Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:43:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GUIMiner-scrypt: A GUIMiner fork for mining scrypt chains  (Read 993988 times)
Elmojo

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:05:38 AM

Anyone know of a way to have GUIMiner start mining immediately once the program is launched?
I have it set to start with Windows, but I'd like it to start mining right away, without me having to press the [Start] button.
My machine sometimes reboots to install an update or whatever, and I'd like mining to resume once it's back up and running.
Any help appreciated!
-Elmojo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cptmooseinc

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:53:59 PM

Elmojo, just go to the Summary tab and check the boxes next to each miner you have created and then save the settings. Once the program starts, it will automatically start mining after reboot.

The Moose's Tip Jar: BTC - 1HoTm9ZqrEmD5Tvs5qAdPM311agyN3eHra
LTC - LPg9svS4dcK5Kzy6HUoef8icrnDxED3ZVA
Elmojo

Activity: 155

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:57:37 PM

Wow, never knew that tab existed, thanks!
BecomingPhill

Activity: 140

BTC in Namibia

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 12:10:57 AM
Last edit: September 20, 2013, 01:01:57 AM by BecomingPhill

Hi

Great work! Beats droll cmd line.

Edit:

Never Mind! Searched forum.

Good work!

19YMKfUYc9S2orgBvp3LaHRbBJ5wNQENK1
Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:33:51 AM

I have 3 GPUs 7950. but GUI miner is running only 1. how to set it to run all the all the 3 GPUs?

Thanks,
ChiangYay

Each video card requires it's own cgminer created inside GUIMiner-scrypt. Then set each video card for each cgminer (in your case you need to create 3 cgminers first), after doing that move to each of them, one after the other, and do the following inside each cgminer for each video card:

Maneuver to each cgminer you created for each video card. Again, if you didn't do that already it will be required! (1 cgminer per video card).

In the "DEVICE:" drop down box inside each cgminer within GUIMiner-scrypt set the 1st video card to [0-0] Tahiti (with Tahiti being for 7950 GPU's).

Note: The name for your card will be different if you don't utilize AMD 7950's, which are currently the most energy efficient GPUs btw.

For the 2nd card set the "DEVICE:" to [0-1] Tahiti (or whatever your card is code named).

For the 3rd card set the "DEVICE:" to [0-2] Tahiti (or whatever your card is code named).

This is the same coding as for hard drives with hard drive 0 really being the number one hard drive. Engineers are a crazy bunch... So hard drive 1 is really hard drive 2. But in some systems they don't go by that so hard drive 1 really is hard drive 1. And there is no hard drive 0.

Note: If your on a Stratum enabled pool you will need to also create a Stratum Proxy miner inside GUIMiner-Scrypt for each mining pool. (NOT for each video card), as all that is needed is one stratum miner per set of video cards/cgminers.

That's all there is to that.

Slingshot

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:59:57 AM

Other tips that may also help others just starting out:

When I first started mining I had a tiny bit of trouble getting out of the starting gate. Here the 1st tip addresses that issue:

So what does the following line really mean for all the rookies just starting out?

stratum+tcp://pool1.us.multipool.us:3336

Cryptogenic Bullion (CGB) = the name of the crypto-currency, of course.

stratum+tcp://pool1.us.multipool.us:3336   = well 1st off just sort of forget the   "stratum+tcp://"  - it just means that this is the same "HOST" code for both STRATUM settings and CGMINER HOST settings. It means nothing else. But isn't explained well hardly anywhere. So if your trying to sort all this mining stuff out there's that. And much more below too!

So all one has to know is that stratum+tcp://  - equals the settings for both the cgminer & stratum proxy too.

So install the following in your cgminer(s) HOST fields and your stratum proxy HOST fields too, and your off to mine CGB like I been doing since August after you also of course input the correct port setting which in this case is 3336 for both the cgminers and the stratum proxy.

So put the following in cgminer(s) in the field titled HOST:    pool1.us.multipool.us

And as well in the Stratum Proxy miner in the field titled HOST:   pool1.us.multipool.us

for the port setting for both the above use:    3336

That's all there is to that!

https://www.multipool.us/

I enjoy multipool.us and yes it's a great set of pools, offering great value to miners and well it's just a great miners paradise as far as I am concerned. Been mining there since it was a little, bitty pool and I have watched it grow and grow like gang busters. Multipool offers us all a great miners paradise just in case you are not already aware of that. No, I am not connected to multipool in any way, nor are they paying me to say this. Sure there are other pools i also use some too. Right this minute I am on another pool in fact. But from almost day #1 I have used and always returned to multipool. So instead of yet more donations to them I will tip them here in a round about way, and you too, in case you didn't know about multipool just yet. Enjoy!

While I suppose a few pools require the  https://  or the http:// (which ever is the case) too in the stratum+tcp://pool1.us.multipool.us:3336 , the fact is most pools don't requirehttps://  or the http:// (which ever is the case). Nor do the STRATUM Proxies either.

But I do try to avoid the pools that are not https because their much harder to hack, and well my coins are going to be safer there than on mere http pools sites for a host of reasons!!!

Same for hacking one's account and password too. On everyday http connections those pools are transmitting (and you too) in plain, ordinary text, back and forth, to each other. AND any packet sniffing software can read that text, all of it, including user names and passwords as plain as day. So if they don't also at least offer a way to lock your wallets addresses so that a hacker cannot easily change the deposit wallets address then you can easily be ripped off. It's happened. Many times, many places. Fair warning. No, I never had this happen anywhere. So far. But I am careful too.

Not so with https pools, which use secure communications so that no one, not even your ISP knows what your typing in while visiting any https site, or what their sending back to you. Same for the mining process too. https is far superior in every way.

So above all else don't use the same password for different mining pools!!! Nor the same user name either!!!

And if your really wanting to keep anyone from following you back home to where your wallets are then use a secure VPN service too. One that secures all your internet communications. I will leave this Secure VPN topic for good because I wont share what I use, nor where I get it. It's just foolish to do so here, or anywhere. It's personal. Private. SECURE. Please respect that. Don't ask. But do be SMART.

And as for simply using cgminer instead of GUIMiner-scrypt, well one would have to be dedicated to dealing with arcane interfacing, and dealing with a bit too much typing everytime one changes pools, or even changes to another currency or type of mining at the very same pool.

Too much bother when GUIMiner-Scrypt does such a wonderful, stable, and fine job. At least version v0.03 because I had a bit of trouble with the new version and quickly reverted back to  GUIMiner-Scrypt v0.03 to get back that superb stability. Just remember to copy and save your poclbm folder elsewhere so you can restore all your saved mining pools for GUIMiner-Scrypt in a hurry in case anything goes terribly wrong.

For rookies and those with too little time to deal with every last thing I suggest and recommend GUIMiner-Scrypt, and fall back to v0.03 if v0.04 gives one any troubles what so ever.

Now: MORE TIPS:

I use AMD Catalyst Software Suite 13.4 to this very day. Inside DEVICE MANAGER the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series Drivers are labeled as 12.104.0.0 and as long as I don't toss them a too big a curve ball per say they are super stable and great. But having tossed a few mean curves over the course of many months now I have had to re-install them a couple of times to fix things that arise. I learned to just install right over the existing install if in a hurry, hey, it worked. Or use AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility  1.2.1.0 to first uninstall the existing software, and then install it right back again, and that's the much more proper way of doing that btw. At any rate why change what works flawlessly unless I mess it up? I will let others try out and report back on the latest versions of AMD's software and maybe update later as I see a real need to, if ever.

Now for some Tips on cgminer settings inside GUIMiner-scrypt:

For AMD 7950's - on most pools the optimum Thread concurrency is usually 24000 , or at least that's been my own experience with quite of bit of testing and experimenting.

Intensity up to 20, but back off to 19 or 18 if you get too many stales. At or a bit over 3% is a bit too many stales imo, but okay still. But anything over say 7% is just too much wasted time, energy and effort so reduce intensity to lower stale rate. Also as an alternative try maybe reducing overall stress by setting Thread concurrency a bit lower at 21760 or 21056 if stales are still a problem at 19 or especially at 18 intensity.

For 7950's:
============

Worksize = 256

Vectors = 1

GPU threads = 1

Aim for 70c to 75c temps. Download HWMonitor 32bit or 64bit to monitor GPU and CPU/APU temperatures. Over 76c gets me a bit nervous. and anything over 78c is just too darn hot for 24/7/365 reliability issues. Many 7950s run at very high temps. Not so with the Asus 7950s but three closer together such as in a full size pc case are going be very likely be serious heat issue. Motherboard builders thinking it's okay to mount 3 or more video cards so close together are just flat out silly. Sure for limited usage that may be okay but for hours on end of gaming or mining it's not acceptable! Hence open pc racks, or crates for other alternative builds. In my case with three 7950's I have two on the motherboard, and the center one on a 9 inch riser fastened to the 2nd level of the wire rack it's built upon.

Higher heat equals stress and wear to electronics. Use plenty of fans, and watch those temps or you may even cause the rare but possible fire. To minimize risks use only Gold or Platinum Certified Power Supplies. The 850 watt Gold Corsair (HX850) being the best of breed as I recall. Same for motherboards, don't bother with unstable boards, or boards without higher quality components onboard. Read the reviews, spend a bit of time researching or you may really wish you had.

Absolutely no less that 850 watts for 3 AMD 7950's per PC, and much higher if not Gold certified!

That particular Corsair APU (HX850) that I utilize is also about the highest rated power supply on newegg.com from what I recall. It's been fine for three 7950's, with a 65watt quad core AMD APU - A8,  and hardly even spins up the fan much except when room temp is a bit too high. It rests on the 2nd level of a 3 tier wire rack that cost $20 at Target.

Mount the motherboard down at the first level of the rack on a poly kitchen cutting board. Drill the holes in it for the standoff mounts. Use zip ties to strap EVERYTHING down to to the rack though. Be smart. Be safe. Or do it in a fire safe location!!! If children or pets are around set up a wire fence around the miner rig so that nothing can mess with it or get injured. Like I said: BE SMART. Be SAFE.

High intensity settings equals higher heat. Same for overclocking which I found is best done with MSI Afterburner v2.3.1

For 7950's up to Core Clock (MHz) of 1050 with Memory (MHz) @ 1500 being about the safest higher settings.

But if your away from your rig a lot I strongly suggest a much lower overclock of say 950/1350 being as high as I am comfortable with being gone for longer stretches of time.

If away for weeks then all the way down to 910/1298 makes for good waves with much lower heat, if a bit less coins. Still it's safer and of course less likely to have any stability issues even for weeks on end without any attention, at least in my own experiences.

Just be certain to disable screensavers, and disable video off settings to ALWAYS ON. Take all the load off the system, and the hardware that can be taken off. Same for the PC, configure for ALWAYS ON, except for on Battery UPS, and better get at least a 1000 watt UPS for battery backup as the 850 watt range units are only good for at most a minute until overwhelmed with such a load on them. Even the 1000 watt UPS may not be enough either. tough call there. Set it to sleep in 1 minute or watch with awe when you return to see it OFF, not merely in hibernate/sleep should the power go off for more than 59 seconds. The idea here is to save your expensive rig from getting zapped by brown-outs, power-surges, and of course the momentary power outages. In my experience as of late it may prove wise to stay away from APC products unless you get the very pricey commercial grade units! Read the reviews!!!

Most efficient mining Thread concurrency settings for 7950's from my own experiences:

24000    -     or 21760 or 21056 , and with the highest setting for 7950's being 24576 as I recall, but 24576 is a bit overtaxing.
====

For slower cards experiment with:
10496  8192  7104  6912  6976

I forget the rules for the above settings but the idea is they all divide by 64, or at least their suppose to!!!

For AMD APU/GPU's (quad cores) such as the AMD A8 APU's (with on-chip GPU's named" Devastator") and the A10 too:

Thread concurrency of 5248 or 4096 and with intensity max at about 11 or even down to 10 if you want to have an easy time dealing with adjusting your mining rig, or use it for other tasks, or just want to maintain a very stable miner. Anything over 12 intensity on the AMD quad core APU A8 65 watt really sucks as far as stability and APU temps go unless you hang a large cooler. I strongly suggest you do that for any cpu mining anyway. But just realize your stability may be reduced in return for merely a few more coins.

I suggest the 65 watt APU's to lower overall energy costs with any quad core mining rig. I suggest the cheaper AMD A8 65 watt APU. Later that chip will work great for almost any pc for a long time to come and in the mean time you can grind out a few extra coins using it as a fourth miner in the above example if desired. I did that with two 7950's but after the 3rd 7950 I skipped mining with the APU too. Just realize that stability issues may arise if one taxes their CPU/APU too much in their mining rigs. (such as with the newest CPU mined coins...). Watch, monitor those Temperatures.

Lastly, whenever I learn how to set the "fallback" (backup) pool settings I will share that too, but so far I never bothered to deal with that issue as there is always something else grabbing my full attention away so far! But in the case of a fallback for multipool.us it would of course be -  stratum+tcp://pool1.eu.multipool.us:3336  - and of course the correct coding I believe would be placed in EXTRA FLAGS: but to date I am not sure how to configure that. We will leave that for another time, or a different person to help with.

forgive any typo's...too little time to review this yet again!

caveat empore
Slingshot

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:16:24 AM

Hi Tacotime,

Thank You. Your GUIMinerScrypt is great.

I will send you a token of my appreciation later this week to one of your wallets when I am rounding up and and backing up my own wallets.

Thanks Again!
SpeedDemon13

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 06:17:55 AM

Presenting GUIMiner-scrypt, a shoddily programmed fork of GUIMiner!

The program is a frontend for reaper and cgminer and is intended to simplify things for new miners and remove yet another barrier to entry for scrypt/litecoin mining.

DONATE (LTC): LiK1rotC2tNYNRbRfW2xsKLYJvKhQ3PwTN
DONATE (BTC): 17bmYcP6Vio6c1gnyPsaDSv4B11SLe81Ab

DOWNLOAD (mirror 1)(mirror 2) (win32 binaries for Vista/7/8 v0.04)

To upgrade from old versions, delete the entire contents of your old folder (settings are saved elsewhere) and replace them with the new zip file contents.

Source on Github: https://github.com/theRealTacoTime/poclbm

Please ensure you have the following dependencies installed
• AMD APP SDK: http://developer.amd.com/tools/hc/AMDAPPSDK/downloads/Pages/default.aspx
• Latest AMD drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
or
Known working for all cards AMD driver (12.Cool:
12.8 32-bit
12.8 64-bit
AVOID 12.10 DRIVERS, THEY SEEM TO BREAK LITECOIN PERFORMANCE. 13.X SEEM TO BE OKAY.

Code:
5-7-13: alpha version 0.04 is released.
FEATURE: cudaminer added, although the program will not show valid hash rates.
FEATURE: Latest version of cgminer added.
FEATURE: Batch files for both cudaminer and cgminer are now created in their respective subdirectories, in case you still want to be able to see the exact console output.
BUGFIX: Users with spaces in the Windows usernames are now able to use the program.
BUGFIX: Correct settings for low usage in 7xxx series added.

3-19-13: alpha version 0.03 is released.
FEATURE: Tooltips added to explain parameters for scrypt kernel.
FEATURE: cgminer 2.11.3 added with env. var. settings to allow for high (>8192) thread concurrencies.
BUGFIX: cgminer now displays hash rates more quickly.
BUGFIX: cgminer now sets the GPU platform correctly.

3-10-13: alpha version 0.02 is released.
BUGFIX: Number of total hashes per second now displays correctly.
BUGFIX: Bug that caused only one reaper miner tab to function when multiple were present fixed.

3-9-13: alpha version 0.01 is released.

FAQ
Q: How do I use the stratum proxy?
A: Enter the host and the stratum port and click start.  It should announce that the proxy is connected.  Then, point your miners at host: localhost, port: 8332.  Run your miners as normal; you should see shares/hash rates reported.
Also note that cgminer has its own stratum support built in.  To use that instead, select "Yes" for Use stratum in the miner tab and point the miner directly at the stratum port of your pool.  If you still want to use the stratum proxy with cgminer, you must select "No" for this option.

Q: Why are my speeds not close to those reported in the original FAQ?
A: In addition to tuning the parameters of the program, you will need to tune the GPU core speed and memory.  For 5xxx/6xxx cards a good ratio is 0.70 - 0.80 core / memory clock speeds.  For 7xxx cards, ratios are best under 0.68, with the 7970 preferring ratios at or under even 0.57 in reaper.
To find your memory speed from the core speed, simply divide by the ratio, e.g. 900 MHz core / 0.68 = 1325 MHz RAM.

Q: Shares reported by the stratum proxy are not the same as shares reported by the card.  Why is this?
A: It is a bug to be fixed in a later update.

Q: I hit the start button with cgminer for the first time and nothing happened!
A: Wait for 2-3 minutes and see if mining begins.  The reason is that cgminer needs to build the kernel to run.  If nothing still happens, post in this thread as it may be a bug.

Q: I'm getting lots of stales with cgminer and high thread concurrencies; why is this?
A: The current cgminer kernel seems to have trouble with high thread concurrencies.  If it throws lots of reject shares that come up at the pool as invalid, try switching to reaper.

Q: I'm using an nVidia card and it doesn't work, why is this?
A: You need to install the CUDA toolkit for the kernel to compile.

Q: My miner windows doesn't appear onscreen!
A: Delete C:\Users\You\AppData\Roaming\poclbm\poclbm-scrypt.ini.

Q: Why does my cudaminer miner tab hang on "Connecting"?
A: Because python's subprocess can not see cudaminer's output no matter what I tweak on it.  If the author of cudaminer releases a new version in the future that has stdout streams compatible with python 2.7, I will fix this.  In the meantime, if you navigate to the "/cudaminer/" directory, you'll see that a batch file is added after you press start that you can check your performance from.

Is there plans to release a newer version, ie. v0.05 or higher? It would be great if there was an option to OC and change voltage. Maybe a more improved version of the GUI with 64-bit.

CRYPTSY exchange: https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=9017 BURST= BURST-TE3W-CFGH-7343-6VM6R BTC=1CNsqGUR9YJNrhydQZnUPbaDv6h4uaYCHv ETH=0x144bc9fe471d3c71d8e09d58060d78661b1d4f32 SHF=0x13a0a2cb0d55eca975cf2d97015f7d580ce52d85 EXP=0xd71921dca837e415a58ca0d6dd2223cc84e0ea2f SC=6bdf9d12a983fed6723abad91a39be4f95d227f9bdb0490de3b8e5d45357f63d564638b1bd71 CLAMS=xGVTdM9EJpNBCYAjHFVxuZGcqvoL22nP6f SOIL=0x8b5c989bc931c0769a50ecaf9ffe490c67cb5911
Slingshot

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 10:28:08 AM

RE: Is there plans to release a newer version, ie. v0.05 or higher? It would be great if there was an option to OC and change voltage. Maybe a more improved version of the GUI with 64-bit.

For Overclocking and voltage control you may want to try out MSI Afterburner Version 2.3.1

I found that AFTERBURNER is by far the best thing for Overclocking 7950's. At least Afterburner Version 2.3.1 works great here!

I also tried out Sapphire Trixx for the same thing but it was disappointing to say the least compared to Afterburner. Version 2.3.1 is stable. I wont even bother testing newer versions. I stick to what is stable and reliable.

Afterburner Version 2.3.1 functions extremely well, and after setting it for Overclocking, configuring it for my lousy eyeballs, and it is closed up, the PC will stay at those settings until I change them again. 5 different sets of settings for Overclocking can be saved for quick on the fly changes for temperamental mining pools, but be certain to stop the cgminers inside GUIMiner before changing Overclock speeds or risk instability while doing that at best, and a full on Video Driver freeze up at worst, plus a hard reboot. No sense in keeping Afterburner open after settings are done either. Close it up and the whole rig is more stable, with a tiny bit less energy draw and drain on resources. Just don't open or close Afterburner while your miners are running. Leaving the STRATUM on is okay, but not the cgminers inside GUIMiner.

See a prior post of mine for various overclock settings that work great for 7950's above this post.

And remember to multiply the memory overclock setting by 70% to get the proper setting for the Core Clock setting. Ie: 1500/1050.
===================================================================================

I run at 1050/1500 nonstop 24/7 with three 7950's.

Of course those are good 7950's, not the rejects or lousy built cards.

2 great, absolutely awesome Asus 7950's, and one out of three 7950 Sapphires that didn't get returned, lol, it was the lone keeper of three of them. Sadly that lone Sapphire now has one flaky fan that spins slower at idle due to a rough bearing, but still spins fine on full load interestingly speaking so I will run it as is until it grows worse.

Running with AMD Catalyst 13.4 straight from AMD's download site. Skip the crap that comes with any of the cards, fyi, unless it's already installed and then try it as is, if there is stability issues use AMD Catalyst Un-install utility 1.2.1.0 to uninstall whatever is there and then try version 13.4, or what Tacotime recommends. Again, I find what is stable, and stick to it, or if not stable I find whatever is very stable and reliable for 24/7/365 not to worry, set it and forget it, but do monitor it a few times a day if possible. I greatly reduce overclocking back to near stock setting when gone for weeks, no problems, runs super cool, but hash results are roughly 15% to 20% lower. Still, at least I don't worry about it when far away for long lengths that way.

I can't say enough great things about the ASUS 7950's. Wow what a difference. Finally was able to grab a couple from Newegg (they finally got them in stock again last June) and wow. Super Solid builds, huge, hearty things but they wont be easy to fit later on into tighter places. Had to use foam under one of them to kinda brace the weight of the thing! Not too long, but much beefier/wider than other 7950s, each taking up three slots so beware of that if anyone cares to run them on-board. And way overbuilt. But perfect for mining compared most 7950s. Likely the very best builds too. By far the least problematic compared to the Sapphires that I had. But it's pot luck from what i understand about all these AMD GPU's in all the 7950 cards no matter what brand one gets. Either it's a stable, solid AMD GPU inside, or not. Interestingly there is not a bit a difference though in the two Asus cards in hash rates, unlike the Sapphires.

As for over-volting. I tried it on the one Sapphire that was unlocked but instead it's best to lower the voltage a tad if your cards are voltage adjustable (most are voltage locked). Turn off or on the boost switches on the cards, experiment, and watch the temps. AFTERBURNER has plenty to offer those that want to over/under volt if your cards are voltage unlocked, and one can save a bit of electricity under-volting a tad bit. But too low and it will result in PC hanging up. From what I understand almost all the newer cards are voltage locked now. Guess too many fried cards, lol, got returned under warranty so they locked them from what I gather.

Best to just stick to overclocking from what I uncovered unless your willing to take ever more chances with frying a card(s). FYI my two Asus cards (according to 50Miners Overclock window) reports I run them at 1.09 volts for those two cards, and 1.169 volts for the Sapphires card,  Off Boost as I recall, or maybe that's on boost because On Boost the card runs at higher Overclock settings, I forget.

On boost (or off???) it runs at around 1.25 or 1.26 volts as I recall and that high it runs way too hot at 1050/1500 Overclock and doesn't really add much to the bottom line either. Merely Overclocking does. At 1050/1500 I get up to about 625Mhz plus or minus a couple of Mhz per card. I lower those numbers when away for long stretches to be extra sure exess room heat doesn't play any critical factors. Now that summer is over though that shouldn't be a problem with a window open a bit.

To add further twist AFTERBURNER sync's all three cards, matching up to whatever card is set as the master to it as far as Overclock settings go, so trying to run that one Sapphire On Boost (or Off??) at 1.26 volts while cranking up the Overclocking together with the two Asus cards would result in a huge mess at best (extreme heat, crashing, unstable, etc. because the Shappire would become too hot/unstable I fear, sooner or later). Can't have it all.

I choose moderately high Overclocking with great stability, locking all three to an Asus as the Master inside AFTERBURNER, then cranking up the Overclock. Leaving alone the voltages altogether in Afterburner since the only setting not shaded out is the Power Setting whatever that would do. I leave that alone as well as even in AMD's panel I go lousy hashing results higher or lower that default with that.

To check voltages 50Miner software has an Overclock window. Afterburner wont display voltages on "locked cards". But will display "Power Limits" setting instead. So look elsewhere such as with 50Miner's Overclock window for that if their voltage locked and you want to know what the voltages are. Or of course inside HWMonitor x64 or their 32 bit version as desired. That's great for monitoring temps while figuring out how high you can safely dial up your cards.

I hear one can flash different bios to unlock voltages but it's just not worth the possibility of maybe bricking a card doing so. But I did backup the BIOS with Sapphires Trixx, even the Asus BIOS too. Interestingly that was about all Trixx offered me in the end. Otherwise Afterburner is way the best that I found for Overclocking/Syncing all the cards and getting supreme stability at Overclock speeds.

Anyway hope this helps.

Caveat empore!
Slingshot

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 10:35:54 AM

Almost forgot...

Tacotime, I finally got around to updating a wallet and while doing so sent you a token of gratitude by way of LTC's

Wink

P.S. I am still sticking to whats very stable and reliable for me... v0.03  Why fix what ain't broke after all?

v0.04 for some reason wasn't so stable for me so I took the path of least resistance, as usual. Still singing like song birds those 3 cards! Thanks to Tacotime, and his GUIMiner-scrypt  v0.03

Thanks So Much.

SpeedDemon13

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 11:09:26 AM

RE: Is there plans to release a newer version, ie. v0.05 or higher? It would be great if there was an option to OC and change voltage. Maybe a more improved version of the GUI with 64-bit.

For Overclocking and voltage control you may want to try out MSI Afterburner Version 2.3.1

I found that AFTERBURNER is by far the best thing for Overclocking 7950's. At least Afterburner Version 2.3.1 works great here!

I also tried out Sapphire Trixx for the same thing but it was disappointing to say the least compared to Afterburner. Version 2.3.1 is stable. I wont even bother testing newer versions. I stick to what is stable and reliable.

Afterburner Version 2.3.1 functions extremely well, and after setting it for Overclocking, configuring it for my lousy eyeballs, and it is closed up, the PC will stay at those settings until I change them again. 5 different sets of settings for Overclocking can be saved for quick on the fly changes for temperamental mining pools, but be certain to stop the cgminers inside GUIMiner before changing Overclock speeds or risk instability while doing that at best, and a full on Video Driver freeze up at worst, plus a hard reboot. No sense in keeping Afterburner open after settings are done either. Close it up and the whole rig is more stable, with a tiny bit less energy draw and drain on resources. Just don't open or close Afterburner while your miners are running. Leaving the STRATUM on is okay, but not the cgminers inside GUIMiner.

See a prior post of mine for various overclock settings that work great for 7950's above this post.

And remember to multiply the memory overclock setting by 70% to get the proper setting for the Core Clock setting. Ie: 1500/1050.
===================================================================================

I run at 1050/1500 nonstop 24/7 with three 7950's.

Of course those are good 7950's, not the rejects or lousy built cards.

2 great, absolutely awesome Asus 7950's, and one out of three 7950 Sapphires that didn't get returned, lol, it was the lone keeper of three of them. Sadly that lone Sapphire now has one flaky fan that spins slower at idle due to a rough bearing, but still spins fine on full load interestingly speaking so I will run it as is until it grows worse.

Running with AMD Catalyst 13.4 straight from AMD's download site. Skip the crap that comes with any of the cards, fyi, unless it's already installed and then try it as is, if there is stability issues use AMD Catalyst Un-install utility 1.2.1.0 to uninstall whatever is there and then try version 13.4, or what Tacotime recommends. Again, I find what is stable, and stick to it, or if not stable I find whatever is very stable and reliable for 24/7/365 not to worry, set it and forget it, but do monitor it a few times a day if possible. I greatly reduce overclocking back to near stock setting when gone for weeks, no problems, runs super cool, but hash results are roughly 15% to 20% lower. Still, at least I don't worry about it when far away for long lengths that way.

I can't say enough great things about the ASUS 7950's. Wow what a difference. Finally was able to grab a couple from Newegg (they finally got them in stock again last June) and wow. Super Solid builds, huge, hearty things but they wont be easy to fit later on into tighter places. Had to use foam under one of them to kinda brace the weight of the thing! Not too long, but much beefier/wider than other 7950s, each taking up three slots so beware of that if anyone cares to run them on-board. And way overbuilt. But perfect for mining compared most 7950s. Likely the very best builds too. By far the least problematic compared to the Sapphires that I had. But it's pot luck from what i understand about all these AMD GPU's in all the 7950 cards no matter what brand one gets. Either it's a stable, solid AMD GPU inside, or not. Interestingly there is not a bit a difference though in the two Asus cards in hash rates, unlike the Sapphires.

As for over-volting. I tried it on the one Sapphire that was unlocked but instead it's best to lower the voltage a tad if your cards are voltage adjustable (most are voltage locked). Turn off or on the boost switches on the cards, experiment, and watch the temps. AFTERBURNER has plenty to offer those that want to over/under volt if your cards are voltage unlocked, and one can save a bit of electricity under-volting a tad bit. But too low and it will result in PC hanging up. From what I understand almost all the newer cards are voltage locked now. Guess too many fried cards, lol, got returned under warranty so they locked them from what I gather.

Best to just stick to overclocking from what I uncovered unless your willing to take ever more chances with frying a card(s). FYI my two Asus cards (according to 50Miners Overclock window) reports I run them at 1.09 volts for those two cards, and 1.169 volts for the Sapphires card,  Off Boost as I recall, or maybe that's on boost because On Boost the card runs at higher Overclock settings, I forget.

On boost (or off???) it runs at around 1.25 or 1.26 volts as I recall and that high it runs way too hot at 1050/1500 Overclock and doesn't really add much to the bottom line either. Merely Overclocking does. At 1050/1500 I get up to about 625Mhz plus or minus a couple of Mhz per card. I lower those numbers when away for long stretches to be extra sure exess room heat doesn't play any critical factors. Now that summer is over though that shouldn't be a problem with a window open a bit.

To add further twist AFTERBURNER sync's all three cards, matching up to whatever card is set as the master to it as far as Overclock settings go, so trying to run that one Sapphire On Boost (or Off??) at 1.26 volts while cranking up the Overclocking together with the two Asus cards would result in a huge mess at best (extreme heat, crashing, unstable, etc. because the Shappire would become too hot/unstable I fear, sooner or later). Can't have it all.

I choose moderately high Overclocking with great stability, locking all three to an Asus as the Master inside AFTERBURNER, then cranking up the Overclock. Leaving alone the voltages altogether in Afterburner since the only setting not shaded out is the Power Setting whatever that would do. I leave that alone as well as even in AMD's panel I go lousy hashing results higher or lower that default with that.

To check voltages 50Miner software has an Overclock window. Afterburner wont display voltages on "locked cards". But will display "Power Limits" setting instead. So look elsewhere such as with 50Miner's Overclock window for that if their voltage locked and you want to know what the voltages are. Or of course inside HWMonitor x64 or their 32 bit version as desired. That's great for monitoring temps while figuring out how high you can safely dial up your cards.

I hear one can flash different bios to unlock voltages but it's just not worth the possibility of maybe bricking a card doing so. But I did backup the BIOS with Sapphires Trixx, even the Asus BIOS too. Interestingly that was about all Trixx offered me in the end. Otherwise Afterburner is way the best that I found for Overclocking/Syncing all the cards and getting supreme stability at Overclock speeds.

Anyway hope this helps.

Caveat empore!

I like guiminer, but since it doesn't have the features as the standalone reaper or cgminer, I usually do all the oc and voltage control in there. I just make the proper bat and conf files. Less clutter then using MSI and AMD utilities. I had my 3 cards undervolted at 1.025v and oc'd: 2x HD 5870's and a 5850. They all ran stable until one 5870 and the 5850 just finally died, guess it was time for them. I hardly GPU mine now because it's not as profitable and I no longer have the hash power to get the be turn around rate.

CRYPTSY exchange: https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=9017 BURST= BURST-TE3W-CFGH-7343-6VM6R BTC=1CNsqGUR9YJNrhydQZnUPbaDv6h4uaYCHv ETH=0x144bc9fe471d3c71d8e09d58060d78661b1d4f32 SHF=0x13a0a2cb0d55eca975cf2d97015f7d580ce52d85 EXP=0xd71921dca837e415a58ca0d6dd2223cc84e0ea2f SC=6bdf9d12a983fed6723abad91a39be4f95d227f9bdb0490de3b8e5d45357f63d564638b1bd71 CLAMS=xGVTdM9EJpNBCYAjHFVxuZGcqvoL22nP6f SOIL=0x8b5c989bc931c0769a50ecaf9ffe490c67cb5911
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:20:50 AM

Is there plans to release a newer version, ie. v0.05 or higher? It would be great if there was an option to OC and change voltage. Maybe a more improved version of the GUI with 64-bit.

Does voltage control work reliably through CGMiner now?  The AMD ADL was broken for a while with it

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
c1010010

Activity: 275

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 12:57:27 PM

Does voltage control work reliably through CGMiner now?  The AMD ADL was broken for a while with it

No, I've not had it working yet.

YOU TOO CAN BE A MILLIONAIRE – INFINITECOIN Infinite possibilities – http://infinitecointalk.org          
SilverRobot

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:40:26 PM

Hi all,  Wondering if this may be a lost cause but said I would ask before giving up hope!.. I have a Intel HD 4400 graphics card have tried a lot of different configurations with settings but it stubbornly stays at 8khs which is useless really. Thanks!
True___Blue

Activity: 354

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 08:27:35 PM

Other tips that may also help others just starting out.......

So put the following in cgminer(s) in the field titled HOST:    pool1.us.multipool.us

And as well in the Stratum Proxy miner in the field titled HOST:   pool1.us.multipool.us

for the port setting for both the above use:    3336

Thanks for this post. I have found it very helpful. I have been using cgminer to mine BTC with an ASIC block erupter but now I am venturing into scrypt mining. When I mined for BTC I had the cgminer start with a .bat file.  I'm not sure what you mean put pool1.us.multipool.us in the host field for cgminer and Stratum Proxy. Can you give me some noob friendly instructions? 

Thanks

KingSlamma

Activity: 48

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:46:00 PM

I am receiving this error when trying to start Guiminer Scrypt
It throws the error and never opens

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "guiminer.py", line 20, in <module>
  File "pyopencl\__init__.pyo", line 4, in <module>
  File "pyopencl\_cl.pyo", line 12, in <module>
  File "pyopencl\_cl.pyo", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

Windows 7 64bit
AMD Radeon HD 7470

Anyone know of anyway to resolve the issue?
KingSlamma

Activity: 48

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 06:28:21 PM

Windows 7 64bit
AMD Radeon HD 7470

I updated the Driver from 13.4 to 13.9 and I was finally able to open the application.

Now when I try to start the miner it just keeps saying "Connecting".
Any ideas?
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:51:59 PM

Hi all,  Wondering if this may be a lost cause but said I would ask before giving up hope!.. I have a Intel HD 4400 graphics card have tried a lot of different configurations with settings but it stubbornly stays at 8khs which is useless really. Thanks!
Sadly the integrated intel hd series of graphics accelerators are pretty much useless at this point imho

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
MaxBTC1

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 05:31:12 PM

Does this only work for AMD cards?

I have Intel HD 4000? If default is higher than that will it never work?
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 05:59:42 PM

Windows 7 64bit
AMD Radeon HD 7470

I updated the Driver from 13.4 to 13.9 and I was finally able to open the application.

Now when I try to start the miner it just keeps saying "Connecting".
Any ideas?

Execute the .bat in the cgminer folder and look at the output

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: