Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:03:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 ... 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625085 times)
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:50:54 PM

We are glad that a New team of devs is born, in harmony with smooth. 

This is very cool news. I have zero programming skills but I wish the best to those involved.  Once the rebase is done and we have a reliable GUI wallet I can see a very positive future for AEON. 2017 has really been very good for AEON already even without a noob friendly wallet and having Bittrex closed for half the year (or close to it).
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stoffu

Activity: 203
Merit: 166

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 08:51:45 AM

For those who tried to sync aeond from scratch and couldn't go beyond the height 1000 with lots of "alternative chain, block height: 406" message, please try the following:
  • Delete the Aeon blockchain folder
  • Run aeond with --add-exclusive-node 34.205.171.63:11180 (one of the public nodes listed here https://aeon.wiki/Node )
  • Wait for a bit until it shows CHECKPOINT PASSED FOR HEIGHT 1000 <bc6458452fd0575a314089bf302f6fd68ebaa2d689c42f3365293b96bbdf1f25>
  • Stop aeond and run it again without --add-exclusive-node
https://github.com/aeonix/aeon/issues/117#issuecomment-353502728

There might be some issue that needs fixing.

It's actually more efficient (in terms of bandwidth usage and maybe time) to do the whole sync with --add-exclusive-node (can pick any working node, doesn't have to be the IP listed above) then remove it once the whole sync is done.

Thanks for commenting. I thought continuing to run with --add-exclusive-node might cause some high workload on that connected node.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't become too much of a barrier to entry for new users.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 08:04:18 PM

For those who tried to sync aeond from scratch and couldn't go beyond the height 1000 with lots of "alternative chain, block height: 406" message, please try the following:
  • Delete the Aeon blockchain folder
  • Run aeond with --add-exclusive-node 34.205.171.63:11180 (one of the public nodes listed here https://aeon.wiki/Node )
  • Wait for a bit until it shows CHECKPOINT PASSED FOR HEIGHT 1000 <bc6458452fd0575a314089bf302f6fd68ebaa2d689c42f3365293b96bbdf1f25>
  • Stop aeond and run it again without --add-exclusive-node
https://github.com/aeonix/aeon/issues/117#issuecomment-353502728

There might be some issue that needs fixing.

It's actually more efficient (in terms of bandwidth usage and maybe time) to do the whole sync with --add-exclusive-node (can pick any working node, doesn't have to be the IP listed above) then remove it once the whole sync is done.

Thanks for commenting. I thought continuing to run with --add-exclusive-node might cause some high workload on that connected node.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't become too much of a barrier to entry for new users.

You're right and if people are using a node IP published on a forum that is a bad idea. Otherwise it isn't so bad because it causes less workload for all the other nodes, and less workload for the network as a whole (because the syncing is somewhat inefficient and duplicates work across nodes). I usually suggest to start the sync normally and then pick one of the IPs from the print_cn list. That way people following the advice will probably be picking different nodes and not all swarming on one.

bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1440

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 01:53:29 AM

What is the update on the code rebase and who is commissioned to do it? I hope it is someone with the experience and the efficiency of the Monero development team. Smooth cannot risk giving it to unknowns.

There has to be guidelines and it should be under smooth's direction, very much like Linus Torvalds job in Linux.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
ArqTras

Activity: 125
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2017, 01:53:54 AM

Yet another mining pool, supportAEON.com

New pool: supportAEON.com

Fee: 0%
Wallet Min. Payout: 0.25

Previously known as AEONpool.pl; has switched its domain towards supportAEON.com, and back-end has been moved towards French.

Why change the domain?

A more universal domain name; rather then been associated as *only* a Polish pool, we decided to switch.

Why change the back-end?

To be more accessible from multiple regions within Europe, we noticed that the network delays where marginal compare network improvements for other regions.

Our goal is to launch more pools around Europe to provide the best connectivity to our platform and support the growth of AEON!

Mining Pool Address: pool.supportaeon.com:

* Low end, port: 3333
* Mid range, port: 5555
* High end, port: 7777

Questions? Message on reddit or send an email towards: support@supportAEON.com
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 05:02:38 AM

What is the update on the code rebase and who is commissioned to do it? I hope it is someone with the experience and the efficiency of the Monero development team. Smooth cannot risk giving it to unknowns.

There has to be guidelines and it should be under smooth's direction, very much like Linus Torvalds job in Linux.

Indeed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Aeon/comments/7lrsmx/guidelines_for_rebasing_efforts/

All submissions will be peer reviewed by the community and by me prior to any release (which is a long way off in any case, first step will be a working testnet).
RoftheN

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 05:42:35 PM

Why is the blocktime so slow? Does this make it safer?

bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 08:31:01 PM

Indeed.

All submissions will be peer reviewed by the community and by me prior to any release (which is a long way off in any case, first step will be a working testnet).

Long way off. Do you mean finishing the code rebase? When, do you reckon, will there be a final release, judging from this set of less experienced developers taking on the bounty?

Can you say that there is a candidate release by March or April, 2018?

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 12:07:34 AM

Indeed.

Long way off. Do you mean finishing the code rebase? When, do you reckon, will there be a final release, judging from this set of less experienced developers taking on the bounty?

Can you say that there is a candidate release by March or April, 2018?

I meant a release for the live network. There will need to be a testnet and a scheduled hard fork. Long way off is relative, and I didn't mean years.. March or April is plausible, depending on results of this bounty initiative. We'll see.

Why is the blocktime so slow? Does this make it safer?

Slower block time has some advantages for network stability but also for keeping the blockchain smaller and syncs faster, especially when usage is low (but syncs can be faster in some cases regardless of transaction rate).
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 01:14:31 AM

@smooth. Thank you for the clarification. I was beginning to worry that we will be back to the standard, automatic Aeon answer of soon everytime someone asks when the release of the rebase will be hehehe.

Also, when will you announce the new roadmap?

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:22:00 AM

There have been a few questions about how the rebase will affect current coin holdings, whether there will be a 'coin swap' etc. The short answer is that coin holdings will be completely unaffected. The rebase is about introducing new software to support the same blockchain. Coins are unaffected and there will not need to be a swap. You will probably need to restore your wallet from seed or keys using the new wallet software.

On the question of tail reward there has been ongoing discussion of this over the years and it was recently brought up on the rebase thread. My call on this is to simply adopt the same tail reward as Monero (that is, 0.3 AEON/minute). As such the rebase work should just carry over Monero's existing tail reward code. I know there have been some suggestions to try to differentiate on this basis, possibly have an exponentially growing reward (fixed annual percentage instead of fixed amount), etc. I don't think they are a good idea. The economics of a fixed reward that likely converges to a sort of fixed-ish money supply (given some percentage of annual coin loss due to lost/erased keys, deaths, etc.) both "get the job done" in terms of the reasons a tail reward is needed and also strike a decent balance with concerns over a coin serving as a store of value not having infinite dilution of coin holdings due to inflation.

Summary:
1. Existing coin holdings will not be affected by rebase
2. Tail reward to be implemented in the new code base will mirror Monero at 0.3 AEON/minute.
estenity

Activity: 1918
Merit: 535

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:28:11 AM

There have been a few questions about how the rebase will affect current coin holdings, whether there will be a 'coin swap' etc. The short answer is that coin holdings will be completely unaffected. The rebase is about introducing new software to support the same blockchain. Coins are unaffected and there will not need to be a swap. You will probably need to restore your wallet from seed or keys using the new wallet software.

On the question of tail reward there has been ongoing discussion of this over the years and it was recently brought up on the rebase thread. My call on this is to simply adopt the same tail reward as Monero (that is, 0.3 AEON/minute). As such the rebase work should just carry over Monero's existing tail reward code. I know there have been some suggestions to try to differentiate on this basis, possibly have an exponentially growing reward (fixed annual percentage instead of fixed amount), etc. I don't think they are a good idea. The economics of a fixed reward that likely converges to a sort of fixed-ish money supply (given some percentage of annual coin loss due to lost/erased keys, deaths, etc.) both "get the job done" in terms of the reasons a tail reward is needed and also strike a decent balance with concerns over a coin serving as a store of value not having infinite dilution of coin holdings due to inflation.

Summary:
1. Existing coin holdings will not be affected by rebase
2. Tail reward to be implemented in the new code base will mirror Monero at 0.3 AEON/minute.

very important precisions, thank you.
mohucool

Activity: 220
Merit: 101

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 04:15:49 PM

Guys what's upcoming news for Aeon, I hope it sees same growth as Monero in 2018 as Monero did this year or even better.

R A D I X   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   The Decentralized Finance Protocol
█████████ GET TOKENS █████████    Facebook      Telegram      Twitter
The Radix DeFi Protocol is    SCALABLE SECURE COMMUNITY DRIVEN
makko91

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:30:36 PM

I noticed that hash rate increased so much in the last months... this means that with the same hardware I will mine less AEON, right ?

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion  ✔  Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency  ✔  TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️    ★    ✔ VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
overboost

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:46:58 PM

Right.
It's getting harder to mine.
jbmustaq

Activity: 445
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:27:04 PM

Here comes the reality where inequality comes.

some people would not agree with me but the fact is large hashrate miners get the cream and less hashrate miners bear the burnt of mining on high difficulty and the fact is No Dev gives a damn about it as I see old coins & new coins the emphasis on the features but they don't think about the small hashrate miners who keep mining and support a coin.

Just to let you know I am not criticising anybody here but it's my perception of how virtual coins work.

stoffu

Activity: 203
Merit: 166

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 03:47:15 AM

I don't understand when people say a given coin is "easier" or "harder" to mine (assuming the PoW algorithm being the same). The more worth the coin, the higher the difficulty. The ratio between the capital in (electricity + equipment) and the capital out (mining reward) should stay roughly the same over a long enough time period.

Whether that mining reward will become worth more or less in the future, is just speculation.

Aeon is easier to mine with CPU compared to other coins thanks to the CryptoNight-Lite PoW algorithm, which is the main reason why I like this coin.
Anthony1985

Activity: 560
Merit: 251

Tic.eth

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 05:46:14 PM

How to store safely Aeon on a Mac? Is it possible to do it in a paper wallet? could I check the balance?

bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 04:04:53 AM

@Anthony1985. I reckon for anything Aeon related for the Mac, the best person to contact is sammy007. Keep in mind that I am only assuming that he is a Mac user because he made the bootstrap file for Mac OSX.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
overboost

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 07:52:17 AM

I don't understand when people say a given coin is "easier" or "harder" to mine (assuming the PoW algorithm being the same). The more worth the coin, the higher the difficulty. The ratio between the capital in (electricity + equipment) and the capital out (mining reward) should stay roughly the same over a long enough time period.
Whether that mining reward will become worth more or less in the future, is just speculation.
Aeon is easier to mine with CPU compared to other coins thanks to the CryptoNight-Lite PoW algorithm, which is the main reason why I like this coin.

Both sides are right.
It is getting harder to mine (one gets fewer coins as difficulty is getting higher in time). Cannot combat this argument, but...
At the same time as you stated capital in vs out should be balanced, therefore it is not "harder".
It's like looking at a 9 or at a 6, depends on which side you are.
We are all speculators here.
Pages: « 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 ... 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: