Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 12:11:41 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312566 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:03:19 PM

You guys can correct me if I'm wrong but adding tor or ip2 will no necessitate a hard fork at all and can also be backward compatible.

Correct, no hard fork. Nothing related to how the nodes communicate with each other would require a hard fork, it is completely independent.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:05:22 PM

You guys can correct me if I'm wrong but adding tor or ip2 will no necessitate a hard fork at all and can also be backward compatible.

Correct, no hard fork. Nothing related to how the nodes communicate with each other would require a hard fork, it is completely independent.

in the spirit of RFC1149 we should make a MRL for Avian Carriers
(maybe when you are bored after a hard work day Wink )

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:06:12 PM

because you quoted yourself? LOL.

Because the quote implies that no matter which anonymous technology you pick, it will eventually be criminalized anyway.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:07:19 PM

Edit: Why would one pick a technology that is subject to regulation over one that is not?

Because masternodes don't transact money, and because:

I think it's guaranteed that some countries (USA very likely being one of them) will make all anonymous coins illegal eventually. At that point, it's imperative that the coin can run hidden under tor/i2p or some other solution.

Sure like US currency is illegal in the United States.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:08:19 PM

in the spirit of RFC1149 we should make a MRL for Avian Carriers
(maybe when you are bored after a hard work day Wink )

A bit OT but one of the more interesting proposals regarding Bitcoin (but applies to any coin) is to have a gateway that broadcasts transactions/blocks over a radio frequency. You could then at least receive payments without any active connection at all, just a passive receiver. You would only need a connection to send, but as you point out even  a carrier pigeon gateway could work for that.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:08:52 PM

Edit: Why would one pick a technology that is subject to regulation over one that is not?

I think it's guaranteed that some countries (USA very likely being one of them) will make all anonymous coins illegal eventually. At that point, it's imperative that the coin can run hidden under tor/i2p or some other solution.

Cash transactions above even a very modest size (e.g. 1000 EUR) are being made illegal in some countries and are already heavily restricted in the US. Not mention the implicit incremental cash ban of inflating away the value of the largest bill.

bitcoin4eva

Activity: 328

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:10:34 PM

I have to agree with you. If they have any reason to believe that Cryptocurrencies are threatening their own currency they'll make cryptos illegal to own. No idea how to control this kind of law though Cheesy
bitcoin4eva

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:12:20 PM

Cash transactions above even a very modest size (e.g. 1000 EUR) are being made illegal in some countries and are already heavily restricted in the US. Not mention the implicit incremental cash ban of inflating away the value of the largest bill.

I think in Finland cash deposits of over 1000 EUR via atm's are checked by bank and if you go to the bank with over 2000 EUR they'll ask a few questions on where you got the money from.
bitcoin4eva

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:13:06 PM

I have to agree with you. If they have any reason to believe that Cryptocurrencies are threatening their own currency they'll make cryptos illegal to own. No idea how to control this kind of law though Cheesy

its very simple, you shut down the internet Cheesy

Yea cause its easy to do, just pull down the switch in the White House Cheesy
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:17:23 PM

"Guaranteed" is a ridiculous assessment at this stage. At least try to back it up with some observable trend that is happening or at the very least why it can't go any other way in your opinion.
I think they could rather closely watch and regulate exchanges and track and tax transactions - withdrawing fiat or people buying goods/services above certain fiat amount.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:20:53 PM

"Guaranteed" is a ridiculous assessment at this stage. At least try to back it up with some observable trend that is happening or at the very least why it can't go any other way in your opinion.
I think they could rather closely watch and regulate exchanges and track and tax transactions - withdrawing fiat or people buying goods/services above certain fiat amount.

The claim was that anonymous would be made illegal. I agree "guaranteed" is incorrect, but in this case by definition the countries wouldn't be able to track transactions, so that isn't a reason they wouldn't do it.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:22:02 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2015, 10:48:21 PM by illodin

Just think how dangerous anonymous money can be to them compared to stuff they have already banned and it seems clear what's gonna happen. And as a cop-out/disclaimer, I said "some countries", so it's enough for my vision to come true if Vanuatu bans it. Smiley
onemorexmr

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:25:43 PM

Just think how dangerous anonymous money can be to them compared to stuff they have already banned and it's seems clear what's gonna happen.

many people thought the same will happen to bitcoin.
but what happend? KYC/AML and regular compliance.

i think the same will happen to all anon coins.
governments are slow - cryptos are fast. as soon as we have good adoption around the world they have lost.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:32:20 PM

The claim was that anonymous would be made illegal. I agree "guaranteed" is incorrect, but in this case by definition the countries wouldn't be able to track transactions, so that isn't a reason they wouldn't do it.

well, sure i see your point. however i am not sure we agree on what does illegal mean in this case. i am trying to argue that rather than straight out banning the crypto, it could be so strongly regulated, that you would not be able to convert it to real-world assets without a proper paperwork and tracking.

USD banknotes work the same way. Facilitating black markets but you can't really easily get that money into light without rising suspicion. I am not sure how it works but i am pretty sure you can't just walk into a bank and deposit a million dollars just like that.

on the other hand, i am sure that there will be countries banning crypto completely - there are many countries in the world. USA? not sure which way they will decide to go.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:47:20 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2015, 11:45:31 PM by ArticMine

In the United States and in Canada there are requirements that one report cash or bearer instrument transactions over a certain size and in certain circumstances but they are not illegal. In certain parts of the EU there are restrictions on merchants accepting cash for transactions over a certain amount. I also suspect that it is a matter of time before cryptocurrency regardless of how anonymous it is will be treated the same as cash is this respect.

As for cryptocurrency being made illegal in those countries with convertible widely traded currencies such as the US, EU, Canada etc the chances are very low and all indicators are against a move toward banning cryptocurrency. What we are seeing and will see is the regulation of all the intermediary players and service providers. It is for this reason that DRK has a much higher regulatory risk than XBT, or XMR, since the masternodes due to their limited number are a prime target for regulation. I would say the same for semi centralized structures such as delegated proof of stake, and currencies such as Ripple and Ethereum. In those countries with exchange controls for example Iceland, China etc., the changes are very high that cryptocurrency will be made illegal or already has.

Spending some time understanding how government regulation actually works, will go a long way to understanding  what the regulatory risks actually are. I stand by my position that a pure POW decentralized crypto-currency such as XBT or XMR has very little regulatory risk at the protocol level; furthermore there is already a fair amount of information on where the regulators actually stand. This in not the case at all with a very large proportion of the alt-coins and assets on the market today. The key thing to understand here is that any amount of centralization no matter how small will likely attract government regulation.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
bitcoin4eva

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:53:07 PM

In the United States and in Canada there are requirements that one report cash or bearer instrument transactions over a certain size and in certain circumstances but they are not illegal. In certain parts of the EU there are restrictions on merchants accepting cash for transactions over a certain amount. I also suspect that it is a matter of time before cryptocurrency regardless of how anonymous it is will be treated the same as cash is this respect.

As for cryptocurrency being made illegal in those countries with convertible widely traded currencies such as the US, EU, Canada etc the chances are very low and all indicators are against a move toward banning cryptocurrecny. What we are seeing and will see is the regulation of all the intermediary players and service providers. It is for this reason that DRK has a much higher regulatory risk than XBT, or XMR, since the masternodes due to their limited number are a prime target for regulation. I would say the same for semi centralized structures such as delegated proof of stake, and currencies such as Ripple and Ethereum. In those countries with exchange controls for example Iceland, China etc., the changes are very high that cryptocurrency will be made illegal or already has.

Spending some time understanding how government regulation actually works, will go a long way to unuderstanding  what the regulatory risks actually are. I stand by my position that a pure POW decentralized crypto-currency such as XBT or XMR has very little regulatory risk at the protocol level; furthermore there is already a fair amount of information on where the regulators actually stand. This in not the case at all with a very large proportion of the alt-coins and assets on the market today. The key thing to understand here is that any amount of centralization no matter how small will likely attract government regulation.

I really like you Grin It would be really hard for governments to regulate Crypto users, even harder than cash payment users. All kinds of credit cards are easy to follow but they have no possible way to follow every cash payment. Same goes with Crypto payments.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:07:00 PM

Just think how dangerous anonymous money can be to them compared to stuff they have already banned and it seems clear what's gonna happen. And as a cop-out/disclaimer, I said "some countries", so it's enough for my vision to come true if Vanuatu bans it. Smiley

In countries with exchange controls expect them to treat XBT or XMR the same as USD cash. In many cases this will mean either illegal or a very unfavourable exchange rate through "official" channels.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 02:26:15 AM

In certain parts of the EU there are restrictions on merchants accepting cash for transactions over a certain amount.

It was my understanding (perhaps incorrect?) that these laws prohibited even private party cash transactions, not just merchant transactions.

Assuming correct (if not, wait a little while and it probably will be), this same law could likely apply to anonymous virtual coin transactions between private parties.

Anyway, at the moment I don't see much of a movement toward banning virtual currencies, and this is indeed somewhat surprising relative to expectations a few years ago, although I think the winds could shift on that, especially with respect to untraceable virtual currencies. Nothing is certain though.
onemorexmr

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 02:32:31 AM

In certain parts of the EU there are restrictions on merchants accepting cash for transactions over a certain amount.

It was my understanding (perhaps incorrect?) that these laws prohibited even private party cash transactions, not just merchant transactions.

Assuming correct (if not, wait a little while and it probably will be), this same law could likely apply to anonymous virtual coin transactions between private parties.

in germany private cash transfer are unlimited. most private car trades are made in cash (reasoning is if the seller claims insolvency he keeps the car and the money - with cash its not possible)

BUT:
 - many companies have limits (e.g. "Deutsche Post" 2500€)
 - you have to explain yourself to your bank when depositing (i even had to explain myself once when i sold gold (directly at my bank) for just(!) 500€)

but i think you are right that cash will be more restricted.

dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 02:35:13 AM

Well someones feeling bullish again and has turned their 1 xmr/2 secs buy bot back on lol  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: