Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:55:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 [2052] 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667351 times)
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 07:56:01 PM

I used to think that Monero is a unique cryptocurrency that has great potential and after a stunning pump in 2017, it will always remain popular, but now I began to doubt because the price of this coin has fallen very much along with the market.

It's not too bad compared to other alts, but it does look a bit dead in the water.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PRESDIR

Activity: 719
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 11:18:21 AM

I used to think that Monero is a unique cryptocurrency that has great potential and after a stunning pump in 2017, it will always remain popular, but now I began to doubt because the price of this coin has fallen very much along with the market.

I used to think like you, even had time to enjoy some monero results in the trading of glorious years
but still hope the events of two years ago can still be repeated.

⌐      ERC-20 Token to pay Goods and Services      ¬
▬▬▬▬    ██ █▌█ ▌ b y z b i t ▐ █▐█ ██    ▬▬▬▬
└   Whitepaper   Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Facebook   Linkedin   ┘
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 11:25:07 AM
Merited by Fatman3001 (3)

Just dropping by to check on this thing.

Is this coin still alive and well or does it have some terminal problem?

Alive and well I would say. Development of both the code and the ecosystem is progressing strongly. A nice overview can be found here:

https://revuo-monero.com/periodicals/periodical-3-2019.html

The weekly issues can be found on the website too:

https://revuo-monero.com/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 11:26:37 AM

From the top 20, Monero is one of the best performers year to date. That being said, it obviously got affected by the significant decline in the altcoin market.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 03:03:22 PM

Alive and well I would say. Development of both the code and the ecosystem is progressing strongly. A nice overview can be found here:

https://revuo-monero.com/periodicals/periodical-3-2019.html

The weekly issues can be found on the website too:

https://revuo-monero.com/

thx, dEBRUYNE

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
User44a

Activity: 73
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 03:04:18 PM

it was a shitcoin  Grin  reeeee

Monero is and remained in Top20 for many years, anyone calling alt like this a shitcoin isn't clever at all. So many private coins only dream about getting where Monero is.

I know, the price dropped against BTC a lot, so did the rest of the market. If you're holding XMR just to get rich quick, you simply have to wait a bit longer for the alt season. If you value your privacy, especially for your shopping, Monero is the right coin for you.
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 04:57:35 PM

Monero is and remained in Top20 for many years, anyone calling alt like this a shitcoin isn't clever at all. So many private coins only dream about getting where Monero is.

it's a CLONE of bytecoin...umm yes it's a living breathing shit-coin pumped by GOLDMAN SACHS bruh.  Cool  you new here?

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
Zonton

Activity: 149
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 08:25:27 PM

From the top 20, Monero is one of the best performers year to date. That being said, it obviously got affected by the significant decline in the altcoin market.
But still, there are no interesting partnerships or updates, no new wallets, it’s still the same Monero as two years ago.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 09:14:08 PM

But still, there are no interesting partnerships or updates, no new wallets, it’s still the same Monero as two years ago.

This is nonsense, see:

In the last two years we have seen the following fundamental developments:

- An official GUI that is significantly improved and now properly curtailed to a vastly heterogeneous userbase.
- Multiple user friendly mobile wallets for Android and iOS.
- Multiple user friendly desktop wallets.
- Hardware wallet support (both Trezor and Ledger).
- Significant reduction of transaction size and improvement of verification performance via Bulletproofs. Bulletproofs furthermore ensured the fees can remain reasonably.
- Further reduction planned via CLSAG (approximately 20% reduction in transaction size and 20% improvement in verification performance).
- A long-term ASIC resistant (at least envisioned) proof-of-work algorithm RandomX, which was successfully audited by four different professional audit teams. Whether you are supportive of ASIC resistance or not, one cannot deny that this is a vast improvement over the status quo (which was essentially tweaking the PoW every six months).
- Multiple further privacy improvements.
- I2P/Tor integration for the CLI and GUI (soon, i.e., planned for v0.15).
- Blockchain pruning.

I am probably forgetting some stuff and haven't even included ecosystem related developments. Regardless, we can conclude that the difference between Monero in 2017 and Monero currently is essentially night and day.

A full list of available wallets can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/d78ny7/rmonero_weekly_discussion_september_21_2019_use/

If you make a comparison to 2017, you will see that there is a significant difference.

bitpotter

Activity: 1451
Merit: 258

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 04:38:55 AM

Maybe monero is currently being hit by a deadlock of ideas, but in my opinion it's fine if the monero is currently very good in the market.
User44a

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 07:56:32 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

it's a CLONE of bytecoin...umm yes it's a living breathing shit-coin pumped by GOLDMAN SACHS bruh.  Cool  you new here?

Great point! Monero is currently sitting at 0.00711342 BTC, Bytecoin aboooouuuutttt  0.00000005 BTC. Anyone who wants to take a risk in crypto has to see some kind of potential in it. People are greedy AF, if they can't see their money coming back with profit, they'll go elsewhere.

Because I'm new here and you're the master of all things Crypto, can you tell me why all the greedy people invested in Monero instead of Bytecoin? Thank you very much.
User44a

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 08:10:47 AM

This is nonsense, see:

- An official GUI that is significantly improved and now properly curtailed to a vastly heterogeneous userbase.
- Significant reduction of transaction size and improvement of verification performance via Bulletproofs. Bulletproofs furthermore ensured the fees can remain reasonably.
- Further reduction planned via CLSAG (approximately 20% reduction in transaction size and 20% improvement in verification performance).
- A long-term ASIC resistant (at least envisioned) proof-of-work algorithm RandomX, which was successfully audited by four different professional audit teams. Whether you are supportive of ASIC resistance or not, one cannot deny that this is a vast improvement over the status quo (which was essentially tweaking the PoW every six months).
- Blockchain pruning.

I am probably forgetting some stuff and haven't even included ecosystem related developments. Regardless, we can conclude that the difference between Monero in 2017 and Monero currently is essentially night and day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/d78ny7/rmonero_weekly_discussion_september_21_2019_use/

If you make a comparison to 2017, you will see that there is a significant difference.

Thank you dEBRUYNE. I like RandomX and hope Monero will stay ASIC resistant even if it pisses of all GPU miners. I'm one of them and will have to point the cards elsewhere but still happy if it keeps the network healthy.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 04:13:46 PM

This is nonsense, see:

- Blockchain pruning.

Thank you dEBRUYNE. I like RandomX and hope Monero will stay ASIC resistant even if it pisses of all GPU miners. I'm one of them and will have to point the cards elsewhere but still happy if it keeps the network healthy.

To be fair, the switch to RandomX has essentially been known since February / March. As such, GPU miners have had plenty of time to make plans on how to deal with the change. Furthermore, GPU mining will still be viable (though CPUs will definitely have an advantage).

Zonton

Activity: 149
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 08:56:01 PM

This is nonsense, see:

- Blockchain pruning.

Hm, maybe you’re right, just few people are talking about this coin now... Everything that you wrote is good, but unfortunately it didn’t affect the price.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 26, 2019, 05:05:18 AM

Hm, maybe you’re right, just few people are talking about this coin now... Everything that you wrote is good, but unfortunately it didn’t affect the price.

"Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own." -Baron Rothschild

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
CliffHan

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2019, 07:45:49 PM

Unbelievable how many coins have died since winter 2018, but Monero is still the one I think has a great future ahead!
ePesoInitiative

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 26, 2019, 08:21:33 PM

Unbelievable how many coins have died since winter 2018, but Monero is still the one I think has a great future ahead!

It remains to be seen. In Korea, privacy coins such as Monero are being delisted which was reported to be coming from regulatory pressure. The key is always usage - as long as many are using Monero for private transactions, it will always have value.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 26, 2019, 10:15:28 PM

It remains to be seen. In Korea, privacy coins such as Monero are being delisted which was reported to be coming from regulatory pressure. The key is always usage - as long as many are using Monero for private transactions, it will always have value.

Yup, the world follows Korea...we're doomed!

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 02:23:38 AM

Yup, the world follows Korea...we're doomed!

I remember best Korea seemed to have somewhat of an interest in Romero.
lestherat
Legendary

Activity: 986
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 05:02:47 AM
Last edit: September 29, 2019, 09:49:14 PM by lestherat

Guys be sure you will be ready for 30 Nov  Important not new coin will be created, is a fork but not a split fork as bch did

General information about the scheduled network upgrade

October 24 - Code freeze

October 31 - Targeted v0.15 release date

November 30 - Network upgrade

Approximately the 30th of November there will be a scheduled network upgrade on the Monero network. To be sufficiently prepared, a user, service, merchant, pool operator, or exchange should run CLI v0.15 or GUI v0.15. The scheduled network upgrade introduces a few major changes. First and foremost, a new long-term Proof-of-Work algorithm, namely RandomX, will be introduced. Miners therefore ought to upgrade their mining software as well. Second, long payment IDs will be phased out in order to improve privacy and user experience as well as reduce support work for services and exchanges. Third, transactions will now require at least two outputs. Fourth, the ten block (approximately twenty minutes) lock time for incoming transactions will be enforced on the protocol level. Both these changes will improve privacy for the user as well as for the whole network.

A few notes:

RandomX was successfully audited by four independent audit teams.

The Monero Outreach team wrote an informative article about RandomX.

A tentative fork height was set, namely block 1978433 (~17:00 UTC on 30th November).

Due to variance the scheduled network upgrade will take place on or around the 30th of November. There is, however, no specific date as the hard fork will be triggered by a specific blockheight.

How do I upgrade and ensure I am sufficiently prepared?

There will be more elaborate instructions once the v0.15 release binaries are published. However, it essentially boils down to upgrading your software (either the CLI or the GUI) to v0.15. This will ensure you are sufficiently prepared for the scheduled protocol upgrade.

In case you are using a third party wallet, please see below.

Paper wallet:

You don't have to do anything. However, if you want to restore a wallet after the scheduled network upgrade, you need to use the new v0.15 software.

MyMonero (web):

You don't have to do anything, as MyMonero will be properly upgraded in advance of the scheduled network upgrade.

Third-party desktop wallets (e.g. MyMonero):

There will be no changes to the transaction format. As such, third-party desktop wallets merely have to upgrade their back-end software. That being said, they may also release a new version.

Mobile wallets:

Mobile wallets utilizing a remote node (e.g. Cake Wallet, Monerujo, X Wallet, and Wookey) will have to release a new version in order to remain compatible. Users ought to upgrade to this new version.

Mobile wallets utilizing a light server (e.g. MyMonero, Edge Wallet, ZelCore, Coinomi, Guarda Wallet, and Exa Wallet) merely have to upgrade their back-end software (given that there are no changes to the transaction format). That being said, they may also release a new version.

Solo mining:

This process is similar to the upgrade process for the CLI or the GUI.

Pool mining:

Your pool operator should upgrade to the new version. In addition, you should update your mining software to the latest version (the one that includes code to accommodate RandomX).

Info taken from  https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/d884zt/preliminary_information_thread_regarding_the/
Pages: « 1 ... 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 [2052] 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: