Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:09:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 ... 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709800 times)
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:07:38 PM

I don't see it that way. I see it as part of the risk if you offer paid utilities to someone. The rental agreement should include provisions to restrict or prohibit mining if the "landlord" doesn't want to pay for mining (or grow lamps, for that matter) as part of the electric.
Most criminals don't see it that way.  Justifying their crimes with clever imagination doesn't reduce the burden they dump upon their neighbors one tiny bit.  We all end up paying for your bullshit.  Taking electricity from educational institutions makes it 10 worse.
Most dorm rooms could only handle a miner or two at the most. I don't see it any different than a TV plugged in or a xbox or  refrigerator or stereo or lava lamp or any other type of entertainment item. I don't think it's ever going to become a data center of equipment. Nobody is taking anything, as people pay for the dorm and my son paid about $11000 a year for room and board at Notre Dame. His dorm room was built in 1928 shared it with 3 others and they had a total of 3 outlets for all 3 to share. It had no a/c and even one miner would have been hard to run but would have used no more electric than the tv, computers, refrigerator.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dsheaffer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:14:13 PM

Ha, I had 35-40 laptop antenna's I threw out a few months ago when I moved. Oh well, anyone who has access to an old scrap laptop could pull one out of there.

So....anyway...for those of you that offered meaningful advice...thank you.  I ordered some of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DP64JRG/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

And will let you know what they do for WiFi reception when I get batch 5 miners and install.  The U.fl pigtails and antenna combo is ridiculously inexpensive, so I figured I'f give them a whirl and share what happens on the forum.
CryptoGuy

Activity: 524
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:41:11 PM

This is gonna be a long weekend waiting for my S3's. They made a stop over in Alaska so no worries about shuffling around Shenzhen at least.  Grin

<Insert favorite coin here>
Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:55:58 PM

If anyone wants one of these but no btc I accept paypal and credit card through paypal just send me a PM or visit bitcoinminerz.com can also offer hosting services as well.

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
dlm1130

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 12:22:16 AM

Wish I could buy one of these but as a poor university student I definitely can't. My tuition of $4,800 could definitely buy some mining power.. Lol

If you live in a dorm with "FREE" electricity, you might be able to work a deal with someone. You host their miners and you get a cut of the earnings.  Grin

When my son goes back to school in August, I'm sending him my S1's to run for me in his dorm room.
Stealing from our universities!  Brilliant.  That is an excellent lesson to teach your kids.  

You know those universities and all of society still have to pay for that electricity and that consumption takes away from other areas the university could use the funds?  That electricity does not just come free out of thin air.  It really has to be paid for.  Just because it is hard to account for this consumption doesn't mean it is somehow 'free'.

Is burdening our universities with this extra expense really worth the few pennies in bitcoin you will receive?  The one part of society that can least afford loss of resources is our educational system.

What a dick.

I invite the entire bitcoin hashing community to call out this bad and criminal behavior of using other people's 'free' electricity.  This is mere theft of a profoundly irresponsible nature.  Please stop stealing electricity for hashing.
I don't see it that way. I see it as part of the risk if you offer paid utilities to someone. The rental agreement should include provisions to restrict or prohibit mining if the "landlord" doesn't want to pay for mining (or grow lamps, for that matter) as part of the electric.

I just recall my dormroom 20 years ago and I (and a roommate) could never have put up with the noise and heat from an S1 for more than 5 minutes.

s-1's are very quiet if they are undervolted  via pencil mods and  down clocked to freq 275 hash at 140gh with 180 watts.

I ran 3 at 420 gh and 560 watts  for 2 months.  in a friends office.  He has reduced power rates as per his lease agreement.  84 percent of 15 cents a kwatt drops him to 2.4 cents a kwatt.

Supposedly colleges all across the US are cracking down on this and prohibiting miners in the dorms this coming Fall semester. Some did so this past Spring and current Summer sessions. I recently picked up some S1s and PSUs from students returning to college because they could not have them there in the dorms.
axpguy

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 12:27:29 AM

This is gonna be a long weekend waiting for my S3's. They made a stop over in Alaska so no worries about shuffling around Shenzhen at least.  Grin

Same here! Mine are on UPS flight #63 en route to Louisville Worldhub. Its going to be a long weekend indeed.
Wonder how many S3's are on these daily flights?!  Grin
stevej

Activity: 118

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 12:28:31 AM

Most criminals don't see it that way.  Justifying their crimes with clever imagination doesn't reduce the burden they dump upon their neighbors one tiny bit.  We all end up paying for your bullshit.  Taking electricity from educational institutions makes it 10 worse.
Most dorm rooms could only handle a miner or two at the most. I don't see it any different than a TV plugged in or a xbox or  refrigerator or stereo or lava lamp or any other type of entertainment item. I don't think it's ever going to become a data center of equipment. Nobody is taking anything, as people pay for the dorm and my son paid about $11000 a year for room and board at Notre Dame. His dorm room was built in 1928 shared it with 3 others and they had a total of 3 outlets for all 3 to share. It had no a/c and even one miner would have been hard to run but would have used no more electric than the tv, computers, refrigerator.

Your are kidding aren't you...? Surely you know how much electricity a miner draws ??

An s1 miner uses 380 watts minimum at the wall, a TV or xbox or fridge would only use a fraction of that..
Its stealing power whichever way you look at it and I'm sure the Uni's are starting to wise up to all of this now..
rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 12:31:34 AM

One of my S3's overclocks like a beast!

The other sadly doesn't suffer the same fate! it's hashing at 430 at 218, any higher and the rate drops!

Make sure to keep that beast cool (sub 35C pref), they really don't like getting warm when you run them at 237/250MHz (hash rate starts dropping and you might get and x or two after 10h+ of running)
Phosphorous

Activity: 556

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 12:31:51 AM

Wish I could buy one of these but as a poor university student I definitely can't. My tuition of $4,800 could definitely buy some mining power.. Lol

If you live in a dorm with "FREE" electricity, you might be able to work a deal with someone. You host their miners and you get a cut of the earnings.  Grin

When my son goes back to school in August, I'm sending him my S1's to run for me in his dorm room.
Stealing from our universities!  Brilliant.  That is an excellent lesson to teach your kids.  

You know those universities and all of society still have to pay for that electricity and that consumption takes away from other areas the university could use the funds?  That electricity does not just come free out of thin air.  It really has to be paid for.  Just because it is hard to account for this consumption doesn't mean it is somehow 'free'.

Is burdening our universities with this extra expense really worth the few pennies in bitcoin you will receive?  The one part of society that can least afford loss of resources is our educational system.

What a dick.

I invite the entire bitcoin hashing community to call out this bad and criminal behavior of using other people's 'free' electricity.  This is mere theft of a profoundly irresponsible nature.  Please stop stealing electricity for hashing.

I just recall my dormroom 20 years ago and I (and a roommate) could never have put up with the noise and heat from an S1 for more than 5 minutes.

s-1's are very quiet if they are undervolted  via pencil mods and  down clocked to freq 275 hash at 140gh with 180 watts.

I ran 3 at 420 gh and 560 watts  for 2 months.  in a friends office.  He has reduced power rates as per his lease agreement.  84 percent of 15 cents a kwatt drops him to 2.4 cents a kwatt.

Supposedly colleges all across the US are cracking down on this and prohibiting miners in the dorms this coming Fall semester. Some did so this past Spring and current Summer sessions. I recently picked up some S1s and PSUs from students returning to college because they could not have them there in the dorms.
Exactly. If I was a landlord offering flat rent including utilities with no restrictions and a miner moved in, there's nothing I can do and it's perfectly legal and OK for them to use all the juice they can. I offered the electric and they accepted my terms and condition.

That's why smart landlords must be sure to restrict or prohibit mining. If you're violating a contract that is theft. If you're using electricity promised to you as part of your rental agreement, it is not theft.

Edited to add: I suppose a provision in the rental agreement about commercial use of the space could also be a violation to make it illegal.
dlm1130

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 12:32:52 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2014, 12:53:34 AM by dlm1130

This is gonna be a long weekend waiting for my S3's. They made a stop over in Alaska so no worries about shuffling around Shenzhen at least.  Grin

Same here! Mine are on UPS flight #63 en route to Louisville Worldhub. Its going to be a long weekend indeed.
Wonder how many S3's are on these daily flights?!  Grin

Fortunately 3 of mine made it here this week. One Batch 1 and two Batch 2. I have like 14 more Batch 2 ordered and paid for, but yet to receive a tracking number.
trackermut

Activity: 62

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 12:57:02 AM

Looking for some help with PSU choice for s3, have read a few people talking about running two S3 from one power supply, looking at Corsair 850HX 80 plus silver (£75), Corsair 750HX 80 plus silver and (£66) Evga 750 super nova 80plus bronze (£61). Will these psu run 2 machines ?  any user had experience or thoughts on running two S3 or S1 from these power supply's, Overclocked all my Antminer S1 from day one and none of them have ever missed a beat, reading posts on forum don't think i will overclocking the S3 for now. Currently use Corsair cx600m 80 plus bronze for  miners which cost me about £55 each have eight S3 from batch 4 if i could save £200 by using only 4psu goes a long way to helping with ROI, any help would be appreciated.
dlm1130

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 12:57:36 AM

What a dick.

Exactly. If I was a landlord offering flat rent including utilities with no restrictions and a miner moved in, there's nothing I can do and it's perfectly legal and OK for them to use all the juice they can. I offered the electric and they accepted my terms and condition.

That's why smart landlords must be sure to restrict or prohibit mining. If you're violating a contract that is theft. If you're using electricity promised to you as part of your rental agreement, it is not theft.

Edited to add: I suppose a provision in the rental agreement about commercial use of the space could also be a violation to make it illegal.

I have personally been out looking at office/warehouse space were as I might lease and setup my miners on commercial electricity rates, but thus far, everything I have looked at they are asking over $2K per month.
dlm1130

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 01:04:54 AM

Looking for some help with PSU choice for s3, have read a few people talking about running two S3 from one power supply, looking at Corsair 850HX 80 plus silver (£75), Corsair 750HX 80 plus silver and (£66) Evga 750 super nova 80plus bronze (£61). Will these psu run 2 machines ?  any user had experience or thoughts on running two S3 or S1 from these power supply's, Overclocked all my Antminer S1 from day one and none of them have ever missed a beat, reading posts on forum don't think i will overclocking the S3 for now. Currently use Corsair cx600m 80 plus bronze for  miners which cost me about £55 each have eight S3 from batch 4 if i could save £200 by using only 4psu goes a long way to helping with ROI, any help would be appreciated.

I have been running two S3 all week on a Thermaltake 750M with no issues. I am not overclocking.
kabopar

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 01:24:27 AM

There is a new S3 firmware image on the Bitmain support page: antMiner_S320140721.bin

Cheers
bobsav2121

Activity: 317
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 01:32:55 AM

Are there any "guides" on the web showing how to flash the firmware, I dont have a clue as to how it's done.
Thanks
Bob
futurovida

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 01:36:18 AM

any S3 coupon for sale? pm me.
dlm1130

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 01:39:26 AM

BTW - I am aware of guys running two S1s overclocked with the server power supplies and having no issues. Personally, I have not tried them. I have heard some claim they are loud. But I have been around those using them and found them to be fairly quiet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281359603322&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
bobsav2121

Activity: 317
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 01:54:52 AM

BTW - I am aware of guys running two S1s overclocked with the server power supplies and having no issues. Personally, I have not tried them. I have heard some claim they are loud. But I have been around those using them and found them to be fairly quiet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281359603322&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I use 8 of these and if you put DIP SWITCH 1 to the ON position they are quieter then ATX supplies. AND very little heat !
Lowell904

Activity: 119

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 01:58:44 AM

Has anyone successfully flashed the new firmware and kept their old settings?

What do you guys think about load balancing the pools?
I seem to be getting a few extra gh/s and my discards went down.

I still have a lot of discards though and I know others do as well, has anyone found a way to bring the discards down?
WheresWaldo

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 01:59:20 AM

One of my S3's overclocks like a beast!

The other sadly doesn't suffer the same fate! it's hashing at 430 at 218, any higher and the rate drops!
That is a lot of discarded shares, how does that work out?

Does anyone know how to change the command line arguments ran from cron for cgminer on antminer s3? I want to add scan-time and lower the queue, I'm getting way too many discarded it does not look good. Hashrate is steady and HW is low, but the discarded work on one of the miners is ridiculous

54m 56s

420.61 5s

429.34 avg
1,308 accepted
1 rejected
31 hw
1,233 discarded

PM Me. I've been trying to find someone to discuss this with for a few hours now. Default queue setting on the S3 is 4096, which just seems insane. I've been playing with adding scantime and expiry with little result. I have not touched the queue yet. I'm waiting to see if anyone knows my BMT set it so high to begin with.
lets just discuss here so others can chime in.... where did you edit the cgminer launch instructions
it is my understanding it is a cronjob running cgminer with launch options ?

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
Pages: « 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 ... 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: