Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:40:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058355 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 01:36:08 AM

mkdir obj ?

(Aka, does the dir named obj even exist? A lot of newbies fail to include such a directory in their repo.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:44:50 AM

Hey guys, I'm having trouble compiling the client on linux
Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/coinflip/devcoin/src/curl'
Making all in lib
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/coinflip/devcoin/src/curl/lib'
.deps/libcurl_la-amigaos.Plo:1: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/coinflip/devcoin/src/curl/lib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/coinflip/devcoin/src/curl'
make: *** [curl/lib/.libs/libcurl.a] Error 2

I have curl dev files installed from repositories, any way to bypass the one included in the src? or there are some specific magic changes there?

find src/curl -name .deps -exec rm -rf "{}" \;

He put the windows build dep files in the source repo and cause this problem, above is what i did to overcome it.

Thanks that worked :-) but now i got this
Code:
g++ -c -O2 -pthread -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -g -D_MT -DBOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB -DBOOST_SPIRIT_THREADSAFE  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -static -I/home/coinflip/devcoin/src -I/home/coinflip/devcoin/src/obj -DUSE_UPNP=1 -DUSE_IPV6=1 -I/home/coinflip/devcoin/src/leveldb/include -I/home/coinflip/devcoin/src/leveldb/helpers -DHAVE_BUILD_INFO -fno-stack-protector -fstack-protector-all -Wstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -MMD -MF obj/auxpow.d -o obj/auxpow.o auxpow.cpp
auxpow.cpp:127:1: fatal error: opening dependency file obj/auxpow.d: No such file or directory

mkdir src/obj

Though I think it should be created automatically in build scripts somewhere...but the bitcoin guys seems forgot that

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:14:27 AM

I believe that Unthinkingbit did not / does not restrict the Decoin project's concept of Open Source to only the somewhat infectious GNU license, BSD and MIT also are acceptable and I think things like Perl's creative license, the Apache license and so on.

Indeed, any approved open source license is ok:
http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical

When working within an existing project, I recommend that people use the project license. So devcoin is MIT since bitcoin is MIT, and I recommend that people making Simple Machines Forum 2 code use the BSD 3 Clause license.

Unthinkingbit

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:20:57 AM

I'm a bit unclear what Devcoin's goal is. Does it want to proliferate open source? Proliferate devcoins? Passively reward anyone who does open source? Each of those require mostly different approaches.

The goal is to proliferate open source. The method is by paying for it. Devcoin pays with bounties, word earnings, and the share lists.

By the way...I think that bounty is pretty low for an open-source exchange, especially if someone is making it from scratch...that's more work than all I've done for open source so far...by maybe a factor of 20. Security, hosting, wallet-nitty-gritty, backups etc. I'm actually writing software that has exchange elements for my main project, and it's a ton of work. I guess the priority is what matters, and the bounty system seems to favour things the community needs first, which is fine.

The bounty system is for community needs first. It looks like in the next month we'll get most of our needs met (client, web site, forum, animation, etc..), after that it'll be more about projects that help everyone.

Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:36:34 AM

It is just by definition Capitalism is competition by an large. In my mind Open Source is cooperation by an large. It is not like they are opposites.

Capitalism is an economic process where the risk and reward are assumed by the few, with decisions made by everyone. Modern communism (which I think you were referring to)....

Again, there was no intention of bringing communism into this. In fact payment has been made to me for working on Open Source projects. That is taking something Open Source and adding mods for a paying client. Hopefully that will clarify that there is no connection to communism in my remarks.

Ok, I may have misunderstood what you were saying. I brought communism into it because that relies more so on cooperation than capitalism, and perhaps that's not what you meant. I still think it's unfair to call open source more cooperative in the comparison you made, though, because capitalism depends very much so on cooperation (eg outsourcing, manufacturing inputs, etc), and open source is still open source if there was no cooperation in making it. I think I get what you mean, though; one outstanding difference is that capitalism goes hand in hand with self-interest, whereas open source not. To cooperate with self-interest (also possible), you need something like devcoin. It connects open source to self-interest by floating the value of open source on to the (self-interested) free market, and this is the paradigm shift I've been talking about in my recent posts.

I suspect that this float is going to revolutionize open source (and by extension all software). If propriety software has high value, it'll always be kept propriety, but if the value of an open source version rises enough (through dvc exchange rates), a developer might decide it's more bountiful to release their software as open source instead of not, which is a boon for humankind - if you take the stance that the more knowledge that is freely available, the better off the human race will be. There is the possibility that only crap will be produced, but that's the free market for you, and why the admins exist...if the market truly values open source software, it will pay for it, and as long as the price is less than propriety software, devcoins are going to do just fine. The side bonus is that sites like http://devtome.com get more, excellent writers - I've seriously been impressed with some of the stuff going on there...far better than wikipedia regarding some things (of course this depends on author, but that will increase with the devcoin value). This is the power of self-interest, and why I've so quickly become so enthralled by devcoins. I can easily see the dvc market crashing and rising through speculation and earnings (another free market problem), but this is one of those ideas that will survive this sort of thing, because once open source software/writing has been developed, it doesn't disappear, and instead makes the whole more interesting and therefore more potentially valuable.

Regarding code, applying capitalistic risk to the bounty system does not close the source, and if open source is cooperative as you say, how can it then be less cooperative? Capitalism vs Modern Communism is about who assumes the risk of failure.

We are in agreement that Open Source remains open source. In the present Bounty System it is the creators of the code that assume the risks. If you are suggesting that it is the issuers of the Bounty who assume the risk then we would be in disagreement.

Nono, that was just a reiteration that cooperation is not exclusive to open source. Incidentally, there is some small element of risk for the bounty issuers - poor criteria leading to wasteful software, opportunity cost on bounties (value one over the other and one gets made faster but the other may have been more useful in the long run), etc, but I'm sure those will be dealt with in time. This is one situation where having more decision makers can help, but as you can see below, UTB's priority is aiding the community so these admin bounties will probably always revolve around making sure devcoins are stable and in circulation (much like a government and fiat.../giggle) well enough that 'public' works can be supported.

Voting only really works if people have something to lose. If it's arbitrary voting by everyday users, for nothing but a random click, it doesn't create an accurate representation of what people actually want. Valve tried this with their Greenlight system, and have recognized what a horrible failure it was in reducing their workload, or getting better games out. If they had made people pay to vote for greenlight games, they'd have a much more realistic demand plot, because people would only vote for things they actually cared about. If the bounty system you talk about makes people contribute to the bounty as their vote, then that would work fine...but then basically you've got capitalists who are directing open source programmers...

Your idea of paying to vote is a brilliant amendment to my suggestion. Assuming that the option is open to everyone anyone from any political bent could put up their DevCoins and have their say. That is giving the direction of the open source programmers to even the programmers themselves (who are most likely to be happy capitalist in their own right).

Thanks, but I wasn't the first to mention it on this thread Smiley: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233997.msg4331403#msg4331403 . I did agree with jdlrexy though that people need to really want something (enough to put up something they like, like money) to trust demand, judging by Valve's Greenlight problem. Interestingly regarding people with a political stint putting up bounties to get something done (in the system you're talking about), why do you think people would use dvc to offer bounties and not just offer straight fiat for a contract? By using dvc they'd basically be paying for all devcoin developers via the exchange rate, not just for their bounty, so they're going to have to pay more to get better software. If they're earning a lot of devcoins themselves, then it's different, but if they're converting fiat just for the job, would they find it the best value for money? Maybe if all developers wanted dvc they would, but is that likely? Are you offering non-admin based bounties? In those cases, do the developers really need to release the source? It's a requirement for the generational shares of course, but it doesn't have to be if anyone can create a bounty, and then it becomes something like crowd-sourcing developers. If it's just admin-bounties only with people voting with their wallets on what they want to see, then it could become quite interesting.

I'm a bit unclear what Devcoin's goal is. Does it want to proliferate open source? Proliferate devcoins? Passively reward anyone who does open source? Each of those require mostly different approaches.

The goal is to proliferate open source. The method is by paying for it. Devcoin pays with bounties, word earnings, and the share lists.

Awesome, this is exactly what I want too. I don't feel so ranty now.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:00:50 AM

Good morning all!  I woke up to an unexpected surprise of a large DVC deposit that I have no idea who its from nor what its for.  If it was an accidental transaction, the sender can PM me with the exact amount sent so that I know they are the rightful owner and I will return it.  Thanks.  It was sent to the address in my signature.

I got one, too. I suspect it's about the issue below.

Notabot would stop selling his devcoins, and send all but 5 million back to people at the end of December, and then send all but 5 million back at the end of the round 30 payment at the end of January. For a year, round 31 to round 42 inclusive, a third of his earnings would be sent back.

Indeed that's what it's from. Notabot decided to not hold back 5 million as I recommended, he sent all his 20 million devcoins. I then sent it in turn in proportion to the current account 31 file. The payments are currently at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/payment.csv

but that file changes once in a while so it's not a permanent record. The block record is permanent, and the transactions are in the following blocks:
http://darkgamex.ch:2751/block/d9ff14adbc1f8cf78e7f4c8690aa215f2bf1fb53bbb7f04dfea13c82c0821941
http://darkgamex.ch:2751/block/6f8c79db2d47849aae2fb0839d03ea0b45a6cca9e292ac52c1b99c960536f2c3
http://darkgamex.ch:2751/block/6376ded227406452c84b4218814c53522f3a1d4b70e0f5c25f2723840509f250

The next and last payment will be at the end of this payment round, about Jan 28, 2014.

I am pretty much against the way you've handled this. I am not posting this publicly to cause problems, but to hopefully get other opinions on it as well.

Here's the issue: you paid these out according to the *current round* instead of the past ones. The problem here is that it was those in *previous rounds* that actually lost the coins. Their shares were diluted due to this problem, and now it's not those who lost that get rewarded for their losses but those who never lost anything (unless someone happened to have the same ratio in each round, which is highly unlikely, especially with the changes to max share count from Devtome and the massive number of bounties this round). Essentially what has happened is some have lost coins and others who were not affected are the ones being rewarded.

This is completely backwards from how it should be.

I generally agree with this sentiment. I don't know that I would be affected either way since I don't know what period of time this occurred over. But indeed, it maintains the diluted shares from previous rounds, despite there being a pool of devcoins that could be used to compensate those receivers. Instead, those who received diluted shares may receive nothing. This doesn't seem equitable.
notabot

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:52:38 AM

I agree also and will provide Unthinkingbit with a breakdown per round. Thank you.

emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:52:36 AM

Good morning all!  I woke up to an unexpected surprise of a large DVC deposit that I have no idea who its from nor what its for.  If it was an accidental transaction, the sender can PM me with the exact amount sent so that I know they are the rightful owner and I will return it.  Thanks.  It was sent to the address in my signature.

I got one, too. I suspect it's about the issue below.

Notabot would stop selling his devcoins, and send all but 5 million back to people at the end of December, and then send all but 5 million back at the end of the round 30 payment at the end of January. For a year, round 31 to round 42 inclusive, a third of his earnings would be sent back.

Indeed that's what it's from. Notabot decided to not hold back 5 million as I recommended, he sent all his 20 million devcoins. I then sent it in turn in proportion to the current account 31 file. The payments are currently at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/payment.csv

but that file changes once in a while so it's not a permanent record. The block record is permanent, and the transactions are in the following blocks:
http://darkgamex.ch:2751/block/d9ff14adbc1f8cf78e7f4c8690aa215f2bf1fb53bbb7f04dfea13c82c0821941
http://darkgamex.ch:2751/block/6f8c79db2d47849aae2fb0839d03ea0b45a6cca9e292ac52c1b99c960536f2c3
http://darkgamex.ch:2751/block/6376ded227406452c84b4218814c53522f3a1d4b70e0f5c25f2723840509f250

The next and last payment will be at the end of this payment round, about Jan 28, 2014.

I am pretty much against the way you've handled this. I am not posting this publicly to cause problems, but to hopefully get other opinions on it as well.

Here's the issue: you paid these out according to the *current round* instead of the past ones. The problem here is that it was those in *previous rounds* that actually lost the coins. Their shares were diluted due to this problem, and now it's not those who lost that get rewarded for their losses but those who never lost anything (unless someone happened to have the same ratio in each round, which is highly unlikely, especially with the changes to max share count from Devtome and the massive number of bounties this round). Essentially what has happened is some have lost coins and others who were not affected are the ones being rewarded.

This is completely backwards from how it should be.

I generally agree with this sentiment. I don't know that I would be affected either way since I don't know what period of time this occurred over. But indeed, it maintains the diluted shares from previous rounds, despite there being a pool of devcoins that could be used to compensate those receivers. Instead, those who received diluted shares may receive nothing. This doesn't seem equitable.

I have shares both that round and later round, and don't know which is more, but I also agree with that the lost ones should be send back to those who lost them.

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:54:00 AM

I did it this way because it was the easiest. It would take a long time to figure out how much the shares were diluted in which rounds and to calculate how much each person should get. Also, on average those rounds had about 300,000 devcoins, more than people are getting this round, so those in the previous rounds are already getting plenty.

Edit: Since people want more to be sent to the previous rounds, in the next payment I'll send according to the round 28 account file, instead of the round 32 file.

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 09:47:50 AM

Thank you for your feedback, at the moment this is just an idea to help raise awareness of devcoin as no mobile network accepts cryptocurrency for pay as you go phone credit. also not just young people, but many that use pay as you go do do because they do not have access to a banking account to set up a contract with a provider. any of these people can set up a crypto account and those that have one already would find phone credit a usefull product to spend there coin on . just saying you can now top up your phone on any uk network using devcoin should get some attention. even if the site accepts other currencys also. to prevent copycats doing a better job and stealing the idea i have made a demo website that charges no fees or commision. juas accepting tips if you like the service just to see if there is any interest in the idea. buying airtime at a discount later could make it profitable and then switch to only accepting devcoin when there are some funds in the account and it is a little more known . any help or feedback is much appreciated. jasont   wwwcryptocredit.co.uk  and cryptocreditphones.com
Concept looks good to me. You may want to look at coinpayments.net as it's a checkout system a few devcoin ecommerce sites are already using and may make like easier for you? Alternatively it might add control-loss and delay factors for you, so it's a balancing act. I hadn't really considered the bigger picture inclusion aspect you refer to - those that aren't banked etc.

One thought; how does someone without a bank account acquire crypto right now? Things are likely to change over time but if a significant proportion of the target group are the 'unbanked' or youngsters, not sure about the pragmatics of the potentially more vulnerable swapping cash for crypto in person. So - devcoin 'earners' aside - there might be a bit of an access loop to solve without becoming a money changer yourself (and you and I know just how flexible our gov is on cryptos to date). Maybe effecting a sort of swap - where somehow cash is switched for something else, then that something else is switched for crypto. I have to think about it more, I'm sure there are ways to do it if you don't already have one.

This is not to question the idea as I think it's a great one, just throwing thoughts at you.
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 09:55:11 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 10:06:11 AM by weisoq

I did it this way because it was the easiest. It would take a long time to figure out how much the shares were diluted in which rounds and to calculate how much each person should get. Also, on average those rounds had about 300,000 devcoins, more than people are getting this round, so those in the previous rounds are already getting plenty.

Edit: Since people want more to be sent to the previous rounds, in the next payment I'll send according to the round 28 account file, instead of the round 32 file.
Easiest way is just ask notabot for a ballpark % activity by round. That way there's no competing biases, what happens happens and we all move on.

Edit: didn't notice your time consuming point. Then I'd just take the current list (to exclude anyone since removed for deserved reasons) and split it evenly. Anything coming is probably more than expected so not worthy of much complaint imo. It's a group endeavour so if people want precise re-distribution let them spend time calulating it all.
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:12:40 AM

review for http://dvc4giftcards.us/

With some of the kindly tips I've received for the dvccountdown, I managed to have enough dvc in my pocket to purchase a $1 amazon gift card, which I was going to use to discount an amazon purchase I was planning on making. The site was well presented, and easy to purchase from, but I missed the bit where I was supposed to write a note to the seller. My brain just completely missed the text block, and I think that was because the big cards drew my focus away from it - perhaps it would be better presented another way, like a message box or something just before going to the payment window. Regarding that oversight, I assumed (hoped) the gift card would just be sent to my email address by default, and overnight I received an email from the site admin. It turns out they had seen that I was from .au, and the gift cards were only usable on the US store. I was asked whether I still wanted the card, or a refund, and took the sensible option considering I was looking at something on my local amazon. The next time I want something from the US store (which I do from time to time), and I have DVC to burn, I had a pleasant enough experience to try this site again. For larger purchases, though, I think would prefer bigger denominations than the $1 or $10 to save some time.

Thanks for the review!  Turns out the review bounty is finished, though.

@Unthinkingbit - I would be like to give 1 of my administrator bonus shares (from the 3-Business-Administrator in the bounty file) to Hunterbunter for his review, even though the bounty is over.

Oops I missed this...thanks for the offer Smeagol! The site is pretty good; I hope you get a lot of business through it.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:52:06 PM

I'd actually push more towards something like Round 30. The reason being that this is when the issue was for sure a problem. In fact, here's a short breakdown of that one:

Total shares: 816
His shares: 120

That's a ratio of (120/816) 14.7% or almost 15%. This is a pretty big difference in earnings.

Round 29 he had nothing. Round 28 he had a little (55 shares). It's the round 30 one where things were really killed though when you take his shares per round and figure out the dilution of them.

So I'm going to put in a vote for changing it to round 30.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:05:54 PM

I appreciate the thoughts of reimbursement in the round it happened, but think it is better to use these funds to entice future writings for Devtome. People submitting work for Devtome were not complaining when nobot accumulated these shares i.e. it did not deter them from submitting work to Devtome.

Its the present time we are working with, not the past. We need more good writing for Devtome. That is what I consider to be the most important.

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:10:31 PM

People submitting work for Devtome were not complaining when nobot accumulated these shares i.e. it did not deter them from submitting work to Devtome.

This is like having a lottery where two people win, then finding out later that one of them didn't really win and it was erroneous, therefore the money is added back to the pot for a future drawing. No way; it should be given to the person who rightfully earned (ie. won) it.

The issue at hand is that, were it to be legitimately earned, we'd have no problems with it having been paid out as it was. But when it's not, and that directly takes away from those that *did* do the work during that period, it causes problems.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:16:22 PM

You have a good point. My counter point is that the share they were receiving apparently was sufficient for them to do the writing (unless people see it as a lottery and hope to win jackpot without testing the expected revenue before initiating writing). I am not saying your argument is wrong. I just want to bring forward that we have a future (of Devcoin) to attend to. It makes sense to me to spend those funds accordingly.

smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:25:53 PM

I'd actually push more towards something like Round 30. The reason being that this is when the issue was for sure a problem. In fact, here's a short breakdown of that one:

Total shares: 816
His shares: 120

That's a ratio of (120/816) 14.7% or almost 15%. This is a pretty big difference in earnings.

Round 29 he had nothing. Round 28 he had a little (55 shares). It's the round 30 one where things were really killed though when you take his shares per round and figure out the dilution of them.

So I'm going to put in a vote for changing it to round 30.

55 Shares is still a lot, anyway
dalamar96

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 02:50:24 PM

Ok,
  So no one has any information about Android App Ideas already discussed?  I also thought I saw something about a MUD idea for using DevCoin on a MUD? This I would be interested in. Any other thoughts on the matter?

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
DVC:   1ARHF6HmFL87Rw29qZi1x5TGTDzFDQxMFH
BTC:   19w38CCB8YaxmJHkNH8gMjZYjw64SkQCcM
DODG: DNzDJTJrPEsSYpDGmD2iCFUfK8iJjeqm7C
melodiem

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:14:14 PM

Thank you for your feedback, at the moment this is just an idea to help raise awareness of devcoin as no mobile network accepts cryptocurrency for pay as you go phone credit. also not just young people, but many that use pay as you go do do because they do not have access to a banking account to set up a contract with a provider. any of these people can set up a crypto account and those that have one already would find phone credit a usefull product to spend there coin on . just saying you can now top up your phone on any uk network using devcoin should get some attention. even if the site accepts other currencys also. to prevent copycats doing a better job and stealing the idea i have made a demo website that charges no fees or commision. juas accepting tips if you like the service just to see if there is any interest in the idea. buying airtime at a discount later could make it profitable and then switch to only accepting devcoin when there are some funds in the account and it is a little more known . any help or feedback is much appreciated. jasont   wwwcryptocredit.co.uk  and cryptocreditphones.com
Concept looks good to me. You may want to look at coinpayments.net as it's a checkout system a few devcoin ecommerce sites are already using and may make like easier for you? Alternatively it might add control-loss and delay factors for you, so it's a balancing act. I hadn't really considered the bigger picture inclusion aspect you refer to - those that aren't banked etc.

One thought; how does someone without a bank account acquire crypto right now? Things are likely to change over time but if a significant proportion of the target group are the 'unbanked' or youngsters, not sure about the pragmatics of the potentially more vulnerable swapping cash for crypto in person. So - devcoin 'earners' aside - there might be a bit of an access loop to solve without becoming a money changer yourself (and you and I know just how flexible our gov is on cryptos to date). Maybe effecting a sort of swap - where somehow cash is switched for something else, then that something else is switched for crypto. I have to think about it more, I'm sure there are ways to do it if you don't already have one.

This is not to question the idea as I think it's a great one, just throwing thoughts at you.

I have a prepaid (pay as you go) phone, when I "buy credit" I go to the local shop/servo/deli and buy a slip of paper with a code on it, when I enter the code my account is topped up. (I also do this by Visa over the phone, but I am trying to address your target of people who don't have bank accounts)

Is it possible to do something similar?

For example, produce slips of paper with codes on them that can be entered by SMS or online, and puts a set amount into their wallet according to the cost of the slip of paper? (I guess QR codes might even make this easier) Maybe they could be sold by community groups in line with Devcoin community aims, and the community groups could receive a commission?

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:07:25 PM

Ok,
  So no one has any information about Android App Ideas already discussed?  I also thought I saw something about a MUD idea for using DevCoin on a MUD? This I would be interested in. Any other thoughts on the matter?

What ideas? Im working on the official android wallet for devcoin..

To previous poster yes thats why I worked on adding the qr code stuff and with the android wallet it will be simple to make payments using qr.
Pages: « 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: