Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:44:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 [154] 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterflylabs Huge SCAM  (Read 415624 times)
MooC Tals

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:11:18 PM

Don't tell me I should feel sorry for these people. They knew they were being scammed. How could they not. It was everywhere I mean everywhere.
TBH, I ordered and received one of their 800MH/s FPGA's back in the day in fairly short order, not having done any research on Butterfly Labs at the time after seeing their presence on these forums. They released their SC line pre-order announcement fairly soon after I took delivery of my FPGA, so I had no reason to suspect any chicanery at the time, and ordered a couple 60GHs SC's, and then a couple more in April of 2013 right before the time they raised their prices across their entire line IIRC.

... and here we are today, having learned MANY lessons along the way.
The FPGAs were not their invention. They repackaged ones from another manufacturer and sold them as their own. They were never genuine.

Yes this is so true, I have seen a post somewhere on this very forum can't remember where but as I was able to understand was the chips were a discontinued chinese brand of low quality and an overrun supply that was sitting on a shelf. According to the OP it was being sold off because they could only do one thing which was not originally for bitcoin hashing.

From what I could remember the chips were sold for around 15 to 25 bucks each I could be wrong but I do remember the reaction to this as being amazed how low it was.

This I will say, no one could have known then, how scammy this company was going to be (unless you looked into the founder who was a criminal on parole) but after the fpga's a pattern of scammery started to happen and after a while they knew they had you by the balls.

They knew everyone wanted to believe and they took advantage of that but to take it to the limit with burning in units and holding them till they were almost worthless.

BELIEVE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 11:26:27 PM

As usual, you are wrong. The idea that the FPGAs singles were made by another company is laughable. Have you ever been right about anything?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
MichaelBliss

Activity: 526

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:28:51 PM

As usual, you are wrong. The idea that the FPGAs singles were made by another company is laughable. Have you ever been right about anything?

Aren't you in jail yet?
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:24:56 AM

We're discussing the FPGA chips, Josh. Not the Singles as a consumer product hashing @ 800MHs that were shipped out under the Butterfly Labs brand. Are you being intentionally obtuse ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110805.msg1211445#msg1211445

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110805.msg1211506#msg1211506

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:29:12 AM

Gets hard to keep track of all the lies, eh?  Roll Eyes
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:43:34 AM

I've always wondered, do those ankle bracelets itch? Can you shower with it on?

Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:45:32 AM

We're discussing the FPGA chips, Josh. Not the Singles as a consumer product hashing @ 800MHs that were shipped out under the Butterfly Labs brand. Are you being intentionally obtuse ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110805.msg1211445#msg1211445

You really are a disgusting person.

Edit: To be clear, I don't mean Xian01, I mean Josh

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 01:55:33 AM

Don't tell me I should feel sorry for these people. They knew they were being scammed. How could they not. It was everywhere I mean everywhere.
TBH, I ordered and received one of their 800MH/s FPGA's back in the day in fairly short order, not having done any research on Butterfly Labs at the time after seeing their presence on these forums. They released their SC line pre-order announcement fairly soon after I took delivery of my FPGA, so I had no reason to suspect any chicanery at the time, and ordered a couple 60GHs SC's, and then a couple more in April of 2013 right before the time they raised their prices across their entire line IIRC.

... and here we are today, having learned MANY lessons along the way.
The FPGAs were not their invention. They repackaged ones from another manufacturer and sold them as their own. They were never genuine.

Huh... I guess you're wrong again.

If you want to talk about chips, the idea that the chips are somehow "knocks offs" is also ludicrous and is very telling as to the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about.  One doesn't make knock off FPGAs of that type (Since it would cost just as much to create the knock offs as the actual chips cost, duh)... but lets hypothesize for a moment and say something like that is the case.  The chips performed as specced, so what complaint do you have?  No one ever claimed they made their own FPGA chips... name one bitcoin hardware manufacturer that created their own FPGA chips in that era.

Anyway, the only one being obtuse here is you, Xian. To suggest that anyone created their own FPGA chips that were anywhere near competitive (if it even happened at all?) is completely ludicrous.  Every manufacturer used an off the shelf FPGA chip or they failed to produce a miner that was competitive.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Xian01
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:01:12 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2014, 03:39:43 AM by Xian01

tl;dr: That's what I'm saying, so good. We understand each other. Every manufacturer, including Butterfly Labs, used off-the-shelf FPGA hardware for the initial generation.

To suggest that anyone created their own FPGA chips that were anywhere near competitive (if it even happened at all?) is completely ludicrous.  Every manufacturer used an off the shelf FPGA chip or they failed to produce a miner that was competitive.

Come on Josh. You're a smart guy. I shouldn't have to spell this out for you.

To be clear, I'm suggesting you did not design or have any involvement with the fabrication of the FPGA silicon (Altera EP3SL150F780) used in your 800MHs singles (as per your post below); I'm not discussing anything about the nature of chip performance whatsoever. Programming the Altera EP3SL150F780 for SHA256 hashing, building the PCB and enclosure - sure, that's part of the Butterfly Labs branding.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitcoin-mining-make-money,3514-5.html

"In late 2011 and early 2012, innovative companies like Butterfly Labs, ZTEX in Germany, a grad student in China, and some individuals in the U.S. started offering FPGA-based mining devices. While most of these were based on the $100 Xilinx Spartan6-150 FPGA, the BFL design used an Altera FPGA, which the company sourced at a discounted price."

Very simple question. Is the statement above made in bolded text true or false ?

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 03:43:20 AM

To suggest that anyone created their own FPGA chips that were anywhere near competitive (if it even happened at all?) is completely ludicrous.  Every manufacturer used an off the shelf FPGA chip or they failed to produce a miner that was competitive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitcoin-mining-make-money,3514-5.html

"In late 2011 and early 2012, innovative companies like Butterfly Labs, ZTEX in Germany, a grad student in China, and some individuals in the U.S. started offering FPGA-based mining devices. While most of these were based on the $100 Xilinx Spartan6-150 FPGA, the BFL design used an Altera FPGA, which the company sourced at a discounted price."

Very simple question. Is the statement above made in bolded text true or false ?

To be clear, I'm suggesting you did not design or have any involvement with the fabrication of the FPGA silicon (Altera EP3SL150F780) used in your 800MHs singles (as per your post below); I'm not discussing anything about the nature of chip performance whatsoever. Programming the Altera EP3SL150F780 for SHA256 hashing, building the PCB and enclosure - sure, that's part of the Butterfly Labs branding.

Come on Josh. You're a smart guy. I shouldn't have to spell this out for you.

True or False ?

Of course we had nothing to do with the design of the Altera chip, are you insane?  I never claimed we did. But chuckle head up there claimed that we repackaged miners from someone else... then chuckle nuts MooCTals chimed in with his special brand of stupid, showing that he knows nothing about what he's talking about and claims that we somehow used knock off chips from China that "were not genuine," which is a ludicrous statement.

Xian, I'd say "come on you're a smart guy, I shouldn't have to lead you around by the nose so you can follow a conversation," but the reality is that you've shown time and again you are either intentionally obtuse (to use your verbiage) or you're just slow (IE not a smart guy) and have difficulty following a conversation that involves multiple parties and not just yourself. 

So, now that I've lead you around like a dog through the conversation, are you able to follow along at home or do you need more hand holding through this process?

Xian01
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:56:41 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2014, 01:05:53 PM by Xian01

Thank you for answering the question in your usual bloviating fashion.

No, I'm not insane, but many of us genuinely do worry about your mental well-being. Don't take my word for it. Search these forums yourself. Psychopathy, being the general community consensus of a diagnosis for you. Narcissistic personality disorder being the runner-up.

"The FPGAs were not their invention. They repackaged ones from another manufacturer and sold them as their own" - This is a factual statement no matter how you try to rationalize a rebuttal. Butterfly Labs repackaged Altera FPGA's into their own 800 MHs Bitforce Single products. At the time, customers (raises hand) were led to believe that their verbiage of "manufacturing a line of high speed encryption processors" suggested that they manufactured the FPGA silicon ("encryption processors")

http://web.archive.org/web/20120424005628/http://www.butterflylabs.com/

"Butterfly Labs manufactures a line of high speed encryption processors for use in research, telecommunication and security applications."

... is disingenuous (again, par for course at Butterfly Labs) as you did not manufacture the processors (by your own admission), but merely the software, controller, I/O, power supply and packaging. The encryption processor was manufactured by Altera.

"To suggest that anyone created their own FPGA chips that were anywhere near competitive (if it even happened at all?) is completely ludicrous" - So, it's a good thing you didn't manufacture the FPGA chips then and relied on Altera's instead, benefitting from their competitive nature - Something you guys had zero to do with beyond programming the chip.

But anyway, your petty jabs and insults aside, I hope you can forgive me laughing off your false bravado after everything that has come to light recently, your lies revealed for all the world to see, while you so desperately and pathetically try to maintain the charade of nobility and importance. I don't know what has happened in life to make you into this truly wretched creature that haunts our planet, and the sooner you and the rest of your Butterfly Labs grifting charlatans are removed from the general population and prosecuted to the furthest extent the law allows, the sooner everyone you have harmed can begin the healing process.

It's your epic douchebaggery and hubris that has landed you in the situation you and your cronies find yourselves in today. By far, you and Jody have been responsible for the worst customer experience of my lifetime (and hey, I'm not the only one... the FTC finally acted on the thousands of complaints)

Remember Josh. You brought this all on yourselves. Don't blame us for your faults, and don't blame us for your misinterpretation, ignorance, and dismissal of lawful ways of conducting business in this country, resulting in uscourts.mowd.117531.

Speaking of "process" and "ludicrous statements", I'll just leave this here again so our readers might be brought up to date.

Have a nice week at the office honey.

Good luck with http://ia902308.us.archive.org/32/items/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531.81.0.pdf !
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:26:36 AM

Aren't you in jail yet?

Dude, don't be penning shit like that when I have a mouthful of coffee. Now I have a mess to clean up.  Cry
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:32:52 AM

Let's play the Juxtapose Game:

MooC Tals

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:43:52 AM

Whats wrong?

I hope you're not under the impression anyone here would still believe anything you would have to say.

By all mean this is an open forum. Unless you're trying to drum up more traffic to your business website.

Xian01
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 05:55:42 AM

By all mean this is an open forum. Unless you're trying to drum up more traffic to your business website.
I just want to know what his plans are for life after Butterfly Labs. I mean the dude wrote the book on career suicide in the internet age, so it's going to be quite the interesting case-study.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 06:08:29 AM

Of course we had nothing to do with the design of the Altera chip, are you insane?  I never claimed we did.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111001053714/http://butterflylabs.com/

Butterfly Labs manufactures a line of high speed encryption processors

I'll give you a pass because this was a BFL lie before you were hired, but BFL definitely lied about "manufacturing" the processor which they did not do.

Buy & Hold
MooC Tals

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 06:19:06 AM

I just want to know what his plans are for life after Butterfly Labs. I mean the dude wrote the book on career suicide in the internet age, so it's going to be quite the interesting case-study.

President of the United States of America? or Politics in general.
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 01:57:52 PM

If Inaba were not such an ass the FTC would never have shown up.  I, for one, made a complaint to the FTC even though I've never purchases anything from the company.  I did that, specifically, because Inaba is an ass.

Think about that while you're in prison douchebag.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 02:00:15 PM

If Inaba were not such an ass the FTC would never have shown up.  I, for one, made a complaint to the FTC even though I've never purchases anything from the company.  I did that, specifically, because Inaba is an ass.

Think about that while you're in prison douchebag.

Nice!  Just quoting this so you can't remove it later. Smiley  Thanks for admitting it.  "I made a complaint to the FTC because someone was mean on the internet!" LOL!

Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:08:09 PM

Nice!  Just quoting this so you can't remove it later. Smiley  Thanks for admitting it.  "I made a complaint to the FTC because someone was mean on the internet!" LOL!

I have no intention of removing the comment, I'm getting it printed on a t-shirt:

"I helped send Inaba to prison".

Pages: « 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 [154] 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 »
  Print  

Jump to: