Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:11:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:14:06 PM

Trying to separate fiction from non-fiction is I think too awkward to attempt, because a large part (or what used once upon a tiem to be a large part, anyway) of Devtome's content directly involves the whole fourth wall and what is considered fiction by who kind of stuff.

Earth is a fictional planet, for example, according to various other planets, most of whom are regarded themselves by most inhabitants of Earth as fictiional...

-MarkM-

Now you're over thinking it Smiley

I like Mark's perspective - keeps me firmly grounded in reality Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 03:14:49 PM

Re over-thinking it:

Not at all. On the contrary, maybe others are under-thinking it. Smiley

A science article that contains false statements of fact is thereby fictional.

Also, writing lies and writing truths both require the same writing skills, it is only the journalistic/research skills or application of those skills that differ.

Given the fictional facts or the nonfictional facts, writing about them is still just writing about them.

So maybe a better distinction would be reporting versus coming up with ideas / facts / topics to report.

So the distinction isn't really in the writing, it is in who you interview or what source material you consult in order to come up with the "facts" (or fictions) that you are to write about.

Also a factual account of what actually happened on a fictional planet, or in the Oz that Dorothy visited, etcetera, is different from a fictional account of what happened there.

A factual account of what happened to Dorothy in Oz is maybe something along the lines of a precis or summary or re-write of what happened to Dorothy in Oz.

A fictional account of what happened to Dorothy in Oz is maybe a new Oz book, a whole new adventure, Dorothy's adventures in Oz being continued or extended by a new author, which only becomes "factual" if it becomes "canon".

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ThinkI

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:16:01 PM

hey man i just read your "earn devcoins by doing things you enjoy" article and it was great! i've had a devtome link in my sig for a while now, but did not know i could get shares from it. Can you explain how i would do this please?

EDIT: i think i figured it out

I'm glad you found it useful, makes it worth the effort.
But really for that link to be worth anything you have to contribute to threads that talk about other coins. Spread the word Smiley

ThinkI

Earn DevCoins by doing stuff you enjoy! Cool
BTC: 1AxYGFDnnw1PUo8TbQ83PCrenjQJBYU41Z | DVC: 1HKK5tswf8mXGsQng5naNEeqY44ZTHD3MY
Is this the best way to mine BitCoin?
dalamar96

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 03:16:12 PM

Re over-thinking it:

Also, writing lies and writing truths both require the same writing skills, it is only the journalistic skills or applicion of those skills that differ.

Given the fictional facts or the nonfictional facts, writing about them is still just writing about them.

So maybe a better distinction would be reporting versus coming up with ideas / facts / topics to report.

So the distinction isn't really in the writing, it is in who you interview or what source material you consult in order to come up with the "facts" (or fictions) that you are to write about.

-MarkM-

Still over thinking it Smiley :-p

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
DVC:   1ARHF6HmFL87Rw29qZi1x5TGTDzFDQxMFH
BTC:   19w38CCB8YaxmJHkNH8gMjZYjw64SkQCcM
DODG: DNzDJTJrPEsSYpDGmD2iCFUfK8iJjeqm7C
ThinkI

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:19:36 PM

Re over-thinking it:

Also, writing lies and writing truths both require the same writing skills, it is only the journalistic/research skills or application of those skills that differ.

-MarkM-

On that analysis most of the scientific knowledge of mankind is fiction. Very useful fiction, but fiction all the same.
In any case, if its going to cause problems then, lets stick to writing and skip the Fiction/Non-fiction distinction.

ThinkI

BTC: 1AxYGFDnnw1PUo8TbQ83PCrenjQJBYU41Z | DVC: 1HKK5tswf8mXGsQng5naNEeqY44ZTHD3MY
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 03:21:59 PM

I have created categories for Free Open Source and for Proprietary, that seems a more useful distinction.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 03:25:30 PM

On that analysis most of the scientific knowledge of mankind is fiction. Very useful fiction, but fiction all the same.
In any case, if its going to cause problems then, lets stick to writing and skip the Fiction/Non-fiction distinction.

A lot of the writing about it though is factual accounts of what scientists did and said.

Or purportedly at least approximately factual, anyway. Newton's purported apple might be a myth or legend but that he came up with a theory about gravity seems likely to be true. Unless he stole someone else's idea...

So maybe you start to see why fact versus fiction is a can of worms we might be better off not getting into.

-MarkM-

ThinkI

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:51:28 PM

I have created categories for Free Open Source and for Proprietary, that seems a more useful distinction.

-MarkM-

Good move.

ThinkI

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:53:02 PM

I see that there is a current user on Devtome that is doing League of Legends guides.
I am not like this person, his guides are copied and pasted over and over with very little actual information or depth.

I do not like it at all that he is taking advantage of devtome and i assure you my guides will be quality, lengthy, and very in depth.

I want to help people become better players, not take advantage of devtome. I really suggest removing that toxic user and his so-called "guides".

Anybody can use copy and paste.
I was thinking of doing guides as well... Is his work really plagiarized?
-AM

they arent exactly "plagiarized, however, he seems to copy and paste his same guide with different pictures relative to the champion.
here are some examples
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=jayce_top_guide
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=orianna_middle_guide
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=fiddlesticks_jungle_guide

i cant find any more on the main page and i am still new so i cant navigate very well. However, in the vast majority of his guides there is basically the skills, and some flavor text.
for example, in every "mid" guide he posts you can find these 2 lines EXACTLY
Flash: Is ok. You can also tweak it with ghost if you want.
Ignite: Standard boost/finish for AP mages. You better take at least one ignite per team the healing reduction is so useful.

you will find that EXACT text for every mid guide, with a little info on each skill. Its disgusting.

This is what I hate.. ppl trying to game the system.. prob for thousands $ u think this guy wouldnt be dumping his dvc at market?
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 04:11:40 PM

I see that there is a current user on Devtome that is doing League of Legends guides.
I am not like this person, his guides are copied and pasted over and over with very little actual information or depth.

I do not like it at all that he is taking advantage of devtome and i assure you my guides will be quality, lengthy, and very in depth.

I want to help people become better players, not take advantage of devtome. I really suggest removing that toxic user and his so-called "guides".

-AM

they arent exactly "plagiarized, however, he seems to copy and paste his same guide with different pictures relative to the champion.
here are some examples

i cant find any more on the main page and i am still new so i cant navigate very well. However, in the vast majority of his guides there is basically the skills, and some flavor text.
Ignite: Standard boost/finish for AP mages. You better take at least one ignite per team the healing reduction is so useful.

you will find that EXACT text for every mid guide, with a little info on each skill. Its disgusting.

This is what I hate.. ppl trying to game the system.. prob for thousands $ u think this guy wouldnt be dumping his dvc at market?

Agreed, there are others doing it too...

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
bit-fxtrader

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:22:42 PM

I know it's safe but my issue is with stopping eset from quarantining it. Even if I turn it off it will still flag it later on scan. How can I whitelist it?

Tried your link too, got flagged on download.
I don't know, but like a lot of new software until it's more ubiquitous AV's may flag it. I didn't receive any quarantine msg but think I did initially have to permit it to run (same with some other clients) until I guess enough users of my AV were also running the .exe. I don't use eset but would assume there's an excluded processes section or similar which gives you an override option. edit: http://www.eset.sg/html/171/779

would the live ubuntu cd process described below work with the devcoin client

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17240.0
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:49:30 PM

-AM

here are some examples

Please eloborate.. youve said this twice now with no proof... is it you Smiley
howzar

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:13:21 PM

what creates a rise in price is scarcity. Demand over supply. I see the case for it as more and more ppl are writing the % of those selling ppl who earn falls and creates an incentive for price to rise. As more stuff gets published real value is applied to the project and you see a recipe for growth. When people start getting involved in the bounties as price is rising or is stable you can see how it would blossom. Its wishful thinking probably but
I see that the fact that the 80k word dumpers we have recently will not have so much selling power as time goes on.

If writers drop off then price would probably follow.
weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:14:31 PM

here are some examples

On those guides:
1) It's certainly a template, but that doesn't make it plagiarism.
2) This writer has been completely open about what he's doing and asking whether repetition or template is allowed for the purpose of explanations - finding the best way to do it is ongoing.
3) The plan was to have a top-page and series of sub pages with references to avoid duplication.
4) I haven't had time to revist this recently due to other issues and pure plagiarism in other articles, but will do.
cexylikepie

Activity: 779

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:01:50 PM

here are some examples

On those guides:
1) It's certainly a template, but that doesn't make it plagiarism.
2) This writer has been completely open about what he's doing and asking whether repetition or template is allowed for the purpose of explanations - finding the best way to do it is ongoing.
3) The plan was to have a top-page and series of sub pages with references to avoid duplication.
4) I haven't had time to revist this recently due to other issues and pure plagiarism in other articles, but will do.

thank you for addressing my concerns!
i am just worried that people are taking advantage of devcoin.
weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:08:53 PM

thank you for addressing my concerns!
i am just worried that people are taking advantage of devcoin.
Cheers for highlighting concerns. The more people that do this the better for everyone.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:09:54 PM

what creates a rise in price is scarcity. Demand over supply. I see the case for it as more and more ppl are writing the % of those selling ppl who earn falls and creates an incentive for price to rise. As more stuff gets published real value is applied to the project and you see a recipe for growth. When people start getting involved in the bounties as price is rising or is stable you can see how it would blossom. Its wishful thinking probably but
I see that the fact that the 80k word dumpers we have recently will not have so much selling power as time goes on.

If writers drop off then price would probably follow.

Yes right now demand outstrips supply regardless of devtome because of volume in exchanges but it would be better if there were more writers providing quality content.. one way to ensure quality content is what markm said about writing what had been requested by someone else. This way they get paid for writing stuff someone wants to read and is willing to pay small fee for. This will drive reading traffic and this ad revenue. The end goal is for devtome to not only sustain itself financially but give back by providing profits from ads and buy dvc at market with that profit.
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 06:19:33 PM

-AM

here are some examples

Please eloborate.. youve said this twice now with no proof... is it you Smiley

I have brought one up to UTB, but haven't heard anything yet. I am not going to post it on a public board though. And no it isn't me Smiley

smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:26:42 PM

I am using the latest sourceforge wallet version, and the tx does not show up on the blockchain.

My balance is right except for the transaction which took away 10 mil.

Any suggestions?
Is something wrong with your system time? '1/2/2014' doesn't make sense whatever way round you look at it, if you're saying it's been 3 days.

Bitcoin-qt's limit is 3 days of no confirms before it goes back into your spendable balance. It has been 21 days.  (I'm in the US, we write dates funny, right?  Smiley)
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:28:12 PM

That rescan IS a running again of the client.

It IS the client. So don't run another copy of the client after doing it with -rescan, just continue along with the copy that you started with the -rescan.

(Otr, kill that oen first if you do want to start another such as if you don't want to tie up a text terminal/window for it to stay running in.)

Also, kill the existing copy before running a copy with the -rescan, two copies both trying to access the same data directory is not good.

-MarkM-

Ok, thanks!
Pages: « 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: