Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:56:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 [1504] 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312341 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 06:29:03 AM

Is this refutable: http://monerolink.com/monerolink.pdf ?

Basic article about the research here: http://www.altcointoday.com/monero-transactions-traceable/

Good lord is it difficult to figure which currency is the "most" anonymous (Dash, Zcash, Monero, Verge, ZenCash etc).

Then, on top of that, which one has "enough" privacy for the masses. And which are easy/easiest to use?

I do feel like it only makes sense for one anonymous coin to survive long term. I don't think it will be added to Bitcoin in a fork. Believe it or not, the masses really don't care about their privacy.

i can picture it that in the year 2020, some scientist expose weak algo in monero hash that enable any transaction prior to 2018 to be exposed,  the monero community automatically call the scientist as troll because the weak algo already patched in December 2019.

BTW: did bts just goes above your MK guys  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
novag

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

novag

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2017, 08:06:28 AM

Time to buy to the fullest!

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/e6W7phyk-Flag-pattern-in-XMR

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRUSD/5ma3fl6H-XMR-USD-Consolidating-at-ATH

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/EWHmlT95-Long-XMR

Donate for the support of a new Martial arts Style - Aikivindo = Aikido + Wing-Chun (in Ukraine) 5168757318423326 PrivatBank.
http://aikivindo.com.ua
BTC:1DpRaQjdVmrkSopRV8p9RdwvBMWNA9faCS
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 11:57:46 AM

i can picture it that in the year 2020, some scientist expose weak algo in monero hash that enable any transaction prior to 2018 to be exposed, 

I think this Dr. Scientist will rather focus on some other coins. Monero is simple build it is not build on Bitcoin and then added anonymity with mixers. With those coins there is way more things where can go wrong and that way way more chances for Dr. Scientist get his results.

Monero will be most private coin in 2020 as it is today and as it was 2015.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:06:32 PM
Last edit: June 10, 2017, 06:01:07 PM by aminorex

Dash is the main competitor to Monero but it is going down as I lowered my bids on Dash.

Dash is not even remotely competitive.  It is simply and purely a scam to steal money from the foolish and ignorant. The market cap of dash is an illusion created by temporarily removing most of the supply into masternodes which monitor all the transactions and insure that 90% of the network traffic goes through NSA controlled routers.  When the scam bubble pops all of those masternodes will get liquidated in a huge rush to the exits, crushing all the innocent holders. The only reason why a masternode holder (other than a "national security" unit) is willing to take that risk is the illusion of yield.  Let me give you a hint: Hard money has no yield.  If it has a yield, it is a scam, and eventually that illusion will blow away.  It took 46 years for the soveriegn fiat illusion of yield to disappear.  I can assure you with confidence that it won't take that long for the dash masternode rentiers to get their come-uppance.  They lack armies and nuclear missiles, for one thing.

Another example of a moral crime against humanity is zcash, which taxes it's foolish users 20% for the priviledge of being subjected to infinite surprise dilution, and using gee whiz math that 99.999% of the buyers don't understand. I would not want to face that Nuremburg justice when it comes.

Ignorant and foolish people think they are clever because they are making money.  Well, a rising tide lifts all boats.  It is only when the tide goes out that we discover who was swimming naked. I will be covering my private parts with Monero when that happens, simply because I think it provides the best cover * liquidity value in known space.

You can call me arrongant or insensitive, trollish, or book talking, or whatever you like, but if one person is saved from embezzlement and  poverty by my warnings, I will consider the reputation burn well spent.

That said, yes, there will always be the possibility of some future deanonymizing innovation as long as we rely on computational asymmetries.  That is why defense in depth is so crucial.  Your contributions to Kovri now may be late to the party, but will nonetheless be welcomed (after thorough peer review).  Eventually we may incorporate a decoherence layer into peer communications to prevent information leakage, but the technology is not yet widely available.  Eventually q.c. will destroy even zksnarks, but by then we will have new quantum-ready tech in place, at least if I have anything to say about it.  

And I would not be alone, I am sure, in being willing to cowboy-fork if necessary, when that time comes.  Although, I do not believe it will be necessary, given the prudential responsibility demonstrated by the core team to date.  (Also, I do think any new quantum ready PRs would be very premature at this point. We won't want them until we expect to actually need them.  Until then they would just be valueless added risk.)

Anyhow, cheap coins, yo.  When the facts change, so do my opinions: I am buying anything under $52 these days.  I think in the very worst case they might be under water until August, but I still say the June/July scenario ranks are skewed positive, so I am willing to take that much duration risk. All it takes to prove me wrong is one large persistent seller in size, but so far all the evidence has been that transactions in size are overwhelmingly biased towards long term holds.  Hence, the intermittent level-up jumps, each time the float supply gets drained off into reserve demand.  Even a growing economy can't prevent some profit taking by speculators, after a big jump, so you have to expect some dips to follow the jumps.  That, my friends, is our great opportunity, as patient and prudent buyers.  The FUD storms help us, as much as I hate to admit it.  I much, much prefer gains by honest value-add and legitimate, well-reasoned and soundly founded "risk-taking".

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:42:29 PM

Dash is not even remotely competitive.  It is simply and purely a scam to steal money from the foolish and ignorant. The market cap of dash is an illusion created by temporarily removing most of the supply into masternodes which monitor all the transactions and insure that 90% of the network traffic goes through NSA controlled routers.  When the scam bubble pops all of those masternodes will get liquidated in a huge rush to the exits, crushing all the innocent holders.

Foolish they may be, but I don't think the holders are so innocent. DASH is best understood as a novel transparent Ponzi scheme. Duffield used to openly talked about crunching supply for the sake of raising the price so it's hardly a nefarious secret. Even today their marketing consists of creepy infomercial-like presentations designed to reel in new users. But the key is that those users go in consciously hoping to pull off the same on future buyers.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:52:55 PM

I don't think the holders are so innocent. ...it's hardly a nefarious secret. Even today their marketing consists of creepy infomercial-like presentations designed to reel in new users. But the key is that those users go in consciously hoping to pull off the same on future buyers.

I grant you that, but sometimes ignorance is innocent.  There will always be people who want to use cash tech for cash tech purposes. It is nefarious to offer cash tech but supply crash tech, which is also a thing, actually occuring.

Yeah, there is nothing disingenuous about promoting a Ponzi as a Ponzi (although there is something nefarious about it).  But I still wish I could convince people that their rational expectation is negative, even if I can not convince them that they should attend to the categorical imperative (of Kant, a/k/a the Golden Rule of Jesus Christ, sometimes attributed to Hillel) - and no less when investing, speculating, or even gambling, than otherwise.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:59:54 PM

Dash is not even remotely competitive.  It is simply and purely a scam to steal money from the foolish and ignorant. The market cap of dash is an illusion created by temporarily removing most of the supply into masternodes which monitor all the transactions and insure that 90% of the network traffic goes through NSA controlled routers.  When the scam bubble pops all of those masternodes will get liquidated in a huge rush to the exits, crushing all the innocent holders.

Foolish they may be, but I don't think the holders are so innocent. DASH is best understood as a novel transparent Ponzi scheme. Duffield used to openly talked about crunching supply for the sake of raising the price so it's hardly a nefarious secret. Even today their marketing consists of creepy infomercial-like presentations designed to reel in new users. But the key is that those users go in consciously hoping to pull off the same on future buyers.

According to your definition also bitcoin can be considered as a ponzi scheme.
Basically anything that is valuable is with limited supply.
Basically Putin's watches can be considered as a ponzi scheme https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-06/putins-patek-philippe-5208p-grand-complication-for-auction

They are with limited supply and the supply is tied to the wrist/collection of Putin.

Pump and dump I would call a scam but definetely not a pump. Pump and dump schemes are meant to rake money from the suckers but if Dash basically pumps, the hodlers will only benefit and the newcomers pay the spot and see some appreciation via hodling a bag, and with a good luck also gets some new coins via masternodes.

Pyramid I would call it Dash but it is not a bad thing necessarily.

That being said, I hope Dash will drop because I have bids. To speak to my book I should bash Dash.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 06:13:16 PM

On this we may significantly disagree.  Had I appreciated the severity of the flaws in versions of Monero before RingCT, and had no faith in the team to manage the issue as they did, in the breach, I would have been railing against Monero likewise, but not for intentionally centralizing and materially facilitating the defungibilization of the currency - only for lacking the competence to make a meaningful distinction as against, e.g., boolberry.  

I do think that the actual technical and economic characteristics of real hard money will dominate in the long run.  Monero has them.  To my mind anything that pretends to have similar utility and value but lacks those characteristics is an imposture and a fraud.  Stop calling it money when it doesn't have the essential qualities of money, stop classing it with Monero when it does not belong in the same class, and I will probably just ignore it.  As it is, I feel it is needful to warn against such schemes.

If you want to collect rare Pepes that's none of my business.  I would advise however that the cultural value of Putin's Patek-Phillipe is likely to be much more persistent.  Even Mao's very perishable mangos have greater persistent value than Dash.

eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 06:43:17 PM

Basically Putin's watches can be considered as a ponzi scheme https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-06/putins-patek-philippe-5208p-grand-complication-for-auction

No, it's not about limited supply or about selling higher than one bought it for. Ponzis promise payout (but rely on reeling in new investors because they do not possess a real business generating cash flow). Bitcoin has no payout; it's just a commodity and does not pretend to be more than that. DASH's value proposition is predicated on paying out interest to special nodes.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 06:49:52 PM

No, it's not about limited supply or about selling higher than one bought it for. Ponzis promise payout (but rely on reeling in new investors because they do not possess a real business generating cash flow). Bitcoin has no payout; it's just a commodity and does not pretend to be more than that. DASH's value proposition is predicated on paying out interest to special nodes.

It is claimed that Satoshi Nakamoto owns around 1 million bitcoins and he mined them when mining bitcoins was easy ("premine").
Well, if you want to call running masternode a ponzi, be my guest but in my opinion it is one way of mining coins. The coins need to be mined in one way or another in crypto.
You can buy many things with Dash as far as I know. I do not know how much it is used for buying goods/services, and that's up to the community what they within themselves want to buy/sell for Dash. Many want to speculate with the price increase and therefore are not too hesitant to use it but chose rather hold it for longer.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 06:53:26 PM

On this we may significantly disagree.  Had I appreciated the severity of the flaws in versions of Monero before RingCT, and had no faith in the team to manage the issue as they did, in the breach, I would have been railing against Monero likewise, but not for intentionally centralizing and materially facilitating the defungibilization of the currency - only for lacking the competence to make a meaningful distinction as against, e.g., boolberry.  

I do think that the actual technical and economic characteristics of real hard money will dominate in the long run.  Monero has them.  To my mind anything that pretends to have similar utility and value but lacks those characteristics is an imposture and a fraud.  Stop calling it money when it doesn't have the essential qualities of money, stop classing it with Monero when it does not belong in the same class, and I will probably just ignore it.  As it is, I feel it is needful to warn against such schemes.

If you want to collect rare Pepes that's none of my business.  I would advise however that the cultural value of Putin's Patek-Phillipe is likely to be much more persistent.  Even Mao's very perishable mangos have greater persistent value than Dash.

From the point of view of economics, what do you see the main problem with Dash?

Money needs to be a store of value, means of exchange and measure of value. What are the characteristics of money that Dash is lacking?
Hatat

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 07:34:40 PM

From the point of view of economics, what do you see the main problem with Dash?

Money needs to be a store of value, means of exchange and measure of value. What are the characteristics of money that Dash is lacking?

The only problem is that the Dash is very centralised.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 08:04:34 PM

To be a store of value an asset must either be issued by an extremely powerful and relatively trustworthy central entity (USD) or be as close to trustless as possible (BTC XMR).  Dash is exactly neither of these.

To be a means of exchange an asset should be in use aside from speculation. (USD BTC XMR)  Not so much dash.

To be a measure of value?  Just about anything fits that bill.

Dash is a centralized, pre-mined, ponzi scheme.
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 08:06:44 PM

Jesus, man... do you ever actually READ anything here online?

Or you just log in to spout your verbiage without regard to anyone else's contributions to the dialog?

PAY ATTENTION, PLEASE... for the LAST time, it's:

FUNGIBILITY, man!

Fungibility! Fungibility! Fungibility!

Monero has it -- for the first time in human history in any crypto, in fact -- and so far EVERY OTHER CRYPTO DOES NOT HAVE IT.

That includes Bitcoin.  Bitcoin doesn't have true full fungibility and that's it's biggest and likely final, FATAL, flaw.

Coins are trackable, traceable, identifiable, black-list-able... so they ain't FUNGIBLE.

Monero IS NOT *any* of those '-able's' above, and it IS fully and completely fungible.

End. Of. Story.

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 08:34:30 PM

To be a store of value an asset must either be issued by an extremely powerful and relatively trustworthy central entity (USD) or be as close to trustless as possible (BTC XMR).  Dash is exactly neither of these.

To be a means of exchange an asset should be in use aside from speculation. (USD BTC XMR)  Not so much dash.

To be a measure of value?  Just about anything fits that bill.

Dash is a centralized, pre-mined, ponzi scheme.

Why exactly Dash method of using it as a store of value is worse than Central bank or decentralization as BTC or XMR?
Dash is decentrilized at some extent. Perhaps not as much as Monero but definetely there are more than 1-2 different masternodes, aren't there.

How do you know what is the use case of Dash? They have decent amount of places you can use Dash last time I checked (a few months ago).
Bear in mind, also Dash is accepted by Trezor so it is easy to store them in a safe manner.

You call Dash premined, well also bitcoin can be called premined at some extent (Satoshi and the few early miners mined shitloads of coins).
If you call Dash a ponzi-scheme, so is bitcoin. You get payouts if you mine bitcoins in the same way you get payouts for running a masternode don't you?
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 10:43:53 PM

1096 active nodes (highest I've observed). HR rising.  Exchange action stagnating.  Powder keg?
BongaManollo

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 11:38:10 PM

It is claimed that Satoshi Nakamoto owns around 1 million bitcoins and he mined them when mining bitcoins was easy ("premine").

We all know that is not one person and that they hodl this to ensure that there is one entity to have enough to make sure they have enough coins so if there will be whales they are the biggest. BTC is just an art-project which became a really good one for everybody. No premine at all, just common sense.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4884

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 12:00:28 AM

Well, if you want to call running masternode a ponzi, be my guest but in my opinion it is one way of mining coins. The coins need to be mined in one way or another in crypto.
You can buy many things with Dash as far as I know. I do not know how much it is used for buying goods/services, and that's up to the community what they within themselves want to buy/sell for Dash. Many want to speculate with the price increase and therefore are not too hesitant to use it but chose rather hold it for longer.

I normally don't quote or answer trolls but tell me o wise one how they were supposed to support the blockchain in it's infancy without mining it?
Do you even know why difficulty rises?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 08:39:06 AM

Mobile wallet soon?

https://twitter.com/CoinomiWallet/status/873710725369393152

coinomi‏
@CoinomiWallet

Replying to @cryptotroller @fluffypony @jaxx_io
We can confirm that $XMR is being integrated as we speak by our engineers thanks to @fluffypony. It couldn't be any other way, we 💙 $XMR Smiley)

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 08:40:35 AM

I know the guys from Coinomi they are Greeks - I assure you they are doing their best and the product is high quality (monero is on their favorite list and I expect them to implement xmr very soon)!
Pages: « 1 ... 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 [1504] 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: