Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:27:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: would you be interested in an next generation ASIC trade up program for your ModMiner Quad?
YES
NO

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 »
  Print  
Author Topic: High Efficiency FPGA & ASIC Bitcoin Mining Devices https://BTCFPGA.com  (Read 218400 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 02:26:59 PM

You are using a compatible Router (in my case I currently use an ASUS RT-16n, I have used a Cisco/Linksys 3000 and 4200v1) - it controls my FPGAs using cgminer, the router uses max 8 watts vs 200watts for a PC
What computer uses 200W at idle? Mine uses 85W, and it's not a small or cheap system. Most laptops will be between 20-30W, and my old netbook used to use 12W.
Good for you, I'm so happy your using power efficient units.

Where did I say idle or laptops?
You did not say idle, but since we're talking about mining with USB devices (and nothing else), the CPU will pretty much be idle the entire time.

My point is just that while DD-WRT is totally kickass, the power savings aren't really all that much.

If the computer is off while your not using it, the small savings add up.

how's the security of a router stand up to that of running cgminer in linux?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 03:08:56 PM

You are using a compatible Router (in my case I currently use an ASUS RT-16n, I have used a Cisco/Linksys 3000 and 4200v1) - it controls my FPGAs using cgminer, the router uses max 8 watts vs 200watts for a PC
What computer uses 200W at idle? Mine uses 85W, and it's not a small or cheap system. Most laptops will be between 20-30W, and my old netbook used to use 12W.
Good for you, I'm so happy your using power efficient units.

Where did I say idle or laptops?
You did not say idle, but since we're talking about mining with USB devices (and nothing else), the CPU will pretty much be idle the entire time.

My point is just that while DD-WRT is totally kickass, the power savings aren't really all that much.

If the computer is off while your not using it, the small savings add up.

Fine, I run it behind my regular firewall. If your paranoid, use ssh keys for access, docs are on any web search.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 04:24:48 PM

All the routers in question here are Linux. And if someone can break into your router, they can bypass it entirely. So the security of the network depends on the security of the router itself.

rb2k

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 04:31:00 PM

Just wanted to add a little bit of positive feedback about Tom.

I ordered an FPGA unit, waited a bit, got the USPS tracking number and then watched the USPS page not change for a few weeks.
I called USPS, they said it's probably stuck in customs. I called customs and they said that they don't have anything matching on records.
I mailed Tom and asked if he could open a claim with USPS, he offered to reimburse me. While it did feel weird because neither of us did anything wrong, I accepted the Bitcoin and Tom came through.

Great customer service, fast responses to emails, I'll happily do future business with him.
It's nice to see that somebody is valuing customer happiness.
Mobius

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 04:34:11 PM

All the routers in question here are Linux. And if someone can break into your router, they can bypass it entirely. So the security of the network depends on the security of the router itself.

Your point being what? What specifically do you want to interject with your comment? Unless you wish to spread more FUD and instill fear among potential users? Which router? Since DD-WRT is used so wide spread, including several manufacturers of routers, it seems a good bet that it is a good choice. My comments were specifically toward the hardware that is controlling that is running the miner program.

If you use a piece of hardware (router) to run a miner, it is just as vulnerable as any PC on your network, unless you take steps to harden it. DD-WRT does a good job of hardening their setups.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 04:37:48 PM

Your point being what? What specifically do you want to interject with your comment? Which router? My comments were specifically toward the hardware that is controlling that is running the miner program.

If you use a piece of hardware (router) to run a miner, it is just as vulnerable as any PC on your network, unless you take steps to harden it. DD-WRT does a good job of hardening their setups.
I was agreeing with you, and trying to explain to cypherdoc why it was obviously just as secure.

Mobius

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 04:47:38 PM

Your point being what? What specifically do you want to interject with your comment? Which router? My comments were specifically toward the hardware that is controlling that is running the miner program.

I was agreeing with you, and trying to explain to cypherdoc why it was obviously just as secure.

Your original comment shows your intended objective of mis-information. As per your your statement, It can be generalized in this context, if you use DD-WRT to run cgminer, someone can break into your router.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 05:51:29 PM

Please don't.
I know who they are, and how they operate.
If you want additional downtime go with them.
Can you please elaborate? I would like more details since I'm relying on them more and more.

I had no issues until now, but it's only a few months.

Thanks for any info

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 05:57:44 PM

Your original comment shows your intended objective of mis-information. As per your your statement, It can be generalized in this context, if you use DD-WRT to run cgminer, someone can break into your router.
I"m not Luke's biggest fan, but I honestly don't see what your problem is here. I don't see any problem with his post.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 06:01:38 PM

Um, no u? Don't know how you completely misread what I said.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 07:15:56 PM

but if you're running ufw in linux in addition to the router firewall, wouldn't you get a layering effect of security?
Plazzman

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 09:15:05 PM

Tom,
   Any word on the new bitstream we are supposed to get for existing mod owner's?
TML sucks hind end in my opinion..!!!  Grin
cablepair (OP)

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2012, 12:13:04 AM

Tom,
   Any word on the new bitstream we are supposed to get for existing mod owner's?
TML sucks hind end in my opinion..!!!  Grin

It should be nearly done, I will try and get ahold of Glasswalker and see how the progress is coming.
scrybe

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 08:47:30 AM

to be accurate:
IF you use DD-WRT to run cgminer, ON your only router that is connected to the internet, THEN you are exposing the security of your router.
IF you use DD-WRT to run cgminer, ON a secondary router that is connected to a DMZ, THEN you are not exposing the security of your internet router with cgminer AND cgminer is protected by the firewall in the Internet router.

Think of the DD-WRT running cgminer as a server. If you put it on the Internet directly, it better be very secure, or you are going to have a bad day. It's much better to have a firewall/router (performing NAT as well) and one or more of these "micro-servers running on router hardware" behind it.

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
whizter

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 10:07:26 AM

Hey, I'm about to preorder a 27GH device, but I can't find info on the Power usage anywhere. Will it be about 30W like the BFL products?

███████████████████▄▄▄
        ████████████████████████▄▄
           ████████████████████████▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████▄
    ███████████████       ▀▀███████████
        ███████               ██████████
        ███████                ██████████
████████   ████████             █████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄████████             █████████
        ███████████             █████████
    ████   ████████            ██████████
    ████   ████████           ██████████
        ███    ████       ▄▄███████████
    ▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄██████████████████████▀
    ███████████████████████████████▀
████    ████████████████████████▀▀
████    ███████████████████▀▀▀
DIMCOIN   
❱❱❱  facebook  ❱❱❱  twitter  ❱❱❱  Telegram  ❱❱❱
.The Future of Equity on The Blockchain.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 10:16:58 AM

Hey, I'm about to preorder a 27GH device, but I can't find info on the Power usage anywhere. Will it be about 30W like the BFL products?

Power specs haven't been released yet.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 12:10:35 PM

IF you use DD-WRT to run cgminer, ON your only router that is connected to the internet, THEN you are exposing the security of your router.

Why is that? What about other firmware like tomato?

Hai
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 02:59:26 PM

Power specs haven't been released yet.

M

Yeah, I have a feeling these companies want to suck as many preorders in before releasing horrible power consumption specs =(.....

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 03:32:17 PM

Yeah, I have a feeling these companies want to suck as many preorders in before releasing horrible power consumption specs =(.....

actually bAsic (tom) will refund your preorder at any time, so he said.

Hai
cablepair (OP)

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2012, 03:38:20 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2012, 04:23:20 PM by cablepair

That is not true for us.

As I have stated before our production boards are not completed yet, and therefore I do not have solid power consumption numbers yet.

But guess what? EITHER DO MY COMPETITORS!

Sure I can post a "simulated" or "estimated" power usage number - but its not going to be accurate. You really think BFL is going to give 1Gh/s per watt? keep dreaming.

These energy efficiency numbers from my competitors are simply estimates and are not going to be accurate. I give you my personal guarantee that our products will have energy efficiency that is competitive to any other ASIC product on the market.

Let me just remind you of one little thing, and keep in mind I am not trying to talk bad about BFL I am just stating verifiable facts.

When BFL was getting ready to release their FPGA Based Mining Device the BFL Bitforce single they claimed it would do 1Gh/s @ 20watts

When the device was finally released it did 832Mh/s @ 80watts!

Our Flagship FPGA Bitcoin Mining Device - the ModMiner Quad - when we first advertised it - we claimed it would do 840Mh/s @ 40 watts and guess what? Thats what it does!
the ModMiner Quad mines at the same speed as the BFL BitForce single except the ModMiner Quad is TWICE AS ENERGY EFFICIENT!

Also just to note: We released the very first Quad FPGA Bitcoin mining device and it is currently one of the most if not the most energy efficient mining device readily available.

I am not going to give you estimated power usage that is going to be inaccurate like everyone else is doing. We are too close to having the real numbers and I promise you that as soon as I have them - you will too.

And yes as of right now I still have an open refund policy. If you change your mind on your pre-order just send me an email and I will process the refund right away - only 2 people have done this since I began taking pre-orders on 09/03 - and believe me my other customers will be happy to have your order out of the way Smiley Also while we are on that topic it is likely the refund policy will change when we go into production because I am going to have to spend a LOT of money to have these boards made (the bASIC order count around 700 as of right now) and I still have to finish paying back the investor that fronted the money to have the chips made. When the time gets close to start production of the boards - I will give a weeks notice on the change of refund policy so anyone that wants to change their mind will have enough time to do it, however just like ModMiner Quad owners are happy as hell with them - I know you guys are going to love this little device. It was engineers in California who are at the very top of their profession. This is a really special product and you guys are going to love it.
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 »
  Print  

Jump to: