Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:15:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 ... 610 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XCR] Crypti | Dapps | Sidechains | Dapp Store | OPEN SOURCE | 100% own code | DPoS  (Read 804603 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
5000Bitcoins

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 07:27:29 AM

.....I am under contract for my job through summer 2016. I can't legally quit even if I wanted to, so I can't change that. I would if I could, trust me.
That just does not compute, in my mind  Huh  Is this what they call, 'modern slavery'?

Hmm american, can't legally quit, no cellphones. Guessing the military?  Tongue Alternatively Elon Musk finished SpaceX earlier than expected and is taking Grex with him.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xtester

Activity: 840
Merit: 500

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 08:05:23 AM

.....I am under contract for my job through summer 2016. I can't legally quit even if I wanted to, so I can't change that. I would if I could, trust me.
That just does not compute, in my mind  Huh  Is this what they call, 'modern slavery'?

Hmm american, can't legally quit, no cellphones. Guessing the military?  Tongue Alternatively Elon Musk finished SpaceX earlier than expected and is taking Grex with him.

Indeed, Grex mentioned earlier he was working in the military.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:27:15 AM

I will also push for community involvement and try to get you all an in depth description of the problems we were having and what was causing them so you can help analyze the flaws and help to build a system that can accomplish what we originally set out to build.

U have 3 different algos (PoT, PoP and PoI) that contribute to the total "weight" of a node/account and determine who will forge next block? If this is the case then I suggest to split all blocks into 3 different types. Let blocks 0, 3, 6, 9, ... be forged with pure PoT, blocks 1, 4, 7, 10, ... - with pure PoP and blocks 2, 5, 8, 11, ... - with PoI. This will work as an alloy. Once the network starts diverging on the latest PoT block the next PoP will force it to converge again and the following PoI block should help a little too. So, if PoP and PoI work well enough then PoT issue should be mitigated, of coz, u have to have activity (purchases and merchant registrations) that lets PoP and PoI to take place.
Wulfcastle

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 09:32:49 AM

I will also push for community involvement and try to get you all an in depth description of the problems we were having and what was causing them so you can help analyze the flaws and help to build a system that can accomplish what we originally set out to build.

U have 3 different algos (PoT, PoP and PoI) that contribute to the total "weight" of a node/account and determine who will forge next block? If this is the case then I suggest to split all blocks into 3 different types. Let blocks 0, 3, 6, 9, ... be forged with pure PoT, blocks 1, 4, 7, 10, ... - with pure PoI and blocks 2, 5, 8, 11, ... - with PoI. This will work as an alloy. Once the network starts diverging on the latest PoT block the next PoP will force it to converge again and the following PoI block should help a little too. So, if PoP and PoI work well enough then PoT issue should be mitigated, of coz, u have to have activity (purchases and merchant registrations) that lets PoP and PoI to take place.

@ Devs

Come-from-Beyond is one of NXT's lead developers. Why don't you let him take a look at the source code too see if he could help with the PoT problem. I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that he'd like to take a look at Crypti's source code if the develpers allowed it.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:36:54 AM

@ Devs

Come-from-Beyond is one of NXT's lead developers. Why don't you let him take a look at the source code too see if he could help with the PoT problem. I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that he'd like to take a look at Crypti's source code if the develpers allowed it.

I don't have time for this, sorry.
starik69
Legendary

Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:51:38 AM

PoT is not impossible. The method we were using however simply isn't scalable
PoT is not impossible. But we dont know how to make it possible.  Roll Eyes
Nice  Grin
Passion_ltc

Activity: 714

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 11:10:22 AM

Nice  Grin

What are you trying to accomplish with your ongoing flaming and trolling? You were a 'normal' dude at the beginning of NXT. Now you are appearing like a 15yo boy.

samsmith16

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 12:26:26 PM

Nice  Grin

No one said we don't know how to make it possible.... We have solutions... however not sure we have found the best solution yet, which is why we are going ahead with a temporary PoT... while we work out the best permanent solution. 

Royalties
pays interest on Term Deposits up to 15%!! Yes even Cold Storage!!
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 12:36:43 PM

Any particular reason for this price drop or it's just normal alt-coin price fluctuation?

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
Elokane

Activity: 817

Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 12:47:36 PM

Any particular reason for this price drop or it's just normal alt-coin price fluctuation?

Literally look up one post

Synereo: liberating the Internet from abusive business models.

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart, he dreams himself your master.
<br>
starik69
Legendary

Activity: 1367

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:55:25 PM

Nice  Grin

No one said we don't know how to make it possible.... We have solutions... however not sure we have found the best solution yet, which is why we are going ahead with a temporary PoT... while we work out the best permanent solution. 
No one said you know how to make it possible....  Roll Eyes
To have solutions which may be or may be not working - is not "know how to make it possible"  Tongue
EtherCoin

Activity: 338
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:57:09 PM

That just does not compute, in my mind  Huh  Is this what they call, 'modern slavery'?

Lol is not that he CANNOT as in forced not to... but my guess is that he is tied by contract to face a severe penalty if he does indeed try to leave his work before the deal expires.

@Grexx and the others:

Damn guys, did the 99designs contest expired? I was travelling and didn't know you were looking for a image rebranding... I am designer and also have sent some works to 99designs, am I still on time to submit a proposal?

I just like to involve in the projects I have shares in )

Eth.
GreXX

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 12:58:57 PM

Nice  Grin

In case you didn't catch it, you're the asshat I was talking about.

GreXX

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 01:01:32 PM

U have 3 different algos (PoT, PoP and PoI) that contribute to the total "weight" of a node/account and determine who will forge next block? If this is the case then I suggest to split all blocks into 3 different types. Let blocks 0, 3, 6, 9, ... be forged with pure PoT, blocks 1, 4, 7, 10, ... - with pure PoI and blocks 2, 5, 8, 11, ... - with PoI. This will work as an alloy. Once the network starts diverging on the latest PoT block the next PoP will force it to converge again and the following PoI block should help a little too. So, if PoP and PoI work well enough then PoT issue should be mitigated, of coz, u have to have activity (purchases and merchant registrations) that lets PoP and PoI to take place.

@ Devs

Wulf we had conversations with him before about possibly even doing a code review but like he said, he is very busy with other projects.

GreXX

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 01:04:01 PM

That just does not compute, in my mind  Huh  Is this what they call, 'modern slavery'?

Lol is not that he CANNOT as in forced not to... but my guess is that he is tied by contract to face a severe penalty if he does indeed try to leave his work before the deal expires.

@Grexx and the others:

Damn guys, did the 99designs contest expired? I was travelling and didn't know you were looking for a image rebranding... I am designer and also have sent some works to 99designs, am I still on time to submit a proposal?

I just like to involve in the projects I have shares in )

Eth.

The contest is indeed over, however if you would like to submit something here and we go with it, we will provide a bounty equal to the prize.

GreXX

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 01:05:24 PM

And yes, for those inquiring, I had mentioned it previously but I've been in the air force for 14 years.

Wulfcastle

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 01:08:56 PM

@ Devs

Wulf we had conversations with him before about possibly even doing a code review but like he said, he is very busy with other projects.

Ah okay, just noticed JINN, one of his projects, on the NXT Forums.
Gaman

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:17:02 PM

Wow... price drop.  Time for bargain hunting.

▂ ▃ ▅ ▆   LUCRE DON'T HODL; TRADE!   ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂
BITCOIN & CRYPTO CURRENCY ALGORITHMIC TRADING & SIGNAL SERVICE ✓ 
▌▐ ▬▬▬▬▬  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Youtube ⬝  Meduim   ▬▬▬▬▬ ▌▐
MalReynolds
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:20:31 PM
Last edit: October 03, 2014, 05:40:09 PM by MalReynolds

The new simplified solution still bases forging on nodes being active, but it is a more random solution as it doesn't require sending of the extra overhead bits and isn't an http request so consensus isn't a problem in the timeframe we are aiming for. This solution works and will get us back online, but it still isn't ultimately our goal or the system we wish to implement long term. It is reminiscent of an early build we had before implementing the up-time calculations we had in the launch version....
<...>

Remember the goal was to reward users for running nodes in an equitable manner.
There are definitely other solutions and we will be looking into them.

Is the goal of rewarding users in an equitable manner for running nodes the right goal for Crypti to have?

This leads directly into a critical philosophical discussion and a practical solution for Crypti that I was going to wait about bringing up until things were more stable, but maybe it's time to have that discussion now.  

Start from first principles.  In any cryptocoin system, SOMEBODY must be selected to encrypt the current block and add it to the blockchain.  

PoW Bitcoin first motivated these "miners" by giving them a reward of newly created coins.  This created three problems.  

First, the new coins created every ten minutes is a huge source of monetary  inflation for the Bitcoin economy (despite Bitcoin's false propaganda to the contrary).  

Second, the miners are motivated to start a huge ASIC arms race that cannot be sustained and is headed very soon to becoming a classic case of ecological exponential growth / collapse (see http://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=7&show_header=true&scale=0&address=) .  Like the death of the dinosaurs, this will soon kill Bitcoin stone cold dead and open the landscape for a new 2.0 cryptocurrency to become king.

And finally, the Bitcoin approach is incredibly wasteful.  During every Bitcoin 10 minute block period, literally thousands of millions of billions of candidate blocks are generated for possible inclusion on the blockchain.   It takes tens of millions of dollars of gear to do this burning huge amounts of electricity.  Every single one of these block is mathematically correct as a block chain add-on.   All (except eventually for one) are rejected because they don't have enough "leading zeros" in the first part of their bit string to "win" the (illegal in all US States) DICE THROWING GAMBLING GAME being played by the miners to select who gets the new coins.   Bitcoin is no different than shooting dice in the back alley except they use computers for the dice and the internet for the back alley.  BESIDES BEING ILLEGAL, THIS IS A HUGE UNNECESSARY WASTE OF COMPUTER POWER.

PoS NXT solves the last two problems by cooperatively designating in advance one single person to generate the block every blocktime instead of competitively selecting in realtime the winner of a huge worldwide gambling contest every ten minutes as Bitcoin does.  Instead of the warehouse full of $2000 ASIC supercomputers the Bitcoin miner needs to win his lottery to forge a Bitcoin block, all a NXT forger needs is a single $35 Raspberry Pi (or better still, something just a little more powerful but still incredibly cheap like an ODROID-U3 : http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php).  This HUGE advantage alone means NXT will ultimately win over Bitcoin.

But NXT still feels the need to "reward" people for running nodes.  Since no new coins are being created like Bitcoin does, NXT "recycles" to node operators / "forgers" a small proportion a coins gathered as "fees" during a blocktime.  Well, that's OK, but to win the NXT lottery that single Raspberry Pi or ODROID-U3 has to be loaded up with as much NXT as possible (the "stake" in PoS) to maximize the chances of winning the NXT lottery.  This leads to a mentality that NXT needs to be hoarded by individuals instead of dispersed among many to form a merchant-based sales economy.  

Crypti wants to become the foundation for merchant-based sales.  So the devs have come up with "PoT/PoI/PoP" to replace NXT's PoS and so break out of the PoS inevitable coin-hoarding mentality.  This is indeed the next big step  and why I am interested in seeing Crypti succeed.

But in addition to breaking out of NXT's PoS coin-hoarding weakness, Crypti ALSO needs to break out of the real flaw that both Bitcoin and NXT share : the perceived need to reward node operators.

Rewarding node-operators just isn't necessary AT ALL.  Computers have become so cheap and so ubiquitous that it really isn't necessary to motivate people to operate them anymore.  There will be no stopping the cryptocoin that realizes and implements this fact.

Think about it.  In the real-world retail environment, the concept of "blocktime" is "ringing up a sale".  Are reward fees used to finance the operation of a cash register?  Is a cashier paid a "tip" for pushing the buttons and swiping a card / opening a cash drawer and making change?  NO!  Both the cash register and the clerk are so cheap they are both considered "overhead" in the operation of the sales environment and paid as an expense in the overall operation.  

With cheap sub-$100 computers like ODROID-U3 capable of making up ALL nodes in a Crypti network, the idea of coin-owners being needed to operate the nodes AT ALL, much less needing to be "REWARDED" for doing so, is ridiculous.  If Crypti is really being used by merchants as true money, the MERCHANT POOL running Crypti processing nodes will provide all the nodes required to secure the network, and can adjust their prices so running a cheap node is just another incidental business expense.  

So to repeat, there really isn't a need to have Crypti coin holders running nodes at all, much less be "rewarded" for doing so.   You've got 750 BTC worth between a quarter and half million dollars.  Go buy a thousand ODROID-U3s for $100,000 and let the devs set up a huge 1000-node Crypti network on those at relaunch.  As merchants sign up, power down an ODROID and mail it to them for FREE to start back up in their store.   Or let them download the code to put in an SD card and stick in a ODROID for a configuration-controlled addition to the network.  If Crypti is a successful cryptocoin of commerce, paying $100 for a little plastic brick to sit in a corner so they can join the fun is no big deal for ANY commercial vendor of ANY size.  They don't need to be rewarded every so often for such a small buy-in requirement, especially since the reward is a mere pittance anyway.

Remember, the key is not rewarding a node operator - it is cooperatively designating one to add the next block.

The real key is to get merchants to want that little plastic ODROID brick / Crypti node.  No mystery remote server setup for them, no bulky windows computer running 24/7 for them - just pull it out of an envelope, plug it into a wall socket, and access it thru a cell phone app / wifi to setup and processs sales transactions.   That should be the pitch.

Crypti alone isn't very enticing to lure a merchant  - it's just one of many cryptocoins and has a had rocky start to boot.  So the brick needs to offer something more than just Crypti to generate immediate interest.  Now, if its code could handle / automate BITCOIN operations NOW for a vendor as well as CRYPTI  operations as those ramp up in the FUTURE, I think there would be some real merchant interest in getting one.  Offer merchants something that can help them handle Bitcoin AND Crypti.  We gain market penetration based on the Bitcoin capabilities.  If and when Bitcoin falters, we have already arranged a seamless merchant transition to Crypti.  Merchants come for Bitcoin, they stay for Crypti.

Don't lose sight of what your primary goal for Crypti is: to become a non-hoarded coin for merchant use in sales transactions.  

Is working to perfect a PoT algorithm to reward coin-holders the most direct, most efficient, and most likely to succeed effort that will achieve that goal?

Or is concentrating on creating a dual Bitcoin transaction access / Crypti block creating cheap node that merchants will want for themselves NOW a better path?

Maybe this is not an either - or situation.  Maybe...do both?

My parting thought: if you are doing a major system reorganization anyway, take a step back and see how you can more tightly integrate a cheap, simple standardized building block like the ODROID-U3 into your revamped effort and so create something that will better advance Crypti with an additional hook like Bitcoin access to MAKE MERCHANTS WANT IT NOW.

Making merchants want it NOW:  that's the path forward for Crypti.
LetMeKnow

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:01:20 PM

Nice advice!
But isnt it better to make network completely decetralized? Why spend any money to make centralized Crypti network?

I think that forging-rewarding somehow attracts people and can help to make use of Crypti go viral. Esspecially because you dont need some high-end computer just a simple laptop.
Pages: « 1 ... 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 ... 610 »
  Print  

Jump to: