Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:37:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 232 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I am pretty confident we are the new wealthy elite, gentlemen.  (Read 631774 times)
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:31:48 AM

in all seriousness, i don't see the point in providing banking for people who can't even afford food. please explain to me.

Looks like you have been ethically lobotomized. Is it your ideology to take the place in the queue behind 7 billion others? That helps neither yourself nor the 7 billion.

So get out there, hands out of your pockets, cut your hair, and get some coinz. In 3 years, you can always donate a million PC's to the poor if you feel the need for it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:39:53 AM

in all seriousness, i don't see the point in providing banking for people who can't even afford food. please explain to me.

Looks like you have been ethically lobotomized. Is it your ideology to take the place in the queue behind 7 billion others? That helps neither yourself nor the 7 billion.

So get out there, hands out of your pockets, cut your hair, and get some coinz. In 3 years, you can always donate a million PC's to the poor if you feel the need for it.

Better yet, if were to pursue his own devoid logic reductio ad absurdum, he should just kill himself now so that another starving mouth may feed.

Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:41:42 AM

nah, don't cut your hair. Long haired freaky people will one day rule the world!

Joking aside, I agree.
salstimda

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:44:02 AM

Oh, someone has a different opinion than you do? Must be a troll. Turn on Ignore-Mode! *LALALALALALALALA*

Andreas Antonopolous talks about the opportunity for "banking" services opening up doors for the 3rd World in many of his talks.

He seems like a very smart guy to me, But im not gonna google to find some alleged arguments that he made for the sake of this discussion...you have to realize this is a bit ridiculous. either post the argument here, or let it be.

I remember a few arguments he made alongside "people save fees if they send money back home to their families" and something like people could use cellphones and sms for obtaining bitcoins and so on, but this all just affects people who already are doing well enough to afford a cellphone and its fees, and of course all food and shelter, or they probably wouldn't get a cellphone. So it's not really about the majority of people who are starving. that was my point - maybe in some circumstances it would help some people, but i don't really see any great solutions of big problems there...but of course i might have missed something. im far from beeing an expert on this topic aswell.

The reason people refer to you as a troll is that you find exceptions with everything, and keep the argument going. There is no response that will ever make you say "Oh.  Yeah.  Good point." and get up from your computer and walk away.  Certain people just morph the argument into 900 other topics, as you negate each of their misconceptions.  Thats when people like BitChick "bow out".  It becomes a fruitless endeavour.  You should recognize this about yourself maybe, and adjust how you debate/disagree with things.

To answer your question, Andreas has pointed out that even the poorest people in Africa with no running water, have satellite dishes on their mud huts.  Apparently they save forever to buy one, which powers their cell phone and updates it.  And no.  Cell service is not $99 a month like it is here in the USA.  :-/  Their cell phone enables them to transact money and carry out communication with the rest of their world.  Its that important.  These same cell phones which are currently using a text service to send and receive funds, can be used with Bitcoin.  

There are 2 companies in africa right now working to build Bitcoin texting services.  Your question was, why is this relevant to poor people, to have banking opportunities?  As per Andreas, it opens up a whole new world of investing, saving, appreciation in value, transferring of funds, and participation on the world stage that they never had before.  Sure, some will do nothing with that.  Others who are poor but still brilliant, will see the immense opportunities in having access to these things, and will literally build businesses and transform their lives.  And yes, the remittances market is a hundreds-million dollar market that Bitcoin will assuredly take over.  Western union charges the poorest people in the poorest countries the highest fees to send money home to family.  $40 on a $100 transfer sometimes.  Having that $40 available to the family instead, times millions of families, can singlehandedly pump hundreds of millions of dollars back to the poorest people on the planet.  The list goes on and on.  

I would advise you to stop being lazy about your education on Bitcoin, and spend the next week listening to *every* speech from Andreas Antonopoulos on youtube.  Specifically the Joe Rogan one, which is 3 hours long.  If you don't have the energy or interest, then be aware that you are missing about 95% of the pertinent information on the topic you're debating.  

-B-

funny how you first claim "this is why people call you a troll" and in the next paragraphs you are basically just repeating what i said.

i have already seen the joe rogan podcast with antonpoulos...not that i would take serious any suggestions from people who are just repeating what i said after calling me a troll, but still, just for your information, i have already seen it. considering you are just repeating what i was saying, i guess you are not even as educated on the topic of crytocurrencies as i am (although im surely not very educated).

if you have a hard time understanding what i am writing, just leave it at that, don't try to "educate" me by parroting my own words.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 04:08:54 AM

I like looking back to the beginning posts of this thread a few years ago...  It's super cool to see how everything has evolved so much in a short period of time..
ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:20:31 AM

2018 $18,000 (US votes for BitCoin backed Dollar)

As in "The FED announces it has all USD backed by 18kUSD BTCs"? Do the math how far off you are even if they had 21 million bitcoin by that date. That would put US M1 to 21MɃ * 18k$/Ƀ = 378G$ << 2.7T$

Good point math champ!  Question then, if BitCoin were to replace 100% of the world's fiat tomorrow, how much would 1BTC be worth in USD?

Define the world's fiat and do the math yourself.

Wow, yea, I don't know how to define the world's fiat. Just focusing on the current US currency in circulation is the first and easier step.   Or I guess looking at each individual economy/market that could be replaced with the functionality of bitcoin is another way to asses it's future value.  Anyway, the current total US currency, is $10.5T. Total world currency is at $105T as of 2013.    So simply replacing the entire world currency with Bitcoin, today, would basically make each bitcoin around $8,500,000.000.  This doesn't account for the massive increase in efficiency over fiat, the savings in printing money, disposing of it, handling at POS (point of sale), etc.  

So let's take a wild stab in the dark, and say that in 20 years half of the world's currency is based on BitCoin, with inflation, and in 2034, there will be approx 18M BitCoins in "circulation," each BitCoin would be worth $2,700,000.00.  So I revise my long term prediction to $2.7M by 2034, and since I will be 58 years old, I should only need to keep 1BTC to retire with  Grin

We could add the business of remittances to the value in the short term but would need to see Western Union begin to decay and start losing revenue before.  Their earnings came out last week and they reported flat year over year and predicted the same for this year.  During an interview with CEO of WU on CNBC he said they were open to the utilization of BitCoin as soon as it is "regulated."  I won't try and reinvent the wheel, this recent article in Fortune really does a fair job of determining a near term value, $50,000?

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:23:13 AM

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:35:46 PM

http://astrohacker.com/ahc/bitcoin-is-the-economic-singularity/

After reading this, the scale of black market and digital economies and the effect Bitcoin will have on them I am pretty certain we are going to be very wealthy men -- even with a sum as small as 10 Bitcoins. It's just so hard to believe. We are only in the beginning storms with these significant rallies from 10 to 20 dollars. I will not be surprised to see prices from hundreds to thousands in the coming months.

The world just isn't going to be the same and we have been blessed as the pioneers.

What are you going to do with your Bitcoin wealth once your coins hit upwards of $10,000 a pop?
We need a lot of confidence to beleave it now.

The thing is that it keeps being repeated at least since US dollar parity - "its a bubble, it won't last, correction incoming, it will never be as high as $10/$3/$1/$266/$1200/$0.10 again."  IF bitcoin succeeds the price will be huge - it is something if a binary proposition either lots of success meaning very high price or poof.  Given Silicon Valley and Wall Street's endorsements via investment, bitcoin's success becomes more likely each day.
 Smiley
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:41:25 PM

After reading this, the scale of black market and digital economies and the effect Bitcoin will have on them I am pretty certain we are going to be very wealthy men -- even with a sum as small as 10 Bitcoins. It's just so hard to believe. We are only in the beginning storms with these significant rallies from 10 to 20 dollars. I will not be surprised to see prices from hundreds to thousands in the coming months.

The world just isn't going to be the same and we have been blessed as the pioneers.

What are you going to do with your Bitcoin wealth once your coins hit upwards of $10,000 a pop?

The thing is that it keeps being repeated at least since US dollar parity - "its a bubble, it won't last, correction incoming, it will never be as high as $10/$3/$1/$266/$1200/$0.10 again."  IF bitcoin succeeds the price will be huge - it is something if a binary proposition either lots of success meaning very high price or poof.  Given Silicon Valley and Wall Street's endorsements via investment, bitcoin's success becomes more likely each day.
 Smiley

I firmly believe that bitcoin's success is inevitable at this point.   I just think that it is on a longer time frame than most people expect and hope...
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:14:36 PM

Smiley

I firmly believe that bitcoin's success is inevitable at this point.   I just think that it is on a longer time frame than most people expect and hope...

I guess time will tell.  ;-)   In an ideal world, 2014 will lead to lots of adoption, the W-Twins ETF launching, and consequent price increases, but I'm not counting on anything.
Winalunt

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

Tell Me What A Man Is Without Pride .

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:54:32 PM

May i ask how you make your name or bitcointalk id looks like that ?
Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:09:39 PM

I have to get my fist one. Not even close at the moment but I'm not giving up. After I get my first one I hope I can somehow manage to 10, but I doubt it.

keithers
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:24:16 PM

I have to get my fist one. Not even close at the moment but I'm not giving up. After I get my first one I hope I can somehow manage to 10, but I doubt it.

your're trying to get your first one what?  of btc?
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:26:59 PM

Smiley

I guess time will tell.  ;-)   In an ideal world, 2014 will lead to lots of adoption, the W-Twins ETF launching, and consequent price increases, but I'm not counting on anything.

I'm not counting on anything either, but one thing is for sure, the invention of the bitcoin protocol cannot be undone.  It is here to stay Smiley.   Just the feature of the significantly lower transaction fees is enough to really push mainstream adoption forward.    All the negative press lately sucks, but with anything new and innovative there are always going to be a fair share of haters...
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 08:28:10 PM

I like looking back to the beginning posts of this thread a few years ago...  It's super cool to see how everything has evolved so much in a short period of time..
Yeah i was looking the same, what a journey it is till now..! lets see how far it goes..

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:29:36 PM

Smiley

Winklevoss lawyer said that the ETF is 99.9% not going to happen this year, sadly.  2015 is probably a good target date though.

I'm actually betting that Paypal will implement Bitcoin this year.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:32:50 PM

I assume you mean "Anonymous"? I think this is an account that has closed. The poster has left his/her written material here, but removed their identity.  

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Arriemoller
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1767

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:56:27 PM

Totally OT, but funny.
Open Google translate, write ......... and translate from japanese to your language and hit the speaker icon.

Demokrati: Två vargar och ett lamm röstar om lunchmenyn.      Democracy: Two wolfes and a lamb votes about the lunch menu.
Frihet: Ett väl beväpnat lamm opponerar sig mot omröstningen.  Freedom: A well armed lamb opposes the outcome.
gpucoolingmethod

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:56:32 PM

I assume you mean "Anonymous"? I think this is an account that has closed. The poster has left his/her written material here, but removed their identity.  

I didnt know you can post as guest until I read Anonymous is a guest account.
gpucoolingmethod

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:58:51 PM

Totally OT, but funny.
Open Google translate, write ......... and translate from japanese to your language and hit the speaker icon.

I just did and the same thing shows as translation I had been suspicious this is a bad joke
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 232 »
  Print  

Jump to: