Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:21:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 [886] 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312390 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 09:09:55 PM

The key breakthrough is to remove the simultaneity requirement (lol, I am the one who fixes Gregory Maxwell's broken CoinJoin in 10 minutes of my spare time while my head is deep in designing a programming language)

And, sadly, the margin of this forum is too small to include the proof.

Should you one day find a margin large enough to contain substantial reviewable work in your lengthy tribulations through the Internet, give us a shout.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sockpuppet1

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 09:14:26 PM

The key breakthrough is to remove the simultaneity requirement (lol, I am the one who fixes Gregory Maxwell's broken CoinJoin in 10 minutes of my spare time while my head is deep in designing a programming language)

And, sadly, the margin of this forum is too small to include the proof.

Should you one day find a margin large enough to contain substantial reviewable work in your lengthy tribulations through the Internet, give us a shout.

Enjoy your snobbery (just like your xerox copies Shen-noether and Gmaxwell). It won't help you. You only make me hate Monero more when you do that.

I am moving too fast to worry about your need for a proof. You think I care what you think. Why would I? Are you offering me anything. Can you help me create a programming language. Can you help me code a crypto-currency. Will you pay me anything for providing a proof. No.

Monero = Communism.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 09:22:34 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2016, 09:43:39 PM by ArticMine

ArticMine it is pitiful that you are a Copy-leftist, who believes in viral licenses and forcing free software. You Communist. As Eric Raymond says, "stop all the oppressive licenses and use permissive licences. You are scaring the fuck out of the corporate world, and not without their justified reason to be scared". I prefer the Unlicense. You kill open source with that Richard Stallman Communism, because then for-profits are scared to use open source.

I deleted the post. On the subject of copyleft I remain a strong supporter of strong copyleft software licenses.

As for equating copyleft software licensing with communism, nothing can be further from the truth. In fact copyleft software licensing particularly the GPL v3 and AGPL v3 can be a very powerful weapon against the very kind of censorship that was prevalent in say the Soviet Union of the 1950's and still is in prevalent in China today.  What difference is there if one's ideas or entrepreneurship is censored by the Soviet Politburo or the Apple iTunes Censor Board. It is still censored and a significant percentage of the world's population is denied access to the ideas or the entrepreneurship. In some cases both types of censorship work together as when Apple used its DRM to censor the teachings of the Dalai Lama at the behest of the Communist Government of China. http://www.pcworld.com/article/185604/article.html This by the way is the very same DRM that Apple currently uses to censor the Monero project, and Apple used to censor Bitcoin from 2009 - 2014.  Furthermore Apple used the same DRM again to frustrate a perfectly legitimate anti-terrorism investigation, until the FBI found a third party who could crack the DRM.

Monero doesn't use any copyleft licenses and doesn't have any plans to so it is kind of off topic.

On the surface this of course is true; however if one digs deeper one finds that strong copyleft licenses such as the the GPL v3 and AGPL v3 are critical in frustrating and preventing the kind of DRM that when combined a proprietary operating system can easily break the fungibility and privacy of Monero for the majority of users. If the Operating system is compromised all the secret keys are available to the DRM / proprietary software overlord regardless of how many mixins one uses.

Here are some sobering thoughts. One company Microsoft controls, over 90% of all computer operating systems in the world. This same company is moving towards locked bootloaders, has highly invasive DRM built right into its proprietary operating system and is also a founding member of the PRISM program. A second company, Apple, controls over 7% of the remaining computer operating systems. this company is also a member of the PRISM program and has already censored content at the behest of totalitarian governments. This leaves under 2% of all computers in the world under the actual control of their users. The latter run operating systems that are dominated by strong copyleft software licenses.

If Microsoft and Apple are scared of copyleft that is a very good thing in order to preserve freedom.  

Edit 1: sockpuppet1: Apology accepted, thanks

Edit 2: This is very positive. Microsoft may have already blinked by letting the GNU (GPL v3) into the heart of Windows. https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/03/30/run-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windows/

Edit 3

Monero = Communism.

Nothing is further from the truth.

As for: Proprietary Software and DRM = Communism, that is not true either. Proprietary Software and DRM offer most the disadvantages of Communism with none of its benefits.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
sockpuppet1

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 09:43:36 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2016, 10:05:31 PM by sockpuppet1

As for equating copyleft software licensing with communism, nothing can be further from the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b17ggwkR60#t=675 (make sure you listen to 14:15 and learn something about how anti-productive your attitude is)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43baAbAZhFM ("marketing...")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGnbw1QF1e8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ZyX5sN2NA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw58LZTuZjA (Linus thinks you are clinically insane)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b17ggwkR60#t=561
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 10:09:31 PM

I am moving too fast to worry about your need for a proof. You think I care what you think. Why would I? Are you offering me anything. Can you help me create a programming language. Can you help me code a crypto-currency. Will you pay me anything for providing a proof. No.

Monero = Communism.

That's not clear actually. There is a funding system, as with anyone, you are free to pitch your proposal.
sockpuppet1

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 10:27:54 PM

Monero = Communism.

That's not clear actually. There is a funding system, as with anyone, you are free to pitch your proposal.

I don't see why Monero would want to pay me to fix Dash.

And I don't see why I owe anyone a proof. Everyone is free to ignore my claim.

The personal snide insults crap turns me off. (not from you smooth, but Shen is not a person I would want to collaborate with based on my last interaction with him ... actually I had forgotten about him and this issue reminded me of the very grrrrr feelings I have about him...)

Also why would Monero pay me to provide an idea? First they would want to vet the idea before paying, but then they wouldn't need to pay for the idea.

Monero is pay some measily amounts maybe $1500 or so for many man-hours of work. I have more important priorities than that.

If Dash wanted to pay me something for the idea, and it was worth my time to explain it to them, then we'd have a no hassle deal. Otherwise, I'll just hold it close to my chest and offer it to one of my angel investors who has funded me.

The idea didn't take me very much time (although one could say it is a product of all the vast effort I put into studying). So I don't expect that much. If Dash offers me a reasonable token amount, I'll offer it to them. My angel investor gets it for free (and he is a prolific coder in crypto), because I owe him results which have been slow to come to fruition.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 10:32:35 PM

Monero = Communism.

I don't see why Monero would want to pay me to fix Dash.

Oh sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to some improvement to Monero.

And I don't see why I owe anyone a proof. Everyone is free to ignore my claim.

You don't, but don't expect anyone to pay you for an unproven idea, and if they don't it doesn't mean Communism, in fact more the opposite. Ideas are usually worth literally nothing without the hard work of either applying them in practice or at least working through the details and writing down a precise methods for applying them in practice.

sockpuppet1

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 10:34:11 PM

You don't, but don't expect anyone to pay you for an unproven idea, and if they don't it doesn't mean Communism

Smooth I never expected anyone here in this thread to pay me anything. I never insinuated that. Reread the past few posts.

I was responding to MoneroMooo's implied demand for proof of my claim. Just because I don't provide proof to him, he feels that makes me fair game for him to make snide remark about me. Fine. Hopefully he will get his proof in terms of a new Dash feature announcement. We'll see. Last year I offered my Zero Knowledge Transactions to BBR (for free!), and zoid never replied. So maybe Dash won't contact me, which will prove they aren't really serious at all.

Everyone back to your regularly scheduled programming. I have work to do and will exit again.

The Communism is attacking someone's reputation when they don't provide you proof for free. Tactics. Cripes, I was just letting you all know I had discovered something. Next time why bother to alert you, when it means I will be attacked for not giving away my work for free.

MoneroMooo doesn't seem to know how to read my thread and learn a little bit about who I am. Does MoneroMooo even know what the Lambda Cube is. He belittles me because he doesn't know my capabilities. Fine. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 10:42:57 PM

I do not care much what it is you are trying to hype this time.
My point is just that you persist in the hawking, and do nothing. If you continue doing this, you will end up frustrated and angry, and without having helped humanity.
A proof allows others to build upon, find flaws, and better what you are working on, so you can in turn find flaws, and better it. This is the whole point of free software. We stand on the shoulders of giants. I invite you to try to do so as well. I think everyone would gain from it.

sockpuppet1

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 10:44:46 PM

My point is just that you persist in the hawking, and do nothing.

What is the Lambda Cube? Dumb ass.

I am not hyping you retard. If you had the ability to even understand what I am writing at the Rust forum, you'd shut your trap.

Bye!

I am out of this retarded thread.

It is because of aholes like you, that I will destroy Monero. Just because you piss me off.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2016, 11:07:26 PM

Enjoy your snobbery (just like your xerox copies Shen-noether and Gmaxwell). It won't help you. You only make me hate Monero more when you do that.

Monero = Communism.

Thread derailed; good job comrade.

Is sockpuppet1 the real thing or another Annoymint parody account?

I invoke Poe's Law!   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 11:29:03 PM

My point is just that you persist in the hawking, and do nothing. If you continue doing this, you will end up frustrated and angry, and without having helped humanity.
A proof allows others to build upon, find flaws, and better what you are working on, so you can in turn find flaws, and better it. This is the whole point of free software. We stand on the shoulders of giants. I invite you to try to do so as well. I think everyone would gain from it.

This lies at the heart as to why proprietary software development and DRM are doomed to fail. I have an Idea and I want to sell it, so I must keep it a secret and add lots of DRM to prevent anyone else from evaluating and vetting the idea, because someone else might copy it. Furthermore I then turn everyday devices in Orwellian surveillance tools and lobby the state to make a criminal offense to circumvent the DRM and gain control the devices one owns. Of course all the secrets and DRM only attempt to prevent anyone from finding out if the idea even works, or even if the idea puts the health and life of innocent people at risk.

Intellectual property is the battleground of the 21st century. One can attempt to protect "Intellectual Property" and be on the side of tyranny or one can choose freedom.

Great videos. Eric S. Raymond and Linus Torvalds make very good cases for Free LIbre Open Source Software and actually complement Richard M. Stallman's views. Different opinions with fundamentally similar objectives are actually a strength not a weakness.

Edit: Eventually the truth will come out as happened in the case of Volkswagen. Unfortunately many people in Europe had a premature death because of Volkswagen's proprietary software and DRM.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 11:47:22 PM

Dash contacted me.

You'll get your proof in the form of a REKTing of Monero.

Compliments of the assholes who think I haven't accomplished anything. Enjoy the ass whooping you have coming.

We shall see. Enjoy your Dash windfall.

dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2016, 11:55:59 PM

i was thinking about buying into xmr does it have a GUI yet? i am holding sdc also but thinking about diversifying
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 12:01:23 AM

i was thinking about buying into xmr does it have a GUI yet? i am holding sdc also but thinking about diversifying

No official GUI yet. It is under development. Of course whether it is better to purchase XMR before or after the official GUI comes out is a matter of speculation.

instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 12:03:12 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2016, 12:30:09 AM by instacalm

Please be patient. The official GUI will be released in 2036.
/s
bigfryguy

Activity: 416
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 12:09:07 AM

Please be patient. The official GUI will be released in 2036.

(applause)  finally a set date on the client side GUI

dadon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2016, 12:13:14 AM

ok well 2036 is a long while away? why so long? does XMR have some type of amazing new tech they will unveil in 2036  Shocked quantum GUI ? and whats this?Huh

Everything OK?? Should i buy some XMR?? HELP ME??
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 12:18:51 AM

ok well 2036 is a long while away? why so long? does XMR have some type of amazing new tech they will unveil in 2036  Shocked quantum GUI ? and whats this?Huh

The V2 block issue was patched 4 months ago. https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/2452/monero-network-malicious-fork-from-block-913193-updates-and-resolution

... of course one can also wait until 2036  Wink

dadon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2016, 12:23:55 AM

The V2 block issue was patched 4 months ago. https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/2452/monero-network-malicious-fork-from-block-913193-updates-and-resolution

... of course one can also wait until 2036  Wink
OH Great to hear will have to grab some don't have much time 2036 is just around the corner, don't want to miss the train! toot! toot!  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 [886] 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: