Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:05:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OS] nvOC easy-to-use Linux Nvidia Mining  (Read 417956 times)
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 05:03:17 PM

Could the b250 gaming 3 support a 5th card with the m.2 adapter? Or does this chipset not work like that.

I will test this later and let you know. 
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 05:21:39 PM

I am planning to use this board
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128975&cm_re=Z270P-_-13-128-975-_-Product
I would like to use your software, has anyone setup their rig with this board and your software before? I do not see it on the supported OP

What is the opinion on SSD vs USB drive, it makes sense to use a usb for the HD if its fully functional for this setup, however if an SSD is needed that is not an issue however given the choice why not use USB?

I will order one of these and make an image for it:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128975

I understand why members are hesitant to try a USB key, cheap USBs are usually terrible: and fast ones are usually expensive.  

The Lexar drives I recommend are both fast and cheap.  Other members have requested I fully support SSDs again; so I am going to re-add full support for them in a later version.  

Currently you will either need to use manual intervention or make some changes to the system or bash files when using an ssd.

Personally I use all Lexar 16gb USBs with my rigs; except one has a Lexar 32gb I got to test.  I think they are the better choice over a more expensive ssd.

This is my reasoning:

The 16gb Lexar's I recommend are very fast (watch one of the nvOC demo videos if you don't believe me)

are very cheap: $8

are easy to attach to image then remove and reattach to a rig

vs a regular SSD or HDD allow you to use at least one less cable on your rig.

Finally using a usb key allows users to try nvOC without needing to install over their previous OS (no commitment needed).

Although one could use a sata to usb adapter with an ssd, or any type of usb ssd / adapter (there are a lot)  and it would match all the advantages other than cost.  I recommend spending $8 on a Lexar 16gb and seeing if it is fast enough for you; if it is (and most likely it is) then you just saved ~$30 per rig.

Hi fullzero, when do you estimate this image to be available?

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 05:26:45 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2017, 06:56:12 PM by fullzero

ok, will get G4560 on the h270 if it works i have many (40 1060 3GB) on its way.

I just ordered the h270, Ill let you know how it goes when I get it in.  

regarding reboot im not sure because i saw how SMos works id there is GPU freezes it send force reboot command to reboot the rig. i have experience some GPU freezes the whole ubuntu it did not reboot at all requires a hard reset. not a biggie anyway i have ppl monitoring the farm 15/24 a day.

Generally Nvidia cards are significantly more stable than AMD.  Basic error mitigation is handled with an execution loop for the mining client with nvOC.  If the mining client crashes you will see the message:

FAILURE; reinit in 5

and then the client will relaunch.  This will resolve almost all errors / problems automatically without your intervention.  The only time I have crashed rigs running nvOC is when I was using too high of an OC.  I divide OC into 3 ranges.  

1 stable OC
2 OC that is unstable; and will operate for a stochastically delimited amount of time before crashing
3 OC that will immediately crash the system

Some miners like to babysit rigs and think OC of type 2 is optimal.  I disagree; I always find the highest OC that is still type 1 (stable) and use it.

thx for your great effort puttin into all this nvOS. cant wait for ur update on the h270 boards, hopefully 8GPUs is possible.

I really believe in Bitcoin and Crypto and will always endeavor to make it easier for people to use the Networks and start mining.  

Many long time miners seek to discourage new miners fearing the difficulty increases additional hashrate will bring.  

I think the crypto marketcap (see coincap.io ) still has a lot of growing to do; and mainstream (or at least for now, increased) adoption will increase the value of all coins ultimately resulting in better mining revenue for all.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 05:30:29 PM

Thanks for answering! Installed openssh-server for now. Is running apt a good idea, to upgrade packages?

Will a MSI Z270-A Pro also be able to use the M.2?

Please consider a console version, would be very useful especially offsite. Chances are that a mixed AMD / GeForce image will be easier to create in a console version.

I would recommend updating packages if you install an additional program.

I will test that mobo with the m2 adapter, most likely I think it will be able to do 7 cards with 1x m2 adapter.  I will post results after testing when I can.

In regards to a mixed version see:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1854250.msg19055518#msg19055518
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 05:34:26 PM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128975&cm_re=Z270P-_-13-128-975-_-Product
I would like to use your software, has anyone setup their rig with this board and your software before? I do not see it on the supported OP

What is the opinion on SSD vs USB drive, it makes sense to use a usb for the HD if its fully functional for this setup, however if an SSD is needed that is not an issue however given the choice why not use USB?

I will order one of these and make an image for it:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128975

I understand why members are hesitant to try a USB key, cheap USBs are usually terrible: and fast ones are usually expensive.  

The Lexar drives I recommend are both fast and cheap.  Other members have requested I fully support SSDs again; so I am going to re-add full support for them in a later version.  

Currently you will either need to use manual intervention or make some changes to the system or bash files when using an ssd.

Personally I use all Lexar 16gb USBs with my rigs; except one has a Lexar 32gb I got to test.  I think they are the better choice over a more expensive ssd.

This is my reasoning:

The 16gb Lexar's I recommend are very fast (watch one of the nvOC demo videos if you don't believe me)

Finally using a usb key allows users to try nvOC without needing to install over their previous OS (no commitment needed).

Although one could use a sata to usb adapter with an ssd, or any type of usb ssd / adapter (there are a lot)  and it would match all the advantages other than cost.  I recommend spending $8 on a Lexar 16gb and seeing if it is fast enough for you; if it is (and most likely it is) then you just saved ~$30 per rig.

Your lucky and Newegg shipped this one to me from NJ so I might get it by tonight. 

If I do I will make an image for it tonight; if it comes tomorrow I will make one tomorrow night.

citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 05:38:20 PM

Once onebash starts.... it goes in ok and got PL 135 and the EWBF starts but the Gigabyte Auros 1080ti refused to mine... and EWBF created error messages "Server connection lost..."

Something odd happening.... because my 1070s are mining ok to Nicehash.

I used the +100/+900 clock settings in bashone onebash file -- stuck at EWBF opening screen

then.... used +100/+500, +50/+900, +50/+500 ... no luck again.

Now I just settled for default +100/+100 and its mining fine.

Interesting.

Btw, have you got time to play with Philip's Biostar RACING Z170-GT7 ?

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 05:50:30 PM

Once onebash starts.... it goes in ok and got PL 135 and the EWBF starts but the Gigabyte Auros 1080ti refused to mine... and EWBF created error messages "Server connection lost..."

Something odd happening.... because my 1070s are mining ok to Nicehash.

I used the +100/+900 clock settings in bashone onebash file -- stuck at EWBF opening screen

then.... used +100/+500, +50/+900, +50/+500 ... no luck again.

Now I just settled for default +100/+100 and its mining fine.

Interesting.

Btw, have you got time to play with Philip's Biostar RACING Z170-GT7 ?

Different card models have different base clocks.  Because Nvidia-smi uses offset values and not total values, this can result in settings not being portable between different card models.  I don't know the base clocks for the Gigabyte Auros 1080ti, but I would guess they are higher than the EVGA ones I have; thus using the same offsets results in a higher OC. 

I would try walking up the OC values, edging up memory first with the Gigabyte Auros 1080ti: say +100/+150 to start, then +100/+200 ect until you find the highest type 1 OC.

Tracking shows a Saturday delivery for my Biostar RACING Z170-GT7 mobo. 

yun9999

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 02:14:19 AM

Which image for MSI Gaming 5 motherboard to support 7 GPU?  Not sure if it's an issue with the image or something else but it wouldn't boot up even for the BIOS screen with the GPUs and NVOS flash drive connected when using the TB85 motherboard image.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 02:21:55 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2017, 04:09:51 AM by fullzero

Which image for MSI Gaming 5 motherboard to support 7 GPU?  Not sure if it's an issue with the image or something else but it wouldn't boot up even for the BIOS screen with the GPUs and NVOS flash drive connected when using the TB85 motherboard image.

For an MSI Z170-A GAMING M5 use this image:

Currently each image is unique so I can only ensure they will work for the mobo listed to support.
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 03:04:25 AM

This is my reasoning:

Your lucky and Newegg shipped this one to me from NJ so I might get it by tonight. 

If I do I will make an image for it tonight; if it comes tomorrow I will make one tomorrow night.

You're a legend mate Cheesy

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
xleejohnx

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:05:16 AM

Which image for MSI Gaming 5 motherboard to support 7 GPU?  Not sure if it's an issue with the image or something else but it wouldn't boot up even for the BIOS screen with the GPUs and NVOS flash drive connected when using the TB85 motherboard image.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3ra23kLdr5laXNVS2U5UzVRS0U/view?usp=sharing

Currently each image is unique so I can only ensure they will work for the mobo listed to support.
Why are you having to do that?
Are you having to do it like that because of how the motherboard pci lanes are assigned?

As I see a super coin as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions. ~philipma1957
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:14:27 AM

You're a legend mate Cheesy

It didn't come today, should be tomorrow.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:21:05 AM

Are you having to do it like that because of how the motherboard pci lanes are assigned?

I now include system files for all the common chipsets in each new image I make, so primary reason is matching the pci indexes: which I will auto fix soon, just overloaded for a bit more until I can full time crypto. 

Also when going over 6 cards there are other changes which have to be made, in addition to specific bios settings. 

Knowing which bios settings actually need to be changed, makes a huge difference in how difficult it is to build a rig.  By building a rig myself; I isolate those settings and take pictures of them to make replicating the build easier.

xleejohnx

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:30:15 AM

I now include system files for all the common chipsets in each new image I make, so primary reason is matching the pci indexes: which I will auto fix soon, just overloaded for a bit more until I can full time crypto. 

Also when going over 6 cards there are other changes which have to be made, in addition to specific bios settings. 

Knowing which bios settings actually need to be changed, makes a huge difference in how difficult it is to build a rig.  By building a rig myself; I isolate those settings and take pictures of them to make replicating the build easier.

Now there is a dream of mine!! Full time crypto!!

As I see a super coin as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions. ~philipma1957
yun9999

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:34:22 AM

FullZero,

Work with Reelen, he's my bud too.  We can get you a MSI Gaming 5 Z97 MB.  Would love to have an image that work for this Motherboard as it's very commonly used MB for 7 GPU mining.  Thanks! 
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:59:38 AM

FullZero,

Work with Reelen, he's my bud too.  We can get you a MSI Gaming 5 Z97 MB.  Would love to have an image that work for this Motherboard as it's very commonly used MB for 7 GPU mining.  Thanks! 

Ironically I used to have a MSI Gaming 5 Z97 Motherboard; but I sold it to Reelen. 

I suppose I can buy it back.

yun9999

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 04:30:58 AM

PM me your address.  I will send you 1.  No need to buy it.  I'm also willing to support your Dashboard too should you need some service like Amazon Cloud hosting services or something.  Let me know.  Will be happy to support your awesome work.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 04:44:38 AM

PM me your address.  I will send you 1.  No need to buy it.  I'm also willing to support your Dashboard too should you need some service like Amazon Cloud hosting services or something.  Let me know.  Will be happy to support your awesome work.

Sounds good, I'm not 100% sure I will be able to get 7x with that chipset; but most likely it is doable.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 06:07:01 AM

I added a fully compatible nvOC image for the ASUS Z270-F GAMING Motherboard  

The SHA256 hash (for the zip) is:
7abd76fc656f9605086535dc71215437288689e644f72e3fe1ba54d3f9f87f4d

ASUS Z270-F GAMING up to 9x cards with 2x m2_to_pcie_adapters (note all OC) Link Grin

nvOC is for fast 16gb or larger USB keys see the OP for a link

This image includes plusCPU setting to enable cpuminer-opt to mine XMR while mining another COIN with the GPUs.

This image has the newest oneBash supporting these COIN selections:

ZEC   ZCL   FTC   LBC   MUSIC   ETC   EXP   ETH   DCR   PASC
DUAL_ETC_DCR       DUAL_ETC_PASC        DUAL_ETC_LBC         DUAL_ETC_SC
DUAL_EXP_DCR       DUAL_EXP_PASC        DUAL_EXP_LBC         DUAL_EXP_SC
DUAL_ETH_DCR       DUAL_ETH_PASC        DUAL_ETH_LBC        DUAL_ETH_SC
DUAL_MUSIC_DCR   DUAL_MUSIC_PASC    DUAL_MUSIC_LBC    DUAL_MUSIC_SC

cpuminer-opt is compiled several different CPUs in this image.  I built this image with a G4560 CPU.  

This motherboard requires the following bios changes before it will work correctly with nvOC:

ensure 'Above 4G Decoding' is enabled in the bios.

ensure PTP aware OS: is set to 'Not PTP Aware' in the bios.

ensure you 'Clear Secure Boot Keys' in the bios.  

Please note to use 9x cards you must use: 2x m2_to_pcie_adapters.
viperman2

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 11:18:05 AM

Hi,
i bought a few ASUS DUAL 1060s 6GB , and i'm going to test your OS.

I saw that this v0014 is specific for USB keys, i would like to use 3.5 HDD, will you provide download link to older version. Thanks.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 417 »
  Print  

Jump to: