Bitcoin Forum
December 10, 2016, 10:58:20 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... 172 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I am pretty confident we are the new wealthy elite, gentlemen.  (Read 508300 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 1848

LEALANA Monero Physical Silver Coins

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 11:24:22 PM

One of my favorite quotes ever posted on this forum is on page 1 from billyjoeallen:

"I don't care about the busts. I am riding this pig wherever it takes me. If it tanks, I'll have a helluva story to tell. I'm sick of half measures. I'm swinging for the fences and If I strike out, so be it.  I won't be some mediocre drone living a life of quiet desperation. I believe in bitcoin and I'm going for broke, knowing the risks."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=12156.msg169810#msg169810

Awesome. Thanks for pointing that one out.

It is admirable that some go all-in but at this point with most of us having 1000% or more gains behind, starting to diversify is generally a prudent strategy. It develops you as a person when you have to deal with the outside world Smiley

I have been advocating selling 65-90% of what your top stash has been, methodically in our way to $1,000,000. After that there is no reason to "sell" any more as BTC will be a world currency. I believe that this is still the reasonable approach for most:

- Buy as many bitcoins as you want
- Wait 3 months
- Start selling a set percentage of the stash every time the price goes up X%, set the schedule such that you will still have a lot at $1M
- Do not sell or buy at the dips (<- traders can do what they want but most people do better by my method)

More discussion in the SSS thread

Are you following your own example plan or are you still day trading like earlier this year and late last year?

I'm not against the plan you pose above, in fact I support it, but it is easier said than done when your motto is to diversify. Price upticks generally get people to sell.

I've diversified out of bitcoin enough to be fine with my gains even if Bitcoin went to zero.

But still have a good stake in it should it continue to the Milky Way.

All in all, people who keep their funds on exchanges to attempt to scalp the markets will likely end up losing purely based on the single biggest security issue with that type of method, 3rd party risk.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.        SMOOTHIE'S HEALTH AND FITNESS JOURNAL          History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA  PHYSICAL MONERO COINS 999 FINE SILVER.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonald_fyookball

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:56:23 AM

It's like "just shut up and hodl"
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 01:04:53 AM

Well, yeah but you also might do a little day trading with part of your stock of BTC.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:10:40 AM

Well, yeah but you also might do a little day trading with part of your stock of BTC.

If i tried day trading I would be broke. My gambling skills are about the same. I just look for prudent and safe investments.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 01:49:06 AM

If i tried day trading I would be broke. My gambling skills are about the same. I just look for prudent and safe investments.

Then you are doing exactly what you should be doing and do not feel in any way bad about your position.

Harry Callahan said:

" A man's GOT to know his limitations."

Do what you do and do it well.

You will be both happy and successful.

Corporations For Crypto
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:58:37 AM

Then you are doing exactly what you should be doing and do not feel in any way bad about your position.

Harry Callahan said:

Thanks! This forum has been a huge help in finding those investments as well. I take more of a buy and grow approach as opposed to the buy and hold approach.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 02:49:20 AM

Harry Callahan said:

Thanks! This forum has been a huge help in finding those investments as well. I take more of a buy and grow ap

"Chance the Gardener: Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again."

Corporations For Crypto
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:53:43 AM

Harry Callahan said:

Thanks! This forum has been a huge help in finding those investments as well. I take more of a buy and grow ap

"Chance the Gardener: Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again."

Ah Being There! I still think Forrest Gump was sort of a rip off of that book. 
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 03:24:10 AM

Harry Callahan said:

Ah Being There! I still think Forrest Gump was sort of a rip off of that book. 

Naw, Forrest is a different breed of cat but nevertheless fits right in.

Don't worry.

Be happy.

Corporations For Crypto
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 1442

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 04:11:45 AM

Are you following your own example plan or are you still day trading like earlier this year and late last year?

I'm not against the plan you pose above, in fact I support it, but it is easier said than done when your motto is to diversify. Price upticks generally get people to sell.

I've diversified out of bitcoin enough to be fine with my gains even if Bitcoin went to zero.

All in all, people who keep their funds on exchanges to attempt to scalp the markets will likely end up losing purely based on the single biggest security issue with that type of method, 3rd party risk.

If you start with a small amount and slowly work up to over 1200% gains, then (after removing the original investment) it is impossible to "end up losing" due to 3rd party risk.  Smiley

15DYJpWJe9H1YofsNQbP9JEWWNn7XPZgbS
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 04:19:33 AM

If you start with a small amount and slowly work up to over 1200% gains, then (after removing the original investment) it is impossible to "end up losing" due to 3rd party risk.  Smiley

I do what I do behind the curtain and I seek others who which to do the same.......................

I am very good at what I do, thank you.

Corporations For Crypto
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 05:05:32 AM

I do what I do behind the curtain and I seek others who which to do the same.......................

I am very good at what I do, thank you.

From Kansas......"you perform behind the curtain"....who are you, the Wizard of Oz?
How's Toto and Dorthy doing these days?
Follow the Yellow Block Road  Cheesy

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1400

Crypto Kingdom (Creator)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 05:45:29 AM

I have never been daytrading BTC. I sold in Nov-Dec and bought back in Feb, so my classification would be "swingtrading". Before and after that I had very little in exchanges. Of course as the price rises again, I'll have to figure out how to divest. I am open to suggestions from all lawful buyers who pay first, after the price crosses $3000.

Problem with people's natural instinct is that they sell in the meager upticks in the early part of the move and then don't sell when the price goes ballistic, which would be a good time to sell (with a plan).

I also lost BTC250 with Mt.Gox, and I am not proud of it since it was a losign proposition to start with. But that was still only a fraction of my gains made by swingtrading last winter.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:00:12 AM

I have never been daytrading BTC. I sold in Nov-Dec and bought back in Feb, so my classification would be "swingtrading". Before and after that I had very little in exchanges. Of course as the price rises again, I'll have to figure out how to divest. I am open to suggestions from all lawful buyers who pay first, after the price crosses $3000.

Medium-term trading BTC makes the most sense, especially in a market where the moves are so extreme. Scalping and day trading is very exciting, but it's too hard to be prepared for the bigger moves when the focus is closing out both sides of many smaller trades.

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:06:40 AM

Problem with people's natural instinct is that they sell in the meager upticks in the early part of the move and then don't sell when the price goes ballistic, which would be a good time to sell (with a plan).

I also lost BTC250 with Mt.Gox, and I am not proud of it since it was a losign proposition to start with. But that was still only a fraction of my gains made by swingtrading last winter.

Wow you make my meager holdings look even more pitiful. I do not have the skills nor the psychological make up for day trading but would you be willing to explain swing trading a bit more? I understand if you don't want to share any secrets, but as someone that is all ready at a place I can only hope to reach one day anything you would be willing to share would be most welcome.
Light

Activity: 700

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:14:26 AM

Wow you make my meager holdings look even more pitiful. I do not have the skills nor the psychological make up for day trading but would you be willing to explain swing trading a bit more? I understand if you don't want to share any secrets, but as someone that is all ready at a place I can only hope to reach one day anything you would be willing to share would be most welcome.

If I understand it correctly, the trading he did was back when Bitcoin's price was spiraling upwards (in excess of $1000USD) and at that point he sold off, expecting the price to subsequently fall (which it did). When it eventually fell to around $450 he just bought back in effectively more than doubling what was traded in a single swoop. It's not really hard to understand, just making sure you have the timing right is important (ie when to sell off at the top and when to buy back at the bottom).
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:21:26 AM

If I understand it correctly, the trading he did was back when Bitcoin's price was spiraling upwards (in excess of $1000USD) and at that point he sold off, expecting the price to subsequently fall (which it did). When it eventually fell to around $450 he just bought back in effectively more than doubling what was traded in a single swoop. It's not really hard to understand, just making sure you have the timing right is important (ie when to sell off at the top and when to buy back at the bottom).

It also depends on your personality. Some people are best suited for "buy and hold" and others have the character traits which give them a better chance to win at trading. Just be careful, since most traders lose long-term.

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:23:51 AM

Thanks. I have a lot to learn about technical analysis and markets before I try it. I would have no clue how to time it. 
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:25:27 AM

It also depends on your personality. Some people are best suited for "buy and hold" and others have the character traits which give them a better chance to win at trading. Just be careful, since most traders lose long-term.

For right now I just do careful investments. I add about 1% or so a week so it isn't bad. If I tried to trade now it would simply be gambling and that is always a losing prospect.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:51:57 AM

For right now I just do careful investments. I add about 1% or so a week so it isn't bad. If I tried to trade now it would simply be gambling and that is always a losing prospect.

Trading is risk taking where a moderate number of people are able to win long-term.
Edit: I misread something....If for you personally, it would be too much of a "gamble", then certainly don't do it.
Trading is also addictive, so having a chance to actually win long-term is important.  Smiley

Pages: « 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... 172 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.