Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:37:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 12:59:56 AM

I wanted to see block sizes, which the the block explorers I knew about did not show.

So I put up http://devcoin.21stcenturymoneytalk.org/

Just looked and you're right; all three existing ones just show the size on a per-transaction basis. Thanks!

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:03:04 AM

I wanted to see block sizes, which the the block explorers I knew about did not show.

So I put up http://devcoin.21stcenturymoneytalk.org/

Thanks for the block explorer. Twobits is awarded the last 2 share block explorer bounty:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg937183#msg937183

and will get one share ongoing as long as his block explorer is working most of the time.

The block explorer bounty is finished.

Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:08:11 AM

Luckybit and Wiser thought of a way for readers to request stories and get full answers to questions:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240540.0

from their idea, a story has been written:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252709.msg2694084#msg2694084

so they both get four shares for their successful idea:

If the idea succeeds, you and Wiser will get four shares. I will consider the idea a success if at least one big article is written because of it.

twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:40:20 AM

Well, each time i encrypt my devcoin wallet i am unable to open the client on my mac...
Already deleted all files and backed up my wallet from my cold storage, it just not working sigh*

I dont know where the problem comes from, it launches but at a point it stops working, like if it cannot open the wallet

Imagine users get that problem and dont have a backup for their wallet file... Happily i do.

I get this error : EXCEPTION: NSt8ios_base7failureE       
CDataStream::read() : end of data       
bitcoin in AppInit()       

I can't duplicate this.  Can you put at least the last 20 or so lines of debug.log at a pastbin site or something, and send me a pm with the link. Also exactly what version of the OS you are running and anything else like settings you have changes from the defaults that may help reproduce it.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:47:38 PM

This person seems like they already bought 11 or so btc and flashed 20 btc but remove it so they prob spending about 35 to 50 btc at this price. Seems like a noob because he doesnt know how dvc works. Any wall in the bid book will get eaten up slowly but to create a pump is what will drive others to buy. The wall will give incentive to selloff a big chunk to someone whonjust got the coins. A pump would have them add or hold thinking its rising. That person is either greedy or doesnt know how to manage hos position. I did the opposite i created a pump earlier and price rose for 35% subsequently. Noone has made a substantial pump after mine. Ive only seen the occasional attempts
at a few btc in the buy book that gets eaten up slowly as price jist sits there waiting for sellers.

If ur smart u would buy half above market and then place half in the book in increments.

Are you kidding?  This guy looks like he knows exactly what he's doing, he's trying to get the most for his money.  You really think a few guys spending a few grand are gonna pump devcoin up and keep it there?  That's foolish.  It's gonna take real demand and hundreds of thousands in consistent dollars to get devcoin up and keep it there.

Calling a guy greedy or dumb cause he's not purposely paying more than market value for devcoin is ridiculous.  This pump mentality is what keeps people away from speculative assets like devcoin.  Lets focus on fundamentals and hope bitcoin gets its ETF and then you'll see real market forces move devcoin to new all-time highs without the need for 2nd rate pump schemes which don't work for even a single day.
Wiser is probably right as always. Ive seem alot of these the last few months and price collapses after wall breaks seems like it will need a breakthrough to gain some traction.. the kimd you are talking about. Good to accumulate here for sure.

I appreciate my growing reputation as being always right Wink  However, I didn't actually say that.  And I still don't understand how a pump works Sad
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:48:57 PM

I think there's something funny with the quoting script because now it looks like someone else said what I just posted--the bit about being always right and not understanding how a pump works.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:50:33 PM

Wow!  I've been away from this thread for a few days.  What a nice surprise to come back to this.  Thanks!  

Off to publish my last article for this round!

Luckybit and Wiser thought of a way for readers to request stories and get full answers to questions:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240540.0

from their idea, a story has been written:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252709.msg2694084#msg2694084

so they both get four shares for their successful idea:

If the idea succeeds, you and Wiser will get four shares. I will consider the idea a success if at least one big article is written because of it.

twobits

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 09:23:29 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2013, 10:48:27 PM by twobits

I think there's something funny with the quoting script because now it looks like someone else said what I just posted--the bit about being always right and not understanding how a pump works.

As you said you got misattributed in what you say now misattributed again, I would bet that nothing funny is going on with the quote function, but that what is being quoted has unbalanced quote tags from someone's edit.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:40:59 AM

how do I get on the developer list? Id liketo take more of a developer and or administrator role as I believe in the long term potential of dvc. I write software for a living.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 07:14:39 AM

how do I get on the developer list? Id liketo take more of a developer and or administrator role as I believe in the long term potential of dvc. I write software for a living.

Admins are chosen for their contributions but if you can code I'm sure you can be an asset as a developer.  My guess is start adding value by looking at the bounty list which shows what kind of work is needed the most and go from there.  That's what I've seen a lot of programmers do and they're then judged by the quality of their work. Good luck, and welcome aboard - this is a great alt coin.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
shakezula

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 07:02:39 PM

Is each share worth 45K DVC or are these partials? I swear I read a share was 180K coins for this round, I searched back but can't see it. Can someone clarify? Are these quarter-shares?
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 07:06:52 PM

Is each share worth 45K DVC or are these partials? I swear I read a share was 180K coins for this round, I searched back but can't see it. Can someone clarify? Are these quarter-shares?

I don't think anyone knows how much each share for round 25 is worth yet.

Round 24 was 149,500 give or take a few hundred coins.  That was the lowest round so who knows where round 25 is now.  It could be 45,000 coins if we had tons of new writers come on board. 

It would be nice to have an idea how many shares we're looking at for this round.

best_btc

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 07:09:41 PM

I wrote already to BTC-e support to add DVC (again). you all should write them too, let our voices be heard: http://hdbtce.kayako.com/
and also Mtgox:
https://twitter.com/MtGox
https://support.mtgox.com/home

XRP:  rNnou9B7snYUPPQdH9KP4D9JQ7EJXTKN4G
BTC:  1ELy69CQ8u77qYvjgfZBFxcyNNyrtcQFFR
I wrote already to BTC-e, Mtgox support to add DVC (again). you all should write them too, let our voices be heard:
 http://hdbtce.kayako.com/
and also Mtgox:
https://twitter.com/MtGox
https://support.mtgox.com/home
alex0909

Activity: 261

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 07:12:17 PM

Well, each time i encrypt my devcoin wallet i am unable to open the client on my mac...
Already deleted all files and backed up my wallet from my cold storage, it just not working sigh*

I dont know where the problem comes from, it launches but at a point it stops working, like if it cannot open the wallet

Imagine users get that problem and dont have a backup for their wallet file... Happily i do.

I get this error : EXCEPTION: NSt8ios_base7failureE      
CDataStream::read() : end of data      
bitcoin in AppInit()      

I can't duplicate this.  Can you put at least the last 20 or so lines of debug.log at a pastbin site or something, and send me a pm with the link. Also exactly what version of the OS you are running and anything else like settings you have changes from the defaults that may help reproduce it.

i'll try again later, well, it works when i launch the old daemon version first, then i close it and am able to open the new client !
Still manageable ! It fucks up with the encryption i guess!
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 07:13:53 PM

Are your coding skills up to the task of applying the merged-mining patches to a recent copy of bitcoin?

Right now that is probably about the most important coding task for all the merged mined coins, not only DeVCoin, as once it is done all of them will be able to update from it.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
shakezula

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 07:22:09 PM

Round 24 was 149,500 give or take a few hundred coins.  That was the lowest round so who knows where round 25 is now.  It could be 45,000 coins if we had tons of new writers come on board.  

It would be nice to have an idea how many shares we're looking at for this round.

I actually meant round 24, so if i had 40 shares, would I be getting 40x149500? So far i've gotten ~33 payments at 45K each, just wondering how that worked?
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 07:28:21 PM

Round 24 was 149,500 give or take a few hundred coins.  That was the lowest round so who knows where round 25 is now.  It could be 45,000 coins if we had tons of new writers come on board.  

I actually meant round 24, so if i had 40 shares, would I be getting 40x149500? So far i've gotten ~33 payments at 45K each, just wondering how that worked?

Correct, the blocks are 50,000 each but the miners keep 5,000 which is why you're seeing 45K.

You basically get paid all month long until you're all paid off.  It's kinda nice, like a daily paycheck.

Does anybody know about how many shares are in round 25 yet?  Normally there's a tally done with 1,000 blocks to go but we're past that and I haven't seen anything yet.  TIA.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 07:31:59 PM

Are your coding skills up to the task of applying the merged-mining patches to a recent copy of bitcoin?

Right now that is probably about the most important coding task for all the merged mined coins, not only DeVCoin, as once it is done all of them will be able to update from it.

-MarkM-

Mark, devcoin is already being merge-mined so which coin are you talking about or is the alt community looking at getting as many alt coins merge mined.  That would be awesome if possible.

Is it cheaper or easier of a coin is made to merge mine from the get-go?  Is it a lot of coding or something like a few hours?  Some day it's a big deal while other say its not that hard.  Difficult to tell who knows what.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 07:43:36 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2013, 07:59:20 PM by markm

-MarkM-

Mark, devcoin is already being merge-mined so which coin are you talking about or is the alt community looking at getting as many alt coins merge mined.  That would be awesome if possible.

Is it cheaper or easier of a coin is made to merge mine from the get-go?  Is it a lot of coding or something like a few hours?  Some day it's a big deal while other say its not that hard.  Difficult to tell who knows what.

DeVCoin is no different from the other merged mined coins in its need to be updated to latest bitcoin code, for example the new type of database instead of the old BDB database, and the recent attack fix and so on and so on.

ALL the merged mined coins ALL are based on bitcoin-plus-ability-to-be-secondary-chain.

ALL of them thus need a copy of bitcoin with ability to act as a secondary chain added.

Once that exists, all of them can do thier trivial or not so trivial little search-and-replace changes of name, port, reward, whatever, that makes them each different from the others.

As the constant spew of crapcoins shows, it is trivially easy to do the 'make a different name/port/reward/etc coin' part. The hard part is to have a latest bitcoin that can act as a secondary chain. Once that exists, all the trivial change the name change the port change the reward etc is trivial.

So we need that baseline, then ALL the merged mined coins can ALL update to ALL the latest fixes, most of them as easily as all the cut and paste crapcoins are made.

Cut-and-paste of some ancient out of date code merged coin can make a crap merged coin as easily as all the crap scrypt coins are cut and pasted.

There is no latest bitcoin based merged coin to cut and paste to make a new crap merged coin based on latest bitcoin code.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 07:46:23 PM

Mark, devcoin is already being merge-mined so which coin are you talking about

Devcoin is based on old version of Bitcoin, Mark wants same patches to be applied to a new version, so that all mm-alt-coins can be upgraded. This way they'll benefit from development which was done on Bitcoin mainline. Particularly, that will speedup blockchain download, also will eventually reduce disk space requirements (in theory, at least).

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: