Bitcoin Forum
December 08, 2016, 02:36:10 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 172 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I am pretty confident we are the new wealthy elite, gentlemen.  (Read 508124 times)
boumalo

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 12:07:57 AM

Personally, I think that we have to walk before we run, and surely bitcoin, in its short life, has had a truly amazing growth path - which causes these very extravagant predictions.  

I understand  and appreciate bitcoin fundamentals enough  to realize that any of the scenarios are possible - even 10x growth per year is possible.  

. . .

I can grasp that 10x is possible and plausible... but seems a bit too much for the infrastructure to absorb into such a short period of time - especially going from $50k to $500k - I have a very hard time envisioning that - however, I do recognize that if any medium size country picked up bitcoin as its national currency, then those scenarios are completely reasonable - and there are a variety of other adoption scenarios that could continue the 10x growth per year for several years into the future.... but somewhere between 2x and 5x growth seems much more within the grasp of the possible.

. . .

I am NOT sure whether this kind of a BTC appreciation model is sustainable, but it does seem possible at some point to enter into a period of an ongoing average appreciation of BTC value somewhere between 10-20% per year.

The price history of bitcoin shows 10x growth per year on average, which is supported by 3.2x average growth in both bitcoin addresses and adjusted number of bitcoin transactions - according to Metcalfe's Law. My own logistic model of bitcoin prices says that this growth rate will continue on average, actually very slightly diminishing, until we reach the midpoint of adoption. We could already be past that point but the preponderance of evidence in my opinion, is that the Bitcoin Economy is far from reaching that point.

After the mid point of adoption average price growth rates will rapidly diminish, reaching the levels you mention or lower.

Past performance does not guarantee future results but I like your bullish point of vue

The number of people knowing Bitcoin, liking Bitcoin, using Bitcoin is growing everyday, way more than the number of bitcoins; world wealth is increasing as well and the western financial system is going down within years

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
jonald_fyookball

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 12:28:47 AM

Personally, I think that we have to walk before we run, and surely bitcoin, in its short life, has had a truly amazing growth path - which causes these very extravagant predictions.  

I understand  and appreciate bitcoin fundamentals enough  to realize that any of the scenarios are possible - even 10x growth per year is possible.  

. . .

I can grasp that 10x is possible and plausible... but seems a bit too much for the infrastructure to absorb into such a short period of time - especially going from $50k to $500k - I have a very hard time envisioning that - however, I do recognize that if any medium size country picked up bitcoin as its national currency, then those scenarios are completely reasonable - and there are a variety of other adoption scenarios that could continue the 10x growth per year for several years into the future.... but somewhere between 2x and 5x growth seems much more within the grasp of the possible.

. . .

I am NOT sure whether this kind of a BTC appreciation model is sustainable, but it does seem possible at some point to enter into a period of an ongoing average appreciation of BTC value somewhere between 10-20% per year.

The price history of bitcoin shows 10x growth per year on average, which is supported by 3.2x average growth in both bitcoin addresses and adjusted number of bitcoin transactions - according to Metcalfe's Law. My own logistic model of bitcoin prices says that this growth rate will continue on average, actually very slightly diminishing, until we reach the midpoint of adoption. We could already be past that point but the preponderance of evidence in my opinion, is that the Bitcoin Economy is far from reaching that point.

After the mid point of adoption average price growth rates will rapidly diminish, reaching the levels you mention or lower.

Past performance does not guarantee future results but I like your bullish point of vue

The number of people knowing Bitcoin, liking Bitcoin, using Bitcoin is growing everyday, way more than the number of bitcoins; world wealth is increasing as well and the western financial system is going down within years

So is that good news for us early adopter folks? :-)
billysweird

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 01:59:36 AM

. . .

. . .

Well maybe for a few entitled kids who got everything from their parents it is. But for the majority of the world's population it isn't. The majority of the world population doesn't have a computer, even less people have internet, and most people don't have any money to buy bitcoins with, because they use all their money for food and still they starve.

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. SYTtAWj9VAUBuUpMU3Zn36pHkRJ3zXYVZA
Arriemoller

Activity: 144

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 02:43:55 AM

. . .

. . .

Well maybe for a few entitled kids who got everything from their parents it is. But for the majority of the world's population it isn't. The majority of the world population doesn't have a computer, even less people have internet, and most people don't have any money to buy bitcoins with, because they use all their money for food and still they starve.

What's your point billysweird?

Demokrati: Två vargar och ett lamm röstar om lunchmenyn.      Democracy: Two wolfes and a lamb votes about the lunch menu.
Frihet: Ett väl beväpnat lamm opponerar sig mot omröstningen.  Freedom: A well armed lamb opposes the outcome.
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686

Stephen Reed

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:02:20 AM

A phrase made popular by the US president John F. Kennedy applies . . .

A rising tide lifts all boats.
TonyZX

Activity: 101

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:06:28 AM

and I am pretty confident we are the old dying elite, whose best times have passed

Bitcoin is our past, present and future!
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:09:23 AM

and I am pretty confident we are the old dying elite, whose best times have passed

Patience.  The year is just getting started. Wink

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
jonald_fyookball

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:18:24 AM

Patience.  The year is just getting started. Wink

Oh. Glad you understood that  I thought the poster was simply having a midlife crisis and worrying about age spots.  Tongue
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Put BTC here: 1GSwznUNG4co5rS3ctmRgtYGcWiHAnwAyj

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:28:09 AM

I dont think this concept addresses Billysweird's point exactly.

However, a point to address billysweird's point would be that bitcoin would provide a lot for poor people to the extent that they attempt to save anything or to the extent that they may rely upon fiat money systems that disproportionately steal their money.

Poor is relative, of course, and some people in the world are struggling more than other people; however, part of the reason that they are struggling as much as they are is b/c they are exploited in their various financial instruments and the depreciation of their money.  I am NOT sure about whether bitcoin is going to completely resolve these kinds of resource issues b/c the rich frequently find new ways to exploit the poor, but bitcoin has the potential to offer a variety of solutions as compared with fiat money systems.

boumalo

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 12:44:03 PM

I dont think this concept addresses Billysweird's point exactly.

However, a point to address billysweird's point would be that bitcoin would provide a lot for poor people to the extent that they attempt to save anything or to the extent that they may rely upon fiat money systems that disproportionately steal their money.

Poor is relative, of course, and some people in the world are struggling more than other people; however, part of the reason that they are struggling as much as they are is b/c they are exploited in their various financial instruments and the depreciation of their money.  I am NOT sure about whether bitcoin is going to completely resolve these kinds of resource issues b/c the rich frequently find new ways to exploit the poor, but bitcoin has the potential to offer a variety of solutions as compared with fiat money systems.

Poor countries can save in transfer fees with Bitcoin and get direct donations more easily

Having a constantly depreciated currency is very bad when you are poor because your salary doesn't go up as much as the currency goes down and it is hard to save

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 1260

The Emperor

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 01:05:41 PM

We have survived our biggest challenge to this date (Mt Gox scandal), without much damage. The worst is over and gone, and the best is yet to come. I expect everyone to be optimistic.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 1932

https://keybase.io/bitpop

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 01:10:09 PM

Holding $500 like a rock. Gox people may soon get back some Bitcoin. Good times ahead. Hoping neo bee soon gets thrown in jail for life.

Reputation  |  PGP  |  DigitalOcean  |  OpenVPN 2GB Free  |  TorGuard  |  Ethereum Classic
Bitcoin: 3DSh6AnmvBpDJFUz2mnLirMLmTMcFs9nDm
Bitmessage: BM-2cXN9j8NFT2n1FxDVQ6HQq4D4MZuuaBFyb
ChuckBuck

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 01:11:34 PM

We have survived our biggest challenge to this date (Mt Gox scandal), without much damage. The worst is over and gone, and the best is yet to come. I expect everyone to be optimistic.

Definitely feeling optimistic, especially after the China PBOC scare that ultimately amounted to just rumor.

Now just need to keep the positive momentum going with more adoption with companies, positive news, and just spreading the news to the masses.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 1260

The Emperor

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 01:33:56 PM

Now just need to keep the positive momentum going with more adoption with companies, positive news, and just spreading the news to the masses.

Adoption is increasing, albeit silently. Right now it is the small and medium scale merchants who are adopting BTC. Anyway let's concentrate on them rather than going after big names such as Amazon, Ebay and Facebook. We have already got at least one large-scale seller on our side (Overstock). And I am satisfied with it.  Grin

ChuckBuck

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 01:41:16 PM

Adoption is increasing, albeit silently. Right now it is the small and medium scale merchants who are adopting BTC. Anyway let's concentrate on them rather than going after big names such as Amazon, Ebay and Facebook. We have already got at least one large-scale seller on our side (Overstock). And I am satisfied with it.  Grin

True, it seems that small businesses have the most to gain, as far as profit margin goes, from Bitcoin:

http://www.coindesk.com/small-businesses-enjoy-success-accepting-bitcoin/

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 01:42:28 PM

I just spent $1k at tiger direct using Bitcoin

Reputation  |  PGP  |  DigitalOcean  |  OpenVPN 2GB Free  |  TorGuard  |  Ethereum Classic
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686

Stephen Reed

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:20:28 PM

Hooray.

It is hard to believe, but Peter_R and I calculated that according to his Metcalfe Law model of bitcoin prices, if we increase the permanent number of daily bitcoin transactions by one, then the bitcoin market cap increases by over $100K.

I try to participate in a bitcoin transaction every day.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 04:23:07 PM

Hooray.

It is hard to believe, but Peter_R and I calculated that according to his Metcalfe Law model of bitcoin prices, if we increase the permanent number of daily bitcoin transactions by one, then the bitcoin market cap increases by over $100K.

I try to participate in a bitcoin transaction every day.

Wow.  That is really crazy.  In a way as a Bitcoin community we could increase the price just by using Bitcoin as much as possible then.  I have spent some but it is hard to justify spending them when cash seems so much less valuable.  But perhaps we should all just move more fiat into a place that can be used regularly for buying things we need anyways?  Just thinking here.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Lauda
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1330

Ninja Cat

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 04:30:57 PM

Very silently indeed. As time goes by the adoption will increase, despite the bad news that we had/will have.
People just aren't patient enough and tend to panic too easily.

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀

║║
║║
║║
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 04:31:01 PM

It's easy when you spend horizontally

And why not get 3% at Amazon via gyft

Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 172 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.