Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:14:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
develCuy

Activity: 470
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2020, 05:27:44 AM

My server that was known as dvcstable01.dvcnode.org is still running and is also known as LFM.knotwork.com, and still runs all the many and various coins it has been running all along.

Existing nodes should work as they will have it in their peers lists, some coins let you add peers while they are running others need them on the command-line when you start them or in their config file if you use the config files.

-MarkM-

Thanks for that Mark! We have got from you a full new year of the main seed node available for old Devcoin wallets!

Everybody, still I recommend you to upgrade to Devcoin 0.8.7 for better network resilience!

- develCuy

Join Devcoin: Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, Keybase  | The Devcoin Project - from the many, one. From one, the source

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2020, 12:08:51 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2020, 12:20:59 PM by FuzzyBear

My server that was known as dvcstable01.dvcnode.org is still running and is also known as LFM.knotwork.com, and still runs all the many and various coins it has been running all along.

Existing nodes should work as they will have it in their peers lists, some coins let you add peers while they are running others need them on the command-line when you start them or in their config file if you use the config files.

-MarkM-

Thanks for that Mark! We have got from you a full new year of the main seed node available for old Devcoin wallets!

Everybody, still I recommend you to upgrade to Devcoin 0.8.7 for better network resilience!

- develCuy

Quite simply anyone not on linux CAN'T... no windows binaries, no mac binaries..... sorry to reiterate the point but develCuy by doing this release u have effectively made dvc inaccessible for many people. This will send people away, this will make people loose interest and get frustrated as I am now with the coin.  All this also after u have funnelled all the funds from every block into The OpenSource Fund (OpenSourceFund) and pushing people away from this coin like the lead dev a while ago whilst you implemented The OpenSource Fund (OpenSourceFund).  You have pushed forward without consulting anyone else in the community about the new release and just given a deadline to upgrade clients.

If you do not find someone to produce you binaries for windows and mac I am failing to see what you are bringing other than chaos and dvc siphoning off to this long term project and I would suggest to the community to vote and have you removed from any admin roles in dvc.

What is the current block height?
What is the upgrade rate of peers on the network?
What is a working block explorer to examine the health of the network (that is NOT hosting expired)?
What was the purpose to upgrade to the new client.. what was fixed / changed? any changelog?
Where are the binaries for mac and Windows?
Who has control of the OpenSourceFund wallet that is getting all the dvc shares? 1KKZGDL56sHrZefZWw2p61x1z3qzyNAUDJ (there is over 200 million dvc in there now) that now more than my holdings and I have been here since 2012 earning little bits slowly over time...
Have the details of the client upgrade been posted to https://www.devcoin.org/ and new binaries uploaded?

If you can not answer these questions and provide users with all they need to upgrade then the upgrade should not have happened.
IMPORTANT: If you are the sole holder to the wallet address mentioned in the last point then I feel we have been scammed as a community by develCuy and I really dont know what to do as that a lot of dvc just waiting to be dumped on the market if it ever rises to have a value.

Fuzzybear

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
develCuy

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2020, 01:37:47 PM

Quite simply anyone not on linux CAN'T... no windows binaries, no mac binaries..... sorry to reiterate the point but develCuy by doing this release u have effectively made dvc inaccessible for many people. This will send people away, this will make people loose interest and get frustrated as I am now with the coin.  All this also after u have funnelled all the funds from every block into The OpenSource Fund (OpenSourceFund) and pushing people away from this coin like the lead dev a while ago whilst you implemented The OpenSource Fund (OpenSourceFund).  You have pushed forward without consulting anyone else in the community about the new release and just given a deadline to upgrade clients.

If you do not find someone to produce you binaries for windows and mac I am failing to see what you are bringing other than chaos and dvc siphoning off to this long term project and I would suggest to the community to vote and have you removed from any admin roles in dvc.

What is a working block explorer to examine the health of the network (that is NOT hosting expired)?
What was the purpose to upgrade to the new client.. what was fixed / changed? any changelog?
Who has control of the OpenSourceFund wallet that is getting all the dvc shares? 1KKZGDL56sHrZefZWw2p61x1z3qzyNAUDJ (there is over 200 million dvc in there now) that now more than my holdings and I have been here since 2012 earning little bits slowly over time...
Have the details of the client upgrade been posted to https://www.devcoin.org/ and new binaries uploaded?

If you can not answer these questions and provide users with all they need to upgrade then the upgrade should not have happened.
IMPORTANT: If you are the sole holder to the wallet address mentioned in the last point then I feel we have been scammed as a community by develCuy and I really dont know what to do as that a lot of dvc just waiting to be dumped on the market if it ever rises to have a value.

Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear,

I'm so much disappointed by your attitude. I understand that you have your disagreements with my decisions and I understand that you don't trust me. But, calling me a scammer is something I can't tolerate. You are defaming me because you think that I MIGHT do something! Do you realize that you can think what you think because I publicly reported what I'm doing? I'm transparent with my decisions because that is the right thing to do, not for being defamed by people like you!

What are you up to? You must publicly apologize for your false accusations!

- develCuy

P.S: "After the battle, everybody is a general"

Join Devcoin: Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, Keybase  | The Devcoin Project - from the many, one. From one, the source
develCuy

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2020, 03:27:24 PM

I managed to revisit the seed nodes feature of Devcoin network. Seed nodes are very important because the very first time a devcoin wallet tries to sync with the blockchain, it has to connect to the hardcoded devcoin nodes, in order to get the "seed" of the blockchain or genesis block. Also, seed nodes should be available 24/7. I believe that file custodian servers and seed nodes are equally important so they should receive equal compensation. Currently the reward is 2/5 of an ongoing share for running a seed node. I'm upgrading it to 1 ongoing share starting from round 107.

In addition to the previous, Traxo has kindly offered his server as a seed node. We only have two seed nodes according to devtome: https://www.devtome.com/devcoin_human_resources but the source code requires four seed nodes for better network resilience.

Finally, for the record, this is the new ongoing shares distribution for seed nodes starting from round 107:

- Mark, 1 ongoing share. It was set to 2/5 shares as of round 106, but 1/5 shares according to: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg2128556#msg2128556
- Emfox, 1 ongoing share. It was set to 2/5 shares as of round 106, but 1/5 shares according to: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg1938014#msg1938014
- Traxo 1 ongoing share (new)

Go go Devcoin!

- develCuy

FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2020, 06:22:44 PM

Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear,

I'm so much disappointed by your attitude. I understand that you have your disagreements with my decisions and I understand that you don't trust me. But, calling me a scammer is something I can't tolerate. You are defaming me because you think that I MIGHT do something! Do you realize that you can think what you think because I publicly reported what I'm doing? I'm transparent with my decisions because that is the right thing to do, not for being defamed by people like you!

What are you up to? You must publicly apologize for your false accusations!

- develCuy

P.S: "After the battle, everybody is a general"

I accuse you as you have broken the windows builds for user with no thought about how this will affect users and the coin.

I look back on your actions and i still stand by all my questions which you answer none. These are actions you HAVE DONE so it is not speculation on what you might do.

Seriously just answer my questions and clear the concerns...
over dvc funnelled into an account only you control or not?
Binaries that are non existent for windows and mac and how progress is being made to rectify this?

why would u ask for an apology without actually answering the clear and fair questions that have been asked.  You show the signs of someone trying to divert the conversation away from the accusations by not answering them.... this is something that scammers and fraudsters do when put on the spot. I said the community has possibly been scammed...maybe scammer is the wrong word as it implies pre-meditated thoughts and plans to achieve the end goal... right now you are clearly acting incompetent and solely in your own interests and it is damaging the network and coin. Why would i not speak out?

Fuzzybear

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Apocalipsa

Activity: 261
Merit: 305

View Profile
May 23, 2020, 06:47:22 PM

Sounds like you guys need a new lead dev.  I can submit my impressive resume if needed.  But I can only guarantee a 1,000x increase in the price of dvc.  Let me know as my calendar is packed. 
develCuy

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2020, 03:28:01 AM

-MarkM-

Thanks for the clarification Mark! It means that we have a workaround solution for old wallets that depend on your expiring dvcnode.org domain name. Both the command line and devcoin.conf allow to add known seed nodes other than the hardcoded (your old subdomains dvcstable01, dvcstable02, dvcstable03, ...). Long history short, instructions:

- In the command line, add the params -seednode=hostname to devcoind comand (typically for devcoind instances). For example:

Code:
$ devcoind -seednode=seed01.devcoin.org -seednode=seed02.devcoin.org

OR alternatively:

- In the configuration file devcoin.conf, add the following:

Code:
seednode=seed01.devcoin.org
seednode=seed02.devcoin.org
seednode=seed03.devcoin.org
seednode=seed04.devcoin.org

People running old versions of devcoin client (v0.8.5 and older), please confirm that with the methods above you can still sync with the network.

- develCuy

kickback

Activity: 240
Merit: 62

View Profile
May 24, 2020, 11:28:52 PM

Hello everybody,

We have good and bad news. The bad news first of course. We are discontinuing the use of our main DNS seed node, due to lack of funds. For that reason we are staying with the fallback DNS seed node. Not only that, the consequence is that all releases from 0.8.5.0 and older will loose the ability to sync with the network. We forecast that all nodes using old Devcoin releases will break 5 days from now, so the deadline to fix your node(s) is May 21st!

Soooo, we have a new release (yeah, a FULL realease) ready! Please find the detailed instructions to cook your new wallet here: https://steemit.com/busy/@cpol/how-to-compile-your-very-own-devcoin-wallet-in-ubuntu-18-04

The above applies to everybody running a devcoin node, miners included. You are warned.

Go go Devcoin!

- develCuy

I bought some DevCoin and sent it to my -1.0.16-w32 running on windows.Will this wallet be affected by this in the near future?

Also it is having this issue "failed to connect to best block" so am not able to sync it to use it right now.

I can't get to my windows wallet version 1.0.16 to sync it because I am overseas right now but will it be affected by these changes discussed? I don't run nodes or know how to compile wallets.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
May 24, 2020, 11:57:23 PM

-MarkM-

Thanks for the clarification Mark! It means that we have a workaround solution for old wallets that depend on your expiring dvcnode.org domain name. Both the command line and devcoin.conf allow to add known seed nodes other than the hardcoded (your old subdomains dvcstable01, dvcstable02, dvcstable03, ...). Long history short, instructions:

- In the command line, add the params -seednode=hostname to devcoind comand (typically for devcoind instances). For example:

Code:
$ devcoind -seednode=seed01.devcoin.org -seednode=seed02.devcoin.org

OR alternatively:

- In the configuration file devcoin.conf, add the following:

Code:
seednode=seed01.devcoin.org
seednode=seed02.devcoin.org
seednode=seed03.devcoin.org
seednode=seed04.devcoin.org

People running old versions of devcoin client (v0.8.5 and older), please confirm that with the methods above you can still sync with the network.

- develCuy

The second option worked for me. I had to create the devcoin.conf file as it didn't already exist, but it worked and my wallet is all synced up Smiley
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2020, 07:43:08 PM

It seems the dvdnode.org domain somehow got renewed for anoher year, I think maybe I was automatically billed for it or something and my bank account happened to actually have money in it at that moment.

Or maybe some third party anonymously paid the renewal fee, I don't know what exactly happened but WHOIS evidently shows I have it for another year.

So presumably the hostnames at dvcnode.org should keep working for another year yet.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
May 26, 2020, 09:40:18 PM

Ok, that seems good news to me.

Qtera

Activity: 161
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2020, 10:31:20 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2020, 01:31:53 AM by Qtera

Guys just a short PSA, the Freiexchange has a working DVC/BTC market. Just a friendly reminder that DVC is still listed in there and you can buy and sell as much as you want  Smiley

Earn Devcoins by Writing
Devcoin address: 122fZgNs8jL72jbUFstnpvG6EE8GFJA2Xr
Steemit Profile Account
develCuy

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2020, 01:05:19 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2020, 01:36:30 AM by develCuy

Hey everybody,

The world has changed so badly that things are never going to be same ever, so we should change plans, strategy, objectives and so on. The change is not only affecting our jobs and personal lives, it is also reshaping (and reviving) the cryptocurrency market. We are in a global crisis indeed, we are now living in a new world! What can we do with the Devcoin project then? Well, I need your input to the following ideas:

Let me share with you my strong interest on an idea proposed for so long by Mark: Devcoin as a token. We were actually going towards that goal but COVID-19 came first along the fork of STEEM, which brought HIVE and blah blah blah. Long history short: we need to look for a safer place to release Devcoin tokens. Mark proposed to release in the Stellar network, something that makes a lot of sense but lets explore more alternatives. How about TRON? ETH? EOS?... I'm keen to hear proposals, pros and cons. Community, can you share your feedback here?

Who needs another token out there?

Another very important idea IMHO is to understand why do we need a Devcoin Token. There are many reasons but let me share what I consider the most important and I'll do my best to be clear. Devcoin is 9 years old, its source code is a 99% based on on aged Bitcoin fork and it is only differentiated by a philanthropic distribution system, where miners get 10% of block rewards and the other 90% should be distributed to different people (see: http://www.devtome.com/devtome_stats). Devcoin managed to have some position in the crypto market, at least good enough to trade Devcoins at any time. Unfortunately, many things contributed to the destruction of Devcoin's market value and we also have a small number of people that managed to hold huge reserves of Devcoin, let's call them whales for short.

The situation with whales is a key aspect

We know that there has been a HUGE number of Devcoins going round after round to people "contributing" to Devtome when it was kind of abandoned. That's why the administrators decided to set a temporal moratorium and later we tried to move it into the STEEM blockchain so that we can implement a fair distribution system, with content curation and a bigger ecosystem. Well, that is old history now. At EOD what really matters is that there is STRONG FEAR for a whale (or whales) that come and dump the value of Devcoin as soon as we try to build it up. Somebody seems to be taking unfair advantage of all our efforts as a project!

Let's fix this! How about forking the blockchain?

Oh, wait, there is another key aspect here. Miners don't show any interest on forking and there aren't other miners interested on Devcoin, so we are basically stuck with the blockchain that we have. Things are like they are right now. We have some people that earned a BIG amount of Devcoins in a questionable way and we can't change that, unfortunately.

What can we do then?

Short answer: Lets release Devcoin Tokens in a NEW market! Long answer: Remember all funds we are holding into the OpenSourceFund wallet and friends? Well, how about "burning" them in exchange for Devcoin Tokens? Let's say that we find a very safe way to "burn" them so that nobody can ever use them. It means that we can start over in a new market with a renewed and fair distribution system!

Voilà! Presto! Eureka! ... Not so fast...

How can we give Devcoin Tokens some intrinsic value if they are purely based on the broken Devcoin market value?

Who said that? We do still have some assets out there. The @devcoin and @devtome accounts at STEEM and HIVE hold some funds. The devcoin.org and devtome.com websites still have some traffic that we can use for marketing the new token, and the most important: We still have people willing to contribute to the project. As long as we have that, we can find a good strategy to build up the value of the future Devcoin tokens.

Quick idea for building up the value of Devcoin tokens

Inspired on STEEM, EOS and HIVE, we can have Devcoins in the blockchain and DevDollars as a token. Then, we burn Devcoins as they are generated (lets say that we burn 100 million Devcoins on every round), in the other side we release DevDollars. We should then have a helper market in a token based network, where we can exchange the other Token (Lumens?) for DevDollars. The Devcoin Foundation should release an X amount of DevDollars, pay them to the beneficiaries along a buy order for that amount of DevDollars. That is how we guarantee a minimum value for DevDollars. Speculators will have to buy at a higher rate and the winner will always be the beneficiaries.

How many DevDollars should Devcoin Foundation release on every round?

We should first resolve how to buy Lumens! We'll have to use our funds (SBD & HBD) at STEEM and HIVE to buy Lumens, then we can make numbers. Since we are talking about "dollars" here, we could pair the value of DevDollars with USD Dollars. For example, if we have $10 USD worth of Lumens, then the Devcoin Foundation can release up to $10 DevDollars that given round. All in all, it means that we have just burned 100 million Devcoins for $10 DevDollars.

Many raw ideas here, I look forward to your feedback.

Go go Devcoin!

- develCuy

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 01, 2020, 08:25:22 AM
Merited by FuzzyBear (1)

Hey everybody,

The world has changed so badly that things are never going to be same ever, so we should change plans, strategy, objectives and so on. The change is not only affecting our jobs and personal lives, it is also reshaping (and reviving) the cryptocurrency market. We are in a global crisis indeed, we are now living in a new world! What can we do with the Devcoin project then? Well, I need your input to the following ideas:

Let me share with you my strong interest on an idea proposed for so long by Mark: Devcoin as a token. We were actually going towards that goal but COVID-19 came first along the fork of STEEM, which brought HIVE and blah blah blah. Long history short: we need to look for a safer place to release Devcoin tokens. Mark proposed to release in the Stellar network, something that makes a lot of sense but lets explore more alternatives. How about TRON? ETH? EOS?... I'm keen to hear proposals, pros and cons. Community, can you share your feedback here?

Who needs another token out there?

Another very important idea IMHO is to understand why do we need a Devcoin Token. There are many reasons but let me share what I consider the most important and I'll do my best to be clear. Devcoin is 9 years old, its source code is a 99% based on on aged Bitcoin fork and it is only differentiated by a philanthropic distribution system, where miners get 10% of block rewards and the other 90% should be distributed to different people (see: http://www.devtome.com/devtome_stats). Devcoin managed to have some position in the crypto market, at least good enough to trade Devcoins at any time. Unfortunately, many things contributed to the destruction of Devcoin's market value and we also have a small number of people that managed to hold huge reserves of Devcoin, let's call them whales for short.

The situation with whales is a key aspect

We know that there has been a HUGE number of Devcoins going round after round to people "contributing" to Devtome when it was kind of abandoned. That's why the administrators decided to set a temporal moratorium and later we tried to move it into the STEEM blockchain so that we can implement a fair distribution system, with content curation and a bigger ecosystem. Well, that is old history now. At EOD what really matters is that there is STRONG FEAR for a whale (or whales) that come and dump the value of Devcoin as soon as we try to build it up. Somebody seems to be taking unfair advantage of all our efforts as a project!

Let's fix this! How about forking the blockchain?

Oh, wait, there is another key aspect here. Miners don't show any interest on forking and there aren't other miners interested on Devcoin, so we are basically stuck with the blockchain that we have. Things are like they are right now. We have some people that earned a BIG amount of Devcoins in a questionable way and we can't change that, unfortunately.

What can we do then?

Short answer: Lets release Devcoin Tokens in a NEW market! Long answer: Remember all funds we are holding into the OpenSourceFund wallet and friends? Well, how about "burning" them in exchange for Devcoin Tokens? Let's say that we find a very safe way to "burn" them so that nobody can ever use them. It means that we can start over in a new market with a renewed and fair distribution system!

Voilà! Presto! Eureka! ... Not so fast...

How can we give Devcoin Tokens some intrinsic value if they are purely based on the broken Devcoin market value?

Who said that? We do still have some assets out there. The @devcoin and @devtome accounts at STEEM and HIVE hold some funds. The devcoin.org and devtome.com websites still have some traffic that we can use for marketing the new token, and the most important: We still have people willing to contribute to the project. As long as we have that, we can find a good strategy to build up the value of the future Devcoin tokens.

Quick idea for building up the value of Devcoin tokens

Inspired on STEEM, EOS and HIVE, we can have Devcoins in the blockchain and DevDollars as a token. Then, we burn Devcoins as they are generated (lets say that we burn 100 million Devcoins on every round), in the other side we release DevDollars. We should then have a helper market in a token based network, where we can exchange the other Token (Lumens?) for DevDollars. The Devcoin Foundation should release an X amount of DevDollars, pay them to the beneficiaries along a buy order for that amount of DevDollars. That is how we guarantee a minimum value for DevDollars. Speculators will have to buy at a higher rate and the winner will always be the beneficiaries.

How many DevDollars should Devcoin Foundation release on every round?

We should first resolve how to buy Lumens! We'll have to use our funds (SBD & HBD) at STEEM and HIVE to buy Lumens, then we can make numbers. Since we are talking about "dollars" here, we could pair the value of DevDollars with USD Dollars. For example, if we have $10 USD worth of Lumens, then the Devcoin Foundation can release up to $10 DevDollars that given round. All in all, it means that we have just burned 100 million Devcoins for $10 DevDollars.

Many raw ideas here, I look forward to your feedback.

Go go Devcoin!

- develCuy

I'm a bit confused about something in this proposal: what happens with coins that already exist? I know there's fear about whales having a lot of coins but keep in mind that some of us spent YEARS helping build the site, contributing, and spending countless hours on administration work. On top of that, some of us that spent the majority of our time working on the project have still sold exactly ZERO Devcoins. So while I get the fear aspect, it's important to remember that some of us believed in the old project so much that even as it tanked we held tight (and accumulated more coins on the market), rather than trying to cash out. Anything that would push coins out of whales' wallets is only a punch in the face to those who relentlessly worked to help the project and took zero remuneration due to wanting to see it succeed.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
develCuy

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2020, 10:02:31 AM

I'm a bit confused about something in this proposal: what happens with coins that already exist? I know there's fear about whales having a lot of coins but keep in mind that some of us spent YEARS helping build the site, contributing, and spending countless hours on administration work. On top of that, some of us that spent the majority of our time working on the project have still sold exactly ZERO Devcoins. So while I get the fear aspect, it's important to remember that some of us believed in the old project so much that even as it tanked we held tight (and accumulated more coins on the market), rather than trying to cash out. Anything that would push coins out of whales' wallets is only a punch in the face to those who relentlessly worked to help the project and took zero remuneration due to wanting to see it succeed.

Yeah, don't forget that I'm on the same boat. Just to make things clear, in my proposal I'm talking about money not in your pocket: newly generated coins & coins in the OpenSourceFund+friends. I'm not proposing anything for existing coins that aren't controlled by the Devcoin Foundation, yet.

- develCuy

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2020, 02:51:03 PM

We already have dDVC (digi-DeVCoin) "tokens" on HORIZON and STELLAR networks, based originally on the dDVC on the Digitalis Open Transactions server.

Furthermore a "DVC Holdings" aka "DVC Treasury" account already exists on HORIZON holding assets whose total supposed value can be added up and that total divided by the number of DeVCoins minted to arrive at a supposed value per DeVCoin.

A problem generically across all of the various assets used in such "treasuries" and more assets whose value is computed from them but tht are not themselves used in such "treasuries" is that very few of the assets have lately been listed on any of the usual public website-based "exchanges" the crypto community is used to.

This has resulted in skewing of prices, and thus arbitrage oppotunities, caused by the players who want to "cash out" to "Planet Known As Earth" fiat currencies having very few routes toward such "cashing-out" and thus driving up the actual "spot prices" on these platforms of the assets that are listed on the familiar type of "exchanges" and, on those exchanges, a driving down of the actual "spot prices" of those actual coins on those familiar exchanges.

This is a large part of why it is good to have more of our coins listed on such exchanges.

The more coins any "cashing out" activity can be spread amongst, the lower the impact "cashing out" ought to be able to have on any one such coin.

Right now for example I know off-hand that DVC, IXC, I0C, USF (aka SCIFI), KED, GPL2, AXIOM and QBT are all listed on one or more of the usual familiar website-type public "exchanges", thus all of them are possible routes toward "cashing out", so I would expect their "spot prices" on HORIZON and STELLAR platforms to be inflated as players compete to be first/cheapest to "cash out", and their "spot prices" on the "exchanges" to be somewhat suppressed by that same "cashing out" activity.

This in turn means that folks who are aiming at "cashing out" into "Planet Known As Earth" funds tend to be seeing actual cashed-out values of all these assets end up at End Of Day to be substantially lower than the computed relative-values calculated for these assets based on the "treasuries" system.

For example, the computed supposed value of IXC based on its "treasury" is about 21.5 cents Canadian or so, but on FreiExchange its highest recent value was someone buying it up to 650 satoshis, and subsequent filling back up of buy and sell sides has its lowest sell price current at 570 satoshis and highest buy offer at 520 satoshis, which is bitcoin was worth 10,000 dollars each would come to 5.7 cents (of whichever kind of dollars bitcoin was worth 10,000 of) and 5.2 cents repsectively.

So we can see that for someone thinking of "cashing out" by way of IXC, they would see all the computed relative values (e.g. the "Latest Rates" file and all the tables and plots based on it) as being too high by a factor of four or five or six or so, that is, that if they tried to actually cash out, by way of IXC, they could only expect to yield a quarter to a sixth or so of the value indicated in those files and tables and plots and such.

The more we strengthen the buy-sides on those usual website-type public "exchanges", and the more of our coins we do so for, the better the cashing-out picture should eventually look. I have gotten IoC and IXC up to a dollar a coin at least twice maybe more times, it is just a matter of time but then typically a hack or a fly-by-night exchange blows it and I have to start from scratch all over again.

With IXC and I0C I am helped by the fact that they do not mint a lot of new coins constantly.

With DVC the sheer number of new DVC being minted constantly undermines the prices seen on exchanges.

The Corp whose mandate is specifically to support and strengthen the value of DVC is "DeVCorp".

The Corp, created by DeVCorp, that seems to be actually accomplishing the most is General Financial Corp, GFC; it holds a huge amount of DVC-denominated debt.

It seems to me that shares of those two Corps could make a lot of sense as something the "DVC Foundation" could buy to "lock up" DeVCoins.

If almost all shares of DVC minted went to buying such shares, that would keep DVC off the market while still rewarding supporters of the coin. You can see historical calculated-values of both shares of DeVCorp (sDVC) and shares of General Financial Corp (sGFC) at http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/sharesindvc.html

The Foundation could also list the shares back on the sell side as it acquires them, building stacks of sell offers higher and higher ready to get bought when (or if) the prices climb.

So in short, we already have tokens and we already have stuff set up for binding coins into Corps to keep them off the market, you-lot just haven't been fully utilising them.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 01, 2020, 11:38:03 PM

Yeah, don't forget that I'm on the same boat. Just to make things clear, in my proposal I'm talking about money not in your pocket: newly generated coins & coins in the OpenSourceFund+friends. I'm not proposing anything for existing coins that aren't controlled by the Devcoin Foundation, yet.

- develCuy

Okay, awesome. I just wanted to make sure! I was removed from my admin duties (despite hosting the Receiver files as I was notified in the past), which sucks, but I accept it. Is there any way to continue earning DVC now? My other duties were all related to DevTome so I'm assuming I have nothing coming in anymore, Sad.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2020, 12:49:04 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2020, 01:55:55 AM by markm

GFC can act as a way of "earning" DVC because of the fact that its value is mostly based upon its portfolio of DVC-based debts that are owed to it.

These debts are "secured" by the various FreeCiv-based nations that are actively working toward building defensive shells around the galaxy or galaxies in which the FreeCiv-based planets are located.

This effort is spearheaded by the (galactic) United Nations, whose most powerful constituents so far are the Brits, the Canucks and the Martians.

Thus right there you see there are at least four of the most significant galactic currencies basically aligned behind it all: United Nations Script (UNS), United Kingdom Britcoin (UKB), Canadian Digital Notes (CDN) and Martian BotCoin (MBC), in addition to DeVCoins themselves (which, by the way, have all along been considered one of the "big seven" Galactic currencies).

Admittedly the loans got off to a rocky start by being given out to random internet passers-by who chose to participate in mining galaxies far far away, with most of those passers-by vanishing after doing mostly nothing whatsoever with their newly created mining colonies.

However after about a "Planet Known as Earth" year (corresponding to about twelve game-years presumably) the powers that be (aka the United Nations and its main constituents) decided it was time to "repo" all the colony Corps that had not been logged into for at least a year, and they proceeded to recruit "Galactic Repo Corps" to take on those debts and run those colonies and continue to make payment on those loans.

So although a lot of those loans grew huge during that initial year, they have all been back to receiving payments for Earth-years (not game years) now.

The governments of the civilised planets are committed to this massive defense project because the existence of O-game and so called O-game clones shows us that the multiverse is indeed full of extremely hostile things out there somewhere, so rings of O-game clone implemented galaxies are being fortified around the "home galaxy" or "home galaxies" to defend against any eventual incursions from O-games far far away.

Because there are typically about twelve game-years to a "real" (non-game) year, the interest rates might seem a little high to Earthlings (players), but in game time terms they are of course twelve times less so maybe not really "unreasonably high" in their actual (which is to say, in-game) context.

I believe they are basically about a quarter of a percent per actual non-game calendar day, calculated as hourly compounding with any fraction of an hour accounted as a full hour.

Hourly was chosen in case the same processes end up being used to deal with leverage style loans / moneymarket-accounts types of thing where someone might for example want to borrow something for a few hours to short it or something like that.

Obviously of course this is all within a game, the Galactic Milieu; if it all turns out to work well gosh knows what paperwork would be needed to proceed from this in-game prototyping to some kind of real-world similar set of constructs.

So the upshot of all this is that you can buy GFC shares and list them for sale at a higher price, and wait for someone to come along and buy them at that higher price, fully expecting that at least in DeVCoins the value will indeed be higher since the debts it is collecting on are denominated in DeVCoins.

It is partly to facilitate the continued and hopefully regular presence of buyers that I have suggested the "DVC Foundation" proposed as recipient of the lion's share of minted DeVCoins take up regular buying of GFC shares. However even if that ends up not happening presumably there should always be bargain-hunters "out there" willing to snap up the shares as and when the sell offer prices get caught up to and exceeded by the value of the shares.

I regret in fact that I have so little time myself to keep scouring the markets looking for bargains after each new "Latest Rates" include-file is published. I have noticed in passing some pretty extreme bargains building up through the last few generations of the "Latest Rates".

-MarkM-

develCuy

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2020, 05:16:38 AM

So in short, we already have tokens and we already have stuff set up for binding coins into Corps to keep them off the market, you-lot just haven't been fully utilising them.

Mark, first of all thanks for the feedback.

I know that you issued tokens already, but my concern is that they are arbitrarily generated in a fixed amount. Rather I prefer to create an "Stable TOKEN" that we can trade for a USD-pegged token (here Lumens just for the examples), that way people getting the tokens will have time and peace of mind for trading them at a minimum market value. For that very reason the number of tokens released on every round should be variable. Also, I think that we should not generate new tokens if we don't need them. For example, say that at the beginning of round 107 the Devcoin Foundation issues 10 DevDollars, they are paid to the beneficiaries and they manage to trade all their DevDollars for Lumens at the rate offered by DF. Since DF is the issuer and buyer at the same time, it will get the 10 DevDollars back during round 107. What will happen on round 108? say that DF needs to pay another 10 DevDollars to beneficiaries, then it will pay from balance, since it is not necessary to issue new DevDollars. In a more realistic scenario, some beneficiaries will hold their DevDollars or offer them for sale at a higher rate than DF's. Say that 5 DevDollars get back to DF and 5 DevDollars stay on hold by beneficiaries. Then, on round 108 DF will issue 5 DevDollars to complete the required 10 so that it can complete all payments. Another case is when DF starts to hold DevDollars, if it has to pay only 2 DevDollars on round 108, but there are 5 available in the wallet, it will only order 2 DevDollars back from the market. So, 3 DevDollars will stay on hold for round 109.

Sounds like a plan?

- develCuy

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2020, 07:00:02 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2020, 01:48:08 PM by markm

The problem is what are the actual dollars you are going to use to buy back the devdollars?

I have seen a number of schemes whereby they attempt to use their coin as collateral to somehow create supposed stablecoins, but they are not really anywhere near as stable as their whitepapers make them sound.

I still think what we need to do is keep building the buy sides as strong as possible, the approach I have described before has worked over and over and over again not only tending the value up and up and up but also yielding more and more of the coin back again to bury in the backyard or wherever; that is, it takes more and more of the coin out of circulation while growing the value per coin of those still piled up on the exchanges as huge buy side and sell side columns of offers.

Unless you are going to have an actual "treasury" of dollars with which to "back" coins as dollar-tokens it is hard to really assert your coin is fixed at a dollar, but you can always keep building the buy-side stronger (denser) than the sell-side and strive toward eventually having a buy-side large enough and deep enough that all the outstanding coins (those not yet buried in the back yard as it were) can eventually be sold to it.

Also your idea seems to isolate DeVCoin, trying to have it stand alone instead of being a part of a rich tapestry of inter-related assets that all support one another and provide a hopefully ever-growing number of routes out to fiat or other various economies (though mostly fiat, realistically, since most users do tend to be from "the planet known as Earth" so have that bias of in the long run tending to want to ship their gains back to Earth).

If you want to have dollars why not simply use one of the actually-backed-by-real-dollars stablecoins as the dollar side and build up your buy-side of those stronger and stronger until you can buy back all outstanding DeVCoins with those at whatever dollar value per DeVCoin you are targetting or are able to actually achieve given the size of your dollars buy-side column of offers?

Right now we are having a snag in building up our buy-side due to DVC being paired against bitcoin; however we have several other coins, and not only ones that are mined right alongside DeVCoins, in which it is still reasonable and feasible to build up their buy-sides, which to my mind shows one of the strengths of using many coins. When one or more of them, in this case DeVCoin, hits a snag due to the vagaries of "exchanges", no problem we can simply continue along by using any or all of our other coins that are also on exchanges.

That is also why I have all along suggested that the other coins should be among the free open source projects that we support. We should be trying to keep them all up to date and keep them all having enough nodes to function and so on. We should not be competing against our other coins but, rather, co-operating with them.

We can build up buy-sides of everything in Lumens, sure, I in fact already started doing that some time ago, although now that Lumens have gone up in value I am looking at having to get back in there and check all my offers since it is possible Lumens might be going up in value faster than the other side of the pairs so my offers might suddenly be looking more generous than I can afford if I do not keep an eye on them.

You can already right now start helping build the XLM buy-side against DeVCoin and a bunch of our other assets on the STELLAR platform, see http://makemoney.knotwork.com/stellar/

A big advantage of the STELLAR platform is we can also build all the pairs, everything against everything, if we choose, as Lumens do not insinuate themselves into every trade like HZs do on the HORIZON platform.

-MarkM-

Pages: « 1 ... 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: