April 23, 2024, 09:53:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 25814 25815 25816 25817 25818 25819 25820 25821 25822 25823 25824 25825 25826 25827 25828 25829 25830 25831 25832 25833 25834 25835 25836 25837 25838 25839 25840 25841 25842 25843 25844 25845 25846 25847 25848 25849 25850 25851 25852 25853 25854 25855 25856 25857 25858 25859 25860 25861 25862 25863 [25864] 25865 25866 25867 25868 25869 25870 25871 25872 25873 25874 25875 25876 25877 25878 25879 25880 25881 25882 25883 25884 25885 25886 25887 25888 25889 25890 25891 25892 25893 25894 25895 25896 25897 25898 25899 25900 25901 25902 25903 25904 25905 25906 25907 25908 25909 25910 25911 25912 25913 25914 ... 33296 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26366901 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 07:08:27 PM

BEG, borrow or steal
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 07:15:42 PM

How can mounting a USB stick on an AutoRun-disabled VM affect your host's BIOS? Honest question, I want to know.
Don’t lost track of the fact that USB is an acronym for Universal Serial Bus. That device could contain any number of USB endpoints, each implementing a different device class. What if one of the endpoints identifies as a Human Interface Device — for example a keyboard — and injects a number of commands to the system? From the users perspective, invisibly. Or even deeper, a bridge device, giving it access to the underlying I2C bus - maybe even the SMB?
Yeah, but who is going to maintain the discipline required to ensure any potential infection does not spread from the separate PC to others in your stable?

There is the Yubikey which types for you like a USB keyboard. There is that Rubber Ducky, which types like a USB keyboard and can type like it was there at 100 words per second or something as fast as a keyboard will accept, such as Windows-R, CMD, and do any number of commands from the command prompt.

https://shop.hak5.org/products/usb-rubber-ducky-deluxe

As for virgin clean PC's, I used to (and still do) use something called Deep Freeze, reboot to restore thing. If the host computer it's installed on gets infected, before it can propagate any problems to the rest of the network (assuming you disconnected it physically from the rest of the network), you just reboot, and it's back as new, as if it was never updated.

Most malware is unaware of it's existence. It's great for setting up kiosks that provide internet access through regular browsers. At the end of the session, reboot, it's back to the way it was. If you need to update anything, reboot, turn it off, update, reboot, and it will stay that way.

In theory, it can still be hacked, but in practice it's as if the whole computer is one giant VM. Reboot, and it's back to the way it was yesterday.

If you need to save data or files or documents, you save them on a different drive or partition or folder designated as such. But the rest of the OS, reboot, and it goes back to the way it was.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2020, 07:16:09 PM
Merited by AlcoHoDL (1)

is the bear back from the woods?  Roll Eyes

in times like this I constantly watching these two videos in rotation:

1. Toby Ganger + Decap - Welcome To The Blockchain (for me in desperate mood)

2. Remy: Bitcoin Billionaire (for me in shit-free mood)
cygan
Legendary

Activity: 3136
Merit: 7675

Cashback 15%

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2020, 07:18:11 PM

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-clings-to-9k-as-trader-warns-200-dma-loss-significant-issue,
 Roll Eyes
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2993

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 07:26:56 PM
Merited by xhomerx10 (1)

Hard to get some beans, noodles and rice already.

Came home and i saw that i already advanced to Jr. Member!!! ...again  Roll Eyes
Again?

This is mainly for VB1001:

I'm just going to eat McDonald's food if there's a crisis.  No bacteria or virus can live in that stuff anyway and the probability of dying from SARS-2 is likely higher than the probability of dying from eating only McDonald's food for a few weeks.  As an added bonus, there won't be a queue.

Uh, oh, no... Sorry, bro!
According to a testing from last year, the bacterial and fungal density, count and variety of the bottom side of the grips on McDonald's trays are higher than on their toilet seats!
No joke, mister. You probably get in contact with SARS-CoV-2 from an asymptomatic carrier this way, either directly or indirectly via the wiping cloths that do not get exchanged for several days. You're better off by getting their "food" through the McDrive instead.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 2895

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 07:29:07 PM
Merited by El duderino_ (5), JayJuanGee (1)

I'm buying like crazy. My DCA schedule got on sort of a quick track. The main thing, as some absent peep would point out, is making sure I don't run out of dry powder should the need for a big shot arise. So I got a few more sats today - couldn't resist placing a couple limit orders in this area, and both triggered - and I will keep at this.

However, as the same absent peep would suggest, I've got an emergency stash. It amounts to ~40% of the fiat I'd allocated for Q1. You bears want to try your hands at the high 7k's? Even lower? Go for it, I'm ready.

El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 11985

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 07:33:08 PM

Me an total unaffected HODLer... though the 10.5K to 8.6K-ish in a few days is a decent drop... Still why? I only have one answer---> Normal BTC market behavior, n00bs better get used to it, if one can appreciate a HUGE pump, then the same peep should be aware there are some decent drops as well!
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 4133

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 07:34:25 PM

is the bear back from the woods?  Roll Eyes

in times like this I constantly watching these two videos in rotation:

1. Toby Ganger + Decap - Welcome To The Blockchain (for me in desperate mood)

2. Remy: Bitcoin Billionaire (for me in shit-free mood)

The 1st I haven't heard yet.

The 2nd is epic. Smartest and most hilarious lyrics on a Bitcoin song I've ever heard.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 2895

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 07:37:16 PM

Right, it’s low enough now. Logging onto laptop to buy 0.5BTC.

Thank you for your service.

I’ve bought 4 BTC so far this week. Because incremental ladder trading.

Wow, 4 whole coins this week. You wrote btc - as in bitcoin, with no other qualifiers. If I got it right, there goes a little haiku for you.

That's just, like, you know
five days and a weekend, man
Congratulations!

OutOfMemory
Legendary

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 07:40:12 PM

How can mounting a USB stick on an AutoRun-disabled VM affect your host's BIOS? Honest question, I want to know.
Don’t lost track of the fact that USB is an acronym for Universal Serial Bus. That device could contain any number of USB endpoints, each implementing a different device class. What if one of the endpoints identifies as a Human Interface Device — for example a keyboard — and injects a number of commands to the system? From the users perspective, invisibly. Or even deeper, a bridge device, giving it access to the underlying I2C bus - maybe even the SMB?
Yeah, but who is going to maintain the discipline required to ensure any potential infection does not spread from the separate PC to others in your stable?

There is the Yubikey which types for you like a USB keyboard. There is that Rubber Ducky, which types like a USB keyboard and can type like it was there at 100 words per second or something as fast as a keyboard will accept, such as Windows-R, CMD, and do any number of commands from the command prompt.

As for virgin clean PC's, I used to (and still do) use something called Deep Freeze, reboot to restore thing. If the host computer it's installed on gets infected, before it can propagate any problems to the rest of the network (assuming you disconnected it physically from the rest of the network), you just reboot, and it's back as new, as if it was never updated.

Most malware is unaware of it's existence. It's great for setting up kiosks that provide internet access through regular browsers. At the end of the session, reboot, it's back to the way it was. If you need to update anything, reboot, turn it off, update, reboot, and it will stay that way.

In theory, it can still be hacked, but in practice it's as if the whole computer is one giant VM. Reboot, and it's back to the way it was yesterday.

If you need to save data or files or documents, you save them on a different drive or partition or folder designated as such. But the rest of the OS, reboot, and it goes back to the way it was.

Most linux distributions can be run on read-only filesystems (same as from cd) BUT the only true security hole is running them as root, because volumes can be remounted in rw mode on the fly. I'm using this strategy on my raspberryPi that is running the game console emulators for the kids. They don't do no shutdown, they just pull the plug/wallwart. Roms are stored on etx4 USB, mounted read-only. This one is just mounted in rw mode on the PC, to manage the roms and emulator binaries.

Just make sure you run linux as unprivileged user. Privilege escalation is a thing though, but unlikely on patched systems. However, when you're not connected to the net, i doubt there is a fair chance of catching a successful exploit via USB.
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2020, 07:45:42 PM

other good stuff:

BTFD - "Buy The F*#!ING Dip" (Official Music Video)

Coin Bros "THE MCAFEE EFFECT" (Official Music Video)

Grin Grin
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 07:48:10 PM

I recall reading an article where they made a 'flash drive' act like an ethernet adapter and would intercept all internet traffic for a man-in-the-middle attack.
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2020, 07:55:14 PM

Bitstamp ADL    8,627.78 USD   
(source: Bitstamp API)
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2020, 07:58:41 PM

[meme] BTC give me my life back, pls! [/meme]
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 08:03:33 PM

Does your ‘reboot’ re-flash the BIOS with a known-good image? Probably not. Even if so, what ensures that supposedly ‘known-good’ image has not itself been corrupted by the malware?

Again. There is NO perfect security.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 08:12:51 PM

Right, it’s low enough now. Logging onto laptop to buy 0.5BTC.

Thank you for your service.

I’ve bought 4 BTC so far this week. Because incremental ladder trading.

Wow, 4 whole coins this week. You wrote btc - as in bitcoin, with no other qualifiers. If I got it right, there goes a little haiku for you.

That's just, like, you know
five days and a weekend, man
Congratulations!

Yes, BTC.

Just buying back the coins I sold (for more USD) on the way up. Incremental laddered standing orders FTW.
machasm

Activity: 784
Merit: 796

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 08:14:39 PM

Bought another 0.1 BTC on this dip.
Spent more than I originally planned this week already.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 08:15:41 PM

Most linux distributions can be run on read-only filesystems (same as from cd) BUT the only true security hole is running them as root, because volumes can be remounted in rw mode on the fly. I'm using this strategy on my raspberryPi that is running the game console emulators for the kids. They don't do no shutdown, they just pull the plug/wallwart. Roms are stored on etx4 USB, mounted read-only. This one is just mounted in rw mode on the PC, to manage the roms and emulator binaries.

Just make sure you run linux as unprivileged user. Privilege escalation is a thing though, but unlikely on patched systems. However, when you're not connected to the net, i doubt there is a fair chance of catching a successful exploit via USB.

Again, your postulated security described above is utterly dependent upon the rando USB device implementing only a storage class endpoint.

Whatevs. Good luck with that.
soxxx

Activity: 256
Merit: 62

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 08:18:04 PM

Bitcoin cant close the day below the 200 Day moving average. Its currently at $8794.

If we close above it, it would be pretty bullish.
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 08:35:54 PM

Again, your postulated security described above is utterly dependent upon the rando USB device implementing only a storage class endpoint.

Whatevs. Good luck with that.

I would care less if i am running as unpriv. user on a system that is not network connected. I didn't mention that i'd never use a host with actual user data on it. I thought that would be clear because i was replying to Dabs' "frozen sysimage" approach. I would definitely not use a guest VM but a dedicated box that i can reset via dd or similar disc imaging tools, i wasn't clear on that, as i just recognize while typing this.
And yes, it's part of the very basics: there is no 100% security, only 100% security against certain (and therefor known) attack vectors.
Pages: « 1 ... 25814 25815 25816 25817 25818 25819 25820 25821 25822 25823 25824 25825 25826 25827 25828 25829 25830 25831 25832 25833 25834 25835 25836 25837 25838 25839 25840 25841 25842 25843 25844 25845 25846 25847 25848 25849 25850 25851 25852 25853 25854 25855 25856 25857 25858 25859 25860 25861 25862 25863 [25864] 25865 25866 25867 25868 25869 25870 25871 25872 25873 25874 25875 25876 25877 25878 25879 25880 25881 25882 25883 25884 25885 25886 25887 25888 25889 25890 25891 25892 25893 25894 25895 25896 25897 25898 25899 25900 25901 25902 25903 25904 25905 25906 25907 25908 25909 25910 25911 25912 25913 25914 ... 33296 »
  Print  

Jump to: