Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:01:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Smartcoin Linux mining administration. [MULTI-MACHINE SUPPORT NOW IN!]  (Read 104960 times)
jondecker76 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 01:37:30 PM

tigereye

I just committed a change regarding the /tmp directory, perhaps it will help.  smartcoin is meant to be installed and run as user. Here is what I would do:

1) Under user, make sure you clear the data directory:
Code:
rm -r ~/.smartcoin

2) Clear out any temporary data:
Code:
sudo rm /tmp/smartcoin*

3) Follow the install stuff again.  Remove the old smartcoin directory and start again.

4) During the detection of the AMD/ATI SDK detection, there is a bug on some systems which shows two paths on one line.  Since Linuxcoin is 64 bit, make sure to leave only the 64 bit relevant path!

5) If after starting things appear not to run, detach from smartcoin (option 3 on the control screen), then run
Code:
screen -r miner

This will bring you to the individual  miner instances where you can see directly the error output of phoenix

RollerBot Advanced Trading Platform
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=447727.0
BTC Donations for development: 1H36oTJsi3adFh68wwzz95tPP2xoAoTmhC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RockDJ

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 01:48:32 PM

hi againg guys, now that everything seems to be working, I tried to push a bit the device to obtain better results. But I have some doubts...

I changed the parameters of the device via AMDOverdriveCtrl to this values:

- GPU: 725 MHz
- Memory: 1000 MHz
- Voltage: 1050 V

Phoenix is currently running with those instructions:

BFI_INT VECTORS FASTLOOP=false aggression=19 -k phatk (with -k phatk at the end of the line)

This are the results:

- about 500-550 MHash/s
- Temperature around 82/85 °C (about 180°F) with fanspeed 100%

but I have some questions:

a) performances are better but (with this in mind https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison) are still quite far from the average of 5970. With no Overclocking should be around 650 MHash/s
b) Am I taking any hardware risk with the current parameters that I wrote above? How can I determine the risk?
c) How long can I work with those settings?
c) I'm currently mining in two different pools (BTCFarm e BTCGuild), smartcoin tells me that I have an hashrate of respectively 270 and 265 Mhash/s (-> tot 535) while looking at the stats on both pools web pages the result is respectively 150 e 215 (-> tot 365). WHERE THE HELL ARE THE MISSING 170 Mhash/s??

jondecker76 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:19:16 PM

RockDJ

The mining  hardware wiki doesn't show rates with no overclock, it shows average reported max MHash with overclocking involved.

Regarding going by hashrates reported by pools, those are calculated on an average.  With this in mind, give it 10-15 minutes to "catch up" and you will see that they should be pretty colse (they will almost never be exactly the same, as it is calculated at the pool's end)

jondecker76 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:06:02 PM

Update r419 available for both Experimental and Stable
- AMD/ATI SDK detection at install is now fixed (no more returning both the 64 bit path and the 32 bit path on some systems)
- Temporary files in /tmp are deleted automatically on restarts
- rejection percentage is now shown for each individual pool

dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:26:55 PM

Before updating, i report a problem in r383.
I created 3 profiles & gave it in fail over order.
It worked correctly once i tried.
But today after my system restart the failover profile runs not one pool but all the 3 pools i gave in fail over order.
I even changed the order, which didn't stop it from mining in all the pools in failover order.
so switched back to auto one.

Hope new updates solve those problems.
jondecker76 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:51:20 PM

dishwara:
If you would have let it continue to run, the extra failover profiles would have dropped off within a few minutes.  The reason is, the failover data in the database isn't reset between restarts, and in recent versions the failover detection is more sensitive - so what likely happened is:
1) Startup took long enough that it tripped the first profile as failed
2) the next failover profile was still marked as failed in the database probably from a previous failure, which caused the 3rd profile to fall into order.
3) After they would have shown they weren't down for a minute or so, they would have fallen back off the list

I have always considered whether this is desired behavior or not.  Now seeing how it has confused you (and possibly other users),  I'm committing a change right now that reduces the failover detection sensitivity a bit, and also failover data in the database is reset each restart of smartcoin.

jondecker76 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:53:05 PM

Update r421 stable and experimental available.
- Failover sensitivity lowered a bit (it now takes 8 consecutive iterations of seeing a profile listed as "down" before marking it failed)
- Failover data in the database is now cleared each restart of smartcoin

Rob P.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 07:09:24 PM

1- If there are any commands that you want to have run automatically when smartcoin starts, create a file "init.sh" in the smartcoin directory.  Then you can add your commands that you want run on startup. I.e.:
Doesn't aticonfig require root privileges? In other words, doesn't he need to use sudo with the password in plaintext in the init script?

You only require root privileges if X windows is already running as the 'root' user.  For example, if you do not have auto-login enabled.  If however, you do have auto-login enabled, then you can run 'aticonfig' as your logged in user.

--

If you like what I've written here, consider tipping the messenger:
1GZu4CtHa6ai8iWoWiVFxV5VVoNte4SkoG

If you don't like what I've written, send me a Tip and I'll stop talking.
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 07:16:41 PM

Update r421 stable and experimental available.
- Failover sensitivity lowered a bit (it now takes 8 consecutive iterations of seeing a profile listed as "down" before marking it failed)
- Failover data in the database is now cleared each restart of smartcoin

ok.
plantucha

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 11:43:18 PM

Can you please add support for CPU mining?

In theory, CPU mining should work.  Give this a try:
1) Configure Miners -> Add
then add an identical copy of the default phoenix miner, but with a reasonable aggression (5?)
2) Configure Devices -> Add
enter the details of your CPU (name it something like CPU[0]), and make sure the device number is correct.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I purposely try to detect only GPU's at install, as most people wont' want to run CPU mining.  I think it may even pound the CPU so much, that you may have problems even handling the incoming SSH connection (which Is why I suggested using a lower aggression in phonix) - but feel free to give it a try and let us know if it works!

Can't add correct device number. For some reason it is taking only opencl devices.

also i want to use cgminer or minerd because implemented -aclu 4way and -aclu sse2_64

phoenix is runnig my CPU only 3mhash/s   , minerd = 25mhash/s

so mayby in future..
plantucha

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 12:19:05 AM

Can you please add support for CPU mining?

In theory, CPU mining should work.  Give this a try:
1) Configure Miners -> Add
then add an identical copy of the default phoenix miner, but with a reasonable aggression (5?)
2) Configure Devices -> Add
enter the details of your CPU (name it something like CPU[0]), and make sure the device number is correct.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I purposely try to detect only GPU's at install, as most people wont' want to run CPU mining.  I think it may even pound the CPU so much, that you may have problems even handling the incoming SSH connection (which Is why I suggested using a lower aggression in phonix) - but feel free to give it a try and let us know if it works!

Can't add correct device number. For some reason it is taking only opencl devices.

also i want to use cgminer or minerd because implemented -aclu 4way and -aclu sse2_64

phoenix is runnig my CPU only 3mhash/s   , minerd = 25mhash/s

so mayby in future..

Code:
GPU[0]: [204.97 Mhash/sec] [1 Accepted] [0 Rejected] [RPC (+LP)]
GPU[1]: [204.91 Mhash/sec] [2 Accepted] [0 Rejected] [RPC (+LP)]
GPU[2]: [205.03 Mhash/sec] [1 Accepted] [0 Rejected] [RPC (+LP)]
GPU[3]: [205.00 Mhash/sec] [0 Accepted] [0 Rejected] [RPC (+LP)]
GPU[0]: <<<DOWN>>>                                                                                  <<< here is  CPU cgminer                     
Total : [819.91 MHash/sec] [4 Accepted] [0 Rejected] [0% Rejected]

cgminer (compiled without GPU support) or minerd doesn't require any device number
however in profile I MUST choose defined device GPU[X] although it is not necessary for CPU miner
=>
miner is actually working, but showing <<<DOWN>>>    ==> failover changing profile

jondecker76 (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:32:33 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2011, 01:50:17 AM by jondecker76

Code:
actually, you can enter any number you wish, it doesn't have to be an opencl device number, its just what it is normally used for (you can enter 1000 here, if you wanted to).  In the miner setup, if the <#device#> tag is used, this is where that number comes from.  In a miner launchstring that doesn't use the <#device#> tag, its irrelevant anyways.

As far as profiles go,  a device still has to be used in cases like what you are trying to do. It keeps the logic of the program together. The device table its self is abstract - a device is simply something capable of doing hashes as far as bitcoin is concerned so it isn't locked to openCL devices  (I'm also confused as to why you named the cpu 'GPU[0]'?  You can give it any nickname you want - 'AMD6400' for example - this is also true for GPU devices, they just happened to be named 'GPU[X]' by the autodetection code.  You can rename one of your GPU devices 'AMD 5850' if you want even.)

I'm committing changes shortly that let you specify a device type ('gpu' or 'cpu'). This has always existed in the database, but was  hard coded until now to always be 'gpu'.  By marking a device as a non-gpu type, it will keep the aticonfig commands from trying to get information from the non-gpu device.

Can you post sample output from minerd and cgminer?  As well as the command usually used to launch them?    I can add support to show their hashrate along with everything else, if I have this information.

jondecker76 (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:40:02 AM

Update r425 stable and experimental available.
- Worker rejected percentage now will display at least 0 until calculations start
- Start of cpu device support. Devices can now be flagged as to their type

Main focus for a while is going to shift to supporting more miners as everything else has been very stable.  This will require some internal design changes, such as abstracting the hashrate value to a determined base and converting other hashrates outside of this base on the fly (phoenix will report in MHash and poclbm reports in KHash for example).  I also have to find a way to get the accepted/rejected information from other miners, as most miners don't calculate them.

plantucha

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 03:29:35 AM

Code:
actually, you can enter any number you wish, it doesn't have to be an opencl device number, its just what it is normally used for (you can enter 1000 here, if you wanted to).  In the miner setup, if the <#device#> tag is used, this is where that number comes from.  In a miner launchstring that doesn't use the <#device#> tag, its irrelevant anyways.

As far as profiles go,  a device still has to be used in cases like what you are trying to do. It keeps the logic of the program together. The device table its self is abstract - a device is simply something capable of doing hashes as far as bitcoin is concerned so it isn't locked to openCL devices  (I'm also confused as to why you named the cpu 'GPU[0]'?  You can give it any nickname you want - 'AMD6400' for example - this is also true for GPU devices, they just happened to be named 'GPU[X]' by the autodetection code.  You can rename one of your GPU devices 'AMD 5850' if you want even.)

I'm committing changes shortly that let you specify a device type ('gpu' or 'cpu'). This has always existed in the database, but was  hard coded until now to always be 'gpu'.  By marking a device as a non-gpu type, it will keep the aticonfig commands from trying to get information from the non-gpu device.

Can you post sample output from minerd and cgminer?  As well as the command usually used to launch them?    I can add support to show their hashrate along with everything else, if I have this information.

I didn't named CPU  'GPU[0]' , since it was not needed by miner, I didn't set new device .

Then I picked just one of GPUs  'GPU[0]' because it was not going to fill out any variable in miners formula

Cgminer page: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=28402.0

Btw:
Cgminer has newest phat kernel support => faster than phoenix for GPU

Here is output from cgminer:
with GPU support is just listed GPU 0 ...X
similar like CPUs just X more rows

Code:
cgminer version 1.2.7 - Started: [2011-07-16 23:05:55]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 [(5s):21.1  (avg):20.1 Mh/s] [Q:48  A:4  R:0  HW:0  E:8%  U:0.60/m]
 TQ: 0  ST: 0  LS: 0  SS: 0  DW: 0  NB: 1  LW: 0  LO: 0  RF: 0  I: 0
 Connected to http://btcguild.com:8332/ as user plantucha_cpu
 Block 0001733e6f81123485248db025826449  started: [2011-07-16 23:09:20]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 CPU 0: [3.3 Mh/s] [Q:8  A:0  R:0  HW:0  E:0%  U:0.00/m]
 CPU 1: [3.3 Mh/s] [Q:8  A:2  R:0  HW:0  E:29%  U:0.34/m]
 CPU 2: [3.3 Mh/s] [Q:8  A:0  R:0  HW:0  E:0%  U:0.00/m]
 CPU 3: [3.5 Mh/s] [Q:8  A:2  R:0  HW:0  E:29%  U:0.33/m]
 CPU 4: [3.3 Mh/s] [Q:8  A:0  R:0  HW:0  E:0%  U:0.00/m]
 CPU 5: [3.3 Mh/s] [Q:8  A:0  R:0  HW:0  E:0%  U:0.00/m]

[2011-07-16 23:07:09] Share b245ba02 accepted from CPU 3 thread 3
[2011-07-16 23:09:17] LONGPOLL detected new block on network, waiting on fresh work
[2011-07-16 23:09:18] Share 87576403 accepted from CPU 1 thread 1
[2011-07-16 23:11:47] Share cf2be405 accepted from CPU 1 thread 1
[2011-07-16 23:12:05] Share 2859a209 accepted from CPU 3 thread 3

launching code
Code:
./cgminer -a 4way -t 6 -o http://btcguild.com:8332/ -u <#user#> -p <#pass#>

-t <arg>  Number of miner CPU threads

-a <arg>     Specify sha256 implementation:
        c               Linux kernel sha256, implemented in C
        4way            tcatm's 4-way SSE2 implementation
        via             VIA padlock implementation
        cryptopp        Crypto++ C/C++ implementation
        sse2_64         SSE2 implementation for x86_64 machines (default: sse2_64)
jondecker76 (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 11:36:58 AM

plantucha -

I'm just testing the cgminer and poclbm support.
So far for me, cgminer has been the slowest of the bunch for me (about 1040 MHash/sec vs about 1150 MHash/sec in phoenix). Here is the launch string that I have been testing with:
Code:
./cgminer -a 4way -t 2 -g 2 -o http://pit.x8s.de:8337 -u <#user#> -p <#pass#> -I 14

Also, I don't get much more than 0.7MHash out of my GPU no matter what I do (though, it is an older P4)

Let me know if you have any suggestions!  I'll update this post once I can confirm that the cgminer support in smartcoin is complete

jondecker76 (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:21:09 PM

Update r439(experimental) available!

- Miner monitoring internal restructure is finished
- Hash rates are abstracted, so that hashrates from different bases add up properly (in the case where some are reported back as MHash, and others as khash, etc)
- preliminary poclbm support!  Take note, however, that the Accepted and Rejected info will always read 0, as poclbm doesn't supply these!
- preliminary cgminer support!  Everything appears to work fine here, including accepted/rejected stats.

To test poclbm support:
-go to Configure Miners->Add and add the poclbm miner, use the following launch string (adjust parameters as necessary):
Code:
python <#path#>poclbm.py -d <#device#> --host http://<#server#> --port <#port#> --user <#user#> --pass <#pass#> -v -w 128 -f0

- Make a new profile that uses the new poclbm miner
- Change profiles to the new profile

To test cgminer support:
- got to Configure Miners->Add and add the cgminer. Use the following launch string (and adjust parameters as necessary)
Code:
<#path#>cgminer -a 4way -g 2 -d <#device#> -o http://<#server#>:<#port#> -u <#user#> -p <#pass#> -I 14
Note: add -t 2 to also start 2 CPU mining threads with each instance if you also want to add CPU mining!  If done this way, you can create a dummy device, name it CPU, leave the device number blank and set its type to 'cpu', and this should start a CPU-only instance

If you have problems or errors, please restart smartcoin then try again. Report back failures or success please

jondecker76 (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:06:55 PM

I want to gather suggestions on the preferred cli email program to be used by smartcoin.  I'll go with the most requested.

I finished a new routine which monitors for GPU lockups (the kind common when pushing overclocking a bit too far)
All of my tests so far indicate that a full reboot is needed to recover from locked card conditions.  Currently, the routine will monitor for this  kind of hard lock condition,  and if found it will Log and error, shut down smartcoin and fire off an email.  I'm going to do some tests to see if its possible to revive a locked card, but until then this is about as elegant as I can come up with.

Any further suggestions on this?

Rob P.

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 04:26:54 PM

I want to gather suggestions on the preferred cli email program to be used by smartcoin.  I'll go with the most requested.

Any further suggestions on this?

Jon, you know me, always with the suggestions.  I'd look at "sendemail":

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/sendemail.1.html

Several examples of usage here:

http://www.debianadmin.com/how-to-sendemail-from-the-command-line-using-a-gmail-account-and-others.html

Seems much more lightweight than requiring EXIM, Postfix, or Sendmail be installed.

--

Alan Lupton

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:58:08 PM

Hi, I have a little problem on two of my rigs. Auto Donate runs for 4 hours str8 and I can't get it to stop (did a reboot already). Any file I can delete to resolve this issue? r425 stable
Rob P.

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 05:05:30 PM

Hi, I have a little problem on two of my rigs. Auto Donate runs for 4 hours str8 and I can't get it to stop (did a reboot already). Any file I can delete to resolve this issue? r425 stable

Run an update, r442 is the latest stable release and may fix that.

--

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: