Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:11:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 [1846] 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667220 times)
Anabetsi

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 08:42:07 PM

How many threads does this coin need?  Huh
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:13:02 AM

How many threads does this coin need?  Huh

I don't know because this and speculation are all I  follow. What's your point I guess? People are mostly on reddit from what I have heard?

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4892

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:43:04 AM

I'm interested in Monero and love the concept but someone I respect objects to it for the following reasons:

- it uses eliptic curve cryptography, which is known to be a method of choice when the NSA wants you to use something they can break and others can't

WRONG, NSA backdoored Dual_EC_DRBG random number generator library, which just so happens to be elliptic curve. It was added as a default library in some of the most secure programs and was pushed into the NIST release. Also by being in this library release on systems (like winblows) that did not use it as default left an attack vector that all they had to do was change the library being used (simple regkey in winblows) and you would never know you were using a compromised library. Actually eliptic curve is used to defeat various attack vectors the NSA uses so you should get your facts straight.

As estimated by the authors behind the Logjam attack, the much more difficult precomputation needed to solve the discrete log problem for a 1024-bit prime would cost on the order of $100 million, well within the budget of large national intelligence agency such as the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA). The Logjam authors speculate that precomputation against widely reused 1024-bit DH primes is behind claims in leaked NSA documents that NSA is able to break much of current cryptography.[3]

To avoid these vulnerabilities, authors recommend use of elliptic curve cryptography, for which no similar attack is known. Failing that, they recommend that the order, p, of the Diffie–Hellman group should be at least 2048 bits. They estimate that the pre-computation required for a 2048-bit prime is 109 more difficult than for 1024-bit primes.[3]

If NSA is breaking Diffie–Hellman, but has not pushed for US sites to upgrade to longer keys, then it would be an example of NSA's NOBUS policy of not closing security holes that NSA believes only they can exploit.

- ECC can trivially be broken by a quantum computer

This is just so much of a joke of a statement it doesn't warrant a response. A sufficiently large qubit QC will break any cryptography period.

- It uses many constants in the crypto that aren't "nothing up my sleeve numbers”. This is one of the main ways to make crypto breakable by only the organization who chose the constants.

By selectively omitting commonly selected numbers you can increase the randomness strength of elliptic curve.

- the constants were created by an author that only goes by a pseudonym

So what? Kinda like Satoshi Nagasaki?

- NSA has recently started trying to move federal systems away from ECC, ie they are likely aware of a weakness in it that may soon be exploitable by others

They are preparing for QC realities and have admitted that Suite B is inadequate to the task, why this is in your argument against Monero is anyones guess.

Can anyone please address these concerns? Thanks in advance.

READ THIS, You can tell you friend a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2015/01/14/hopefully-last-post-ill-ever-write-on/

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
revelacaogr
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1021

2009 Alea iacta est

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:38:14 AM

Multisig

https://github.com/monero-project/monero/pull/2134

garytheasshole

Activity: 406
Merit: 105

Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin Konghwaguk

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 10:00:04 AM

I'm interested in Monero and love the concept but someone I respect objects to it for the following reasons:

- it uses eliptic curve cryptography, which is known to be a method of choice when the NSA wants you to use something they can break and others can't

WRONG, NSA backdoored Dual_EC_DRBG random number generator library, which just so happens to be elliptic curve. It was added as a default library in some of the most secure programs and was pushed into the NIST release. Also by being in this library release on systems (like winblows) that did not use it as default left an attack vector that all they had to do was change the library being used (simple regkey in winblows) and you would never know you were using a compromised library. Actually eliptic curve is used to defeat various attack vectors the NSA uses so you should get your facts straight.

As estimated by the authors behind the Logjam attack, the much more difficult precomputation needed to solve the discrete log problem for a 1024-bit prime would cost on the order of $100 million, well within the budget of large national intelligence agency such as the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA). The Logjam authors speculate that precomputation against widely reused 1024-bit DH primes is behind claims in leaked NSA documents that NSA is able to break much of current cryptography.[3]

To avoid these vulnerabilities, authors recommend use of elliptic curve cryptography, for which no similar attack is known. Failing that, they recommend that the order, p, of the Diffie–Hellman group should be at least 2048 bits. They estimate that the pre-computation required for a 2048-bit prime is 109 more difficult than for 1024-bit primes.[3]

If NSA is breaking Diffie–Hellman, but has not pushed for US sites to upgrade to longer keys, then it would be an example of NSA's NOBUS policy of not closing security holes that NSA believes only they can exploit.

- ECC can trivially be broken by a quantum computer

This is just so much of a joke of a statement it doesn't warrant a response. A sufficiently large qubit QC will break any cryptography period.

- It uses many constants in the crypto that aren't "nothing up my sleeve numbers”. This is one of the main ways to make crypto breakable by only the organization who chose the constants.

By selectively omitting commonly selected numbers you can increase the randomness strength of elliptic curve.

- the constants were created by an author that only goes by a pseudonym

So what? Kinda like Satoshi Nagasaki?

- NSA has recently started trying to move federal systems away from ECC, ie they are likely aware of a weakness in it that may soon be exploitable by others

They are preparing for QC realities and have admitted that Suite B is inadequate to the task, why this is in your argument against Monero is anyones guess.

Can anyone please address these concerns? Thanks in advance.

READ THIS, You can tell you friend a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2015/01/14/hopefully-last-post-ill-ever-write-on/
We're beyond FUCKED if ECC is broken, Monero is not a concern at all https://ianix.com/pub/curve25519-deployment.html

jgkolt

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 03:45:18 AM

I am a new to Monero and running into some issues syncing the blockchain for the first time. 

I downloaded and ran monero-gui-v0.11.1.0 . The sync was taking over a day and still had a lot left so I looked for ways to speed this up. I read you can download the raw blockchain (https://www.monero.how/tutorial-how-to-speed-up-initial-blockchain-sync) imported and finished the sync. Once it finishes I save and shut down the daemon.  I launched the gui and it tries to start syncing all over again.  Am I doing something wrong? I thought the blockchain was fully synced and downloaded and I don't know if it will ever finish syncing through the Gui. Any suggestions on getting the blockchain to sync faster through the gui? Thank you for your help!
comicbook125

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 04:01:08 AM

It starts to get less profit for me in mining XMR, perhaps switching to trading only.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 04:05:37 AM

I am a new to Monero and running into some issues syncing the blockchain for the first time. 

I downloaded and ran monero-gui-v0.11.1.0 . The sync was taking over a day and still had a lot left so I looked for ways to speed this up. I read you can download the raw blockchain (https://www.monero.how/tutorial-how-to-speed-up-initial-blockchain-sync) imported and finished the sync. Once it finishes I save and shut down the daemon.  I launched the gui and it tries to start syncing all over again.  Am I doing something wrong? I thought the blockchain was fully synced and downloaded and I don't know if it will ever finish syncing through the Gui. Any suggestions on getting the blockchain to sync faster through the gui? Thank you for your help!

On what system?  Was it syncing the blockchain, or the wallet to the blockchain? You can connect to a remote node for use until your own copy of the blockchain is ready to go.

I find that starting the daemon, and not starting GUI until after it is up to speed works best is the only way to make it work on my old windows setup.  I put this entirely down to old hardware that was not fast even new, and of course, windows.  As has been posted before, cutting edge software works best on cutting edge hardware.
jgkolt

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 07:29:25 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2017, 08:02:56 AM by jgkolt

I downloaded and ran monero-gui-v0.11.1.0 . The sync was taking over a day and still had a lot left so I looked for ways to speed this up. I read you can download the raw blockchain (https://www.monero.how/tutorial-how-to-speed-up-initial-blockchain-sync) imported and finished the sync. Once it finishes I save and shut down the daemon.  I launched the gui and it tries to start syncing all over again.  Am I doing something wrong? I thought the blockchain was fully synced and downloaded and I don't know if it will ever finish syncing through the Gui. Any suggestions on getting the blockchain to sync faster through the gui? Thank you for your help!

On what system?  Was it syncing the blockchain, or the wallet to the blockchain? You can connect to a remote node for use until your own copy of the blockchain is ready to go.

I find that starting the daemon, and not starting GUI until after it is up to speed works best is the only way to make it work on my old windows setup.  I put this entirely down to old hardware that was not fast even new, and of course, windows.  As has been posted before, cutting edge software works best on cutting edge hardware.

My local system is running Windows 10 and  has an AMD 6 core processor, 12 gb memory, SSD, and a 100 Mbit fiber connection. It is not the newest computer but I didn't think it would take this long to sync. The disk usage doesn't go over 10%, the cpu doesnt go over 38%, and network is under 3 Mbps. I don't actually know the if it is syncing the blockchain or the wallet to the blockchain.

Below is what I did:
  • Downloaded and installed Monero https://downloads.getmonero.org/win64
  • Downloaded and copied blockchain.raw to monero gui folderhttps://downloads.getmonero.org/blockchain.raw
  • Imported the blockchain monero-blockchain-import.exe --verify 0 --input-file ./blockchain.raw
  • Ran the daemon until it was fully synced monerod.exe
  • Saved with save
  • Opened Monero Gui with monero-wallet-gui.exe
  • Entered password and the status at the bottom left said it was Synchronizing
The synchronizing that seems to take forever is the one at the bottom left within the wallet. To troubleshoot I also rebooted, and to start fresh between tests, I deleted the monero programs folder, redownloaded monero,  deleted c:\programdata\bitmonero, deleted C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\bitmonero,  deleted the registry location Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\monero-project and started over at my first step importing the blockchain. Also at one point started over and used the monero-wallet-cli.exe after the blockchain synced with monerod.exe but I didn't know how to open an existing wallet, so I deleted it all and started over with the gui instead of cli at that step. Thanks for your help as I learn more about this.

Below is a screenshot of the synching window I am referencing.
https://i.imgur.com/e9fdoby.png

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 07:58:20 AM

I downloaded and ran monero-gui-v0.11.1.0 . The sync was taking over a day and still had a lot left so I looked for ways to speed this up. I read you can download the raw blockchain (https://www.monero.how/tutorial-how-to-speed-up-initial-blockchain-sync) imported and finished the sync. Once it finishes I save and shut down the daemon.  I launched the gui and it tries to start syncing all over again.  Am I doing something wrong? I thought the blockchain was fully synced and downloaded and I don't know if it will ever finish syncing through the Gui. Any suggestions on getting the blockchain to sync faster through the gui? Thank you for your help!

On what system?  Was it syncing the blockchain, or the wallet to the blockchain? You can connect to a remote node for use until your own copy of the blockchain is ready to go.

I find that starting the daemon, and not starting GUI until after it is up to speed works best is the only way to make it work on my old windows setup.  I put this entirely down to old hardware that was not fast even new, and of course, windows.  As has been posted before, cutting edge software works best on cutting edge hardware.

My local system has an AMD 6 core processor, 12 gb memory, SSD, and a 100 Mbit fiber connection. It is not the newest computer but I didn't think it would take this long to sync. The disk usage doesn't go over 10%, the cpu doesnt go over 38%, and network is under 3 Mbps. I don't actually know the if it is syncing the blockchain or the wallet to the blockchain.

Below is what I did:
  • Downloaded and copied blockchain.raw to monero gui folderhttps://downloads.getmonero.org/blockchain.raw
  • Imported the blockchain monero-blockchain-import.exe --verify 0 --input-file ./blockchain.raw
  • Saved with save
The synchronizing that seems to take forever is the one at the bottom left within the wallet. To troubleshoot I also rebooted, deleted the monero programs folder, redownloaded monero,  deleted c:\programdata\bitmonero, deleted C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\bitmonero,  deleted the registry location Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\monero-project and started over. Also at one point started over and used the monero-wallet-cli.exe after the blockchain synced with monerod.exe but I didn't know how to open an existing wallet, so I deleted it all and started over with the gui instead of cli at that step. Thanks for your help as I learn more about this.

Sounds like you deleted the blockchain in your troubleshooting.
  Your system seems sufficient that if you just let it run, it would be done or nearly so the next morning.
  You did not mention what OS.  Not that I have a clue, but by now I at least know the basic info the guru's will want in order to help you  Wink 

With your system I think I'd just start the GUI and let it do the rest. Check on it in a day or two.
DRVX

Activity: 966
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 08:01:31 AM

I love Monero, I bought it in 100$ price and thought it was too much. But now I'm in good profit! Monero is the best!
jgkolt

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 08:05:05 AM

My local system has an AMD 6 core processor, 12 gb memory, SSD, and a 100 Mbit fiber connection. It is not the newest computer but I didn't think it would take this long to sync. The disk usage doesn't go over 10%, the cpu doesnt go over 38%, and network is under 3 Mbps. I don't actually know the if it is syncing the blockchain or the wallet to the blockchain.

Below is what I did:
  • Saved with save
The synchronizing that seems to take forever is the one at the bottom left within the wallet. To troubleshoot I also rebooted, deleted the monero programs folder, redownloaded monero,  deleted c:\programdata\bitmonero, deleted C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\bitmonero,  deleted the registry location Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\monero-project and started over. Also at one point started over and used the monero-wallet-cli.exe after the blockchain synced with monerod.exe but I didn't know how to open an existing wallet, so I deleted it all and started over with the gui instead of cli at that step. Thanks for your help as I learn more about this.

https://i.imgur.com/e9fdoby.png

Sounds like you deleted the blockchain in your troubleshooting.
  Your system seems sufficient that if you just let it run, it would be done or nearly so the next morning.
  You did not mention what OS.  Not that I have a clue, but by now I at least know the basic info the guru's will want in order to help you  Wink  

With your system I think I'd just start the GUI and let it do the rest. Check on it in a day or two.

I am running Windows 10 and also updated the first post. I will let it run over night and see where it is in the morning (last time 24 hours was not enough). Thanks for help so far. If anyone else also has ideas I am welcome to hear them too.
naska21

Activity: 1358
Merit: 635

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 08:13:54 AM

Multisignature has been merged: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7kfuqy/multisignature_just_got_merged/

Thank you, devs! Another great accomplishment!

yeah, from now on it can be integrated into the next core wallet release  and this is a huge advance, I think it will move the market.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 10:06:29 AM

See:

Note: This sync actually involves two kinds of syncing. First, the blockchain sync, which is basically downloading the blockchain from other nodes / peers. Second, the wallet sync, which is the wallet “refreshing” / scanning blocks looking for transactions belonging to your address / wallet. The GUI is currently using the same status bar for both syncs, which can be a bit confusing to newcomers. Fortunately, this will be fixed in the next release. Thus, if you see the “Blocks remaining:” starting all over again, it’s the wallet refreshing.

https://medium.com/@Electricsheep56/the-monero-gui-wallet-broken-down-in-plain-english-bd2889b8c202

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
comicbook125

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:26:57 AM

I start to regret not buying more coins since when it was 40$ each Smiley
DefendKebab

Activity: 439
Merit: 250

Hassan Al-Kebab

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 05:51:16 PM

Nice developments.

I think this weekend we'll see $500.

I think 600 / 700 easy , very undervalued compared to other projects.

Güçlü Türkiye Kebab Defenderler
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:16:27 PM

I've been exploring and trying to set up a node running in one of my local PCs (Windows 7) for the intent purpose of allowing Monerujo to connect to it as my private node instead of using one of the public nodes for obvious reasons.

These are my port forwards (DD-WRT router):

These are the args inserted in the monerod Shortcut Target:

~monerod.exe --rpc-bind-ip 0.0.0.0 --restricted-rpc --confirm-external-bind

I then used the following node address in Monerujo as my (private) node address:

EXT.WAN.IP.ADDRESS:18081

Unfortunately, Monerujo says: "Cannot reach node! Try again or another." Is there anything I missed in my setup? Since I'm definitely networking/CLI-challenged, I wouldn't be surprised.

I also tried it on a Windows 7 GUI wallet (netbook) for good measure but nothing happens when I click on "Connect":

djorzgul

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:17:53 AM

@visdude

I think asking this on monero forum is a better idea Smiley

https://forum.getmonero.org/
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:22:35 AM

If you were gonna pad your post count, at least post something significant and useful...not just for the sake of posting in order to pad your post count [intentional circular reference].

Chicken_76

Activity: 56
Merit: 7

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 08:37:20 AM

@visdude
Try the wallet on a computer in your LAN, and use the private (LAN IP) of the machine running the daemon.
Also worth double-checking, have you opened those ports in the firewall on the daemon machine?
Pages: « 1 ... 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 [1846] 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: