Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:50:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058389 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
kendido

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 01:30:30 PM

Whoever created this video did a very good job !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8ZudP81w0

I quite agree. The video gives in quite an entertaining way what Devcoin stands for.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kendido

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:10:57 PM

Earning Devcoins by writing wiki articles is a good idea. But if no of the contacted admins are responding to my pms to setup an account for me, it is not possible to write anything. You guys should find a new and easier way to allow people adding articles to the wiki.
I have personally probably signed up about 60 people in the last 2 months... been getting a LOT of requests.  There are a lot of new users and it will take some time for all emails to be processed.  I should also say that cryptocurrencies are not the sole thing people tend to do.  I myself hold down another 3 jobs (1 normal 9-5) and I try to come on the forum every day or every other day, but life does throw a spanner in the works every now and again.

If you still have heard nothing in a week then why not try sending a PM again and send it to me as well and I can sign you up.

Fuzzybear

YES. Fuzzybear has been really helpful. However, there is one thing I still don't know: How do I insert image(s) into a piece of work, be it article or poetry?
ProgLord

Activity: 48

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 02:34:45 PM

In the past 2 weeks, DVC isn't doing good.  Too bad I really like that coin...
Whoisthelorax

Activity: 370
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:22:33 PM

Another animation/infographic. Credit to marticps who did a big chunk of it and let me have a go at continuing what he started. Original voiceover plans haven’t come together and I’m out of spare time, so edited like this instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8ZudP81w0

I like it a lot, weisoq. Great job!

I am encouraging people to discuss the prospects of a devcoin bounty site where projects that require outside help can be posted for possible collaboration. If enough people like and support your video, I bet we can raise 50k-100k of devcoins to pay someone with a solid voice a bounty to read a good script over your video.

See here http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=a_couple_of_ideas_regarding_devcoin_culture_and_acceptance_into_the_creative_space for more details on that idea.
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:42:04 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2014, 06:54:31 PM by weisoq

Well done, really good job!

I don't know if there could be a better choice in music though, it's a bit...space cadet. Drums are in right now.
Music wasn’t original plan. I knew tastes would vary whatever I picked so just went with something creative commons and electro that I came across before (space cadet may be fair, didn't think of it that way). But honestly it’s taken too much time, inc then reediting/syncing with music once that was the only option, to start over now.

Marticps: I just wanted to finish what we started. Not quite achieved and obviously first attempt at this stuff, but I didn’t do it to credit myself.

Lorax: Nice idea but that would require going backwards with video & frame editing because scripted animations need to start with a script. Like I said I’ve spent a lot of free time for a while on it and need a break. Even getting an okish version onto youtube was a real hassle. So maybe revisit later. I tried doing voiceover myself but combination of crappy tech and probably my English accent sounded awful.

kendido: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_how_to_post_an_image    Also, when submitting writings you need to do that on the page you create for it and save it, then add that article to your page (not direct into a category page). Otherwise you won't be credited for them and text will be deleted as part of other pages. Have a read through the how-to guides and pm me if not getting it.

EDIT: To ask again, could writers please add their new articles to the 'Most Recent' section on the front page (or appropriate category - but this isn;t required) when submitting. It saves a lot of time and is pretty fundamental to making it work. I know some don't give a sh!t (you know who you are) but to those that do it would be appreciated and sort of underlines that your writings mean more than just a countdown to payout while articles are lost in the devtome ether.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:08:55 PM

In the past 2 weeks, DVC isn't doing good.  Too bad I really like that coin...

In the past few months we've seen multiple pump n dump coins come and go... we've realized they almost all have the quick mining and then low block rate forever approach until max supply to try to create maximum profit... but not really thinking about what parameters are "good" for a coin to survive longterm. I think people are starting to finally realize that instead of a max supply in short numbers, the coin to survive will be the one with unlimited coins but stable inflation...debasement is key to a currencies survival long term in an economy. Some people like Anonnymint are aruguing that this is the way of the future for crypto's...and as a result you see ethereum which is claiming to be the "next" coin has unlimited coin inflation... I think the coin that does everything already exists, just people don't realize it yet. Devcoin... the good thing is we leverage mining for bitcoin and give 90% of coins to useful work something whcih no other coin can do because they can't start the merge-mining process with bitcoin at this point... with asics Devcoin has the unique market advantage of offering the  parameters of a coin that will survive as well as providing benefits like allowing people t work for devcoin via the share system...

Unless POS coins come to do the same, there is really no risk of a competitor for devcoin which is why I think its one of the unique ones that may be able to fit our economic landscape like a glove. However POS coins have not been proven yet.
notabot

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:42:39 PM

YES. Fuzzybear has been really helpful. However, there is one thing I still don't know: How do I insert image(s) into a piece of work, be it article or poetry?

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_how_to_post_an_image

Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:09:08 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 01:45:20 AM by Hunterbunter

Well done, really good job!

I don't know if there could be a better choice in music though, it's a bit...space cadet. Drums are in right now.
Music wasn’t original plan. I knew tastes would vary whatever I picked so just went with something creative commons and electro that I came across before (space cadet may be fair, didn't think of it that way). But honestly it’s taken too much time, inc then reediting/syncing with music once that was the only option, to start over now.

That's fine, I watched it again and I actually liked the music. The video itself is a great effort, and something I'll happily spam around.

In the past 2 weeks, DVC isn't doing good.  Too bad I really like that coin...

In the past few months we've seen multiple pump n dump coins come and go... we've realized they almost all have the quick mining and then low block rate forever approach until max supply to try to create maximum profit... but not really thinking about what parameters are "good" for a coin to survive longterm. I think people are starting to finally realize that instead of a max supply in short numbers, the coin to survive will be the one with unlimited coins but stable inflation...debasement is key to a currencies survival long term in an economy. Some people like Anonnymint are aruguing that this is the way of the future for crypto's...and as a result you see ethereum which is claiming to be the "next" coin has unlimited coin inflation... I think the coin that does everything already exists, just people don't realize it yet. Devcoin... the good thing is we leverage mining for bitcoin and give 90% of coins to useful work something whcih no other coin can do because they can't start the merge-mining process with bitcoin at this point... with asics Devcoin has the unique market advantage of offering the  parameters of a coin that will survive as well as providing benefits like allowing people t work for devcoin via the share system...

Unless POS coins come to do the same, there is really no risk of a competitor for devcoin which is why I think its one of the unique ones that may be able to fit our economic landscape like a glove. However POS coins have not been proven yet.

yep, I completely agree with your observations here. The key with debasement and attractiveness in a trade currency is not solely what you can get with your money, but also how easy it is to earn more. People naturally go through bursts of saving or spending, and if too many people save at once, we get recessions and depressions and so on. People also like seeing their bank account grow, even if the purchasing power of the total account value remains the same...that's why so many people have put up with fiat for so long. I made a long post about this on the devtalk thread, for others who are interested: http://coinzen.org/index.php/topic,147.msg4694.html#msg4694

Devcoins already tick all the boxes for a useable trade currency, and all it needs is maybe a slight redefinition of target market. Devcoins have to stand on their own to survive, and we can make that happen by bringing in creative-types to the crypto world. A completely new market. I don't know how the founders would feel about this, but I'd like to hear their perspective (UTB?).

One thing I particularly liked about weisoq's new video is that he points out that all creative types are welcome - developers, artists, musicians, writers, and all for releasing stuff for the public to use for free, and this coin is helping people do that. It's basically impossible to have open source music, writing, and art in the way we can have open source code, but all it requires is a tweak in focus to realize the end goal is the same - free stuff in the public domain that people can use to make a profit.
weisoq

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:45:59 AM

yep, I completely agree with your observations here. The key with debasement and attractiveness in a trade currency is not solely what you can get with your money, but also how easy it is to earn more. People naturally go through bursts of saving or spending, and if too many people save at once, we get recessions and depressions and so on. People also like seeing their bank account grow, even if the purchasing power of the total account value remains the same...that's why so many people have put up with fiat for so long. I made a long post about this on the devtalk thread, for others who are interested: http://coinzen.org/index.php/topic,147.msg4694.html#msg4694

Devcoins already tick all the boxes for a useable trade currency, and all it needs is maybe a slight redefinition of target market. Devcoins have to stand on their own to survive, and we can make that happen by bringing in creative-types to the crypto world. A completely new market. I don't know how the founders would feel about this, but I'd like to hear their perspective (UTB?).

One thing I particularly liked about weisoq's new video is that he points out that all creative types are welcome - developers, artists, musicians, writers, and all for releasing stuff for the public to use for free, and this coin is helping people do that. It's basically impossible to have open source music, writing, and art in the way we can have open source code, but all it requires is a tweak in focus to realize the end goal is the same - free stuff in the public domain that people can use to make a profit.
Thanks for the video comments (and from others).

The music, art aspect - yeah this originated from mid-last year when there was more talk about incorporating other forms. I agree true ‘open-source’ is a challenge, but I think much of the issue seems to come down to an existing conflict in the open source world of free vs open source. There are even different (stupidly different in my opinion) organisations with a separate focus. My own view is that releasing art for free, if it’s also free to change, is still better than not, if there's a sustainable model and interest to support it. But this is difficult to vet and perhaps even harder to assess objectively – e.g. what exactly is the different between sound and music, or scribbles and art; and who gets to decide that. And then perhaps ‘music’ or ‘art’ in the context of malleability is actually less valuable to to others than sound and scribbles etc...

Anyway, that’s why they’re still in the video - because I think greater inclusion, collaboration and community should be the longer term goal. Lyrics and scripts and a few photos to date, hopefully more in the future.

On the currency issue, I agree and have been saying this trend towards perpetuity would happen for a while. I don’t know what the future winning cryptos will be, but I’m pretty certain they’ll be unlimited. And by 'winning' I mean ubiquity not necessarily price. What people seem to miss is that trade requires two parties. To imagine a credit-free crypto world is stupid, and the rising real rates side of credit transactions in a deflationary asset will not be attractive when there are other options. Also to become a global reserve currency (not stating this of Bitcoin or Devcoin, just making a point) requires a position of net currency export or running a trade deficit – i.e. others need to be able to easily get hold of it, not just want it or store it.

The analogy doesn’t fully translate to cryptos except that it’s fundamental that cryptos, Devcoin get out there to as many people as possible. This is the mistake some other currencies are making - it’s very attractive to sit on savings gambling on the network effect and better timing than others, but the ‘deflation’ advantage is a mirage if others get tired of difficulties acquiring it or waiting for lower prices. This is my main reason for grumbling about devtome distribution sometimes and why I think other art forms are important for purpose and for sustainability. Maintaining an overly concentrated distribution may seem good for those getting coins, but if it’s not addressed then it’s just a punt on when everyone else gets bored of waiting and moves onto something else.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 12:08:23 PM

Just in case any ASCMDVCPT holders had not seen the update https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=196217.msg5383227#msg5383227

Its looking more and more like I will just ask Kumula to shut the listing down once I have bought out all the share holders. 

I am depositing more DVC to place enough buy orders

Fuzzybear

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 12:42:23 PM

The music, art aspect - yeah this originated from mid-last year ....

It originated and seemed settled, yet here it is again. Not only here but on the new forum as well. Coincidence?

It would be one of my three wishes that literature and art could fall under Open Source yet they do not. Full stop.

It is being suggested yet again that we take Devcoin, the supposedly ethical coin, and change the concept of supporting open source developers? That sounds very unethical to me. It is my feeling that other open source developers would feel the same being drawn here under false pretenses.

If one likes the concept of Devcoin and would like to support the Creative Common license in the same way then create Commoncoin instead of trying to undermining Devcoin.

There is nothing to stop folks from putting out bounties for graphics and music contributions under Public Domain and Creative Commons licenses to add to their Open Source projects. Like a game for example. They could be rewarded in DVC. Life is wonderful. But Devcoin was put in place to support Open Source developers. You know those programmers like MarkM that made the coin a reality in the first place? Now that it exists those practicing in arts that cannot even fall under Open Source want to redirect it? If that is not unethical it is hard to say what is.

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
weisoq

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:07:04 PM

It originated and seemed settled, yet here it is again. Not only here but on the new forum as well. Coincidence?

It would be one of my three wishes that literature and art could fall under Open Source yet they do not. Full stop.

It is being suggested yet again that we take Devcoin, the supposedly ethical coin, and change the concept of supporting open source developers? That sounds very unethical to me. It is my feeling that other open source developers would feel the same being drawn here under false pretenses.

If one likes the concept of Devcoin and would like to support the Creative Common license in the same way then create Commoncoin instead of trying to undermining Devcoin.

There is nothing to stop folks from putting out bounties for graphics and music contributions under Public Domain and Creative Commons licenses to add to their Open Source projects. Like a game for example. They could be rewarded in DVC. Life is wonderful. But Devcoin was put in place to support Open Source developers. You know those programmers like MarkM that made the coin a reality in the first place? Now that it exists those practicing in arts that cannot even fall under Open Source want to redirect it? If that is not unethical it is hard to say what is.

- Nova
I replied to your post on coinzen. Your comments are a bit harsh and if you'd followed my opinion on this issue for a while I don't think you'd aim them at me. I'm not going to bother copying and pasting, but I'm not suggesting anything yet again - I'm questioning the remit of CC as it already exists for devtome and the bulk of devcoin distribution, and contrary considerations for other arts that seem to be justified when a strict open-source requirement is applied.

My entire reason to be here and interest in Devcoin is 'to support open source developers'. Any 'coincidence' is only because I am actually bothered that Devcoin moves forward with that aim, rather than persuing interests in maintaining a system that pays out to a self-selected verbose subset. You're directing such views and claims of unethical at the wrong person when I've been basically making the same argument forever.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 02:25:09 PM

ASCMDVCPT Important update

Fuzzybear

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Papacrusher

Activity: 218
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:18:09 PM

The music, art aspect - yeah this originated from mid-last year ....

- Nova

"Devcoin is an ethically inspired cryptocurrency created in 2011 to support open source projects by programmers, hardware developers, writers, musicians, painters, graphic artists and filmmakers worldwide."

This direct quote from the official Devcoin website can be seen as "unethically"misleading then.  I'm not disagreeing with Nova on this, just pointing out that some people may see this as mixed signals of what the website says and what the forum decisions are.  I love and appreciate the chance, as a writer, to be involved with DVC and I'm here for the long haul regardless of the direction it takes, but if it's not going to include artists and musicians, then it should clearly say that and not draw these people under false pretenses as well.

Papa

jdbtracker

Activity: 727

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:47:54 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 07:27:03 PM by jdbtracker

Some form of Demurrage or a Devcoin tax could help move the currency in a controlled manner, by distributing a specific percentage in a predetermined way For example, everyone giving 5% of their earning or like in demurrage a fixed schedule of depreciation going towards a decentralized market. it could help ameliorate the problem of lost coins in a fixed quantity currency.

It could be made within the Devcoin client, a p2p market, where your coins join the pool of  Devcoin account holders in distributing the coins to exchanges, or faucets, or even much needed projects, basically, I'm thinking of adding concensus driven government inside the client to manage the growth of the currency. we make the choices on where to distribute the funds collectively, with our combined purchasing power we could open up new markets for Devcoin.

Maybe even start making automation rules for the currency to react in a specific way to changes in the network, we would have to figure out how to transfer into other currencies probably through OT, simply signing a transaction record on the OT server into the Devcoin blochain on a transaction can give us p2p exchange capability. All the customer has to do is download the OT contract, redeem it at a local Devcoin exchanger, sign the transaction when receiving the funds and walla, p2p exchange.

I suddenly realized it could be easier than we think to create  a distributed exchange when using OT and simply creating verifiable in the blockchain OT receipts. We could even build OT into Devcoin! for not just money transfers but for deeds, and property rights.

We can have a product that no other crypto currency has yet... simplicity, ease of use , accesibility, and extreme flexibility, I think we can create a craigs list exchange market on the Devcoin blockchain using OT.

Their is a ancient system called Hawala, that is very similar to this, an informal payment system, it could be funny to apply a similar system for blockchain property rights. They do it with phones and if you have the right code they give you the money, how hard can it be to buy goods over the blockchain? List your stereo, mark it's serial number hash in the purchase transaction to escrow, pick up day comes, the person with the receiving code unlocks the escrow transaction, transaction is made with OT receipt both parties have a permanent receipt with property rights contract transferred into the blockchain.

I can see myself purchasing something quickly over a Blockchain based marketplace, buying it online for friends and family to receive, near or far, from the comfort of my cell phone, assured that only their signature can unlock the purchase transaction, pre-paid goods over the blockchain. I figured it's not that hard when you realize all a Blockchain is, is a shared synchronized database.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
diedicar

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:03:46 PM

is there a thread or article on th economics of devcoin? the more Ithink about it, the more it seems me a solid investment. Smiley
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:03:06 PM

Some form of Demurrage or a Devcoin tax could help move the currency in a controlled manner, by distributing a specific percentage in a predetermined way For example, everyone giving 5% of their earning or like in demurrage a fixed schedule of depreciation going towards a decentralized market. it could help ameliorate the problem of lost coins in a fixed quantity currency.

It could be made within the Devcoin client, a p2p market, where your coins join the pool of  Devcoin account holders in distributing the coins to exchanges, or faucets, or even much needed projects, basically, I'm thinking of adding concensus driven government inside the client to manage the growth of the currency. we make the choices on where to distribute the funds collectively, with our combined purchasing power we could open up new markets for Devcoin.

Maybe even start making automation rules for the currency to react in a specific way to changes in the network, we would have to figure out how to transfer into other currencies probably through OT, simply signing a transaction record on the OT server into the Devcoin blochain on a transaction can give us p2p exchange capability. All the customer has to do is download the OT contract, redeem it at a local Devcoin exchanger, sign the transaction when receiving the funds and walla, p2p exchange.

I suddenly realized it could be easier than we think to create  a distributed exchange when using OT and simply creating verifiable in the blockchain OT receipts. We could even build OT into Devcoin! for not just money transfers but for deeds, and property rights.

We can have a product that no other crypto currency has yet... simplicity, ease of use , accesibility, and extreme flexibility, I think we can create a craigs list exchange market on the Devcoin blockchain using OT.

Their is a ancient system called Hawala, that is very similar to this, an informal payment system, it could be funny to apply a similar system for blockchain property rights. They do it with phones and if you have the right code they give you the money, how hard can it be to buy goods over the blockchain? List your stereo, mark it's serial number hash in the purchase transaction to escrow, pick up day comes, the person with the receiving code unlocks the escrow transaction, transaction is made with OT receipt both parties have a permanent receipt with property rights contract transferred into the blockchain.

I can see myself purchasing something quickly over a Blockchain based marketplace, buying it online for friends and family to receive, near or far, from the comfort of my cell phone, assured that only their signature can unlock the purchase transaction, pre-paid goods over the blockchain. I figured it's not that hard when you realize all a Blockchain is, is a shared synchronized database.

Yes there was a simple site does this escrow service Ill see if I can find it.. i like the idea.
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 12:53:48 AM

Developers wanted for glaricoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=465311

Merged Mining capability
Charity Function (11%)

The coin is build on ABCcoin described here: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=sha256_altcoin_cloning_guide&s[]=clone

To make it avalable to all comunity the procedure for both functions should be documented on devtome.

Thank you

weisoq

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:23:50 AM

Merged Mining capability
Charity Function (11%)

The coin is build on ABCcoin described here: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=sha256_altcoin_cloning_guide&s[]=clone

To make it avalable to all comunity the procedure for both functions should be documented on devtome.

Thank you
Seems pointless https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=415705.msg4511087#msg4511087
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 11:51:25 AM

Merged Mining capability
Charity Function (11%)

Thank you
Seems pointless https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=415705.msg4511087#msg4511087

Not realy, orgcoin is not switzerland related like glaricoin is, but download the glaricoin-qt client and you will understand Smiley Anyway we got the offer from unthinkingbit that every developer that furfills one of the above tasks, will be supported as developer by devcoin.

Unthinkingbit please confirm.

Pages: « 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: