Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:46:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058407 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bit-fxtrader

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:29:32 AM

About to apply for writing on devtome, should I pm my devcoin address or an email address? or both?

I downloaded the win client from here http://media.andarazoroflove.org I assume this is a legit site, just checking cause eset quarantined a piece of the installation.

I'm gonna give it another shot. Ran the uninstaller, do I need to delete some registry keys too before  attempting reinstall?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 09:26:47 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 10:44:42 AM by markm

Whats the status on moneychanger? Wasnt it supposed to be the grandma holy grail bounty awarded client? What is it missing, conversion from sys tray to a gui? How big of a bite is that one?

Curious why java was not chosen so it would be easy to run on android?

Does monetas have a ui for OT?

Moneychanger now can fire up a "main menu" window, with that I am able to use it fine even though there is still no sign of a so called "system tray" on my desktop(s).

If the "main menu" does not appear, and you cannot find your "system tray" to find the icon to use the menu that is on the icon, you will need to kill it some other way (such as control-C in the text terminal in which you started it, or via kill command if you started it in background from an applications menu or whatever) and do "touch ~/.ot/knotworkpigeons" (or whatever your operating system's command/method of creating an empty file named knotworkpigeons in the data directory used by Open Transactions) and start it again. The existence of that file will force it to open the "main menu" window.

Presumably when this is all packaged up into an installer the installer should take care of creating that file or whatever is by then needed to force the menu if when installing it one tells it one needs such a menu to be coming up by default.

The main menu includes "Quit" so the kill stuff should not be needed once you are able to use the menu to kill it. (Merely killing all the visible windows does not kill it since it resides in the so called system tray even when it has no windows visible.)

As for Java, there is a java GUI client, it was intended for developers and for testing the system because it had everything (that so far existed back then) whether grandma would want so many complicated options or not, It was great, it was pretty much the only time I have ever bothered even using a GUI at all for anything that can be done from a command-line. It still exists but is not named Otapi-J to free up the name Moneychanger for re-assignment to the QT GUI client.

Clients for Android and iPhone are distinct/separate, one apparently does not run the QT client on phones.

I do not know whether the Otapi-J, the so called "test GUI" client, would run on a phone or not, maybe on any sufficiently advanced phone it would work "like magic"?

I do not know what Monetas might have over and above what anyone else has. Though I thought they were going to be offering an "Enterprise grade Open Transactions Server" so maybe that might be what they will be or are working on first before any potential making of new/different clients?

One big horror story floating over Open Transactions lately though is Fellow Traveler has threatened that he thinks all the IDs for everything should not really be hashes like they are now, they should instead be hashes that include some kind of checksum like Bitcoin Addresses do, to help detect whether they have been mis-typed if humans type them in or mis-pasted if humans paste them and suchlike.

If he does that, he claimed, all existing IDs as of that time would be obsolete and there would be no migration mechanism to migrate everyone's nyms, accounts, server IDs, asset IDs and so on over to the new system that has the checksums.

So basically all the years of people opening accounts and creating and issuing assets and all the years of balances that servers have been maintaining perfectly balanced will all in one fell swoop be useless for us in Open Transactions, everyone will have to stick with the old executables for however many years it might take for everything to eventually find its own way item by item across to the new system, likely with some holdout grandmas stuck in old system until they die and their heirs and assigns dig up their old accounts and arrange to get the assets from them and translate the assets over to the new system so as to access what she left them in their wills.

I expect it might be safer not to let grandma even use the system at all until her very first original nym and account and the assets she uses with them are all already using the new system.

Obviously since I have years of data entry involved in my server's years of accumulated assets, nyms, accounts and balances, and also reasons for not wanting to try to move to new different asset and server contracts at this time, I very much hate this idea of obsoleting all those years of work. I doubt grandma would enjoy trying to migrate all her stuff either. I expect as I indicated that it would end up being up to her heirs and assigns to try to access it and move it after she is dead.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ThinkI

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:40:32 AM

I think adding material to devtome that has been requested is a pretty sweet idea.. not only would writers be
getting paid ALOT MORE because they are paid twice and shares wouldnt be as diluted initially but I wouldnt mind devtome at all then.. its what people want to read amd useful.. I would read on there then and im sure others would.. and we wouldnt have all the shares going to devtome opening up other project funding or bounties.

Good to hear that we can change your point of view Sidhujag. Smiley

My account is now active and I can login so all appears well. I received an email about the activation by the way.

We will need some redecorating of the site so that should be one of the first jobs listed. How to arrange a Bounty for this?

I'm not sure what user material there is but I am guessing an edit is required as minimum. So that's the first writing job.

We will need something to show in a press release. An example of what can be done with this new resource. Anyone got any preferences on subject matter. The press release goes to publishers who are potential buyers of content so it should be something that catches their imagination. For web developers the fact that all the upgrades were commissioned trough the service should be sufficient proof of the value of the service.

We need a Bounty for DevCoin sponsored work. Not large but large enough to make it worth doing compared to some other writing that the author could be doing.

We need to consider how to reduce the current writer payments to fund the Bounty and the impact of that.

We need to ensure every writer signs up Smiley

We need some guidelines for writers so we keep standards up to an acceptable level.

We need a way of linking to an authors work in DevTone so potential buyers can see the standard they will get. That should help keep the standards up without too much enforcement work. Anyone doing a Cut and Paste  for 'free' DevCoin will live to regret it.

We also need to consider the effect of double payments one from the person commissioning the work and one from DevCoin. Since DevCoin is effectively subsidizing the content for another organization as long as its Open Source. Should DevCoin payments be lower for externally commissioned work?

Any thoughts?

ThinkI

Earn DevCoins by doing stuff you enjoy! Cool
BTC: 1AxYGFDnnw1PUo8TbQ83PCrenjQJBYU41Z | DVC: 1HKK5tswf8mXGsQng5naNEeqY44ZTHD3MY
Is this the best way to mine BitCoin?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 10:49:14 AM

There are three categories or classes of commissioned writing I expect:

One, you want Devtome to contain a certain article that does not exist. This might for example be because your own articles need to be able to refer to such an article in order for your own articles not to get bogged down in explaining background stuff that would be better explained in a separate article and maybe by someone better qualified to write on that other topic. In this case the author will get paid by Devtome, all you need do is convince them to to so.

Two, you want a particular article for some other site or some other use, but do not mind if the author also places it on Devtome. Since any article placed on Devtome becomes free open source, this is really the same as number one above. You might be thinking well I need this article and yeah I do not care if they also put it on Devtome but really, if they do make such an article on devtome as in number one above you can then grab the article anyway, so this number two option is really just a different way of thinking about that same old number one option. You have to realise that everything on Devtome is up for grabs so maybe you don't need to commission an article for yourself, maybe you can commission one for Devtome and then, like any/every other Devtome article, grab it for your own use.

Three, you want an exclusive, an article written just for you, one you maybe have no intention of releasing as public source and maybe even that you want to white-label, that is to pretend you wrote it yourself aka you want a ghostwriter to write an article for you. In this case the author will not be getting any pay from Devtome so it is up to you to pay whatever you need to get get the author to write for you instead of for Devtome.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 11:13:39 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 11:29:17 AM by markm

Speaking of specific articles or types of articles wanted for Devtome, it might be useful if people would write guides to how to most productively play various aspects of the Galactic Milieu game(s), maybe including for example how to rake in the most DeVCoins in the least amount of time, or the most DeVCoins per month, or the most DeVCoins per year or somesuch.

It is not clear how teaching people to go play some game that does not support DeVCoin helps DeVcoin whereas maybe the more people who play games that do incorporate or support DeVcoin or that are useful for earning DeVCoin the better?

Obviously such articles would best be written by people who have themselves made good DeVCoin by playing, so in a way this idea of writing such articles is as much a suggestion as to how players could make even more DeVCoins (write about how you made DeVCoins playing the game(s)) as to how authors could make even more DeVCoins (play the game(s) well enough to turn a profit...)

Right now I am still in the midst of getting my new datacentre set up so now is not quite yet the time to rush over and start playing the game(s) but I thought a heads up could be useful anyway since the power corporation already scoped out what is needed to hook up the power so the electrician is presumably even now in the process of setting up the wiring.

-MarkM-

ThinkI

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:25:04 AM

Two, you want a particular article for some other site or some other use, but do not mind if the author also places it on Devtome. Since any article placed on Devtome becomes free open source, this is really the same as number one above. You might be thinking well I need this article and yeah I do not care if they also put it on Devtome but really, if they do make such an article on devtome as in number one above you can then grab the article anyway, so this number two option is really just a different way of thinking about that same old number one option. You have to realise that everything on Devtome is up for grabs so maybe you don't need to commission an article for yourself, maybe you can commission one for Devtome and then, like any/every other Devtome article, grab it for your own use.

I like this one for user guides and similar. No-one cares about copyright, in fact copying is good,  and DevCoin can do the hosting for the guide. If the whole open source community used DevCoin for user guides then publicizing DevCoin would no longer be necessary. But there still has to be some payment from the person commissioning the work. This is to get the editors role (so you can make changes before publishing, ask for a redraft etc) and to make it worth the writers time compared to writing something else and publishing that on DevCoin.

ThinkI

BTC: 1AxYGFDnnw1PUo8TbQ83PCrenjQJBYU41Z | DVC: 1HKK5tswf8mXGsQng5naNEeqY44ZTHD3MY
ThinkI

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:29:34 AM

I like this one for user guides and similar. No-one cares about copyright, in fact copying is good,  and DevCoin can do the hosting for the guide. If the whole open source community used DevCoin for user guides then publicizing DevCoin would no longer be necessary. But there still has to be some payment from the person commissioning the work. This is to get the editors role (so you can make changes before publishing, ask for a redraft etc) and to make it worth the writers time compared to writing something else and publishing that on DevCoin.

ThinkI

Plus we want people to buy DevCoin with their coin...

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 11:31:13 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 11:41:50 AM by markm

Okay so then all the articles about how to earn World of Warcraft gold or League of Legends gold and so on through whatever other games there are guides on should all make sure to explain where and how to go about buying DeVCoins with that game-money...

For example maybe one method if people do like this Cyclos thing as a Bank of Devcoin or Devcoin Credit Union then joining that and using its advertising feature to advertise game-gold for sale could be one possible method.

EDIT: Also this probably means we should have market-makers for such game-currencies, that is, people/places who buy them for DeVCoins and sell them for (slightly more) DevCoins... Presumably if the people writing the guides really are good at the game they are writing about they should have plenty of the game-currency thus be in a good position to act as such a market-maker.

-MarkM-

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:46:15 AM

I see that there is a current user on Devtome that is doing League of Legends guides.
I am not like this person, his guides are copied and pasted over and over with very little actual information or depth.

I do not like it at all that he is taking advantage of devtome and i assure you my guides will be quality, lengthy, and very in depth.

I want to help people become better players, not take advantage of devtome. I really suggest removing that toxic user and his so-called "guides".

Anybody can use copy and paste.
There are a few people doing those guides. Which specific writer are you referring to? There was already a problem with one, now resolved. If you'd rather pm me that's fine (although I'm pro transparency so have no issue with public discussion of my or other's work - others may not agree though).

Markm: I signed up for that months ago but never received anything. Should I just try again?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 11:59:57 AM

Markm: I signed up for that months ago but never received anything. Should I just try again?

Assuming you mean the Cyclos instance aka DVCbank, yes try again now, I just upgraded you to full member.

-MarkM-

dalamar96

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 12:15:53 PM

I see a dalamar96 on the DVCbank too, and wow its from today too.

Looks like maybe a lot of the users I thought had been from long ago and not confirmed simply signed up so fast they were already there by the time I managed to get logged in as administrator!

So if you are one of them let me know here so I can change you from the default initial status of inactive member to a full member.

-MarkM-

Yeah, I signed up when you put the link up Smiley

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
DVC:   1ARHF6HmFL87Rw29qZi1x5TGTDzFDQxMFH
BTC:   19w38CCB8YaxmJHkNH8gMjZYjw64SkQCcM
DODG: DNzDJTJrPEsSYpDGmD2iCFUfK8iJjeqm7C
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 12:19:22 PM

Okay so then all the articles about how to earn World of Warcraft gold or League of Legends gold and so on through whatever other games there are guides on should all make sure to explain where and how to go about buying DeVCoins with that game-money...

For example maybe one method if people do like this Cyclos thing as a Bank of Devcoin or Devcoin Credit Union then joining that and using its advertising feature to advertise game-gold for sale could be one possible method.

EDIT: Also this probably means we should have market-makers for such game-currencies, that is, people/places who buy them for DeVCoins and sell them for (slightly more) DevCoins... Presumably if the people writing the guides really are good at the game they are writing about they should have plenty of the game-currency thus be in a good position to act as such a market-maker.

-MarkM-

Have to be careful here about the TOS of the game and in-game currencies and items for external trade etc...

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
bit-fxtrader

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:21:48 PM

About to apply for writing on devtome, should I pm my devcoin address or an email address? or both?

I downloaded the win client from here http://media.andarazoroflove.org I assume this is a legit site, just checking cause eset quarantined a piece of the installation.

I'm gonna give it another shot. Ran the uninstaller, do I need to delete some registry keys too before  attempting reinstall?

Pmed fuzzybear with my application. I still need to get a hold of a dvc address. Is there a windows client that doesn't get flagged by AVs?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 12:24:42 PM

Have to be careful here about the TOS of the game and in-game currencies and items for external trade etc...

Hence the existence of the Galactic Milieu. Smiley

I long ago realised the need for games that don't give people a hard time about doing as they please with their own characters and in-game possessions and so on, including using scripts to automate their characters.

( See for example http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=cpu_mining )

-MarkM-

dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 12:25:42 PM

LOL Now you have to compete with the Chinese Miners Smiley heheh

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 12:31:38 PM

So far the Chinese are not even a visible presence in the Galactic Milieu, let alone serious competition for the Brits, Canucks and Martians, heck maybe not even for the Italians or the Ixians.

There is at least one planet upon which a Chinese civilisation exists or at least did once upon a time exist, but so far no players to play it nor even to play citizens of it have appeared.

Maybe the Chinese are over-rated, or are too blinded by trivial earnings in the now to be more than just another bunch of Johnny-come-lately folk, that is, maybe they won't arrive until people who already set up infrastructure and trade deals and alliances and so on and so on are already making good money, so that they will end up being just the dirt cheap peasants the established, landed classes/nations hire to do the grunt-work for peanuts.

It seems likely that the best profits will be made by the people who already had infrastructure and processes in place to put cheap labour to work not by the cheap labourers themselves.

-MarkM-

weisoq

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:32:04 PM

Assuming you mean the Cyclos instance aka DVCbank, yes try again now, I just upgraded you to full member.

-MarkM-

Thanks, done.

bit-fxtrader: it's not an issue, but if that bothers you the 'Devcoin Setup Exe Windows32' here: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin is the one I originally installed and I don't recall any flag, although they're all built from the same source so I don't get the AV problem.
weisoq

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:03:49 PM

I am using the latest sourceforge wallet version, and the tx does not show up on the blockchain.

My balance is right except for the transaction which took away 10 mil.

Any suggestions?
Is something wrong with your system time? '1/2/2014' doesn't make sense whatever way round you look at it, if you're saying it's been 3 days.
bit-fxtrader

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:05:13 PM

-MarkM-

Thanks, done.

bit-fxtrader: it's not an issue, but if that bothers you the 'Devcoin Setup Exe Windows32' here: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin is the one I originally installed and I don't recall any flag, although they're all built from the same source so I don't get the AV problem.

I know it's safe but my issue is with stopping eset from quarantining it. Even if I turn it off it will still flag it later on scan. How can I whitelist it?

Tried your link too, got flagged on download.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 01:08:57 PM

If your anti-whatever tool has a whitelist at all, presumably it will say somewhere in its help or documentation how to go about making use of it?

-MarkM-

Pages: « 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: