Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:35:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 [546] 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast announces specs for new ASIC: 400GH/s  (Read 880232 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 10:40:56 PM

HF was the first full custom 28nm ASIC.  KnC used a shortcut.

That's why we ordered from them, if you can remember that far back.   Smiley

Hmm full custom you say? That's impossible! HF chip can't be a full custom chip. If it is the it must be the worst implementation ever!

Ok RS, if "full custom" is the wrong term please tell us the right one, because you know what I meant.   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 12:14:00 AM

HF was the first full custom 28nm ASIC.  KnC used a shortcut.

That's why we ordered from them, if you can remember that far back.   Smiley

Hmm full custom you say? That's impossible! HF chip can't be a full custom chip. If it is the it must be the worst implementation ever!

Ok RS, if "full custom" is the wrong term please tell us the right one, because you know what I meant.   Wink

There are different type of making a chip. Most common ones are "full custom" and "standard cell". Bitfury has a full custom 55nm chip, all the rest are standard cell. Google is your friend my friend. Search and see the differences. HF chip must be a standard cell one, NOT full custom!

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

There are different type of making a chip. Most common ones are "full custom" and "standard cell". Bitfury has a full custom 55nm chip, all the rest are standard cell. Google is your friend my friend. Search and see the differences. HF chip must be a standard cell one, NOT full custom!

OIC, you are just trolling and trying to make me think I'd forgotten my ASIC vocabulary.

KnC's first chip was standard cell.  HF's GN1 is full custom.  That's why it is so much faster than the competitions!

750 GH on a single chip.  Still an unbeaten record.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:38:35 AM

OIC, you are just trolling and trying to make me think I'd forgotten my ASIC vocabulary.

KnC's first chip was standard cell.  HF's GN1 is full custom.  That's why it is so much faster than the competitions!

It's actually 4 chips on a single substrate.  So 750/4 is the actual speed of the chip, or 187.5 GH/s per chip. 

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:00:19 AM

"Fastest" chip from the fastest mining company bankruptcy in the Bitcoin ecosystem.

How many bitcoins are you willing to bet on GN1 being full custom?

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 04:43:15 AM

"Fastest" chip from the fastest mining company bankruptcy in the Bitcoin ecosystem.

How many bitcoins are you willing to bet on GN1 being full custom?

Why put "fastest" in scare quotes?

Are you too cranky to acknowledge the simple fact that HF's 750GH/s/chip (whether full or partial custom) is still the world record holder by a large margin?

What does bankruptcy have to do with performance specs?  Did the GN1 suddenly get slower when HF ran out of money and time?   Roll Eyes

You appear to be letting your butthurt emotions color your view of objective facts of hardware output.

Do you need a crying towel or pouting handkerchief?   Cheesy

PS  Inaba, it's one chip with four dies.  Chip = [die(s) + substrate package].

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:02:25 AM

What does bankruptcy have to do with performance specs?  Did the GN1 suddenly get slower when HF ran out of money and time?   Roll Eyes

It became irrelevant when they couldn't build a working miner out of it.

Buy & Hold
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:12:18 AM

Are you too cranky to acknowledge the simple fact that HF's 750GH/s/chip (whether full or partial custom) is still the world record holder by a large margin?

Wrong once again.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 05:52:54 AM

Wrong once again.

If I'm wrong, please tell the class what competing die(s)+substrate object offers higher performance than HF's.  Come on, don't be shy.  You can do it!  Oh wait, no you can't.   Roll Eyes

Both definitions are correct, but in common usage the complete die(s)+substrate package constitutes a chip.

Since you want to be a pedant, let's just agree that HF's GH per sq mm of wafer is the highest of any design, regardless of how obnoxiously narrowly you want to define "chip."   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:17:09 AM

PS  Inaba, it's one chip with four dies.  Chip = [die(s) + substrate package].

Wrong once again.

If I'm wrong, please tell the class what competing die(s)+substrate object offers higher performance than HF's.  Come on, don't be shy.  You can do it!  Oh wait, no you can't.   Roll Eyes

Both definitions are correct, but in common usage the complete die(s)+substrate package constitutes a chip.

Since you want to be a pedant, let's just agree that HF's GH per sq mm of wafer is the highest of any design, regardless of how obnoxiously narrowly you want to define "chip."   Grin

How does an entity that designed and built the best mousetrap known to man go bankrupt, while inferior mousetrap manufacturers continue to exist, supplying their customers with highly sough-after sub-par products?
bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:20:23 AM

I think this is what is causing bitcoin to stagnate.. too many fucking scams. here we have hashfast, I could sit here all day listing scams, etc. But hashfast really had some potential. I was very interested in them at the beginning.. Im so lucky that BFL already stole all my money so that I couldn't invest, lol...
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 06:29:13 AM

How does an entity that designed and built the best mousetrap known to man go bankrupt, while inferior mousetrap manufacturers continue to exist, supplying their customers with highly sough-after sub-par products?

You act as if HF is the first company in history to go bankrupt despite having a superior product, but you are far too old for that to be the case.   Smiley

Did you miss the last 12 months of this thread, where the story was told blow-by-blow and in detail?

You know the answers to your question, but pretend you don't just to create negative insinuations (and drama queen, as usual).

Do you really think anyone is going to buy your fake pearl-clutching pantomime?   Roll Eyes

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:10:05 AM

You act as if HF is the first company in history to go bankrupt despite having a superior product, but you are far too old for that to be the case.   Smiley

If you consider the HF produced equipment to be a 'superior product' then that tells a lot about the low low standards you live by...

Only one out of 4 units that arrived here performed as spec'd out. The rest had to run crippled for an entire month until there was finally a software fix that disabled one of the cores, making the systems now to run at 3/4 speeds. That is surely a superior yield...

Oh did I forget to mention the superior product arrived over 2 months late, rendering it totally useless?

Why do you keep defending HF like you are Hashfast_CL's retarded little sister? "We got the fastest chip". Who cares. Bottom line  matters: HF did not deliver a working solution to their customers on time. And it turns out that most of it is to blame to incompetence too.
jimmothy

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:22:12 AM

Why do you keep defending HF like you are Hashfast_CL's retarded little sister? "We got the fastest chip". Who cares. Bottom line  matters: HF did not deliver a working solution to their customers on time. And it turns out that most of it is to blame to incompetence too.

I think I remember a rumor that Icebreaker actually was Hashfast_CL. It really does make sense now. Nobody other than Icebreaker could completely destroy hashfast reputation and anger customers like Hashfast_CL did.

jimmothy

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:23:10 AM

You act as if HF is the first company in history to go bankrupt despite having a superior product, but you are far too old for that to be the case.   Smiley

Yes, HF is the first bitcoin manufacturer in history to spend ~$15m on NRE and design a chip that is only on par with the competition.

BTW where is the document that outlines Hashfasts expenses? I've been looking through the documents here but can't seem to find it: https://cases.processgeneral.com/cases/document/case/5/hashfast-technologies-llc/

No both definitions are not correct. A substrate is just the board part of any PCB (other part is components/copper traces). There are no ASICs that do not go on a substrate.

If I'm wrong, please tell the class what competing die(s)+substrate object offers higher performance than HF's.  Come on, don't be shy.  You can do it!  Oh wait, no you can't.   Roll Eyes

I'm assuming you mean in terms of gh/s per substrate so here's your useless comparison:

Hashfail - 750 gh/s
Cointerra - 800 gh/s
SP10- 800 gh/s
SP30- 2,250 gh/s
BFL monarch - 800 gh/s

Since you want to be a pedant, let's just agree that HF's GH per sq mm of wafer is the highest of any design, regardless of how obnoxiously narrowly you want to define "chip."   Grin

If anyone is being obnoxious it's you. Nobody cares about how much gh/s you can fit on a chip/pcb. What's important is the $/gh and w/gh for complete hardware not just the chips.

Yes the golden nonce is very good in terms of $/gh (~$0.1/gh I'd guess) but the w/gh is horrible and the amount of money they spent on engineering completely negates the production cost savings.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 07:25:29 AM

If you consider the HF produced equipment to be a 'superior product' then that tells a lot about the low low standards you live by...

Only one out of 4 units that arrived here performed as spec'd out. The rest had to run crippled for an entire month until there was finally a software fix that disabled one of the cores, making the systems now to run at 3/4 speeds. That is surely a superior yield...

Oh did I forget to mention the superior product arrived over 2 months late, rendering it totally useless?

I care about the fact that HF has the fastest chip because how much that IP fetches at auction directly affects how much we customers will be compensated for their delays.

You don't need to rehash well known history regarding late shipments.  We were all here for that and some of us don't like to wallow in self-pity, as is your preference.

I'm not "defending" anything but the fact that per mm sq of wafer, HF's chip is the fastest.  The chip is the best, although the first boards and early firmware held it back.

Why are you so dead set on beating up on a company that is already in bankruptcy, to the point of straining to put down their great technology?

Are you just mad that I won't join your pity party and whine with you about how nothing HF ever did was any good?   Cheesy

Yes the golden nonce is very good in terms of $/gh (~$0.1/gh I'd guess) but the w/gh is horrible

Thank you for being reasonable.  Did you know the GN1 is very fuel efficient if you underclock it?  You can get it down to about 0.5GH/w at around half speed.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:49:29 AM

I care about the fact that HF has the fastest chip because how much that IP fetches at auction directly affects how much we customers will be compensated for their delays.

Oh now we have to feel sorry for good old HF and not mention anything negative, because it will decrease the resale value? "we customers will be compensated" are  you kidding me? By dangling that carrot in front of us you basically think we are just as stupid as a mule?

What is this, Stockholm syndrome? Battered Woman Syndrome?

I'm not "defending" anything but the fact that per mm sq of wafer, HF's chip is the fastest.  The chip is the best, although the first boards and early firmware held it back.

Why are you so dead set on beating up on a company that is already in bankruptcy, to the point of straining to put down their great technology?

"their great technology" is basically now worthless and has no future resale value. Nothing has been done with it over the last 9 months. It missed the boat. "It's dead Jim"
jimmothy

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:54:29 AM

Please just stop with the fastest chip nonsense. It's not the fastest chip nor is it the most gh/s to be put on a substrate.

What matters is the $/gh. Yes hashfast has a very good $/gh but you cannot say it's the best because you don't know what everyone else pays.

From what I've extrapolated AM/Bitmain/KNC/Innosilicon/Spondooliestech all pay ~$0.1-0.2/gh at the wafer like Hashfast.

Yes the golden nonce is very good in terms of $/gh (~$0.1/gh I'd guess) but the w/gh is horrible

Thank you for being reasonable.  Did you know the GN1 is very fuel efficient if you underclock it?  You can get it down to about 0.5GH/w at around half speed.

Source?

Hashfast's own misleading chart says otherwise:

That says the GN would need to be underclocked to 220gh/s for ~0.55w/gh at the chip which equates to ~0.7 w/gh at the wall and ~$0.6/gh at the wafer.

Overall the it would be mildly impressive for a $1m standard cell design but it's garbage for a $15m full custom.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 08:13:39 AM

"their great technology" is basically now worthless and has no future resale value. Nothing has been done with it over the last 9 months. It missed the boat. "It's dead Jim"

"Nothing?" Umm, except for the GN1.5 respin and GN2 design work, plus the Yoli EVO and Habanero boards.

But you just want to cry and bellyache freely, unfettered by inconvenient facts.  There, there.  Let it all out.  Scream into your pillow.  Now do you feel better?   Smiley

the golden nonce is very good in terms of $/gh (~$0.1/gh I'd guess)

That doesn't sound "worthless."  Having the masks ready to be fabricated into wafers at TSMC seems like a desirable asset, especially if the price of BTC picks up.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:19:18 AM

That doesn't sound "worthless."  Having the masks ready to be fabricated into wafers at TSMC seems like a desirable asset, especially if the price of BTC picks up.
Only if they get the rev4 and rev5 ready after that they have been fooling around with them for months, while we were paying their salaries.

And as you said, only if the BTC price skyrockets and the rest of the competition isn't able to keep up with the demand... That is simply not gonna happen.

So yeah, that's another bullshit post.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Pages: « 1 ... 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 [546] 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 »
  Print  

Jump to: