Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:02:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 352 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DNotes 2.0 - Staking, CRISP Interest, DNotes Pay  (Read 148798 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 01:53:58 PM

Happy Father's Day to all the great dads who always make time for their kids!

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2017, 03:14:42 PM

Good point here. I have invested a lot in DNotes at 0.25$/NOTE. I can't even sleep with the thought that it's already at 0.15$ level. Also, if I understand this correct, in a 5 year retirement program, will I get a bonus besides the monthly interest? And if I need the money let's stay 8 months from now, will I get any interest?

An enlightened and stimulating conversation continues building in this thread. Two short posts jumped at out me the last few pages.

Alfaalfa, take heart! I know exactly how you feel, because in my past, I used to get overly emotional about my investments. This is why I never made it in the hedge fund world in Chicago. As a deep believer in crypto, though, I've had to really try very hard to get over this mentality of fretting too much. ESPECIALLY because this is crypto. All coins, from bitcoin on down, are wildly volatile. So it takes a little bit of extra mental oomph to steel one's self against market movements. Buy the coins you really believe in, like DNotes. And then forget about them. Act as if those assets aren't there. So when volatile swings down happen, you less apt to care. Same when volatile swings upwards happen, you won't get caught up in euphoria.

Also recognize that humans are built a certain way, psychologically. We are care far, far more about losses, than equivalent gains. So you have to be extra vigilant about your mindset when the market is moving against you.

DNotes isn't designed for the pump and dump crowd, it doesn't ride the waves created by short term trends. It is a long play, and I'd urge you to treat it as such. It goes up a lot? No big deal. It goes down some? No big deal. Because over time, the long-term trajectory is potentially very great. And that is why we all hold. Don't worry about the short-term movements.

The new CRISP payout and staking reward in the DNotes 2.0 upgrade is meant to replace these. With a target of 4% combined and compounded interest, direct and permenant distribution from the blockchain. Interested to hear everyones thoughts on that.
Noticed nobody replied to this one, and certainly would be glad to share my thoughts because this is an important point to sound out.

To me, the monthly % returns were always rather ambitious. It's just so hard to consistently have liquidity to support such herculean compounding. I was never sure my 10 year CRISP would continue to pay out so heftily. And honestly, that doesn't really matter to me.

Because the awesome short term returns on offer served as a forcing function for me. Once the money is deposited, it either matures on the given timeline of the CRISP, or there is a liquidity event, like DNotes 2.0.

Either way, I'd earn some solid interest on my core holdings, and would be forced to hold it for the intermediate to long term. Regardless of whether the interest hits all the stated targets from years ago, I am very happy. Because I essentially backed myself into a corner, in a good way. I've never been tempted to sell, because I can't. And given the interest, don't want to, either.

And I think that has been good for everyone, since it has created an incentive for all DNotes hodlers to do just that: hodl. And I'd imagine such an incentive has helped the coin stabilize these past few years, for everyone.

I haven't had much time to get on here but I had to sign on to tell you mininghabit, that was very well written and I must say I totally believe in this process and has treated me very well. I've even have been trying to teach a buddy to do the same.
I also personally have believed for the last 3 years Dnotes is the  most honest, inspired, intellectual, hard working team combined with a well thought out long term vision. I personally very much have believed for a long time, dnotes is a safe long term hold/buy

Appreciate it MiningHabit and mrbum805! I am glad to hear the confidence your responses, it is motivating. It's important that we make as many of the correct moves at the right time. So do let us know if you have any concerns or ideas. It may even spark other ideas or lead us to new considerations.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2017, 03:15:38 PM

Happy fathers day to all the hard working and motivated Dads out there!

Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 04:05:33 PM

Thanks, Chase. Happy Father's Day to all Dads around the world.

Take a day off. I am doing just that.
TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 04:53:03 PM

Good point here. I have invested a lot in DNotes at 0.25$/NOTE. I can't even sleep with the thought that it's already at 0.15$ level. Also, if I understand this correct, in a 5 year retirement program, will I get a bonus besides the monthly interest? And if I need the money let's stay 8 months from now, will I get any interest?

An enlightened and stimulating conversation continues building in this thread. Two short posts jumped at out me the last few pages.

Alfaalfa, take heart! I know exactly how you feel, because in my past, I used to get overly emotional about my investments. This is why I never made it in the hedge fund world in Chicago. As a deep believer in crypto, though, I've had to really try very hard to get over this mentality of fretting too much. ESPECIALLY because this is crypto. All coins, from bitcoin on down, are wildly volatile. So it takes a little bit of extra mental oomph to steel one's self against market movements. Buy the coins you really believe in, like DNotes. And then forget about them. Act as if those assets aren't there. So when volatile swings down happen, you less apt to care. Same when volatile swings upwards happen, you won't get caught up in euphoria.

Also recognize that humans are built a certain way, psychologically. We are care far, far more about losses, than equivalent gains. So you have to be extra vigilant about your mindset when the market is moving against you.

DNotes isn't designed for the pump and dump crowd, it doesn't ride the waves created by short term trends. It is a long play, and I'd urge you to treat it as such. It goes up a lot? No big deal. It goes down some? No big deal. Because over time, the long-term trajectory is potentially very great. And that is why we all hold. Don't worry about the short-term movements.

The new CRISP payout and staking reward in the DNotes 2.0 upgrade is meant to replace these. With a target of 4% combined and compounded interest, direct and permenant distribution from the blockchain. Interested to hear everyones thoughts on that.
Noticed nobody replied to this one, and certainly would be glad to share my thoughts because this is an important point to sound out.

To me, the monthly % returns were always rather ambitious. It's just so hard to consistently have liquidity to support such herculean compounding. I was never sure my 10 year CRISP would continue to pay out so heftily. And honestly, that doesn't really matter to me.

Because the awesome short term returns on offer served as a forcing function for me. Once the money is deposited, it either matures on the given timeline of the CRISP, or there is a liquidity event, like DNotes 2.0.

Either way, I'd earn some solid interest on my core holdings, and would be forced to hold it for the intermediate to long term. Regardless of whether the interest hits all the stated targets from years ago, I am very happy. Because I essentially backed myself into a corner, in a good way. I've never been tempted to sell, because I can't. And given the interest, don't want to, either.

And I think that has been good for everyone, since it has created an incentive for all DNotes hodlers to do just that: hodl. And I'd imagine such an incentive has helped the coin stabilize these past few years, for everyone.

I haven't had much time to get on here but I had to sign on to tell you mininghabit, that was very well written and I must say I totally believe in this process and has treated me very well. I've even have been trying to teach a buddy to do the same.
I also personally have believed for the last 3 years Dnotes is the  most honest, inspired, intellectual, hard working team combined with a well thought out long term vision. I personally very much have believed for a long time, dnotes is a safe long term hold/buy

Appreciate it MiningHabit and mrbum805! I am glad to hear the confidence your responses, it is motivating. It's important that we make as many of the correct moves at the right time. So do let us know if you have any concerns or ideas. It may even spark other ideas or lead us to new considerations.

It's very true Mr bum. Success is a process itself, and not just a final result. So if people can correctly identify early the successful approach DNotes have taken, they'll realize how far ahead we really are. Price is but one consideration. Prices adjust to reflect realized value, and prices can change rapidly - while the groundwork for success that we've undertaken can not be replicated quickly at all. As more people realize our approach is the best, the price will adjust quickly. Others won't be able to copy our ecosystem - for most, all they had going for them was speculative bubbles... A risky and profitable game of musical chairs. That isn't value at all. That is a game.

Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal or goal. It does not propagate overnight.

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 10:17:54 PM

I can't imagine anyone paying for this, so it makes me wonder if it is even real??

There is a 4 day Cryptocurrency Investing Bootcamp in Los Angeles, that is on sale right now for $20,000! They teach you how to indentify cryptocurrencies that have the potential to grow 100 - 1000%. To drive home what a 'good deal' you are getting, they have included the following value for their time:

"4 Days of Hands On Training With Tai Zen & Leon Fu Dot Com™ ($92,930 value)"

Here is my FREE bootcamp advice: Take the $20,000 and invest in DNotes and 5 or 6 other cryptocurrencies of your choice. The value of my free DNotes advice = priceless...  Wink

https://cryptocurrency.market/product/bootcamp/

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
Will_walker

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 01:47:51 AM

Hey Everyone,
Just looking for advice on Investing as a student. The Dnotes CRISP for students finally got me to jump in on crypto. I'm an Electrical engineering student that's interested in setting aside some money for Crypto each week (specifically Dnotes). Was wondering what the recommended amount should be for someone in my situation. I typically end the week with $50-$100 I've mostly been putting this to the side and paying off my loan or into Savings. was looking at 20% of earnings is that a good amount to put into digital currencies while keeping the rest for traditional type savings (bank).I will also have money from work over the holidays that will be used mostly for investing.

I was also interested to hear from anyone that has setup data centers specifically with the goal of Mining coins. I'd like to use my Engineering experience in the field of digital currencies after graduating (seems to be where the world is going). What sort of cost did you have setting it up? What return did you get on your investment? Is it worthwhile to setup in NZ with the electricity costs we pay? Cost of cooling? Cost of storage? and Any mistakes you made you'd warn others against doing.
Chevas Regal

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

www.tgtcoins.com/ico

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 01:52:10 AM

Hey Everyone,
Just looking for advice on Investing as a student. The Dnotes CRISP for students finally got me to jump in on crypto. I'm an Electrical engineering student that's interested in setting aside some money for Crypto each week (specifically Dnotes). Was wondering what the recommended amount should be for someone in my situation. I typically end the week with $50-$100 I've mostly been putting this to the side and paying off my loan or into Savings. was looking at 20% of earnings is that a good amount to put into digital currencies while keeping the rest for traditional type savings (bank).I will also have money from work over the holidays that will be used mostly for investing.

I was also interested to hear from anyone that has setup data centers specifically with the goal of Mining coins. I'd like to use my Engineering experience in the field of digital currencies after graduating (seems to be where the world is going). What sort of cost did you have setting it up? What return did you get on your investment? Is it worthwhile to setup in NZ with the electricity costs we pay? Cost of cooling? Cost of storage? and Any mistakes you made you'd warn others against doing.

Choosing Dnotes is a good decision, if you are able to save 30-40 Bucks for investment i will suggest to go for Dnotes, it will eventually go up beyond our imagination, i am no shill but i have too a great keen interest in it, i have myself invested a lot in it and i have a strong knowledge of C#, and i know what C# as a Microsoft pioneer can do.

Unlike LISK and Ethereum:

In above two all are inter-operatable, but C# is , you dont need to learn C# to implement , it is interoperatable, you program in any language and at the need of day you can integrate to major projects just by using DLLs.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██████████▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀██████████
███████▀▄▄█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀█▄▄▀▀██████
████▀▄█████████████████████▄▀████
███ ██████████▀▀▀████████████ ███
██ ███████████   █████████████▄▀█
█ █▌████████▀▀   ▀▀▀▀████████▐█ █
▌▐█ ██████████  ▐████████████▌██▐
▌██▐████████         ████████▌▐█▐
▌▐█ ██████████  ▐████████████▌██▐
█ █▄██████████  ▐████████████▄█ █
██ ███████████▄  ▀▀▀ █████████▀▄█
███ ████████████▄▄▄▄█████████ ███
████▄▀█████████████████████▀▄████
██████▄▄▀▀██▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█▀▀▄▄██████
██████████▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄██████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Target Coin

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄██▀                ▀██▄
▐██                ██  ██▌
██▌      ▄▄████▄▄  ▀▀  ▐██
██▌    ▄██▀▀  ▀▀██▄    ▐██
██▌   ▐██        ██▌   ▐██
██▌   ▐██        ██▌   ▐██
██▌    ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀    ▐██
██▌      ▀▀████▀▀      ▐██
▐██                    ██▌
 ▀██▄                ▄██▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀

MiningHabit

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 01:53:47 AM

Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal or goal. It does not propagate overnight.
"If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time."
-Steve Jobs, in a CNBC docu on Pixar

DNotes 2.0 - Bridging the Gap Between the Centralized and Decentralized World - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1924858.0
MiningHabit

Activity: 207

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 02:18:38 AM

Hey Everyone,

I remember reading Warren's Buffett's autobiography, "Snowball", and was struck at how lucky he considered himself. In fact he considers it one of his chief pieces of luck, that he started early. In fact that's the entire reason why his book is called Snowball. The earlier you start, the longer the hill becomes for your snowball to roll down the hill, accumulating with each turn.

The point is, just start. And given that you are so young, you have the benefit of being able to broaden out your risk parameters. You can invest in volatile risky things when nearing retirement. Even though I'm a firm believer in crypto, imagine if you are retiring next week. And then tomorrow bitcoin decreases by 30%. Sure, it will double and triple again in time. But that means nothing when you are retiring next week. So the fact that your time horizon is so long is your chief advantage. Just start. And then understand it's for the long haul. Sock the money away and don't give it a second thought. Practically pretend that you don't have it. And then one day you'll wake up and then you'll have a nontrivial sum.

One app that I absolutely love is called Acorns. It takes all your purchases, rounds them up to the nearest dollar and invests the "round ups." A quarter here, a quarter there, and next thing you know I have enough in this account to buy 1 bitcoin, which is what I did. And now my account is low. And I look forward to building it again through more round ups.

It's basically an app which automates your idea of taking small chunks, very regularly, and putting them into something meaningful over the long term. Essentially you're just cutting out the Acorns middle man and investing chunks yourself this week. Good on you. I tend to need something to force me to do this, so Acorns is a good fit for me.

I am an elder millennial with three kids, so I don't have a lot of spare cash flow. I say that to tell you that whilst you have relatively modest cash needs, be as aggressive as you can with investing. Not necessarily with what you are investing (dont just go buy a bunch of deep out of the money options on a pink sheet stock, for example), but in terms of how much you invest. Seek to put as much away as possible. Put some in a retirement account like the US, and put some in DNotes.

Given my online handle, you might guess that this is how I got into crypto: on the mining side. Folks might make it seem super hard. But honestly, if I can do it, anyone can. In terms of deep technical expertise, I'm mostly just a novice. I learned by doing.

I spent $2400 on my first mining rig three years ago. Good motherboard, open air mining case, Intel Celeron CPU (aka a cheap one), 4GB of RAM, a used monitor and cheap keyboard/mouse, a free Linux distro for the OS, a cheap hard drive, an add2psu component to string together 2 PSUs (it's way cheaper to string together 2 750w PSUs, than buy a single 1500w PSU), some powered USB risers to keep the GPUs off the mobo for heat management purposes.....just to be clear, super inexpensive components....and then top top of the line GPUs.

I mined for a long time, and then shut down my miner, and sold it for parts. All told, the net cost was $1300. And I mined coins which are many, many times that. To the point where they could pay off my house today (of course, I don't live in a fancy mansion, but hey). We are talking thousands of percent ROI on that net rig cost.

The major mistake I made was to stop mining when it became basically breakeven, in terms of the value of the litecoin I was mining versus the cost of electricity. And it sounds stupid, but I didn't into account the idea that the litecoins (to give an example, but I mostly mined DNotes, actually) might rise in value over a long time.

So I basically gave up on mining, way way way too soon. If you put in the effort and capital to make a rig, keep it going as long as possible. Because likely future appreciation will make it profitable to mine even if it doesn't quite seem so in the present. Lemme know if this spurred any questions. Happy to help further here.

In fact, I literally am putting together a new rig right now. Assembled the thing today with my daughter. Now just waiting on the GPUs (6 EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked cards) to get here midweek, then I'm off to the races!!

DNotes 2.0 - Bridging the Gap Between the Centralized and Decentralized World - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1924858.0
TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 02:26:08 AM

Hey Everyone,

Hi Will!

Welcome to the forum. Crypto is a great way to diversify your savings with, and we will endeavor to play a great role in improving your savings position. CRISP itself is going to be a great way to encourage saving, with up to ~4% annualized returns possible with the proof of stake reward (2 % supporting the network by running a node on your pc), and also by storing your DNotes at the DnotesVault, you'll automatically begin getting 2% on balances held for more than 30 days.

Setting up some type of optimal miner system could have advantages, though in New Zealand, it is common for much of the hardware to take a significant amount of time to arrive in NZ, by which time, you lose the highest gains (because the difficulty of mining increases very quickly - 2 weeks of postage, or a delay in the arrival of your rigs will massively eat into your returns). DNotes itself is moving to proof-of-stake, which will not use traditional miners. I think that the best strategy will likely be to utilize one of the future assets / tokens that will be released as currencies on the DNotes blockchain as part of our development network. Some of these assets will, i imagine, may have the ability to utilize computing power in some way (not necessarily POW, but other means that can synergize with proof of stake) while rendering custom mining hardware (ASICS) unusable to interact with the token.

The profitability will be dependent on the token itself, and how many other people are mining it etc, and the electricity costs would likely mean you'd mine at a loss. You would be banking on the token appreciating in value, and it may just be better to purchase. IN regards to heating and storage in your own home - well if you live in a cold part of the country like Queenstown or Dunedin, then you'd likely not need a heater in the winter Smiley.

DCEBrief

Activity: 1078
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 03:52:48 AM

What's a "day off" look like?  Tongue

Happy Father's Day, fellow dads!
DCEBrief

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 03:58:20 AM

https://dcebrief.com/as-venezuelan-crisis-intensifies-more-citizens-turn-to-digital-currency/
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 04:12:24 AM

What's a "day off" look like?  Tongue

Happy Father's Day, fellow dads!

That's an easy answer. Just do gardening for 4 hours and spent 8 hours with family. My typical DNotes work day is 12 hours. But then this is something I am totally passionate about. So, it is more fun than hard work.
TimMarsh

Activity: 187

Professional cryptocurrency writer incl DNotes.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 06:56:40 AM

Thanks Tim, my brain needed a workout today. Grin

The infographic should have been a little clearer, but here is how I believe it is meant to be interpreted:

"2 billion people lack access to a transaction account"
"Here is the percentage in each focus country"
- this could have been clearer - ie. the percentage of the 2 billion financially excluded in each focus country.

Of the 2 billion people in the world that are financially excluded, 73% of them are from the 25 focus countries. China's financially excluded would be 11.6% x 2 billion = 232 million, India 20.6% x 2 billion = 412 million, etc. The percentages of these 25 countries add up to the 73% stated (1.46 billion people), and the remaining 27% financially excluded (540 million people), would be from countries not included in this focus group. Some of these smaller countries could have very high rates of exclusion within their country, but only make up a tiny percentage of the 2 billion total.
Thanks Chase, your explanation completely changed my perception of the data. It hadn't occurred to me that these were percentages of a single total, rather than the percentages within each country. I think the confusion arises from the orange elements of the info-graphic being unrelated to the blue layer. It also makes sense of why the blue colors of the countries indicate different percentage-ranges to the orange dots labelling the same country.

Cryptocurrencies will level the playing field. I'm paid to write, but not paid to promote.
Khad

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 07:26:20 AM

Hi, is there any scheduled date for v2.0 release ?

TimMarsh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 09:08:27 AM

Hey Everyone,
Just looking for advice on Investing as a student. [...] I've mostly been putting this to the side and paying off my loan or into Savings. [...]
Hi Will, I see you've already had plenty of great advice. One thing I would add is that if your loan is charging more interest than you're confident you can earn investing, pay off the loan first.

Cryptocurrencies will level the playing field. I'm paid to write, but not paid to promote.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:11:39 AM

Hi, is there any scheduled date for v2.0 release ?

Welcome to the forum, Khad. DNotes 2.0 will be released sometime in September 2017.
TimMarsh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 10:24:15 AM

This is a really interesting article, and it raises some curious questions too.

I wanted to see a graph of how the bolivar was inflating and went to xe.com where I immediately saw by the level values and vertical steps that it was pegged to the USD. I also saw that ten of them could buy a US Dollar, not the 6,000 required in the article. So, with confidence in the quality of DCEBrief, I knew I had to do some more digging.

According to Wikipedia, on the first of January 2008, the Bolivar was renamed the bolivar fuerte and revalued at 1:1000 of the earlier bolivar. Since then it has remained pegged to the USD with adjustments made every few years. But that didn't explain the 6,000 bolivar exchange rate. So I followed a link to DolarToday.

There I found that today the unofficial exchange rate for 1 USD is 8,287 bolivar. So what is going on? Does this mean that you could take a 1 USD to the black market, exchange it for 8,000 bolivar. Then walk over to the government exchange, and swap your newly acquired 8,000 bolivar for 800 USD. Walk back over to the black market and buy it out for 6,400,000 bolivar? Not bad for a day's work. So surely not. My guess is that the black market is working fine, and it is the government exchange that won't sell you USDs for claimed 10:1 rate.

If this is the case, then it looks like a really clear example of how centrally controlled currency can have a value that is completely out of touch with it's potential value if traded illegally. I'm not saying that artificially imposing stability on a currency is a bad thing. But it does make me wonder what the bolivar would be worth if it could be easily traded, peer to peer, like an alt-coin.

DCEBrief

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 01:16:17 PM

This is a really interesting article, and it raises some curious questions too.

I wanted to see a graph of how the bolivar was inflating and went to xe.com where I immediately saw by the level values and vertical steps that it was pegged to the USD. I also saw that ten of them could buy a US Dollar, not the 6,000 required in the article. So, with confidence in the quality of DCEBrief, I knew I had to do some more digging.

According to Wikipedia, on the first of January 2008, the Bolivar was renamed the bolivar fuerte and revalued at 1:1000 of the earlier bolivar. Since then it has remained pegged to the USD with adjustments made every few years. But that didn't explain the 6,000 bolivar exchange rate. So I followed a link to DolarToday.

There I found that today the unofficial exchange rate for 1 USD is 8,287 bolivar. So what is going on? Does this mean that you could take a 1 USD to the black market, exchange it for 8,000 bolivar. Then walk over to the government exchange, and swap your newly acquired 8,000 bolivar for 800 USD. Walk back over to the black market and buy it out for 6,400,000 bolivar? Not bad for a day's work. So surely not. My guess is that the black market is working fine, and it is the government exchange that won't sell you USDs for claimed 10:1 rate.

If this is the case, then it looks like a really clear example of how centrally controlled currency can have a value that is completely out of touch with it's potential value if traded illegally. I'm not saying that artificially imposing stability on a currency is a bad thing. But it does make me wonder what the bolivar would be worth if it could be easily traded, peer to peer, like an alt-coin.

Tim, you're exactly right: the problem is access to the official exchange rate. And centralized control in general, of course...

I included a link to a Reuters article that went into a little more detail about this problem, but that link apparently fell through the cracks during the posting process (translation: operator error). Thanks for the heads-up!

http://www.reuters.com/article/uk-venezuela-economy-idUSKBN18L03C
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 352 »
  Print  

Jump to: