eyes Tongue Kiss

I remember that discussion. To quote myself back in the days...

On AM value assuming $0.8 per ghs profit; at 200 PH production = 0.6 Btc per share. Anything more, we will be in Btc heaven.

If we're extrapolating: 1600 PH/s production at a profit of $0.80 per GH/s gives approximately XBT 4.8 per share. Not bad, huh?

If we're really looking at $0.8 profit per GH/s, we have to consider that this is only the price for the first month(s). The price for following batches will be lower, since mining will become less profitable. So only the first, say, 50 PH/s will make $0.8 per GH/s, afterwards we have to settle for less. That being said, it's not completely unreasonable to expect another 0.6 BTC per share coming from gen 3. Which would (still) be perfectly fine in my books...

I'm AM bullish, but expecting (a lot) more than 0.5 BTC divs/share for all of gen 3 is delusional these days. Looking at the competition, this is still more than fine. Prepare for 0.25 BTC divs/share and take any surplus as a nice bonus. Disclaimer: This is no trading advice, remember that I may be very wrong about this. Also, I do own shares.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
minerpumpkin

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:05:58 AM

...as I'm assuming GEN 4 will be available in three/four months....

No way! First of all, gen 3 is viable and will have a longer lifespan than that. But more importantly, friedcat stated that anything below the process of gen 3 will require a lot more work, simulation, etc. He also stated in his April QA that gen 4 will be far more challenging. Even if they're working on it right now, the question will be whether there'll be a tapeout this year. I'd bet on no.

mikemikemike
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:09:34 AM

No way! First of all, gen 3 is viable and will have a longer lifespan than that. But more importantly, friedcat stated that anything below the process of gen 3 will require a lot more work, simulation, etc. He also stated in his April QA that gen 4 will be far more challenging. Even if they're working on it right now, the question will be whether there'll be a tapeout this year. I'd bet on no.

Ahhh ok. This still doesn't change much. I accounted for only selling fifty percent of the chips produced in the next three months, I guess we will just order more if we have too after that and sell them for a cheaper price. I do doubt though that they would fabricate that many chips without an idea for selling at least half within three months of delivery
minerpumpkin

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:15:21 AM

Ahhh ok. This still doesn't change much. I accounted for only selling fifty percent of the chips produced in the next three months, I guess we will just order more if we have too after that and sell them for a cheaper price. I do doubt though that they would fabricate that many chips without an idea for selling at least half within three months of delivery

The key aspect when they can't sell the chips is: self mining / franchising. They get the chips for free practically nothing. Selling the chips is the first priority, as it will yield as much as possible in as little time as possible. Keeping them in stock isn't very wise. So they'll be best off putting them to work for themselves.
Selling half of the chips seems like a reasonably conservative enough guess.

mikemikemike
Copper Member

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:24:22 AM

The key aspect when they can't sell the chips is: self mining / franchising. They get the chips for free practically nothing. Selling the chips is the first priority, as it will yield as much as possible in as little time as possible. Keeping them in stock isn't very wise. So they'll be best off putting them to work for themselves.

Agreed. To further your point, I don't believe they would fabricate that many now without knowing they could sell them quickly, as why fabricate that many at a price set now, when they could fabricate them in three months for a much cheaper price.
minerpumpkin

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:45:36 AM

Agreed. To further your point, I don't believe they would fabricate that many now without knowing they could sell them quickly, as why fabricate that many at a price set now, when they could fabricate them in three months for a much cheaper price.

Ahh, well there's a flaw in your reasoning, though: Producing the chips will cost effectively the same in 3 months or even 6 or 12. A fabrication process in that size isn't prone to such drastic price decreases (compared to difficulty increase) AFAIK. So they'd best be producing as many chips as they can sell or put to use within a reasonable timeframe without parking to much liquidity in chip orders.

mikemikemike
Copper Member

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:53:20 AM

Ahh, well there's a flaw in your reasoning, though: Producing the chips will cost effectively the same in 3 months or even 6 or 12. A fabrication process in that size isn't prone to such drastic price decreases (compared to difficulty increase) AFAIK. So they'd best be producing as many chips as they can sell or put to use within a reasonable timeframe without parking to much liquidity in chip orders.

OK. but the production costs of pretty much all technologies reduces over time as improvements in manufacturing technologies and competition increases. This is pretty standard in nearly all tech related industries.

I understand what your saying, but there should be at least a 5% drop in costs minimum over three months, and given production of this size, I would have thought it would be beneficial to fabricate allot closer to delivery times.

But at the same time, my experience comes from manufacturing technologies in general, this is my first foray into chip manufacturing. Are you certain? It just doesn't mix well with what I know about the manufacturing industry, especially in the digital space.

Thanks for your critique.
rudi

Activity: 141

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:54:34 AM

Yes, it seems that gen4 will take a lot more work than gen3, but we also have no idea when work started on gen4: Maybe AM was working on gen3 and gen4 simultaneously.
It would be good to have a rough estimate for the tape-out date of gen4, since right now we have absolutely no idea. It could be in two months, or in more than a year.

How about another round of questions after the first upcoming dividend? Minerpumpkin, would you volunteer to collect and forward the questions again?
mikemikemike
Copper Member

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:00:22 PM

How about another round of questions after the first upcoming dividend? Minerpumpkin, would you volunteer to collect and forward the questions again?

Yes please. After doing my due diligence I have allot of questions.

Would be great if they just hired someone to do PR. they have more than enough revenue
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:41:07 PM

I remember that discussion. To quote myself back in the days...
I'm AM bullish, but expecting (a lot) more than 0.5 BTC divs/share for all of gen 3 is delusional these days. Looking at the competition, this is still more than fine. Prepare for 0.25 BTC divs/share and take any surplus as a nice bonus. Disclaimer: This is no trading advice, remember that I may be very wrong about this. Also, I do own shares.

yea alright.. ^^
anyho, 1 week left! Cheesy
*drumroll
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:47:07 PM

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
_mr_e
Legendary

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:49:25 PM

I have waited for this day since I bought my first stupid share at 3 btc on the way down... I scooped up more then my fair share at 0.3 to make up for it:D
BitHub

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:07:21 PM

CHRIST I'M EXCITED. Should buy my 100 shares now or wait for it to dip a lil more?
novusordo

Activity: 800
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:13:16 PM

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
minerpumpkin

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:40:49 PM

OK. but the production costs of pretty much all technologies reduces over time as improvements in manufacturing technologies and competition increases. This is pretty standard in nearly all tech related industries.

I understand what your saying, but there should be at least a 5% drop in costs minimum over three months, and given production of this size, I would have thought it would be beneficial to fabricate allot closer to delivery times.

But at the same time, my experience comes from manufacturing technologies in general, this is my first foray into chip manufacturing. Are you certain? It just doesn't mix well with what I know about the manufacturing industry, especially in the digital space.

Thanks for your critique.

I'm not an expert in IC design or similar as well, but even if we saw a 50% decrease over 3 months, we'd still see a 500% increase in mining difficulty. Even if the production cost goes down significantly, it still can't 'outrun' the difficulty increase at all. I believe FC knows best and plans accordingly Smiley

minerpumpkin

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:44:05 PM

Yeah, why not! I also believe waiting for the dividends/financial statement first is a good choice. Keep them coming, preferably via PM so I don't need to dig through pages of calculations, trains, and Gandalfs.

Would be great if they just hired someone to do PR. they have more than enough revenue

Friedcat, just give me a call Cheesy

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:04:20 PM

Hiring somebody for the PR means less dividends. Probably negligeable, but nevertheless it's important to remember that "they" is partly us.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
necro_nemesis

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 09:01:59 PM

Hiring somebody for the PR means less dividends. Probably negligeable, but nevertheless it's important to remember that "they" is partly us.

There would be no "they" without investor support in the first place.
Pages: « 1 ... 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 [966] 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: