Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:57:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058355 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:45:27 PM

No. No. NO!

Sorry, lol. Alexa means absolutely nothing and is ridiculously easy to manipulate. It has no real-world benefit, other than for the lulz.

Does it take more than a few dollars worth of effort to give a domain name with no real traffic a page rank?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:49:16 PM

No. No. NO!

Sorry, lol. Alexa means absolutely nothing and is ridiculously easy to manipulate. It has no real-world benefit, other than for the lulz.

Does it take more than a few dollars worth of effort to give a domain name with no real traffic a page rank?

It takes no more than $0.00 to do it, lol.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:57:07 PM

How much time does it take?

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:03:19 PM

How much time does it take?

Few minutes. I'll pm you.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:06:51 PM

1000000 DVC Howto Bounty:

Howto clone Namecoin

Requirements:
Published on devtome.com
Icoin Genesis Block generated prior to 1. August 2013

https://github.com/icoin/icoin

There is a fundamental problem with namecoin: it isn't possible to implement a thin client which is able to resolve names. It's basically a simple proof-of-concept on top of Bitcoin, namecoin developers did not even try to implement protocol which would allow efficient name resolution...

This makes namecoin pretty much useless, it isn't properly decentralized.

Say, a browser plugin can't be a proper namecoin thin client, it will have to rely on some centralized server.

Which kinda defeats the purpose: you can as well run a private name server without this Namecoin mumbo-jumbo.

Specifically, it won't help to combat censorship: if majority of users will rely on plugins, shutting down few servers will make resolution impossible for the majority of clients.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
ashleysly

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:18:31 PM

So I clicked on the account 25 link and it says there are 0 Devtome earnings.  I added some content yesterday. How soon will the account 25 page update, or how long is the lag between time content is added and time word count from that content shows up as Devtome shares?

It should be updated once the script has been run again. I am sure that http://d.evco.in/charity/devtome_25.csv is the link for the devtome earnings.

And when/how frequently does that happen? 

Lots of noob questions I know...

Yeah the script is done at 12:30 AM UTC, daily. Just ask away!

Earn Devcoins by Writing
Support me build a plane to advertise DVC: 1Mdu9MbAEsUm81NzEPQR7GCkUxbG39pWMy
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 08:23:41 PM

There is a fundamental problem with namecoin: it isn't possible to implement a thin client

I see it as a basis that can be used for various applications shared commonly using the json protocol
which is able to resolve names. It's basically a simple proof-of-concept on top of Bitcoin, namecoin developers did not even try to implement protocol which would allow efficient name resolution...

Name resolution is not the primary target of icoin, the json capability is more interesting. On the other hand when the key structure is unchanged, .chi domains could be registered into the namecoin chain by using icoin in a simple process trough key import and export.

killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:53:24 PM

How does the android bitcoin wallet work? I think bitcoinj does all the mystic voodoo but its very lightweight and as far as I know isn't centralised in any way, maybe namecoin could adapt it?

You need to download last 36000 blocks (IIRC) to resolve names correctly. Of course, it might work now, but it doesn't scale...

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Icoin

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 09:27:06 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 09:59:40 PM by Icoin

How does the android bitcoin wallet work? I think bitcoinj does all the mystic voodoo but its very lightweight and as far as I know isn't centralised in any way, maybe namecoin could adapt it?

You need to download last 36000 blocks (IIRC) to resolve names correctly. Of course, it might work now, but it doesn't scale...

The Android Wallet is not a help for the purpose of the bounty, from a financial perspective - the android app (bitcoinj) could be modified in the same way for any alt-chain, it was allready done for viarous scrypt based chains.

The Icoin chain should be more usable for Voting as example and as a decentralized json capable blockchain in general.

emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:15:08 PM

Howto clone Namecoin

Requirements:
Published on devtome.com
Icoin Genesis Block generated prior 1. August 2013

I cannot get what you want, just a namecoin cloning guide?
besides, what's the relationship with devcoin?

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
ashleysly

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 12:12:15 AM

Howto clone Namecoin

Requirements:
Published on devtome.com
Icoin Genesis Block generated prior 1. August 2013

I cannot get what you want, just a namecoin cloning guide?
besides, what's the relationship with devcoin?

I too wonder what is meant by that. Also there is no distinct relationship between Namecoin and Devcoin. Competition already increases daily due to more Alt-coins being released therefore why do we need more? Especially a cloning guide where having lots more SHA-256 coins might cause even more competition with Devcoin... We need DVC to thrive and not be beaten down by competition.

Earn Devcoins by Writing
Support me build a plane to advertise DVC: 1Mdu9MbAEsUm81NzEPQR7GCkUxbG39pWMy
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 12:14:32 AM

I was trying to implement this, it's not so that difficult, but with a problem, I have no easy way to stop people from spamming the faucet with different subdomains, e.g. one hold example.com would use aa.example.com and bb.example.com pointing to the same site to apply the faucet payment, I have no good way to determine if they are the same site, and one may generate infinite subdomains as long as he own the domain name.

After talking to Ranlo, no easy way to determine the popularity of a site could be found. So you could only pay people for a link on a domain homepage. That is all that is required for the current domain faucet bounty.

Later on if there is more interest, a subdomain faucet bounty would be added for you to make tracking code, or give more money to sites that you manually verify, and then your faucet could also pay for subdomains and/or pay more for popular sites.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 12:20:03 AM

I was trying to implement this, it's not so that difficult, but with a problem, I have no easy way to stop people from spamming the faucet with different subdomains, e.g. one hold example.com would use aa.example.com and bb.example.com pointing to the same site to apply the faucet payment, I have no good way to determine if they are the same site, and one may generate infinite subdomains as long as he own the domain name.

After talking to Ranlo, no easy way to determine the popularity of a site could be found. So you could only pay people for a link on a domain homepage. That is all that is required for the current domain faucet bounty.

Later on if there is more interest, a subdomain faucet bounty would be added for you to make tracking code, or give more money to sites that you manually verify, and then your faucet could also pay for subdomains and/or pay more for popular sites.

I'm going to put some more thought into this as well, and I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:21:23 AM

I have been looking at the <head> metadata </head> for Devtome. For those not familiar with the metadata, on Firefox when looking at your page, click on Tools>Web Developer>Page Source. This shows the html code and hidden metadada between the <head> and </head>. In Internet Explorer it is similar to see Page Source. I think it is View>Page Source IIRC.

This is the partial metadata for Devtome (devtome.com).

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>start - Devtome</title>
<meta name="generator" content="DokuWiki"/>
<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow"/>
<meta name="date" content="2013-06-20T18:05:08-0400"/>
<meta name="keywords" content="start"/>
<link rel="search" type="application/opensearchdescription+xml"

I have left the rest out for brevity. Please note that keywords = the title of your page. So your article title will be what search engine spiders see as keywords (they will also read the page).

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow"/> is the search engine spider code in Devtome.  This tells the spiders not to follow the index to search other pages.

On my websites I have something like this
<meta name="Robots" content="index,follow" /> which means that the search engine spiders will hit the index page and then follow every page that is linked to it.

In addition I add:
<meta name="Revisit-After" content="30 Days" /> This brings the spiders back every 30 days to revisit and link new pages.
<meta name="Distribution" content="World" /> This allows anyone anywhere to find this content.

To improve search engine ranking, I link other websites to a new websites front page (index) so that spiders follow existing established websites and then follow the index on to the rest of the pages.

Submitting a website to Google for search engine ranking takes effect in about five days and greatly increases the pages ranking, assuming the search engines can crawl all the page.
http://www.google.com/submityourcontent/website-owner/

NOTE: I am not 100% sure of all this as Devtome Wiki is using more advanced html than I am familiar with. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am self taught so some errors could be in my understanding of metadata.

1) Keywords are absolutely worthless and has been for quite some time.

2) Distribution and Revisit aren't needed.

3) Actually all of that can be removed from the header, lol. Nothing there will really impact anything.

4) If you add the site to Google's link system like that, you're going to slow down the process.

emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:45:30 AM

OK, got that, will implement this feature if I had time later this month.

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:02:14 AM

It's a lot easier to maintain a fork if you include all the history of the previous coin it was forked from. Without this it's difficult to merge or cherry-pick fixes that are later applied to the original coin. It also makes it hard for auditors to compare your fork vs the original coin to see if any malware or secuity issues were added. To do this now they would have to basically analyse the entire code base from the beginning. If you don't want to provide the entire history of the previous coin then providing the git repository and commit id it was based on is useful.
Icoin

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 11:13:18 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 11:50:09 AM by Icoin

Especially a cloning guide where having lots more SHA-256 coins might cause even more competition with Devcoin... We need DVC to thrive and not be beaten down by competition.
You are totaly right! Let the scrypt based chains compete only.
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=scrypt_altcoin_cloning_guide

The DVC exchange rate is not going down do to other alt chains only. The quantitave easing done to Devcoin in the last time cause it aswell.

Icoin is not about competition, its about decentralized security! All other chains exept namecoin just do what? They basicaly just can be used as a value transport medium. Namecoin and Icoin are more than just that, sooner or later ppl start to realize the value of these json capable chains.

Let me make it clear, this effort is not about competition, its about securing the next development step for realms ...

I assume that most of you guys look at coins just from the financial persepctive, but what i see is JSON, (DNS), SSH, SHA256, MM, and not realy the printed paper i can exchange for it.

Icoin

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 11:19:34 AM

It's a lot easier to maintain a fork if you include all the history of the previous coin it was forked from. Without this it's difficult to merge or cherry-pick fixes that are later applied to the original coin. It also makes it hard for auditors to compare your fork vs the original coin to see if any malware or secuity issues were added. To do this now they would have to basically analyse the entire code base from the beginning. If you don't want to provide the entire history of the previous coin then providing the git repository and commit id it was based on is useful.

Thanks
The original code is from https://github.com/vinced/namecoin.

There was no additions made to the code.
By now Namecoin was changed to Icoin, NC to IC and the ports to 1291/1294

doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:32:30 AM

I'm curious why you don't just use namecoin?
Icoin

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 11:51:06 AM

I'm curious why you don't just use namecoin?

Cause it make no sense to bloat namecoin. Icoin is not about DNS for websites, its for authenthicity of realms and avatars (HG).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: