Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:06:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OS] nvOC easy-to-use Linux Nvidia Mining  (Read 417955 times)
Arek

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 11:21:19 AM

I've switched from win10 to nvOC as I was heaving issues with windows hanging from time to time and I have couple questions:

1. I have 3 1060 from different manufacturers and when I set power limit to anything from 70W to 84W it works on 2 of them but the third one, which is palit, is running always at 94W and it won't get lower, is this something limited by cards bios?
2. In windows with latest drivers I'm getting 22.5-22.8 Mhs in eth per gtx1060 using Claymores miner but in nvOS I'm getting 21Mhs with exactly same settings (core +120, memory +700, PL 84W) Is this typical for eth because of how Claymore wrote his miner for linux or simply I should look for different settings because of OS/driver differences?

nvidia-smi -i 0 --query-gpu=power.min_limit,power.max_limit --format=csv
where -i "number" is the gpu you want to query
regarding second question, I am also seeing discrepancies, try higher overclock or higher PL
also, go for 378 driver!

I have 378 driver already installed and the command provided returns 60W for minimum power limit and 140W for max
here is the screen from nvidia-smi command showing all gpus with low power limit set:
https://ibb.co/hUHMLv
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 11:33:49 AM

I've switched from win10 to nvOC as I was heaving issues with windows hanging from time to time and I have couple questions:

1. I have 3 1060 from different manufacturers and when I set power limit to anything from 70W to 84W it works on 2 of them but the third one, which is palit, is running always at 94W and it won't get lower, is this something limited by cards bios?
2. In windows with latest drivers I'm getting 22.5-22.8 Mhs in eth per gtx1060 using Claymores miner but in nvOS I'm getting 21Mhs with exactly same settings (core +120, memory +700, PL 84W) Is this typical for eth because of how Claymore wrote his miner for linux or simply I should look for different settings because of OS/driver differences?

regarding second question, I am also seeing discrepancies, try higher overclock or higher PL
also, go for 378 driver!

I have 378 driver already installed and the command provided returns 60W for minimum power limit and 140W for max
here is the screen from nvidia-smi command showing all gpus with low power limit set:

When comparing power consumption; even within the same OS the software is not accurate.  With some brands the information from Nvidia-smi is almost correct, with others it is very off. 

When comparing Afterburner settings from windows with linux powerlimits; you need to know the TDP of the card you are using.  This varies by manufacturer and the specific card model.  Afterburner uses percent TDP while linux powerlimits are implemented in watts.  The 1060 3gb I have have a TDP of 120 watts.  Thus 84 % of 120 is 100.8 watts: this would be the linux powerlimit equivalent of a windows afterburner powerlimit setting of 84.

To have accurate comparisons you really need to have a device such as a kill-a-watt, that will measure the power-at-the-wall.  Tell me if a 101 watt powerlimit in linux produces similar hashrates.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 11:41:25 AM

Reflash did the trick

One last thing

When setting the fan it seems to only affect gpu0? The other gpu's dont spin as fast

When oneBash starts up do you see OC and fan speed messages? 

You should see messages for cards 0 thru 2 for 3 cards, if they are being recognized properly. 

If you are not: it means the pci addressing is different on your motherboard than on the z270-a pro and you will need to edit the xorg.conf file:

press f12 to open the guake terminal

If cpuminer-opt is running rightclick over the guake terminal and select new tab or press ctrl + c to stop it.

then enter:

lspci | grep VGA

this will list your gpus and their pcie addresses

then enter:

gksu gedit '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

and enter the password:

miner1

when prompted

gedit should now be open with root access to the xorg.conf file

Find the Device section and alter the

BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"

on each Device to match the addressing from lspci (only change the numbers)

save

close all mining processes if open

logout

login, and all cards (up to 6x) should now OC if you did this correctly.

flminer

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 11:42:55 AM

Am thinking of switching a couple rigs to nvoc. Is there a web based remote management set up yet? Or is it still set up so you have to be there to make any changes or reset? Thanks
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 12:22:03 PM

Am thinking of switching a couple rigs to nvoc. Is there a web based remote management set up yet? Or is it still set up so you have to be there to make any changes or reset? Thanks

I plan on making a lan management monitor / push / update app.  It is second on my member requested list after improving amdOC beta.

Currently stand alone; but is 16.04 based so you can setup remote access using software or application layer protocol of your choice.

flminer

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 12:38:22 PM

I plan on making a lan management monitor / push / update app.  It is second on my member requested list after improving amdOC beta.

Currently stand alone; but is 16.04 based so you can setup remote access using software or application layer protocol of your choice.

Last time I played with linux at all was 1989 and that wasn't much. So I seriously doubt I could do anything but screw it up trying to set anything up!  Wink
Arek

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 03:57:07 AM

also, go for 378 driver!

When comparing power consumption; even within the same OS the software is not accurate.  With some brands the information from Nvidia-smi is almost correct, with others it is very off. 

When comparing Afterburner settings from windows with linux powerlimits; you need to know the TDP of the card you are using.  This varies by manufacturer and the specific card model.  Afterburner uses percent TDP while linux powerlimits are implemented in watts.  The 1060 3gb I have have a TDP of 120 watts.  Thus 84 % of 120 is 100.8 watts: this would be the linux powerlimit equivalent of a windows afterburner powerlimit setting of 84.

To have accurate comparisons you really need to have a device such as a kill-a-watt, that will measure the power-at-the-wall.  Tell me if a 101 watt powerlimit in linux produces similar hashrates.

I have the rig connected to smart plug which shows power usage and all my cards have 120W TDP. In AB I set all cards to 70% which gives me 84W per card + efficiency of PSU and setting 84W in linux produces ~10W more for entire rig power consumption.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 04:04:14 AM

also, go for 378 driver!

I have the rig connected to smart plug which shows power usage and all my cards have 120W TDP. In AB I set all cards to 70% which gives me 84W per card + efficiency of PSU and setting 84W in linux produces ~10W more for entire rig power consumption.

If you set the linux power limit so that the actual power-at-the-wall matches what it is with windows; how do the hashrates compare?

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 04:21:49 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2017, 04:09:27 PM by fullzero

I added a fully compatible nvOC image for the ASUS PRIME Z270-A Motherboard with 1x m2_to_pcie_adapter (total 9x cards: note all cards OC with this image) Grin

The SHA256 hash (for the zip) is:
58da134925d64f01ecd9a9cbbd803936a01361a38ee23770542215815eaea690

ASUS PRIME Z270-A (in stock, up to 8x gpu (all OC) Link

nvOC is for fast 16gb or larger USB keys only: I highly recommend using this 16gb one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S5V5PMY

This image includes plusCPU setting to enable cpuminer-opt to mine XMR while mining another COIN with the GPUs.

This image has the newest oneBash supporting these COIN selections:

ZEC   ZCL   FTC   LBC   MUSIC   ETC   EXP   ETH   DCR   PASC
DUAL_ETC_DCR       DUAL_ETC_PASC        DUAL_ETC_LBC         DUAL_ETC_SC
DUAL_EXP_DCR       DUAL_EXP_PASC        DUAL_EXP_LBC         DUAL_EXP_SC
DUAL_ETH_DCR       DUAL_ETH_PASC        DUAL_ETH_LBC        DUAL_ETH_SC
DUAL_MUSIC_DCR   DUAL_MUSIC_PASC    DUAL_MUSIC_LBC    DUAL_MUSIC_SC

cpuminer-opt is compiled for several different CPUs in this image.  I built this image with a G4560 CPU.  

This motherboard requires the following bios changes before it will work correctly with nvOC:

ensure 'Above 4G Decoding' is enabled in the bios.

ensure PTP aware OS: is set to 'Not PTP Aware' in the bios.

ensure you 'Clear Secure Boot Keys' in the bios

Please note that this image will OC 9x GPUs, and can be used without 2x m2 adapters to OC 7x GPUs.  I will renew other images to support OC for all pcie slots; and there may be some monster rig builds in the future.   Wink

Arek

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 04:52:10 AM

also, go for 378 driver!

If you set the linux power limit so that the actual power-at-the-wall matches what it is with windows; how do the hashrates compare?

It's around 1.5Mhs lower in linux per card (22.5Mhs in windows vs 21Mhs in linux)
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 05:19:10 AM

also, go for 378 driver!

It's around 1.5Mhs lower in linux per card (22.5Mhs in windows vs 21Mhs in linux)

Good to know.  Is linux still stable if you increase the memory to +900?  Any better hashrate?

citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:27:46 AM

anyone has good settings for core/mem in onebash for 1070 and 1080ti

I have tried many settings with various results but tdp seems to be inconsistent.

3 x Zotac 1070 Mini around 439w from the wall, ZEC 1132sols at stock settings, no changes in onebash settings

is this expected?

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 03:36:15 PM

I have tried many settings with various results but tdp seems to be inconsistent.

3 x Zotac 1070 Mini around 439w from the wall, ZEC 1132sols at stock settings, no changes in onebash settings

is this expected?

It seems like there is a powerlimit of 125 with those results.  377 Sol/s is way too low for stock power, even without OC.

Note: once you have used a powerlimit at all since boot it will not turn off, until you reboot or logout: it can only be modified. Thus to return to stock TDP you would use a powerlimit of 150, or reboot/logout/in.

In EWBF the pec output will accurately tell you how much power the cards are currently using, look that and see if they likely are using a powerlimit.

Currently with the good ZEC returns; I am using cc+200 mc+900 powerlimit 135 with my zotac 1070 mini rigs.

With my 1080tis I am currently using cc+100 mc+900 powerlimit 225.

Edit: also using manual fans with 75% speed.

eli_lyd1

Activity: 422
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 04:30:31 PM

I want to set my own os, but failed:

I run :

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1

but failed:

ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings --help` for usage information.

Anyone know?
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 04:46:32 PM

is this expected?

It seems like there is a powerlimit of 125 with those results.  377 Sol/s is way too low for stock power, even without OC.

Note: once you have used a powerlimit at all since boot it will not turn off, until you reboot or logout: it can only be modified. Thus to return to stock TDP you would use a powerlimit of 150, or reboot/logout/in.

In EWBF the pec output will accurately tell you how much power the cards are currently using, look that and see if they likely are using a powerlimit.

Currently with the good ZEC returns; I am using cc+200 mc+900 powerlimit 135 with my zotac 1070 mini rigs.

With my 1080tis I am currently using cc+100 mc+900 powerlimit 225.

Edit: also using manual fans with 75% speed.

thanks fullzero - I am in process of setting the rigs up and running stock at the moment.

I cranked up the Gigabyte Auros 1080tis using your settings -- I see 770-780 sols per card at 310-315watts per card.

I was too ambitious in getting a 5 x 1080tis on a single rig -- however I am getting dual server psu/pico/bb to get this monster up to about 4500 sols per rig -- otherwise; 3 x 1080tis per rig probably be safer and cooler.

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
LTCbusiness

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:34:01 PM

Thank you so much for your help, here is the LSPCI

m1@m1-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 5902 (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
08:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)

And here is the xorg.conf

This xorg.conf is missing large amounts of needed settings.  I think I know what the problem is / happened.  The image I made needs to NOT be using integrated graphics.

You have integrated graphics enabled in the bios or have attached a monitor to the video output on the mobo and forced an auto configuration on the mobo to start the integrated graphics.  This caused the system to create a new xorg.conf file which lacks almost all the needed changes.  Technically the one needed should be stored as the backup, but fixing this image will probably take longer than the following:

How is your monitor connected to your rig?  

If it is not attached to the second GPU please attach it there.

Then shutdown your rig.  

Unplug the usb key.  

Power on the rig, bios should post.  

Restore defaults to the bios, it should need to restart to do this.  

When it has rebooted with default configurations, make these three bios changes here and no others:

save and reboot

Now reimage your USB key with the ASUS PRIME Z270-A image.

when it is done, attach to rig and press ctrl + alt + delete to reboot

When ubuntu starts up watch the gnome terminal and see if OC occurs correctly.  I think it will if you follow the previous steps.

If it doesn't: open the guake terminal and enter:

lspci | grep VGA

and post what it says.

If it does work also let me know.  

Edit:  note when 7 cards are connected the monitor will display all black while booting; but will display normally once ubuntu starts.

So I followed your instruction and it is working well now, just 1 problem, although the busid match 100% with other cards, onebash only recognize Gpu 0 (the one with hdmi cable plug to monitor), and only oc that card, for the remain 5 card i need to do it manually with nvidia x server app.

For the oc value. I am using galax 1080ti, each time i try to oc it with cc200 mc >600, the system is almost crashed, sometimes the card not respone. I am using powerlimit 200, should I pl 125 as you do and oc 200-900? I may try it tomorrow since I am testing the stable of the system with the current oc value 150/450 before I go to sleep.

And one more thing, the usb os is kind of quite slow, do you plan to make the os for ssd in the future? I see th e system quite laggy at the start, not sure if it can handle the 7 cards running in the long run, like 1 months continuesly.

I really thank you for your os and your support for my problem, you are the real hero, man.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 11:31:17 PM

I want to set my own os, but failed:

I run :

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1

but failed:

ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings --help` for usage information.

Anyone know?

Take at look at this:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1854250.msg18742952#msg18742952

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 11:41:04 PM

Thank you so much for your help, here is the LSPCI

m1@m1-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 5902 (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
08:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)
09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)

And here is the xorg.conf

This xorg.conf is missing large amounts of needed settings.  I think I know what the problem is / happened.  The image I made needs to NOT be using integrated graphics.

You have integrated graphics enabled in the bios or have attached a monitor to the video output on the mobo and forced an auto configuration on the mobo to start the integrated graphics.  This caused the system to create a new xorg.conf file which lacks almost all the needed changes.  Technically the one needed should be stored as the backup, but fixing this image will probably take longer than the following:

How is your monitor connected to your rig?  

If it is not attached to the second GPU please attach it there.

Then shutdown your rig.  

Unplug the usb key.  

Power on the rig, bios should post.  

Restore defaults to the bios, it should need to restart to do this.  

When it has rebooted with default configurations, make these three bios changes here and no others:

save and reboot

Now reimage your USB key with the ASUS PRIME Z270-A image.

when it is done, attach to rig and press ctrl + alt + delete to reboot

When ubuntu starts up watch the gnome terminal and see if OC occurs correctly.  I think it will if you follow the previous steps.

If it doesn't: open the guake terminal and enter:

lspci | grep VGA

and post what it says.

If it does work also let me know.  

Edit:  note when 7 cards are connected the monitor will display all black while booting; but will display normally once ubuntu starts.

So I followed your instruction and it is working well now, just 1 problem, although the busid match 100% with other cards, onebash only recognize Gpu 0 (the one with hdmi cable plug to monitor), and only oc that card, for the remain 5 card i need to do it manually with nvidia x server app.

For the oc value. I am using galax 1080ti, each time i try to oc it with cc200 mc >600, the system is almost crashed, sometimes the card not respone. I am using powerlimit 200, should I pl 125 as you do and oc 200-900? I may try it tomorrow since I am testing the stable of the system with the current oc value 150/450 before I go to sleep.

And one more thing, the usb os is kind of quite slow, do you plan to make the os for ssd in the future? I see th e system quite laggy at the start, not sure if it can handle the 7 cards running in the long run, like 1 months continuesly.

I really thank you for your os and your support for my problem, you are the real hero, man.

1st I wouldn't use higher than a +150cc; +200cc is not stable with a 1080ti.  Even +150cc has some stability issues long term.  So I use +100cc and +900mc.  Powerlimit 200 is a good balance between power consumption and hash/s; but you many want to use a higher one if you have cheap power.

Also I highly recommend using manual fans with a very high percent speed with 1080tis; this will make them a lot more stable.

If oneBash is only OCing one card, but you can manually use the commands to OC the others, then there are still conflicts within the system.  These are most likely causing your system to have degraded performance.  I will restore ssd support in a later version as it has already been requested.  

Please post what is output by:

lspci | grep VGA

funnyboy027

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 01:21:10 AM

How many sols you get with this setting +100cc +900mc 200mv for 1080ti
I currently using +100cc +400cc and get 650 sol, can't increase to +900mc same as yours
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 02:34:41 AM

How many sols you get with this setting +100cc +900mc 200mv for 1080ti
I currently using +100cc +400cc and get 650 sol, can't increase to +900mc same as yours

What OS are you using?

Note in these photos GPU 0 is an EVGA 1080ti SC and GPU 1 is a Reference EVGA 1080ti; look at the difference in temps and you will understand why its better to go with the After Market models.

Also these have active cooling, 1x server fan behind each card.  I get risers and server fans from: hawkfish007

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 417 »
  Print  

Jump to: