Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:47:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 [578] 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312493 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
MalMen

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 04:07:13 PM

You mean speculative store of value? I ever said that it is not store of value by traditional conventions. There is quite a few people in the world using bitcoin as store of value. All of them are speculators. That's why BitReserve exists.

In Bicoin - a payment network, bitcoin doesn't need to be a store of value, it is a medium of exchange. I think that many people are confused here.

It is too soon to say if bitcoin can become a store of value. I agree that store of value may be the most important utility in bitcoin in the future. But not now. Bitcoin's user base and network effect is simply too small.

If Bitcoin is a speculative store of value so is gold and silver. Bitcoin both has a limited supply by definition and a clear utility and is therefore a store of value.

Fiat currencies don't have a limited supply and are therefore not a store of value.

I agree more with digicoin, in the future you can look at bitcoin as an storage of value, in the current state is far from it, it is still to risky to put money on bitcoin, you dont know if it will stay down or up tomorrow, and the change is huge on everyday basis... even knowing that the bitcoin is extremely undervalued, but it shouldnt be seen as an way to store value, at least for now... the advice that i give to all my friends is  "buy bitcoin, even 10€, but be aware that it can lost his value"

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 04:24:18 PM

You mean speculative store of value? I ever said that it is not store of value by traditional conventions. There is quite a few people in the world using bitcoin as store of value. All of them are speculators. That's why BitReserve exists.

In Bicoin - a payment network, bitcoin doesn't need to be a store of value, it is a medium of exchange. I think that many people are confused here.

It is too soon to say if bitcoin can become a store of value. I agree that store of value may be the most important utility in bitcoin in the future. But not now. Bitcoin's user base and network effect is simply too small.

If Bitcoin is a speculative store of value so is gold and silver. Bitcoin both has a limited supply by definition and a clear utility and is therefore a store of value.

Fiat currencies don't have a limited supply and are therefore not a store of value.

I agree more with digicoin, in the future you can look at bitcoin as an storage of value, in the current state is far from it, it is still to risky to put money on bitcoin, you dont know if it will stay down or up tomorrow, and the change is huge on everyday basis... even knowing that the bitcoin is extremely undervalued, but it shouldnt be seen as an way to store value, at least for now... the advice that i give to all my friends is  "buy bitcoin, even 10€, but be aware that it can lost his value"

I don't think you know what store of value means.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 04:51:34 PM

Store of value means: you invest today 10 euros into an asset and tomorrow you are able to sell the asset for 10 euros. Therefore the requirement for a store of value is stability at least at some degree.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:26:00 PM

As far of 'store of value', I feel pretty confident in holding savings in Monero from 40 to 60 cents. 

It would be pretty insane for the price to drop below the 35 cents range, and there is a good chance that demand (and thus price) will increase over time. 

Therefore Monero makes quite a nice money store at the moment, with the potential for significant gains as we go.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:42:56 PM

I think people who hold bitcoin over the long-term are going to find that it stores value very well.

And I look forward to making a chart like this for Monero in five or six years.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:44:53 PM

Store of value means: you invest today 10 euros into an asset and tomorrow you are able to sell the asset for 10 euros. Therefore the requirement for a store of value is stability at least at some degree.

I would say that a mix of 75% USD 25% XMR beats XBT as a store of value hands down.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:49:44 PM

I think people who hold bitcoin over the long-term are going to find that it stores value very well.

I dispute that figure of 0.07 USD for 1 XBT on January 01, 2010. The figure was closer to 0.0008 USD. This would imply a fast declining rate of growth as the demand approaches the fixed 1 MB blocksize limit in Bitcoin.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:07:49 PM

No it does not. That is a stupid way to measure as it would make Euros themselves the best store of value. Fiat currencies lose value really quickly because they are diluted. Look up the prices of things in the US in 1900 and you'll see.

Bitcoin is a store of value because you still own the same percentage of the utility of the Bitcoin network today and tmw (because it is non-inflationary). As long as the utility does not go down (and the utility is exponentially rising due to the networking effect) you still own the same utility by owning the same percentage of the entire network and so haven't lost any value. This is true with Bitcoin at $0.01 and $5T.
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:10:30 PM

Full transparency of historical transactions as well as displaying the actual amount on a public address cannot be a long term "Store of Value". I don't want anyone to know how much "money" is associated with my address, that is a fundamental that Bitcoin can never overcome.

What we do see is an immense network effect in Bitcoin.
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:19:18 PM

I dispute that figure of 0.07 USD for 1 XBT on January 01, 2010. The figure was closer to 0.0008 USD.

I just checked it. You're right.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:History#2010

laszlos famous pizza purchase at 10,000 BTC for ~$25 worth of pizza is .0025 BTC per pizza and that was in May.

.07 USD per bitcoin wasn't reached until after October 2010.

.29 / .0008 = 362.5

So 2010 was more like a 36,250% increase?

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:42:53 PM

Full transparency of historical transactions as well as displaying the actual amount on a public address cannot be a long term "Store of Value". I don't want anyone to know how much "money" is associated with my address, that is a fundamental that Bitcoin can never overcome.

That's overstating things a bit since you can have as many Bitcoin addresses as you want.

And that.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:47:00 PM

No it does not. That is a stupid way to measure as it would make Euros themselves the best store of value. Fiat currencies lose value really quickly because they are diluted. Look up the prices of things in the US in 1900 and you'll see.

Bitcoin is a store of value because you still own the same percentage of the utility of the Bitcoin network today and tmw (because it is non-inflationary). As long as the utility does not go down (and the utility is exponentially rising due to the networking effect) you still own the same utility by owning the same percentage of the entire network and so haven't lost any value. This is true with Bitcoin at $0.01 and $5T.

Mostly agree with wachtwoord here although I think limiting it to the utility of the Bitcoin network is taking it too far. Expecting to be able to exchange that value into a useful amount of other goods is also a part of it.

All sorts of assets can be considered as stores of value, including all manner of investments, even if they don't have a constant or nearly-constant exchange rate. All that is required is a reasonable expectation of it having value in the future.

"Store of value" is one function of ideal money, but the definition doesn't go in the other direction; other assets can also serve.
americanpegasus

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 09:20:15 PM

Here's hoping this is our "2011" in the coming year. 

I just made a post on /r/Monero asking people what would be their magic number that Monero would have to hit before they quit their day job and retired to beaches and room service or went full-Ver.  My magic number is about $400.  Feel free to share yours.

americanpegasus

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 09:23:50 PM

This is a really fun website: http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/payentitlements/military-pay-charts.html

Check out historic pay for US military members throughout the years.  You'll see that as early as 1995, military members with 10 years of experience were being given a basic pay of as little as $13,000 a year.  The further you go back, the more ridiculous the inflation becomes evident.  You can see back in 1970 how someone with significant rank and experience would only get a basic pay of about $500 a month!

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 09:37:36 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2015, 06:02:30 AM by smooth

Here's hoping this is our "2011" in the coming year. 

I just made a post on /r/Monero asking people what would be their magic number that Monero would have to hit before they quit their day job and retired to beaches and room service or went full-Ver.  My magic number is about $400.  Feel free to share yours.

$20 if it held for a while. Not because my XMR would be worth so much but only because I'd see enough potential to work on it full time (not necessarily core, but some aspect of it). I already spend a lot of time on the beach, so no biggie there. But remember, the plan includes one beautiful woman from each continent and I'm a few continents short currently.
americanpegasus

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 10:05:07 PM

But remember, the plan includes one beautiful woman from each continent and I'm a few continents short currently.

Sorry man, like Cryptonote, the plan has evolved while you weren't looking.  The plan now is to buy Dracula's castle and the surrounding land and restore/add-on/promote it as one of the greatest tourist destinations on the planet.  

I have realized that there is only one way to manage the castle equivalent of the Playboy mansion, and so I will need to introduce a definite rank structure for all of the staff.  Staff may start out with very little to their name, but every year worked on the property brings increasing benefits, salary, and perks regardless of your job - some are maids, some cooks, and some just get to lay around in a mermaid costume by the pool all day.  

We will be highly selective about those we hire, and exceptionally reward those who spend an entire career working and living at the castle.  

This is the only way to go.  

If you are some crypto-mogul who invites 70 Instagram models to come live with you, all at the same time, and all on the same initial level, you can expect nothing but frustration and headaches for the rest of your days.  

You may also get to find out what it's like to be worth a billion dollars.... After being one of history's first trillionaires.  Cheesy Wink

tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 10:21:19 PM

That's overstating things a bit since you can have as many Bitcoin addresses as you want.

A store of value cannot be the same as having to divide it into multiple different accounts or safety deposits just for privacy. A public record of the amount of something one holds can be tax liens, criminal records and convictions, not my money. The value of a unit inside an address is immaterial. It just cannot be a safe store of value.

And that.

Are you disagreeing that Bitcoin has immense network effect?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 11:24:36 PM

And that.

No, agreeing!

At least, I agree it is immense relative to Monero. It is tiny relative to the traditional fiat currency system.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 11:43:40 PM

And that.

No, agreeing!

At least, I agree it is immense relative to Monero. It is tiny relative to the traditional fiat currency system.

Bitcoin is still tiny compared for example to the Somalian subset of the hawala network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawala#Horn_of_Africa

Ignore the traditional fiat nonsense; focus on System D.  The fiat will burn itself out as the paper inevitably returns to its intrinsic value.

Watch out informal remittance systems, we're gunning for ya!   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4927

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:00:05 AM

I would say that a mix of 75% USD 25% XMR beats XBT as a store of value hands down.

I completely agree with this statement at this point in time.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Pages: « 1 ... 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 [578] 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: