Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:34:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 232 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I am pretty confident we are the new wealthy elite, gentlemen.  (Read 631774 times)
Oscilson

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 03:08:51 PM

The difficulty is now too high for investments in mining to really be profitable unless you do it really big... which most people cannot afford to do..

Honestly I can make 100 or 200 per day selling BTC on localbitcoins.com, which I think is a lot more profitable and less risky than mining.

Do you buy from exchanges and sell locally?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 05:22:32 PM

I don't think the original poster realize the amount of resistance bitcoin will get from the government and banking industry.

When all rules and regulation are put in place for bitcoin, it will be little different from fiat and wire transfer.

That doesn't make any sense.  There's no way any authority can prevent 2 people from engaging in a business transaction where one pays BTC in exchange for goods/services from another.  By its very nature BTC cannot be regulated in fact, only in appearance.

I have BTC in my wallet, somebody has something for sale.  I send some negotiated BTC from my wallet to his.  I receive my goods.
Where does regulation enter into this transaction?

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 07:48:36 PM

kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 02:41:22 AM

I don't think the original poster realize the amount of resistance bitcoin will get from the government and banking industry.

When all rules and regulation are put in place for bitcoin, it will be little different from fiat and wire transfer.

That doesn't make any sense.  There's no way any authority can prevent 2 people from engaging in a business transaction where one pays BTC in exchange for goods/services from another.  By its very nature BTC cannot be regulated in fact, only in appearance.

I have BTC in my wallet, somebody has something for sale.  I send some negotiated BTC from my wallet to his.  I receive my goods.
Where does regulation enter into this transaction?

exactly, goods vs btc can never be regulated.
propably is fiat vs btc can cause problems at some point but i can imagine there will be countires that wont care [just like offshore companies now] so.. theres no real problem here.

vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:50:23 AM

Great time to buy cheap coins.
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 03:07:18 AM

The difficulty is now too high for investments in mining to really be profitable unless you do it really big... which most people cannot afford to do..

Honestly I can make 100 or 200 per day selling BTC on localbitcoins.com, which I think is a lot more profitable and less risky than mining.

Coinbase and sell locally/online.

I would actually make a lot more $ if I didn't have to wait 4 damn business days between purchases.

It is possible to wire $ to an exchange but you still have to wait 2-3 days for the wire to go through and it is possible the price could rise before then, causing a loss on the trade.

arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 03:35:53 AM

I would actually make a lot more $ if I didn't have to wait 4 damn business days between purchases.

It is possible to wire $ to an exchange but you still have to wait 2-3 days for the wire to go through and it is possible the price could rise before then, causing a loss on the trade.

Where are you located?

I would be surprise if you can keep doing it for long if you are located in US or Europe before authority knocking on your door.
Arriemoller
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1767

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:56:42 AM

Where are you located?

I would be surprise if you can keep doing it for long if you are located in US or Europe before authority knocking on your door.

Why would they do that? It's not illegal to trade bitcoins.

Demokrati: Två vargar och ett lamm röstar om lunchmenyn.      Democracy: Two wolfes and a lamb votes about the lunch menu.
Frihet: Ett väl beväpnat lamm opponerar sig mot omröstningen.  Freedom: A well armed lamb opposes the outcome.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 12:10:50 PM

Where are you located?

Why would they do that? It's not illegal to trade bitcoins.

Unlicensed money transmitting is what was being referred to, I believe.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 03:00:30 PM

You're eventually going to get caught and prosecuted for money laundering and unlicensed money transmitting. I hope you're not in the US.

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/bsa/title18b.html

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 04:37:18 PM

You're eventually going to get caught and prosecuted for money laundering and unlicensed money transmitting. I hope you're not in the US.

And your name is QuestionAuthority?
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 06:35:46 PM

Sometimes when you question authority the answer is "no" Undecided

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 06:43:19 PM

[/quote]

Meh.  The Feds only care about the big guys.  Those they'll notice and regulate.  They won't bother with the guys exchanging BTC for USD in a Starbucks.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 09:47:49 PM

Meh.  The Feds only care about the big guys.  Those they'll notice and regulate.  They won't bother with the guys exchanging BTC for USD in a Starbucks.
Wishful thinking.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 10:07:15 PM

Wishful thinking.
Remember that kid in grade school who would get caught doing something then would immediately start naming all the other people who hadn't been caught to get them in trouble too?

Apparently most adults never emotionally mature beyond the grade school level, or at least enough of them don't that the feds can count on somebody complaining about the people exchanging BTC for USD in a Starbucks to give them an excuse to take action.

http://contrariancompliance.com/2014/09/19/us-money-transmission-laws-are-worthless-and-unconstitutional/

Quote from: Aaron Greenspan
so far the only company subjected to it appears to have been mine. The vast majority of my competitors operate today without a license in any state, or operated for years without them until I sued them in federal court.
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 01:06:34 PM

Apparently most adults never emotionally mature beyond the grade school level, or at least enough of them don't that the feds can count on somebody complaining about the people exchanging BTC for USD in a Starbucks to give them an excuse to take action.

http://contrariancompliance.com/2014/09/19/us-money-transmission-laws-are-worthless-and-unconstitutional/

Quote from: Aaron Greenspan
so far the only company subjected to it appears to have been mine. The vast majority of my competitors operate today without a license in any state, or operated for years without them until I sued them in federal court.
Well, this makes sense.

It's the basic principle of justice, actually.

Not sure how it is related to the posts you quoted, though.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:13:14 PM

Bill Maher questions authority. Edward Snowden breaks the law and gives up his life to question authority. I believe in people banding together to make change happen not vigilante crusades by single individuals that act unilaterally on my behalf. If you want to be a prison martyr go right ahead. Charlie Shrem decided against that idea when he made his plea deal and it was the right decision.

boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 08:10:07 PM

Bill Maher questions authority. Edward Snowden breaks the law and gives up his life to question authority. I believe in people banding together to make change happen not vigilante crusades by single individuals that act unilaterally on my behalf. If you want to be a prison martyr go right ahead. Charlie Shrem decided against that idea when he made his plea deal and it was the right decision.

Bill Maher is a comic who says marxist ideas to make tens of millions of dollars a year, be loved and connected; snowden scarified everything for its beliefs but he may have broke the law doing so

kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 03:39:57 AM

cheap coins now just buy BTC with free cash and wait a year or so

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10165

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:05:52 AM

Bill Maher is a comic who says marxist ideas to make tens of millions of dollars a year, be loved and connected; snowden scarified everything for its beliefs but he may have broke the law doing so

Pretty big personal sacrifice for Snowden to leak that information in order to shed light on some of the down and dirty of the government's actions.  Very rare person would be willing to make such an individual sacrifice.    One question remains, too, about whether we are better off as a society by knowing these kinds of things regarding governmental actions and the use of technology?  I am fairly certain that people wonder how secure that they are in their internet life, including bitcoin transactions, if the government has the potential ability to engage in ongoing monitoring of transactions... and we may NOT even know it.. and we may be an innocent target or we may be a fall guy because there could be guilt by association or guilt because we thought that we had free speech but we supported the wrong cause.. or we spoke up regarding governmental actions that we thought were misleading the people.  NOT easy to fairly effectively shed light on the underlying nefarious conduct that may be occurring by people who were elected or people who were appointed or people who were contracted out to carry out duties that were supposedly on behalf of "the people."

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Pages: « 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 232 »
  Print  

Jump to: