Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:02:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 [972] 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312397 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 01:06:26 AM

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 02:49:31 AM

As I see it, in 5 days, the bfx btc balances become eligible for transfer, at which time I expect some to flow into XMR.  It seemed like about 5% of DAO panic funds ended up in XMR.  Maybe 100kBTC flees bfx on Sunday, and about 0.5% (SWAG) of that flows into XMR, moving market cap by about 12%.

Totally wild guesses on those numbers, though.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 03:45:01 AM

Until this pattern of higher highs and higher lows is decisively broken, I can no longer justify my cheap/dear brackets. Nothing is too dear if the price is up every single week, week in and week out.  You can't make a market if you can never buy cheaper than you sell.

Frankly, I have run out of xmr I am willing to sell before GUI/RingCT/mulitsig levels are discovered.  Hopefully other players will provide liquidity at these levels. Sadly I let my book get too imbalanced, so I am out of business for now.  Cold wallets are sacrosanct.

I am leaving bids scattered in hope that someone decides to buy a boat, but my hopes for a fill are slim.

Market making with a crypto currency like Monero can be very trough. As you correctly point out the market is going to have to find the appropriate levels after the GUI, and also after RingCT/multisig.

Edit: There is also the question of 0.0042-0.0043 XBT levels form a technical perspective. Monero has been in a trading range from 0.0009-0.0043 XBT since August 2014. A breakout from this trading range could be very sharp. 

Most of the users that post in this thread probably would agree (they can chime in, perhaps I am wrong in my assumption) that "finding" the price is implicit that the price could fall as well, which it could.

I suspect good news such as more usability with a GUI and better privacy features with RingCT will net a higher found price than as of late.

Just my two cents.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 03:48:48 AM

As I see it, in 5 days, the bfx btc balances become eligible for transfer, at which time I expect some to flow into XMR.  It seemed like about 5% of DAO panic funds ended up in XMR.  Maybe 100kBTC flees bfx on Sunday, and about 0.5% (SWAG) of that flows into XMR, moving market cap by about 12%.

Or maybe people will get their BFX balances and transfer it out and have an epiphany to also draw their funds out of XMR too and go back to fiat funny munny.

Tongue

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

birr

Activity: 869
Merit: 585

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 04:27:24 AM

Or maybe people will get their BFX balances and transfer it out and have an epiphany to also draw their funds out of XMR too and go back to fiat funny munny.

Tongue
It's gunna be a funny munny epifunny
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 06:02:22 AM

How could it get better than this?  A neat little pullback!   So happy that my game is back on, if only in a small way - BTC alone is dead money these days.

bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 06:33:02 AM

How could it get better than this?  A neat little pullback!   So happy that my game is back on, if only in a small way - BTC alone is dead money these days.
Thanks for posting in this sub, enjoy reading your posts. I wonder, since I am not in the trading game. You (day) trade but mention you have cold storage as well which is sacrosanct (that feeling I maybe irrationally, do know). Is this common for anything you trade, or is it because of the extreme potential upside of cryptocurrency in particular?

Secondly I wonder what the balance between cold storage and trading money could or should be. Based on your remark about the pullback, I would assume the cold storage part is percentage wise rather small? Or do you really separate the two in your mind, and are basically fine any direction the price goes?

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Dumb broad

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 06:59:14 AM

Most of the users that post in this thread probably would agree (they can chime in, perhaps I am wrong in my assumption) that "finding" the price is implicit that the price could fall as well, which it could.

I suspect good news such as more usability with a GUI and better privacy features with RingCT will net a higher found price than as of late.

Just my two cents.

There are always three possibilities  (up/down/straight on) in any trading scenario imho.  But unless something wild happens (and lets face it in crypto, something wild is never far away) XMR does seem to be incredibly under-valued at present esp compared to say ETH which is x7 price.

We just seem to need a catalyst now: some good news either technical or in terms of market adoption for the price to find a new, higher, trading range.

Personally I'm watching hawkishly to ensure I don't get caught out by some giant green candle.

bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 10:58:08 AM

Just my two cents.

There are always three possibilities  (up/down/straight on) in any trading scenario imho.  But unless something wild happens (and lets face it in crypto, something wild is never far away) XMR does seem to be incredibly under-valued at present esp compared to say ETH which is x7 price.

We just seem to need a catalyst now: some good news either technical or in terms of market adoption for the price to find a new, higher, trading range.

Personally I'm watching hawkishly to ensure I don't get caught out by some giant green candle.

It is actually x40, not even considering ETH Classic.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 12:51:50 PM

Just my two cents.

There are always three possibilities  (up/down/straight on) in any trading scenario imho.  But unless something wild happens (and lets face it in crypto, something wild is never far away) XMR does seem to be incredibly under-valued at present esp compared to say ETH which is x7 price.

It is actually x40, not even considering ETH Classic.

Maybe you are thinking market cap?  Price is not x40

我想要火箭和火车
novag

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

novag

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 01:08:55 PM

Coin market still wavering and resolute, waiting for positive news, however big or small coin holders are mostly playing a long game that is only for the benefit of the coin and it just pushes the price higher and higher and will push to at least 0.01

Donate for the support of a new Martial arts Style - Aikivindo = Aikido + Wing-Chun (in Ukraine) 5168757318423326 PrivatBank.
http://aikivindo.com.ua
BTC:1DpRaQjdVmrkSopRV8p9RdwvBMWNA9faCS
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 01:59:49 PM

Maybe you are thinking market cap?  Price is not x40

When comparing different coins the relevant parameter is market cap, not price. The combined market cap of both Ethers is over 46x that of Monero.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 02:11:34 PM

Maybe you are thinking market cap?  Price is not x40

When comparing different coins the relevant parameter is market cap, not price. The combined market cap of both Ethers is over 46x that of Monero.

Yes, comparing price without accounting for supply is totally irrelevant and completely useless.

Comparing market caps is somewhat more useful, with a large dose of caveats.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 04:48:22 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2016, 06:45:38 PM by aminorex

You (day) trade but mention you have cold storage as well which is sacrosanct (that feeling I maybe irrationally, do know). Is this common for anything you trade, or is it because of the extreme potential upside of cryptocurrency in particular?

Extreme upside.

Secondly I wonder what the balance between cold storage and trading money could or should be. Based on your remark about the pullback, I would assume the cold storage part is percentage wise rather small? Or do you really separate the two in your mind, and are basically fine any direction the price goes?

I am 90% cold storage.  That is the measure of extremity on the upside.  For the day trading, I just need volatility, but if it runs away from me, like yesterday, I end up all btc, or all xmr, which means an end to any possibility of gains.

.00336 yesterday was nice, but .00325 today was brilliant for me. I now have enough xmr to keep a reasonably balanced book, again.  Lower still would be nice, as I still have more BTC than I want, but that seems unlikely, as the dip to 325k filled the intraday gap up from 9 August.  One a gap gets filled, it tends to mean support.  I will be more cautious about selling now, as I can't guarantee such cooperative markets in future.!

In other instruments I take a more agnostic view.  I usually only trade very liquid things, SPUs, treasuries, oil, gold, FX, and there my edge comes from swing timing and risk control.  It's a completely different game.  I adore XMR and consider market making to be a positive contribution.  I want any gains I make to be part of a win-win scenario, for XMR.  Heck if I was making too much gain, I would dial it down, just to avoid creating losers in the XMR markets.

In contrast, I want to rape central banks.  I am too small to do that effectively, but I do manage to eke out a bit of pillage in the macro world from time to time.  

Speaking of which, the macro instrument markets today look like a false move, technically.  I can see maybe 3 more days of upside in oil, but I am very skeptical of gold, treasury strength, and of DXY weakness, and think these will trend oppositely real soon.  I look for an oil bottom around November.  I still think gold should correct into the 1200s before resuming the major uptrend.

Edit: Nevermind about oil upside.  That died before I even wrote the text above.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 06:18:42 PM

Weekly BBA $XMR Price Report

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4x2t5a/weekly_bba_xmr_price_report/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 09:09:03 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2016, 10:53:11 PM by ArticMine

Yes, comparing price without accounting for supply is totally irrelevant and completely useless.

Comparing market caps is somewhat more useful, with a large dose of caveats.

Yes, there are important caveats with market capitalization; however when it comes crypto currency it can be a critical component and in many cases is superior to price. The key caveat with market capitalization in my mind the ratio of 24 hr trading volume to market capitalization. By 24 hr trading volume I mean bona fide trades between sellers and buyers that are at arms length. Furthermore it should not be possible to manipulate market capitalization by issuing additional coins which for what ever reason cannot be brought to the market or are held by "insiders" who choose to not bring them to market.

A healthy ratio for (24 hr trading volume) / (market capitalization) is over 1% when the average of this ratio is taken over time. Monero and both the Ethers meet this requirement but for example Bytecoin dramatically does not.

Another area where market capitalization is very critical is when performing long term technical analysis on price. Technical analysis was developed for trading stocks where market capitalization is actually equivalent to price. It can and does work well for crypto currencies for a time frame where one can reasonably approximate market capitalization with price. BBA for example provides technical analysis for XMR, DASH, ETC and ETH. Approximating market capitalization with price works well for ETH or ETC since their inception because the bulk of the coins were premined, may work reasonably well Dash from its inception because of the instamine; however in the case of Monero any technical analysis based solely on price that goes back to the launch of Monero in 2014 should be taken with a serious grain of salt. I am in particular referring to the treating the 0.01111 XBT ATH in May 2014 as a serious resistance level. This chart provides a simple pictorial reason as to why. https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/monero/#charts

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Dumb broad

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 01:32:04 AM

</sigh>

How to build a movement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8amMCVAJQ

or "let me list your technical inaccuracies".  Tongue

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2016, 02:12:06 PM

http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-trojan-mines-for-cryptocurrency-using-misconfigured-redis-database-servers-507115.shtml

Linux.Lady mines for the Monero digital currency
Once the C&C server is informed of the creation of a new bot, it sends over a configuration file, which Linux.Lady uses to start a cryptocurrency mining program that generates digital currency for the crook's account.

The trojan mines for a cryptocurrency named Monero, the same one used by the author of the PhotoMiner worm that self-propagated through vulnerable FTP servers.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-trojan-mines-for-cryptocurrency-using-misconfigured-redis-database-servers-507115.shtml#ixzz4H26UWPI1

The question is, whens the dump?

edited to add: oh, there's only 1000 xmr earned so far.

And why the address is blurred out is beyond me. Maybe that wasn't by the AV company but from someone else.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 04:05:55 PM

http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-trojan-mines-for-cryptocurrency-using-misconfigured-redis-database-servers-507115.shtml

Linux.Lady mines for the Monero digital currency
Once the C&C server is informed of the creation of a new bot, it sends over a configuration file, which Linux.Lady uses to start a cryptocurrency mining program that generates digital currency for the crook's account.

The trojan mines for a cryptocurrency named Monero, the same one used by the author of the PhotoMiner worm that self-propagated through vulnerable FTP servers.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-trojan-mines-for-cryptocurrency-using-misconfigured-redis-database-servers-507115.shtml#ixzz4H26UWPI1

And why the address is blurred out is beyond me. Maybe that wasn't by the AV company but from someone else.

Pretty nice to see tech savvy folk finally noticing Monero and actually starting to use it.
It even made headlines on Slashdot which is an old-school mainstream web site for geeks.
https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/08/10/237230/linux-trojan-mines-for-cryptocurrency-using-misconfigured-redis-servers
However in the discussion below the article nobody discusses Monero or anonymity.
I think people are still confused and think crypto is anonymous by default (even tech savvy, i was quite surprised recently - and there is the other group that are smarter but think bitcoin mixers are a workable solution).
Slashdot people are ignorant and don't understand bitcoin and they were bashing 'BitCoin' as scam for a long time Smiley
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 06:53:23 PM

You assume this particular black hat is smart enough to design a Linux malware (impressive AF already) and have it mine Monero of all things vs more profitable coins (means he/she/ze knows exactly what makes Monero superior) and yet has no faith in Monero as a long term store of value. 

I find that unlikely. 

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Pages: « 1 ... 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 [972] 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: