Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:28:17 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... 352 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DNotes 2.0 - Staking, CRISP Interest, DNotes Pay  (Read 148798 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 11:59:51 AM

All, here is the DNotes 2.0 repository on GitHub:
https://github.com/DNotesCoin/DNotes-2.0

We will update daily and I will be sending screen shots of the front end on the next update.

Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 12:16:36 PM

All, here is the DNotes 2.0 repository on GitHub:
https://github.com/DNotesCoin/DNotes-2.0

We will update daily and I will be sending screen shots of the front end on the next update.

Thank you, Joe. As always, we appreciate comments, suggestions, and technical contributions from our community and interested parties. We are planning to expand our development team significantly in 2018. Get to know us early, if you are interested to get involved. We are at the beginning of a very exciting journey for DNotes. Check out our road-map HERE:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1924858.0
BTCWise

Activity: 267
Merit: 13

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 01:19:21 PM

Got the files back from BTCWise and updated the channel. Looks great and thanks again!

Hi guys, thanks for the opportunity. I am glad you guys liked my designs. Keep up the awesome work  Wink

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 01:56:43 PM

Japan’s FSA to Put Country’s Crypto Exchanges Under ‘Full Surveillance’

https://dcebrief.com/japans-fsa-to-put-countrys-crypto-exchanges-under-full-surveillance/

This could well be a wise move going forward to prevent the many exchange collapses and resulting customers funds we've seen lost over time re: mintpal, moolah, cryptsy etc.
Running "30 FSA and finance bureau experts" will not be cheap either, so I imagine the Japanese government believes they'll get a return on this investment for their country and its population. It makes sense to provide a safer environment if you want your population to invest in cryptocurrencies. This to me indicates that Japan sees it as a potential for increasing the populations wealth.

I guess the flipside to this is concern that an attack on a poorly run exchange could lead to the investments of Japanese funds being stolen and removed from the country. Both considerations indicate yet again, that as the market capitalisation of cryptocurrencies increases, governments are not just taking it seriously, their investing in staff and departments to manage it.

I wonder if having monitored and secure exchanges will give these businesses a more dependable reputation which will then attract foreign investment through them. This government sponsored security could lead to increased international business for Japanese exchanges.

I think another potential major bonus of this move could be the safer light that large hedge funds and professional traders with large amounts of money to play with will view investments in BTC, with a larger offering of crypto trading products available - ETF and even pension fund investments. When these types of investors begin to take an interest in a new market, it could be a signal that government will by necessity need to take a relatively friendly view towards cryptocurrency markets. Say a Japanese pension fund invested 100m into Bitcoin, the interests of the BTC community, and the Japanese government / people become aligned.

Great discussion and thanks for your inputs. News from the mainstream media can get quite confusing for early stage technologies like bitcoin and digital currencies. For a period it was "All Clear" and the price of Bitcoin broke through the $5,000 mark. And the next thing - ICOs were not so legal,  China shutting down their crypto exchanges, and JP Morgan Chase CEO, Jamie Dimon calling Bitcoin a "fraud" and suggested that the government will shut it down should it become very successful.

This is my take. Digital currencies is here to stay and we are at the very early stage of the greatest technology revolution since the internet. There is massive room for sustained growth and no single government or a group of nations can stop it. More importantly, they wouldn't because of the opportunity cost. With very few exceptions, nations around the world are broke; whenever there is money, politicians will figure out how to reach out and grab some, instead of letting it get away.

Having said that, our industry has issues to be resolved. Among them, there must be reasonable level of consumer protection and crypto exchanges must have the fiduciary duties to protect their customers' asset. Perhaps the biggest challenge of all is building intrinsic value and price stability. DNotes is committed to address all these challenges and more. We began by taking a different path since day one. This is a long dedicated journey that demands many great strategic moves executed at the right time.  
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 04:42:09 PM

Wow - fantastic post on Steemit. Thank you cryptospooge, you made my day!

Discovering DNotes - Under the Radar? Probably Not For Long

Earlier this year, while researching a curious experiment to fund a retirement with earnings from cryptocoin faucets, I came across a coin that has grabbed my attention. I didn't know it at the time, but DNotes would quickly become my second largest crypto holding after BTC. (Should I say hodling? In this case, definitely!)

Let me tell you what I saw that got me interested.

The first thing I noticed was that they had additional separate websites dedicated to educating people about cryptos. Ok, nice.

They also had an online wallet with a bit of a twist. The DNotesVault, where you can store your coins if you don't want to manage a wallet yourself, actually has a guarantee fund. Yes, they actually have a separate fund, offline in cold storage for security and all that, just to guarantee the funds you store in the Vault.

That's something they don't have to do, and I hadn't seen anyone else doing that. But they thought about that and implemented it for the safety and security of their community. Banks only do that with your dollars and euros because it's a government mandate. These guys do it because it's the right thing to do. Ok, very nice.

What really caught my eye were CRISPs. Cryptocurrency Investment Savings Plans.

You deposit funds in a specific type of account in the Vault and agree not to withdraw the funds (although you could, with a penalty - seems fair) and they provide you with interest. Just like a bank, only the interest is actually much better than anything you could get in a bank today.

These guys were providing something I hadn't seen any other coin provide. They were building stability right into their coin ecosystem. They were thinking about the needs of the consumer. This idea really stuck with me.

So I wondered why this coin wasn't better known and I started looking around. It was very quiet in the forums and social media. It was more or less dead.

When coin developers and their communities go quiet, it usually means the coin is dead. But this one wasn't. It was still there after three years, maintaining very good gains since its inception. And doing it without some of the volatility that other currencies had.

I soon discovered that it wasn't dark because it was dead - they just went radio silent for a while. But they weren't sitting still. They were actually very busy.

Planning.

There was a lot going on behind the scenes.

I learned that I was right about what I had thought they were doing - thinking about the needs of their community and their ecosystem. They actually had a philosophy. And they were planning further based on that philosophy.

I think it was within days of me opening a CRISP and hilariously (to me anyway) beginning to fund it with tiny bits of coins from faucets, that they started announcing the things they had been working on.

Such as:

Re-releasing the coin as DNotes 2.0. They are going to allow owners of DNotes to swap out the coins with the new version. Other coins have done this and it's a rather bold thing to do. But seeing what else they are doing, it makes good sense.

They had rewritten the code so the coin was going from Proof-of-Work to Proof-of-Stake to be more in line with their overall philosophy. PoS coins are getting a lot more traction now. This is a smart move.

They have also rewritten the code in a different programming language - C#. According to the developers (and lots of unrelated outside sources), it will allow the coin to be used for a lot more applications to be built on top of it and add a lot of functionality. I know next to nothing about these technicalities, but I'll take the techies at their word on this. This also seems like a great move.

There's going to be Lots of PR associated with this Dnotes 2.0 rollout. That includes lots of press with co-founder Alan Yong's book and all the videos they are producing to support it and promote DNotes.

There's more, including projects further down the road such as banking-like services, multicurrency credit/debit cards, and a full cryptocurrency exchange.

Ok, now it's not just a matter of 'I like their philosophy.' It just got real. There are a lot of reasons to think DNotes 2.0 will not be undervalued like DNotes 1.0 had been. DNotes 2.0 is very likely to take a place among the top 50 coins in the near future.

So, at the time I was opening my account, the price was going up and I was hoping I wasn't too late.

I don't think the sharp rise in price earlier this year had too much to do with what the DNotes team was doing. I think it had much more to do with the general crypto market forces. There was a huge influx of capital into altcoins in the months prior, and I think there were many examples of huge gains by altcoins that were being played out, and DNotes, which was very much under the radar, just became the next victim of that wave.

But, it already had my attention. And to a certain extent, I was panic buying before it went up too much. The wave played out and the price came back down. Too much if you ask me, but many close to DNotes would say that it is undervalued anyway. I was actually ok with the price coming back down. That just gave me an opportunity to keep buying little chunks of DNotes at a better price.

So here we are. Probably a few weeks away from the swap to DNotes 2.0.

I'm a little too cautious to make a specific price prediction for after the release of 2.0. I think there are just too many variables.

But, I look at the market caps of some of the top 100 or even top 50 coins, and I just can't justify many of them. And I look at the plans the DNotes team has, the approach they have taken, and their general philosophy, and I can't help but think that DNotes belongs up there.

I do the math and I shake my head. That would mean a huge gain in the price.

Discovering DNotes reminded me how I felt when I first found and researched Bitcoin 4 years ago. I just have a gut feeling about this one again. I was right about Bitcoin. I hope I'm right again.

Full disclosure - yeah, I own some DNotes. Duh! My hodlings of DNotes represents less than 10% of my crypto stash. I own less than 10 different coins. I didn't write this post to pump DNotes and I don't work for them. I just believe in it and have some faith in the team and would like them to succeed.

https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@cryptospooge/discovering-dnotes-under-the-radar-probably-not-for-long

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 05:45:38 PM

Earlier this year, while researching a curious experiment to fund a retirement with earnings from cryptocoin faucets, I came across a coin that has grabbed my attention. I didn't know it at the time, but DNotes would quickly become my second largest crypto holding after BTC. (Should I say hodling? In this case, definitely!)

The first thing I noticed was that they had additional separate websites dedicated to educating people about cryptos. Ok, nice.

They also had an online wallet with a bit of a twist. The DNotesVault, where you can store your coins if you don't want to manage a wallet yourself, actually has a guarantee fund. Yes, they actually have a separate fund, offline in cold storage for security and all that, just to guarantee the funds you store in the Vault.

That's something they don't have to do, and I hadn't seen anyone else doing that. But they thought about that and implemented it for the safety and security of their community. Banks only do that with your dollars and euros because it's a government mandate. These guys do it because it's the right thing to do. Ok, very nice.

You deposit funds in a specific type of account in the Vault and agree not to withdraw the funds (although you could, with a penalty - seems fair) and they provide you with interest. Just like a bank, only the interest is actually much better than anything you could get in a bank today.

These guys were providing something I hadn't seen any other coin provide. They were building stability right into their coin ecosystem. They were thinking about the needs of the consumer. This idea really stuck with me.

So I wondered why this coin wasn't better known and I started looking around. It was very quiet in the forums and social media. It was more or less dead.

When coin developers and their communities go quiet, it usually means the coin is dead. But this one wasn't. It was still there after three years, maintaining very good gains since its inception. And doing it without some of the volatility that other currencies had.

I soon discovered that it wasn't dark because it was dead - they just went radio silent for a while. But they weren't sitting still. They were actually very busy.

Planning.

I learned that I was right about what I had thought they were doing - thinking about the needs of their community and their ecosystem. They actually had a philosophy. And they were planning further based on that philosophy.

I think it was within days of me opening a CRISP and hilariously (to me anyway) beginning to fund it with tiny bits of coins from faucets, that they started announcing the things they had been working on.

Such as:

Re-releasing the coin as DNotes 2.0. They are going to allow owners of DNotes to swap out the coins with the new version. Other coins have done this and it's a rather bold thing to do. But seeing what else they are doing, it makes good sense.

They had rewritten the code so the coin was going from Proof-of-Work to Proof-of-Stake to be more in line with their overall philosophy. PoS coins are getting a lot more traction now. This is a smart move.

They have also rewritten the code in a different programming language - C#. According to the developers (and lots of unrelated outside sources), it will allow the coin to be used for a lot more applications to be built on top of it and add a lot of functionality. I know next to nothing about these technicalities, but I'll take the techies at their word on this. This also seems like a great move.

There's going to be Lots of PR associated with this Dnotes 2.0 rollout. That includes lots of press with co-founder Alan Yong's book and all the videos they are producing to support it and promote DNotes.

There's more, including projects further down the road such as banking-like services, multicurrency credit/debit cards, and a full cryptocurrency exchange.

Ok, now it's not just a matter of 'I like their philosophy.' It just got real. There are a lot of reasons to think DNotes 2.0 will not be undervalued like DNotes 1.0 had been. DNotes 2.0 is very likely to take a place among the top 50 coins in the near future.

So, at the time I was opening my account, the price was going up and I was hoping I wasn't too late.

I don't think the sharp rise in price earlier this year had too much to do with what the DNotes team was doing. I think it had much more to do with the general crypto market forces. There was a huge influx of capital into altcoins in the months prior, and I think there were many examples of huge gains by altcoins that were being played out, and DNotes, which was very much under the radar, just became the next victim of that wave.

But, it already had my attention. And to a certain extent, I was panic buying before it went up too much. The wave played out and the price came back down. Too much if you ask me, but many close to DNotes would say that it is undervalued anyway. I was actually ok with the price coming back down. That just gave me an opportunity to keep buying little chunks of DNotes at a better price.

I'm a little too cautious to make a specific price prediction for after the release of 2.0. I think there are just too many variables.

But, I look at the market caps of some of the top 100 or even top 50 coins, and I just can't justify many of them. And I look at the plans the DNotes team has, the approach they have taken, and their general philosophy, and I can't help but think that DNotes belongs up there.

Discovering DNotes reminded me how I felt when I first found and researched Bitcoin 4 years ago. I just have a gut feeling about this one again. I was right about Bitcoin. I hope I'm right again.

Full disclosure - yeah, I own some DNotes. Duh! My hodlings of DNotes represents less than 10% of my crypto stash. I own less than 10 different coins. I didn't write this post to pump DNotes and I don't work for them. I just believe in it and have some faith in the team and would like them to succeed.

https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@cryptospooge/discovering-dnotes-under-the-radar-probably-not-for-long

It is amazing to read about people finding DNotes, exploring what it has to offer, and coming to the conclusion that we are building while "thinking about the needs of the consumer". That is absolutely correct, every step we make has the consumer and the stakeholders in mind. Thank you @cryptospooge for sharing your story!

rnayback

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 02:14:25 AM

I am doing some research on coins I have been holding for a while, and I just wanted to say it is incredibly refreshing to see a dev team so active on the forum. Thanks for the updates and reminding me why I believe in this project Smiley
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 02:53:48 AM

I am doing some research on coins I have been holding for a while, and I just wanted to say it is incredibly refreshing to see a dev team so active on the forum. Thanks for the updates and reminding me why I believe in this project Smiley

Thank you for your kind words, mayback. We strongly believe that we are here to serve the best interest of DNotes' stakeholders and together we can make DNotes a purposeful trusted digital currency for everyone. That is our best pathway to gain global mass acceptance. We know that is a big bold vision and will not happen by accident. It will take years of hard work to build a solid foundation. However, once DNotes starts gaining momentum, a lot of amazing things can happen fairly quickly.

We appreciate your positive feedback. It is inspiring. Thanks. 
mrbum805

Activity: 92
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 03:12:53 AM

Thank you for your kind words, mayback. We strongly believe that we are here to serve the best interest of DNotes' stakeholders and together we can make DNotes a purposeful trusted digital currency for everyone. That is our best pathway to gain global mass acceptance. We know that is a big bold vision and will not happen by accident. It will take years of hard work to build a solid foundation. However, once DNotes starts gaining momentum, a lot of amazing things can happen fairly quickly.

Yes they do a great job at that! I know a lot of people must read this forum and just choose not to join the conversation for different reasons. I always love reading and staying up to date with this form but don't post to often.

What I love most about Dnotes of the many things is the way they manage themselves like a business. Since I joined in over 3 years ago they have always remained professional and business oriented. Something that I just adhered to very fast which is why I bought a lot right off the bat and I'm still buying small amounts up till today. When I joined in I had searched Alan Yong and saw how much he had achieved and just saw him as being the most qualified to achieve something this bold in the crypto space or our future world. Alan wants to benefit everyone globally with a crypto coin done right and to work with everyone not fight anyone (governments, banks, businesses, etc). They have added a lot from there original road map or ideas in the early days but they always stayed true to the vision and released and finished things they had discussed.

What I find interesting is most business are not active in a forum with the public to my knowledge other than social media like youtube, facebook, twitter, etc. But the way these coins are decentralized all of them need forums to spread the word, as of now. Many or almost all are not managed very well or if at all. But then you have Dnotes forum. Very intellectual conversations and lots of info of upcoming stuff. They Run their forum like a business, if someone comes up with FUD they give them a very well written professional response and the FUDers naturally leave. It keeps the forum so well maintained. Its always been a business ran forum.

They always have done just what they have said. I have been a very happy Dnotes holder. I am so glad to see the project doing so well with such a great community. Yes I know there is a minor setback in finishing all areas of Dnotes2.0 but theres a lot coming. its great that the team is not rushing it. After all we've been waiting over 3 years its great there taking there time to do things right! They have always said that this is a 10+ year project since day one to fully develop and then continue on from there. As far as I'm concerned this is a long term investment

I Know in the past I've been asked to explain my story or outlook on it as a long time holder, well here is a good glimpse   Wink

Check out www.reviewdailylife.com for some fun upgrades around the house!
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 03:13:17 AM

Planning.

Such as:

It is amazing to read about people finding DNotes, exploring what it has to offer, and coming to the conclusion that we are building while "thinking about the needs of the consumer". That is absolutely correct, every step we make has the consumer and the stakeholders in mind. Thank you @cryptospooge for sharing your story!

Thank you very much, cryptospooge. What I like most is that you told the story as it is reflecting the DNotes' difference compared to other coins. DNotes is very different in style and in substance. I trust that you will be proven correct regarding your prediction on DNotes' market cap position.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 03:38:19 AM

Yes they do a great job at that! I know a lot of people must read this forum and just choose not to join the conversation for different reasons. I always love reading and staying up to date with this form but don't post to often.

What I love most about Dnotes of the many things is the way they manage themselves like a business. Since I joined in over 3 years ago they have always remained professional and business oriented. Something that I just adhered to very fast which is why I bought a lot right off the bat and I'm still buying small amounts up till today. When I joined in I had searched Alan Yong and saw how much he had achieved and just saw him as being the most qualified to achieve something this bold in the crypto space or our future world. Alan wants to benefit everyone globally with a crypto coin done right and to work with everyone not fight anyone (governments, banks, businesses, etc). They have added a lot from there original road map or ideas in the early days but they always stayed true to the vision and released and finished things they had discussed.

What I find interesting is most business are not active in a forum with the public to my knowledge other than social media like youtube, facebook, twitter, etc. But the way these coins are decentralized all of them need forums to spread the word, as of now. Many or almost all are not managed very well or if at all. But then you have Dnotes forum. Very intellectual conversations and lots of info of upcoming stuff. They Run their forum like a business, if someone comes up with FUD they give them a very well written professional response and the FUDers naturally leave. It keeps the forum so well maintained. Its always been a business ran forum.

They always have done just what they have said. I have been a very happy Dnotes holder. I am so glad to see the project doing so well with such a great community. Yes I know there is a minor setback in finishing all areas of Dnotes2.0 but theres a lot coming. its great that the team is not rushing it. After all we've been waiting over 3 years its great there taking there time to do things right! They have always said that this is a 10+ year project since day one to fully develop and then continue on from there. As far as I'm concerned this is a long term investment

I Know in the past I've been asked to explain my story or outlook on it as a long time holder, well here is a good glimpse   Wink

Thank you very much, mrbum805. We are honored to have stakeholders like you.

We live in a very challenging world where many people are taken advantage of than being given an opportunity to get ahead. It is even more pronounced in our industry - very few promises are kept and misrepresentations are the norm.

Our commitment since day one is to be different and take a different path. Building a trusted brand has been among our top priorities. As an entrepreneur for over forty years my experience to help manage DNotes as a business, but not controlled as one, comes natural. I am proud to serve and looking forward to great success for DNotes so that many can get ahead. 
TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 03:52:32 AM

Great work on the GitHub. I've been browsing through all the files. I'm not a coder, but I can read code based on some limited C# courses I did at university when I studied Database Management Systems etc.

Also excellent to see Cryptostooges post about DNotes on Steemit. I liked how Cryptostooge differentiated the approach that DNotes is taking. Many things and trends go on in our industry - obsessions over anonymity, country coins, airdrops, scaling debates, pump and dumps, and now of course ICOs. DNotes by comparison just lets everybody do as they do, while focusing on our core central plan, which is to make using cryptocurrency as simple as possible and integrating it into the modern financial world. While these tech features make for excellent trading gains, and support very interesting and innovative advances in the space, it isn't as important how technologically amazing a currency is, or how complex its latest gimmicky feature is when you can't easily spend it, nor convert it into fiat (in lieu of full on crypto adoption).

DCEBrief

Activity: 1078
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 04:36:23 AM

Sirin Labs Developing Blockchain Smartphone and PC

https://dcebrief.com/sirin-labs-developing-blockchain-smartphone-and-pc/
TimMarsh

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

Professional cryptocurrency writer incl DNotes.

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 08:51:11 AM

I have to admit that when I see stories like this one, where a company is making an "open, source, secure smartphone and PC", to leverage the advantages of blockchain technologies, I cringe. I remember when I first heard rumours that Google were developing an operating system for mobile phones potentially named 'Android', I was really excited. I had recognised back then the pie chart for mobile phone development costs shifting so that the software slice was becoming much more expensive than the hardware slice. And the duplication of effort was astounding. But I also knew that you'd need to be a huge company, and independent of phone manufacturers to succeed in such a big, bold project.

So yes, I was excited. I looked into how they were going to run a virtual machine which could then be configured to sit on a variety of hardware layers. I knew very little of the negotiations that would have to go on with manufacturers. But I'd followed the gaming console industry for a long time, and knew that they'd have to take great care to get a programming community on board. Google pulled it off. I was impressed. Then as with all good open source, a community of OS developers sprung up around it with Cyanogen.

The mobile phone industry has changed a lot since then. Nokia S60 operating system, Blackberry, Windows, and others have tried to compete and invested almost as much as an ICO windfall into the process. But it takes a lot more than dollars to put a wedge between the Android and iOS tug of war. I don't see Sirin Labs pulling off a fully independent hardware/software combo that will compete. But what bothers me most is my cynicism. I don't even believe they think they can do it, and feel like they've just added the 'blockchain' stamp to a popular product so that it gets a ticket on the blockchain bandwagon, so that they can ride it all the way to the blockchain gravy train.

Don't get me wrong, there is huge potential in blockchain technology, if you want an immutable distributed ledger that is excessively data heavy, slow to write to, and has redundancy duplicated at a thousand times any level that could possibly be justified. Just as a thought exercise, imagine if Twitter decided to decentralise its system using blockchain technology. There are about 500 million tweets sent per day, compared to about 200,000 bitcoin transactions per day. That's 2,500 times the number of transactions done in bitcoin over the same time period. I don't even know where to begin calculating the potential size of the twitter blockchain, but I know you'd never run a node from your mobile phone.

But this doesn't stop ICOs popping up that want to run a free, secure, private, instant messaging app on blockchain technology. And it is hard for me to feel like my messages are private when permanently stored on a public blockchain, where the leakage of a private key would mean my every message is there for all to read forever. So when I see what to me looks like an inappropriate application of blockchain technology pop up, it looks no different than some bold claim that they're going to reinvent Photoshop by building it on the blockchain. Or they're going to take on Youtube head to head by storing all video content on the blockchain. I can't imagine how these businesses can even pretend to believe what they are saying is true.

That's why I like what DNotes are doing. They're 'laser focused' on using blockchain for what it is best at. No fancy gimmicks or impossible claims. And their big bold plan is to create something that is more functional than many aspects of our global financial system, and benefits people in all of those societies that lack access to financial services. Sure, it is a huge undertaking, but it is both feasible and necessary.  

Cryptocurrencies will level the playing field. I'm paid to write, but not paid to promote.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:07:13 PM

I have to admit that when I see stories like this one, where a company is making an "open, source, secure smartphone and PC", to leverage the advantages of blockchain technologies, I cringe. I remember when I first heard rumours that Google were developing an operating system for mobile phones potentially named 'Android', I was really excited. I had recognised back then the pie chart for mobile phone development costs shifting so that the software slice was becoming much more expensive than the hardware slice. And the duplication of effort was astounding. But I also knew that you'd need to be a huge company, and independent of phone manufacturers to succeed in such a big, bold project.

So yes, I was excited. I looked into how they were going to run a virtual machine which could then be configured to sit on a variety of hardware layers. I knew very little of the negotiations that would have to go on with manufacturers. But I'd followed the gaming console industry for a long time, and knew that they'd have to take great care to get a programming community on board. Google pulled it off. I was impressed. Then as with all good open source, a community of OS developers sprung up around it with Cyanogen.

The mobile phone industry has changed a lot since then. Nokia S60 operating system, Blackberry, Windows, and others have tried to compete and invested almost as much as an ICO windfall into the process. But it takes a lot more than dollars to put a wedge between the Android and iOS tug of war. I don't see Sirin Labs pulling off a fully independent hardware/software combo that will compete. But what bothers me most is my cynicism. I don't even believe they think they can do it, and feel like they've just added the 'blockchain' stamp to a popular product so that it gets a ticket on the blockchain bandwagon, so that they can ride it all the way to the blockchain gravy train.

Don't get me wrong, there is huge potential in blockchain technology, if you want an immutable distributed ledger that is excessively data heavy, slow to write to, and has redundancy duplicated at a thousand times any level that could possibly be justified. Just as a thought exercise, imagine if Twitter decided to decentralise its system using blockchain technology. There are about 500 million tweets sent per day, compared to about 200,000 bitcoin transactions per day. That's 2,500 times the number of transactions done in bitcoin over the same time period. I don't even know where to begin calculating the potential size of the twitter blockchain, but I know you'd never run a node from your mobile phone.

But this doesn't stop ICOs popping up that want to run a free, secure, private, instant messaging app on blockchain technology. And it is hard for me to feel like my messages are private when permanently stored on a public blockchain, where the leakage of a private key would mean my every message is there for all to read forever. So when I see what to me looks like an inappropriate application of blockchain technology pop up, it looks no different than some bold claim that they're going to reinvent Photoshop by building it on the blockchain. Or they're going to take on Youtube head to head by storing all video content on the blockchain. I can't imagine how these businesses can even pretend to believe what they are saying is true.

That's why I like what DNotes are doing. They're 'laser focused' on using blockchain for what it is best at. No fancy gimmicks or impossible claims. And their big bold plan is to create something that is more functional than many aspects of our global financial system, and benefits people in all of those societies that lack access to financial services. Sure, it is a huge undertaking, but it is both feasible and necessary.  

Wow again, Tim. Great work. Looks like they have already raised $97-million:

"The co-founder and president of Sirin Labs is Moshe Hogeg. He’s founder of the messaging app Yo and the photo-sharing app Mobli. With Sirin Labs, Hogeg’s raised $25-million in seed money back in 2013, then another $72-million in April of 2016 (lead by Hogeg himself).   …. The Solarin phone was set to run with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 (now replaced by newer chips a couple times over)." https://www.slashgear.com/this-blockchain-phone-is-unreal-sirin-labs-solarin-and-finney-27501900/

If they can pull off their ICO, this is an interesting one to watch. There are merits to use both hardware and software coupled with biometrics to achieve unbreakable security. However, if I have the opportunity I would approach it very differently and spend the money wisely in order the reach the masses than the elites. 
TeeGee

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:42:36 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2017, 01:47:02 AM by TeeGee

Nice work Tim. Your points are well made about Sirin's chances in this market. It seems they have chosen to use the ICO the way the model was intended - as a crowdfunding resource or voucher to use on their products. The interesting thing about ICOs that launch with tangible products is that they are much more stable in value. For example, the phones have a fixed cost in SRN tokens, which gives a metric to appraise their actual valuation by. By contrast, other ventures that are fundraising for the future as a startup without a working product leave the valuation of their token much more open to speculators to decide, as opposed to a valuation appraisal.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 03:34:22 PM

Welcome rnayback! Thank you for joining us on the forum and the comments, it is greatly appreciated.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 03:40:27 PM

Thank you very much, mrbum805. We are honored to have stakeholders like you.

We live in a very challenging world where many people are taken advantage of than being given an opportunity to get ahead. It is even more pronounced in our industry - very few promises are kept and misrepresentations are the norm.

Our commitment since day one is to be different and take a different path. Building a trusted brand has been among our top priorities. As an entrepreneur for over forty years my experience to help manage DNotes as a business, but not controlled as one, comes natural. I am proud to serve and looking forward to great success for DNotes so that many can get ahead. 

mrbum805, we appreciate your confidence and support, especially in the face of challenges.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 03:47:23 PM

https://dcebrief.com/first-new-zealand-based-token-launch-using-ethereum-goes-live/

TeeGee

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 03:15:56 AM

Reuters etc are reporting that South Korea are banning ICOs.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-southkorea-bitcoin/south-korea-bans-raising-money-through-initial-coin-offerings-idUSKCN1C408N

Pages: « 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... 352 »
  Print  

Jump to: